200 kgs of dog meat seized in Sakhon Nakhon

Lite Beer

200 kgs of dog meat seized in Sakhon Nakhon

10-21-2014-7-13-51-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

SAKHON NAKHON: -- Police and the army seized about 200 kilogrammes of dog meat at a house in TambonTha Rae, Pone Na Kaew district of Sakhon Nakhon province today.

The houseowner, Mr Aekachai Amhula, admitted that he bought the dog meat from an illegal slaughter house in Na kae district of Nakhon Phanom at 40 baht a kilo and planned to turn the meat into dried dog meat for sale to his customers in Sakhon Nakhon.

The authorities searched four locations in TambonTha Rae following a tipoff that dog meat was on sale there but they found the illegal meat only in Aekachai’s house.

Aekachai was taken into custody on charge of selling illegal meat.

Tambon Tha Rae is notorious for being the hub of dog meat as many residents of Vietnamese descent prefer to eat the meat. Nevertheless, the number of dog meat eaters has declined substantially.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/200-kgs-dog-meat-seized-sakhonnakhon/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-21

Obviously, there is a market for dog meat. Right now it has the status of 'bush meat' which is not always processed under sanitary conditions. Just as any other commercial animal farming, the government should protect the consumer by legalizing and regulating the trade. One thing I learned in Thailand: If people want to do, or not do, something, the authorities are rather helpless to force or stop them.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say the authorities are helpless to force or stop them. I think it's more like the authorities don't even attempt or selectively attempt depending on a variety of factors like tea money being paid to look the other way on illegal activities. Happens in every country, but Thailand sure seems to be a Hub for such activity.

• Like 1

"Tambon Tha Rae is notorious for being the hub of dog meat as many residents of Vietnamese descent prefer to eat the meat".

I've spoken to a few Thai's that have eaten dog meat and like it a lot, it's not confined to Vietnamese.

It is very common for rural Thais to eat dog, or anything that moves for that matter. There are still "underground" restaurants" here and there, ignored by the police. The one I have seen in Nong Khai has been in the same spot, selling black dog, for about 7 years now. Everyone knows about it, no one cares.

But if you really think about it, how can any law stop someone from eating an animal they want to eat? Even if they shut down everything that is in the open, there is nothing stopping Somchai from eating a random dog he finds.

If okay to eat one animal then should be okay to eat another as long as it doesn't lead to extinction. There are a number of countries people eat animals like dogs or horses while people in other countries find it wrong and then some find eating cows wrong too. Nobody should have a say of what type of animals somebody wants to eat as long as it is doesn't pose a health risk to others. I have never tried things like dog or horse and wouldn't just because of the society & culture that programmed me but then again if it came down to survival would would guess not many of us would have an issue with throwing some dog meat on the BBQ or frying up some maggots.

If people wanted to eat other humans rather than burying or cremating them, got no problem with that either and might even lesson the number of starving people ... let people be organ donors or meat donors.

Not for me but also not for me to force my beliefs on others.

• Like 2

If there was a natural disaster, these people would be the first to demand rescue dogs search for them.

I would say tough shit, you eat them, and have no respect for them, so you can't use them for anything else.

How many of the butchered dogs were peoples stolen pets?

• Like 1

"Tambon Tha Rae is notorious for being the hub of dog meat as many residents of Vietnamese descent prefer to eat the meat".

I've spoken to a few Thai's that have eaten dog meat and like it a lot, it's not confined to Vietnamese.

Dog meat is good and tasty. Its not like its an endangered species or anything, Just another animal at the end of the day when its all chopped up. (dosnt taste like chicken tho ) not sure about the type in Thailand but usually in Vietnam now they are bred for farming.

And before people get all outraged and claim a dogs smart blah blah blah... a pig is smarter than a dog and i dont see anyone batting an eyelid about that.

Ask a Thai if they would eat rabbit or a baby sheep youll mostly get the same reaction as others would to eating dog. When you think about it, the only reason not to eat dog is purely social conditioning and etiquette made up by us humans over a long period of association. Same reason Horse isnt eaten by many nations who relied on it for work in the past. I wonder how long Thais have been eating buffalo ? its rare to see it on a menu here and possibly the same reason.

​If you eat meat its just a personal choice coloured by social upbringing, if your a vegetarian then kudos to you, your not a hypocrite. wai2.gif

Dog meat is good and tasty. Its not like its an endangered species or anything, Just another animal at the end of the day when its all chopped up. (dosnt taste like chicken tho ) not sure about the type in Thailand but usually in Vietnam now they are bred for farming.

And before people get all outraged and claim a dogs smart blah blah blah... a pig is smarter than a dog and i dont see anyone batting an eyelid about that.

Ask a Thai if they would eat rabbit or a baby sheep youll mostly get the same reaction as others would to eating dog. When you think about it, the only reason not to eat dog is purely social conditioning and etiquette made up by us humans over a long period of association. Same reason Horse isnt eaten by many nations who relied on it for work in the past. I wonder how long Thais have been eating buffalo ? its rare to see it on a menu here and possibly the same reason.

​If you eat meat its just a personal choice coloured by social upbringing, if your a vegetarian then kudos to you, your not a hypocrite. wai2.gif

dog_training_classes_puppy_1.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure about the cute puppy's relevance. We all eat cows, chicken and pork, often fabricated in appealing conditions. Yet suddenly dog meat or cat meat is not done, utter hypocritical,

It is a shame people in Sakhon Nakhom and Nakhom Phanom have to go underground to get their dog meat fix, just because some political correct hypocrites have decided so.

At least in Khamouane it isn't driven underground, the Lao apparently are less political correct.

Not sure about the cute puppy's relevance. We all eat cows, chicken and pork, often fabricated in appealing conditions. Yet suddenly dog meat or cat meat is not done, utter hypocritical,

It is a shame people in Sakhon Nakhom and Nakhom Phanom have to go underground to get their dog meat fix, just because some political correct hypocrites have decided so.

At least in Khamouane it isn't driven underground, the Lao apparently are less political correct.

I'm just teasing Oakie.

I have recently converted to Quorn. This is a low fat mycoprotien, no animal.

http://www.quorn.co.uk/about/

It's actually really good, even the burgers are good. Quorn mince makes a lovely spag bol too.

Anyway, I'm going off topic.

I do agree that eating dog is not so much different to eating cow. Trouble is a dog is a man's best friend and we don't eat friends. Tricky one.

Hes real cute but i couldnt eat a whole one wink.png

LOL dont get me wrong I love dogs and owned a couple, its only when id been unbeknown to me at the time taken to a dog restaurant, everything on the menu was dog. it all tasted just great..........and then only days later was told it was exclusively dog...... it was a bit late by then to pretend outrage.

Hes real cute but i couldnt eat a whole one wink.png

LOL dont get me wrong I love dogs and owned a couple, its only when id been unbeknown to me at the time taken to a dog restaurant, everything on the menu was dog. it all tasted just great..........and then only days later was told it was exclusively dog...... it was a bit late by then to pretend outrage.

tongue.png

If there was a natural disaster, these people would be the first to demand rescue dogs search for them.

I would say tough shit, you eat them, and have no respect for them, so you can't use them for anything else.

You do realize their are groups out there such as PETA who say it is wrong to have an animal as a pet or make them work for us ... they consider it slavery. They also don't believe in using animals in testing regardless if it saves peoples lives.

I hear where you are coming from but at the same time, the point is that this is all personal beliefs and we shouldn't inflict ours on others or judge them.

Now if somebody tried to eat your or somebody else's slave property pet, then I can see it being an issue.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"hub of dog meat" we always knew there had to be one somewhere. - now we know where it is. alt=facepalm.gif>

Did you ever have a doubt where it was?

You do realize their are groups out there such as PETA who say it is wrong to have an animal as a pet or make them work for us ... they consider it slavery. They also don't believe in using animals in testing regardless if it saves peoples lives.

I hear where you are coming from but at the same time, the point is that this is all personal beliefs and we shouldn't inflict ours on others or judge them.

Now if somebody tried to eat your or somebody else's slave property pet, then I can see it being an issue.

It is slavery having dogs. Tomorrow I have to wash an entire Golden Retriever using stuff called Fox Poo Shampoo. I'm sure you can guess why.

Yes, it is slavery.

• Like 1

...it's all about 'the bottom line' I guess.....

...against your faith.....???

...immoral....???

....illegal....???

...rationalize it all away.......for 'the bottom line'....

(...oh yeah...and if you get caught....blame it on someone else....)

My Aunt has an annoying Pomeranian yapper.

I had the BBQ grill going at her house one day & suggested sticking a skewer up the mutt's butt & tossing it on the grill.

She didn't like that.

I really wish Thai's WOULD eat dogs. Far too many strays in Thailand.

whats the problem, the French eat horses, too many bloody stray dogs around, Bangkok is over run with them mangy creatures, it is a bloody disgrace, you can come out of my condo, next morning and see where some poor sod has trod in the dog shit on the streets in the darkness. i wont start on the cats, he he, and yes cats have been found in chinese take-away freezers in the uk,

• Like 1

I believe the problem here is the dog meat came from an illegal slaughterhouse, so is therefore illegal. Selling illegal meat is....well.....illegal. As far as I know the authorities are not forbidding people to eat dog meat. More from this bust showing the slaughterhouse (Warning.......graphic pictures) https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.786759474699123.1073742924.108625789179165&type=3

Edited by juggernaut

Japanese want to eat whales. Thai want to eat digs.

We have civil obedience and that I why we have defined do's and don'ts. Animals eaten in Africa have caused EBOLA and other serious concerns.

We have domesticated dogs who we as humans are close to.

Eating humans was decried and officially finalized many years ago.

As a supposed civil society we don't. Eat certain animals because we do not breed them for food.

It is far more complicated than just stating intelligence or being cute.

Eating dogs is not right in many contexts of which this is not the forum to announce the reasons why or why not.

Many of the posters here don't even have the intelligence for supportive discussion