Latest info about the opening of the new Immigration Office in Samui?

The traffic light at Soi 4 is not stupid, it's very good (when working) - and you riders on the Ringroad has almost 2 minutes pass time, whilst Soi 4 traffic has 10-15 seconds only after waiting looong time..

They are stupid, green light for turning right same time as opposite traffic have green light going straight. :-(

Yes, that is what I meant, the red and green arrow going up Soi 4 from the sea side part, toward the Temple. ... on at the same time and if coming from Nathon the green arrow, pointing to turn right at the same time the arrow going straight is on! blink.png

We living in the area are used to it, but it could easily baffle those who are not aware!

Very often I just going around the road by the Chinese Temple... and turn on to the ring road there.wink.png

Seems to me I posted a picture of that somewhere here not so long ago! whistling.gif

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The traffic light at Soi 4 is not stupid, it's very good (when working) - and you riders on the Ringroad has almost 2 minutes pass time, whilst Soi 4 traffic has 10-15 seconds only after waiting looong time..

They are stupid, green light for turning right same time as opposite traffic have green light going straight. :-(

Agree, the arrows (in both directions at the same time) should not be there - but we farangs may not understand "the Thai way of thinking": just flash headlights and turn...thumbsup.gif

Yes, that is what I meant, the red and green arrow going up Soi 4 from the sea side part, toward the Temple. ... on at the same time and if coming from Nathon the green arrow, pointing to turn right at the same time the arrow going straight is on! blink.png

We living in the area are used to it, but it could easily baffle those who are not aware!

Very often I just going around the road by the Chinese Temple... and turn on to the ring road there.wink.png

Seems to me I posted a picture of that somewhere here not so long ago! whistling.gif

The problem is merely at night, as many people driving the Ringroad don't care (or see) the red traffic light, so if you come from Soi 4 and it's green for you, be aware, it can be fatal to continue...facepalm.gif

In the beginning - a number of years back, when the established the traffic light - it changed to flashing yellow about 8pm or 9pm until around 6am; that was perfect, but never re-established after the traffic light was repaired after a couple of broken years. Believe some kind of timer did it, but perhaps it's broken or the battery has gone flat (numerous power cuts is not in favor of running a timer without a battery back up), now it only flashes when manually set for Walking Street Market.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Back in the day you would go there only to see three immigration guys sitting at wooden desks. First fella would be very abrupt, second fella would take your money and third fella would wish you good stay.

Or you just sent your passport for a holiday in Malaysia.

• 2 months later...

I stopped in at the still, building site of Maenam office of Samui Immigration, this afternoon...

Tried to catch the "big chief", to ask, but he was tied up with a meeting.

But my visual conclusion was that... still a while before we see it's doors open...

I am no longer guessing! wink.png

Popped over to Tao for a few day for reasons I will not get into. Bike need a few bits doing to it so got a taxi up to the port via the soi 1 route. Lovely views (first time) but no way will my saleng make it up a couple of those hills.

Popped over to Tao for a few day for reasons I will not get into. Bike need a few bits doing to it so got a taxi up to the port via the soi 1 route. Lovely views (first time) but no way will my saleng make it up a couple of those hills.

Just find someone to help pull you up them hills.... it will be very easy going down! cheesy.giftongue.png

So you joined the thousands that go to Koa Toa, still ? ... nothing wrong with that...

Just find someone to help pull you up them hills.... it will be very easy going down! cheesy.giftongue.png

So you joined the thousands that go to Koa Toa, still ? ... nothing wrong with that...

Very funny Jim.

Came back down via soi 1 and never saw the new office so now know I cannot use a certain road to get to an uncertain place.

Problem with a saleng (one of many TBH) is that there is no brake on the outside wheel so gravity and inertia would be constantly pushing me to toward the right hand side. I can free roll down the hill no problem but if I have to apply the brakes I'm pretty much screwed. The same can be said of going uphill though with slightly different parameters. I shall be taken another route to immigration when (if) it opens.

Went to Tao to see a friend who was in need of help. Not been there for 14 years and boy has it changed. Buildings everywhere, much hotter than Samui and you would think you are in Burma.

Very funny Jim.

Came back down via soi 1 and never saw the new office so now know I cannot use a certain road to get to an uncertain place.

Problem with a saleng (one of many TBH) is that there is no brake on the outside wheel so gravity and inertia would be constantly pushing me to toward the right hand side. I can free roll down the hill no problem but if I have to apply the brakes I'm pretty much screwed. The same can be said of going uphill though with slightly different parameters. I shall be taken another route to immigration when (if) it opens.

Went to Tao to see a friend who was in need of help. Not been there for 14 years and boy has it changed. Buildings everywhere, much hotter than Samui and you would think you are in Burma.

It's up a bit of a driveway, so not easy to spot from the road, it would have been on your left... watch out when driving through Chawang area then! tongue.pngfacepalm.gif

I am sure it will be well sign posted if / when ready! wink.png

• 3 weeks later...

Some legal stuff in the courts is going on, is the latest I have heard. It could be years.

Not quite true, from my sources! very very close to things!...wink.png

I stopped by today and construction still going on ... even some primer paint of some of the walls of the shop houses....

I'll just say still "no hab" enough money for completion...whistling.gif

untitled-3.jpg

I could never understand why an apparently Govt building was having to be funded privately!

Better not understand. Look at all the shops.tongue.png

So wives can shop until they drop while the men do the paperwork.... ... er.... as long as it's 20 mins or less! laugh.png

Won't say more on the funding... you'll need to bring back some Bournville Evadgib.... I might tell you~ tongue.pngwink.png

Problem with a saleng (one of many TBH) is that there is no brake on the outside wheel so gravity and inertia would be constantly pushing me to toward the right hand side. I can free roll down the hill no problem but if I have to apply the brakes I'm pretty much screwed. The same can be said of going uphill though with slightly different parameters.

Was helping a friend move the other day because my saleng can carry lots of stuff. Reached a point where I said no <expression> way am I going down that hill. Some Thai chick took over and nailed it on the way down and on the way up later also. I've done it myself a couple of times since so I'd say Soi 1 is a goer but I need new tyres.

It's a seven year old Suzuki Swift and you don't get many autos hooked up to a saleng. It's onlt got just over ten thousand on the clock and was owned from new by a very dear friend of mine. She preferred her car. As I mentioned earlier, going down a steep hill may be a bit precarious but figured there was no way I could make it out of the sink. That bike has a bit of grunt still in it for a seven year old and for the last 2 1/2 years it has been dragging a saleng along too. It's an easy though rather dull trip over to Nathon immigration from Lamai but when it moves it will be a bitch unless I can use Soi 1.

I'm done this year with Samui immigration until early November. Maybe they will have changed location.

Picture of a friend dancing on my saleng during Songkran.

post-145163-0-13439800-1462492294_thumb.

• 3 months later...

So Immigration will now be as far from the Govt Hospital as its possible to be without getting your feet wet? How much thought went into those medical checks?

If Illthoughtout planning was an Olympic event this lot would have more Gold than Michael Phelps:(

Edited by evadgib

13 hours ago, evadgib said:

So Immigration will now be as far from the Govt Hospital as its possible to be without getting your feet wet? 

And away from the Amphur.

And most of the banks.

And the early morning ferries from Koh Phangan/Koh Tao.

And the evening ferries to Koh Phangan/Koh Tao.

Basically if they send you running for documents it is going to take 3 times longer than it use to.

But we have known that for the last 2 years when they have been telling us the move will happen any month now.

Let's hope the fee sign moves too or another appears on day one @ the new place otherwise it'll be 'business as usual' before the paint on the front door has dried.

Users that week please confirm/post a snapshot either way.

Edited by evadgib