Thais view pollution as greatest threat to world

webfact

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This must be a coincidence.I have a large paddy field behind my house and there were people out there this morning spraying some sort of chemical.My wife said to close all the doors and windows I asked why.Her answer was they were spraying to kill the birds,stop them eating the rice.I have lived here 12 years and never knew this,apparently it is very common.She told me she has been sick before from this spraying.I wasn't surprised about just finding out as I am used to the lack of information forthcoming from almost every Thai.I would like to know what they are spraying,if it kills the birds it must be harmful to humans.

To me it seems to counteract their concern about pollution.

....and in the area surrounding my village, too.

Then the village dogs eat the dead birds, and for a while, there is a total lack of village dogs.

Then the bird (pigeon) population recovers, as does that of the village mongrels. The rice farmers plant their new crop, and the cycle repeats.

I don't know how much of this filters down to the aquafers which supply the village. Keep meaning to have water samples analysed.

The survey indicates that concerns reflect the area in the world they come from - geographical clustering.

So the question to ask is why are the biggest polluters and most polluted places in Asia, when Asians are the most concerned about pollution? And why is the most religous hatred and war in the middle east, when middle eastern people are the most worried about that? And so on. Or to look at it another way, if I was most concerned about my dirty home, the very first thing I'd do, the number one thing is to clean it. But why are these countries the world's worst at what they most complain about, like they have no intention to solve their problems?

The only reasonable conclusion is that Asia is the world's garbage dump. The middle east is home for religous fanatics and psychotics, Africa is the Aids hospice of the world and Europe is the dumping ground for the world's poor. Like it was all planned that way.

good summary.

and as someone posted before:see map

post-160354-0-20477500-1414142482_thumb.

• Like 1

This must be a coincidence.I have a large paddy field behind my house and there were people out there this morning spraying some sort of chemical.My wife said to close all the doors and windows I asked why.Her answer was they were spraying to kill the birds,stop them eating the rice.I have lived here 12 years and never knew this,apparently it is very common.She told me she has been sick before from this spraying.I wasn't surprised about just finding out as I am used to the lack of information forthcoming from almost every Thai.I would like to know what they are spraying,if it kills the birds it must be harmful to humans.

I hope this rice is not going to be marketed as "ORGANIC RICE".

It would be interesting to know what was used, what it's withholding period is, what is the intended market.

In the almost 15 years I have lived here, I have never ever seen machines planting or harvesting rice. NEVER.

Big industrial farms, yes, but not the mom, pop and family farms.

In the north it's pretty much all harvested by combine now. A lot is still planted by hand though.

Nth of where---Watford. Issan % in by hand, the fortunate farmer who benefitted from the rice scam do the work with machines.

So why do they continue to throw things out of their car windows, dump crap in the klongs, pour cooking oil into the drains.....etc

exactly, they teach their kids from as soon as they can walk to throw their sheet down in the street. i always assumed it was because they are obvivious to polution and garbage so quite shocked by this poll.

36% is the category that got the greatest number of votes. It did not say majority. Runners up may include: 25% think rest of world doesn't appreciate "Thainess" enough, 10% think Koh Tao investigation meddling by foreigners biggest problem, 20% think not enough meddling by foreigners in Koh Tao, plus some other items....

In the almost 15 years I have lived here, I have never ever seen machines planting or harvesting rice. NEVER.

Big industrial farms, yes, but not the mom, pop and family farms.

In the north it's pretty much all harvested by combine now. A lot is still planted by hand though.

has this got something to do with Pollution ??

Hahahaha Thai's are most concerned over the growing pollution. I just can't stop laughing. Where did they come up with this. I think it's a typo. What they meant to say is that flies are most concerned over growing pollution, seeing as flies are cleaner than Thais.

Edited by ldiablo

The survey indicates that concerns reflect the area in the world they come from - geographical clustering.

So the question to ask is why are the biggest polluters and most polluted places in Asia, when Asians are the most concerned about pollution? And why is the most religous hatred and war in the middle east, when middle eastern people are the most worried about that? And so on. Or to look at it another way, if I was most concerned about my dirty home, the very first thing I'd do, the number one thing is to clean it. But why are these countries the world's worst at what they most complain about, like they have no intention to solve their problems?

The only reasonable conclusion is that Asia is the world's garbage dump. The middle east is home for religous fanatics and psychotics, Africa is the Aids hospice of the world and Europe is the dumping ground for the world's poor. Like it was all planned that way.

good summary.

and as someone posted before:see map

555 makes sense.

So why do they continue to throw things out of their car windows, dump crap in the klongs, pour cooking oil into the drains.....etc

As the article states, only 36% of respondents considered pollution to be the greatest threat. Those Thais who continue to throw things out of their car window would be among the other 64%. Got it? wink.png

64% of Thais don't have a car

How is that relevant? The people who do own a car and have a habit of throwing stuff out of the car window will be among the 64%. That's what I wrote in my previous post, 'among the other 64%'. Likewise, the people who dump crap in the klongs will also be among the 64%, whether or not they own a car. Got it? wink.png

I hope this rice is not going to be marketed as "ORGANIC RICE".

It would be interesting to know what was used, what it's withholding period is, what is the intended market.

Probably cypermethrin. It doesn't drive birds away.

Its used in just about every domestic bug spray. They are going about banning a whole raft of pesticides in Europe in the next few years. They reckon it will decimate yields and farm productivity.

So of course, they will have to import to make up the difference.

Great.

• Like 1

Crap article. Thailand isn't the most polluted by any means, but it's up there.

Another fake story with a fake data ("the majority of Thais"), created by the military, who still controls all media.

Created by the military ?????? who controls the media ????

I thought the pollution was created by the Thai who actually believe that bottles burn and sardine tins + batteries. Look at the remnants of the fire and you will find these in the ashes.

But to some the army created the pollution in a few months. 555555555555

Couple of posts pulled. You can guess why.

On pollution, I do believe Thailand has some of the strictest emissions regulations in the World regards new vehicles. Have a Google about and do a bit of research on it.

On pollution, I do believe Thailand has some of the strictest emissions regulations in the World regards new vehicles. Have a Google about and do a bit of research on it.

That is on imported vehicles, isn't it ? When I imported my brandnew fuel injected bike, they mounted 3 catalyst in line on it, because otherwise it would be impossible to pass the emission test with the best fuel available in Thailand.

If Thailand was really so pollution conscious, then it wouldn't be such a polluted country.

Edited by TheCruncher

That is on imported vehicles, isn't it ?

If Thailand was really so pollution conscious, then it wouldn't be such a polluted country.

Perhaps, but that's why I wanted you lot to do the research.

Should the headline not read " Thais pose greatest pollution threat to the world "

Just take a look at all the coal burning trucks on the road, the clogged sewers and drains from discarded food waste, and all the trash dumped on roadsides, and in the water courses. giggle.gif

• Like 2

As the article states, only 36% of respondents considered pollution to be the greatest threat. Those Thais who continue to throw things out of their car window would be among the other 64%. Got it? wink.png

64% of Thais don't have a car

How is that relevant? The people who do own a car and have a habit of throwing stuff out of the car window will be among the 64%. That's what I wrote in my previous post, 'among the other 64%'. Likewise, the people who dump crap in the klongs will also be among the 64%, whether or not they own a car. Got it? wink.png

No. Got it?

AMEN.

Here in Isaan ALL paper waste products are thrown on the ground without hesitation or reservation. Some household trash is burned as there is NO trash pick up in our and surrounding villages. Oh and used car oil etc. is discarded onto the land.

Didn't the West address these issues in the 20th century or before?

• Like 1