The Exploited Kids Selling Roses to Tourists On Khaosan Road

Lite Beer

Whens the last time tey have been here.. After the army took over they cleaned out the kids working there.

Does anyone remember the news about this not to long ago?

I go there every week and I know from first hand experiance that they booted most of the mafia selling roses.

I did see one boy selling at 3am but that was it in the last few months.

Yes it was a problem before, but now its not the same.

me and my girlfriend are friends with the owner of a popular bar here and I remember the

owner used to complain about how bad it was with the kids.

Do your research and see for yourself and go look at the many stories in english and thai

about the cleanup of the kids selling roses in this area. Lets just hope it stays this way.

with that said there is still a big problem with this in other areas and it saddens me to know kids

can be exploited in such ways. I hope this problem will be addressed and cleaned up everywhere as they did in khao sahn.

Edited by chrischronic

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday (Friday) I went to a Korean BBQ restaurant on Petchaburi Road near the Asok-Montri Junction. Every 5 minutes there was a child standing at our table selling roses. Some of them even kept staying at our table for minutes and refused to leave. After being disturbed for the 20th time in an hour, we called for the owner that was a good friend of someone in our company. He said there is nothing he could do about them while they are a pain in the ass. They also are known as pickpockets when they act in groups. They are run by the local maffia (police force) and he could not refuse them, send them of his premises or he would have big problems with the police.

And there is the whole problem in a nutshell. The 'Royal' Thai Police ARE the largest criminal organization in Thailand. Until the RTP are reformed, or disbanded, NOTHING will change.

. Well said

It is not thr farangs money that keeps these kids enslaved. It is the local police abd immigration and the people who purchased them from their families (maybe one in the same). The tourists flocking to Khaosan road mostly dont even know those kids are Burmese not most certainly don't know the kids werr bought from families. Although ignorance is not generally an excuse the writer should be pointing their fingers at the police (which is stationed right there at the end of Khaosan road. The Thai immigration for not learning nor caring where these kids are kept.

It is really a shame but the story blaming foriengners is ALL wrong

...blaming foreigners

Sometimes I think that's the only reason why they grant us visas

• Like 1

It is not just Khaosan Road...

This is rife throughout Thailand where there are tourists...

To be honest I have not seen any in KP, or KS. I think the community would put a stop to it immediately. There are other examples of children working here, but it appears to be their parents exploiting them...

I was witness to this in Phnom Penh - sitting at the riverside you see many. As a man I recall feeling there is almost no way to help these kids, as any male who shows interest is immediately suspected of ulterior motives, by all onlookers and even the kids themselves.

I think women need to get more involved in this matter, the fewer men the better - perhaps the kids will be more willing to trust those offering help. To help though, you need to offer some alternate life for them - this is where it all falls to pieces.

There are plenty of children selling flowers or snacks in cities all over Thailand, and some are even Thai.

So just Khao San road?....Pattaya, Khon Kaen, Chiang Mai..Hua Hin..........everywhere......and everyone turns a blind eye......cheap, forced child labour!....all a part of the cause of global condemnation towards Thailand....and the authorities still try to convince the world of their ongoing efforts to stamp it out, but it's simply just talk!

And also USA, UK and other Western countries, where consumers are more than happy to buy goods made with the help of child labor. Politicians and police in those countries also turn a blind eye. There's money involved, so no-one really cares what they buy. Even on the rare occasions that it's publicized, people still buy the products, because the prefer a new phone to helping enslaved children. Child labor needs to be stopped wherever it happens, but don't turn a blin eye to what happens in your home countries.

Spot on.

These hypocrites come from countries whose consumer cultures are dependent upon exploitation of third-world labour.

• Like 1

Any civilized society would impose heavy penalties on the parents who allow minors to work like this but in Thailand effectively no one cares that's why this continues so its not the fault of any German or other tourist that chooses to buy.

Thailand's "inferiority" to "civilized countries" has beed exposed ad nauseam by members of this forum. I understand majority here comes from those countries.

So being a "civilized" representative of a "civilized country" just, please, accept that the rose market is supported by you and the likes of you.

YOU do not buy roses, kids do not get money to give to gang leaders who do not have money to give to the police. In other words for corruption to happen someone needs to pay at the bottom of the pyramid. Farang's contribution to corruption in Thailand may not be the largest one but certainly not insignificant. You can think of other "industries" which involve corruption and are actively suported by farangs.

Seems a lot of bloggers on this topic have forgotten what it was like the first time they washed up in Pattaya or Phuket. Living in Thailand, or any foreign country, you see the seedy side at some point. Tourists come for a few weeks flush with cash and see these pathetic wide-eyed kids wandering from bar to bar. How are they to know they are not taking the money back to their impoverished mummy? TAT do not promote child exploitation and endemic corruption as tourist attractions.

• Like 2

So just Khao San road?....Pattaya, Khon Kaen, Chiang Mai..Hua Hin..........everywhere......and everyone turns a blind eye......cheap, forced child labour!....all a part of the cause of global condemnation towards Thailand....and the authorities still try to convince the world of their ongoing efforts to stamp it out, but it's simply just talk!

If you read the story it says there are around 500 of these kids around Thailand

This story happens to focus on what happens on Khao San road, i'm sure the charity's that are trying to help these kids are aware and are trying to help kids in other city's to

'...500 of these kids around Thailand', what, hello? At least 5,000 maybe 10,000 I'd say, you have them also in Phuket, Krabi, Samui, etc., in every place where stupid tourists come, and this will go on as long as these numbnuts don't stop, in fact, giving money to the criminals behind those kids (and to the brown dressed mafia taking bribes to turn a blind eye on it)!

It is really a shame but the story blaming foriengners is ALL wrong

There are numerous people who need to be involved if this is to be brought to an end but clearly like other for profit crimes, if there is not a customer then there is not a market for the illegal activity.

In other words, the easiest way to get rid of this problem or at least significantly reduce it is to educate people to stop giving them money.

If you read the story it says there are around 500 of these kids around Thailand

This story happens to focus on what happens on Khao San road, i'm sure the charity's that are trying to help these kids are aware and are trying to help kids in other city's to

'...500 of these kids around Thailand', what, hello? At least 5,000 maybe 10,000 I'd say, you have them also in Phuket, Krabi, Samui, etc., in every place where stupid tourists come, and this will go on as long as these numbnuts don't stop, in fact, giving money to the criminals behind those kids (and to the brown dressed mafia taking bribes to turn a blind eye on it)!

So tourists are stupid for not knowing the ins and outs of a place they don't live, but have simply come to visit for the scenery, food and culture?

Get real!

• Like 1

All things considered we can't rely on the police to police. So if nobody buys a rose then there is no market. THE END

That is naivety. The kids "employers" will find something else for them to do to make money and the Police will still not do anything.

As for the U.N. they should get off their fat asses in their ivory towers and pay a visit to see what is happening instead of pontificating from afar!

• Like 1

I think it´s very strange that the goverment allow this kind of slave labour to continue year after year.

It would be so easy to put some police / social workers on the places where these kids have to work, and then take away the kids in question from the streets, and help them to a proper home andf schooling.

Later in life they probably end up in the sex indistry, when they become to old to be used as lovely little flower sellers.

I do not know if it is possible to return them to their families, who probably going to sell them again to other mafia guys.

Edited by borrfors
  • Like 1

It would do this lady's cause more good if she didn't slag off the foreign tourists there. As with the elephants previously in tourist areas, any blame should be attributed squarely on the local middlemen... and not to mention that KSR is now the happy haunt of local Thai teens and their families. She needs to spend more time here.

Surely you are not suggesting a Thai would be capable of trafficking children for financial gain... no surely not as with the Koh Tao murders it was made clear that no Thai could be capable of such a heinous crime and as we all know Thailand's human rights in impeccable so it must be the foreigner fault. wai2.gif

• Like 1

Part of the problem is the foolish farang who believe they are helping these children and their families by buying flowers. They are only keeping the children on these streets and in some cases the money could be going to a pimp who simply sits at home, then takes his cut when the child returns and the rest may go to the mother.

The problem could be eradicated by the police situated on KSR, but as we all know they don't care enough to make the effort to ensure kids are not operating on this street and other localities.

All things considered we can't rely on the police to police. So if nobody buys a rose then there is no market. THE END

Come on now you blame the farangs but it should be the police to be blamed. Farangs on Khaosan come and go,

Why Thailand can't change the police? I know its to much money involved but at times the police is just 20 meters away.

I think it´s very strange that the goverment allow this kind of slave labour to continue year after year.

It would be so easy to put some police / social workers on the places where these kids have to work, and then take away the kids in question from the streets, and help them to a proper home andf schooling.

Later in life they probably end up in the sex indistry, when they become to old to be used as lovely little flower sellers.

I do not know if it is possible to return them to their families, who probably going to sell them again to other mafia guys.

It's not easy as they are foreigners and Thai's don't give a damn as long it doesn't get to the news.

If they are Thai they would have put an end to it but they are not Thai so the show must go on.

Thai police cannot be the answer to all of Thailand's challenges. The Thai policemen were brought-up in this environment and for them it's not something that readily stands-out to them where they think it's a form of human trafficking.

It doesn't matter if the money comes from the foreigner or local people. The point is, these are underage workers that are being exploited. When you purchase flowers from them, it's not a 'win win' as some suggest. It does more harm then good.

Whenever I'm approached by these children I make a point to speak with them and try to understand their world. Maybe another day on this topic where I can share but for now all I will say is, it doesn't help them when you give them money for the flowers.

My personal thoughts are that as a foreigner I may not be able to change Thailand in it's many corrupt ways, but by not buying the flowers from theses little children make me feel that in some small way I can do my part.

First this writer informs us that these kids are not Thai. How she concludes that is never studied or validated. Secondly, she blames the child/roses and games business on foreigners for encouraging it. The writer clearly doesn't know how things work and sustain in Thailand.

Ms. writer, the child racket is established, set up and managed by Mr. Thai Big Men who control that area and the cops at their service. Everyone know that except you. Those kids are brought in to the night life by Thais who traffic them and traffic the roses that they sell. When they are "weaving" through the drunk and drugged out dancers, it is prostitutes performing on drugs all provided by the Thai Mr. Big networks.

Your article is worthless and content free. Get out and do some real investigative journalism. You'll be amazed at what you discover and even more amazed at how the Thais won't be interested in publishing anything with facts in it.

• Like 1

And also USA, UK and other Western countries, where consumers are more than happy to buy goods made with the help of child labor. Politicians and police in those countries also turn a blind eye. There's money involved, so no-one really cares what they buy. Even on the rare occasions that it's publicized, people still buy the products, because the prefer a new phone to helping enslaved children. Child labor needs to be stopped wherever it happens, but don't turn a blin eye to what happens in your home countries.

We're not talking here about other countries......this is about Thailand......and yes...the unfortunate reality is that it does happen everywhere..............

Spot on.

These hypocrites come from countries whose consumer cultures are dependent upon exploitation of third-world labour.

If the third world entrepreneur hires child labor, how exactly is it that the West is exploiting the children?

What I buy is under the assumptiont the manufacturers operate according to the laws. How the F would any consumer know that the product was made illegally? And why is it that the employer isn't guilty but the consumer is?

VillageIdiot, I think it's time you started calling yourself something different.

Edited by MJP
Baiting bit removed.
  • Like 2

Khaosan road is the last end least example of exploitation and bad morals.

This joyful area of youngsters from all over the world, is clean from prostitution and abuse.

You can find real exploitation in soi Nana and soi Cowboy where little children accompany their working mothers in the street food stools and around the Go-Go bars.

Khaosan road has its dedicated police station and patrols of city police. This should be their duty to chase away the little children in the late hours of the night.

Edited by fakser
  • Like 1

i'm sure the charity's that are trying to help these kids are aware and are trying to help kids in other city's to

I don't believe that for a second. There is a young girl been doing contortions on Pattaya's Walking Street for years, and no one ever stops it. Part of the reason I have no respect fot the police volunteers there, that they allow this blatent child abuse every night.

Darren....as many of us residents here in Thailand know all too well...........there are literally thousands of these kids, all over Thailand, being exploited in this manner.......500 may be correct for KSR.......

• Like 1

Spot on.

If the third world entrepreneur hires child labor, how exactly is it that the West is exploiting the children?

What I buy is under the assumptiont the manufacturers operate according to the laws. How the F would any consumer know that the product was made illegally? And why is it that the employer isn't guilty but the consumer is?

VillageIdiot, I think it's time you started calling yourself something different.

Everyone that ever reads a newspaper knows that western companies exploit lax labour laws in countries like Bangladesh and Indonesia. Buying goods made in those countries contributes to the problem.

Any civilized society would impose heavy penalties on the parents who allow minors to work like this but in Thailand effectively no one cares that's why this continues so its not the fault of any German or other tourist that chooses to buy.

Oh.....so you actually believe that the parents of these kids allow and accept that their kids are doing this work??

Do you realise that most of their parents are likely 1000kms+ away from BKK.........!!

Do you realise that many of these street kids have been purchased from their parents?

Wake up......ask around....do some research......

This reminds me of a documentary called "Bangkok Girl". Foreigner comes to Thailand then sees the ugly under belly, wonders around the usual areas then comes to such conclusions as if they have the time mag story of the year.

Story's been done, sad none the less but this is down in the que.

Don't be so hard on the foreigners Sally, you're a by-product of this too.