A 65000 baht question ...

If using the income only method for an O-A visa, or retirement extension, the rule says "at least 65000 baht/month".

In my case that would be a mix of pension and investment income. The pension income would be fixed, around 50,000 baht/month, but the investment income varies from month to month and some months the total would be under 65000, some months it would be around 150,000 baht but averaging about 90,000/month. Do immigration average out a yearly income, or are they ever pedantic and insist on 65,000 baht every month ?

I've made a point of transferring at least 65,000 baht into my passbook every month just in case, but I'm curious .

And following on from this, if I get a statutory declaration from the Australian embassy about my income should I state a monthly income of "at least 65000 baht" or a yearly figure ? I believe the embassy does n't check, but if immigration want to they are welcome to add up all my dividend and interest income statements, or trawl through my bank statements !

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Chiang Mai, I give copies of my annual investment income (have no pension payments yet) for the year and it has never been a problem...

I think as long as the total meets the sum of monthly X 12 but I have never seen them get the calculator out and do the math...

They seem to rely more on my US embassy's document saying I make this amount of money monthly thus meeting their min requirement...

Don't worry about it and don't even mention some months more and some months less...it would give them an excuse to deny you.

CB

Edited by cardinalblue

The US Income Affidavit specifically calls out USD/month. I fill in the amount in USD and immigration dioes the conversion to baht on the day of the conversion. Immigration is interested in the monthly income. So start with the 50k, average your invesment income for the last 12 months and add that to it. Immigration is only interested in it being over 65k/month.

If, like the UK Embassy, you have to show proof of income to get the letter then you will have to supply whatever documents they require to support the figure that you use. The US Embassy requires nothing (and we get new passports in less than 10 dayssorry.gif )!

• Like 1

rolleyes.gif I've done 3 retirement extensions before and there is such a thing as the COMBO (combination) method you can use.

For example the last time I had a pension income (Social Security) of 650K Baht equivalent. (annually)

I reported that on my U.S. embassy income statement.

I also had about 350K in a Thai bank account..

And yes, they good out the calculator to verify the annual amount as 900K Baht.

Over the 800K required, so I qualified.

This combo method can only be applied to retirement extensions

Marriage extensions can only have the 400K bank account or the 40 K monthly method.

Combo is not allowed for marriage extensions.

Don't ask me why, I don't make the rules.

rolleyes.gif

I have to get a letter each year from the British Embassy in Bangkok I show them both pension and investment they then show it on a headed letter think it would be better to show the bog standard 65,000 baht per month if your embassy will do that I would suggest you show them your investments for the last year I cluding any other income and request they divide by 12 I am surprised that your investment fluctuates so much from month to month ie from 120,000 one month to less than 65,000 another month !!

I take my yearly income and divide by 12. That is all that is required for US Embassy. Thai immigration will do the USD to Baht conversion. Do not even mention to Thai immigration your income fluctuates. They will get confused and you may find yourself without an extension. Remember the KISS principal. Just the notorized document from the Embassy stating how much you tell them you make a month, average is fine, is all that is needed. Also much simpler than the bank statement method. If you don't live in or near Bangkok watch for the Embassy Outreach, usually twice a year in your area. You can find dates on the Embassy website. Do your notorized statement when they come to your area. I believe the statement is now good for 6 months but don't quote me on that.

I just received my first retirement extension and on the income verification letter from US Embassy I filled in my income as per month as that is what the form letter space was for. When I checked in the lady handing out numbered line tickets took out her calculator and calculated the amount to Baht and said it was not enough. I looked puzzled then realized she thought it was a yearly amount not a monthly amount. I pointed out it was a per month sum. She smiled and handed me my ticket to get my extension. Same thing with the immigration person. But when I explained it was monthly not yearly approved and on my way.

My guess and only a guess would be you could put down last year's yearly income and divide by 12. If the amount meets the requirements then should have no problem? Just a guess and since it seems everyone has different experiences at immigration just try, be sure to wear a Tie and smile a lot.

Gee, I am glad you told me about the tie. I am on my eighth retirement extension and have never worn long pants to immigration, let alone a tie.

I have to get a letter each year from the British Embassy in Bangkok I show them both pension and investment they then show it on a headed letter think it would be better to show the bog standard 65,000 baht per month if your embassy will do that I would suggest you show them your investments for the last year I cluding any other income and request they divide by 12 I am surprised that your investment fluctuates so much from month to month ie from 120,000 one month to less than 65,000 another month !!

The Aus. embassy just certify whatever you want to write on the statutory declaration, they don't bother checking..... they just stamp it, sign it, "590 baht please" !

as for my investment income, nearly all of it is dividend income from a number of companies, most Australian companies tend to pay their dividends around the same 2 times of the year, that is july to October and again from Feb. to May to match the general financial year. So October I get around 150,000 baht dividend income, but no dividends in November. sad.png

I just have to resist the temptation to splurge this month .....

Hi, colleagues, I will be doing my next extension (retirement) in a few weeks in Jomtien and will again use the combo income method. My social security income is a bit shy of the required amount so I have to top it up with money in my local bank account (around US$2000). This is not a problem but I wanted to find out the latest regarding the "seasoning" (is that the correct word?) of the funds I am using for the top-up. In the past the top-up money could be deposited anytime into your account (even the day of going to immigration). Is this still true? Thanks so much for any updates/recent experience that you might have.

Best wishes.

Hi, colleagues, I will be doing my next extension (retirement) in a few weeks in Jomtien and will again use the combo income method. My social security income is a bit shy of the required amount so I have to top it up with money in my local bank account (around US$2000). This is not a problem but I wanted to find out the latest regarding the "seasoning" (is that the correct word?) of the funds I am using for the top-up. In the past the top-up money could be deposited anytime into your account (even the day of going to immigration). Is this still true? Thanks so much for any updates/recent experience that you might have.

Best wishes.

At Jomtien the seasoning is still not required.

It is only being asked for at a few offices.

• Like 1

You lucky b*ggers from Oz and the US. Not only do the Brits want to see documents attesting to income before they'll issue the necessary letter, they then gouge us an extortionate amount.

And what our imperial forebears would say about being reduced from the swankiest embassy in town to a cubicle in the risibly named Trendy building, I shudder to think.

Americans and Australians should enjoy the ability to 'swear' whatever they wish to in order to get an extension. Chances are the vast majority will be enjoying the prosperity of their endeavours and country's economy and are telling it as it is, but those who don't actually meet the Immigration requirement may soon have a problem. As TIT 'soon' may be tomorrow or never but rumour has it that false declarations are next on the list to be investigated. No links or official statements available - just 'informed' hearsay.

I'm always nervous about posting about these matters as I'm no expert. I'm doing the O-A ......previously I was going to get a non imm O here in bkk. I was at AU embassy here in bkk. I asked them about the income stat DEC. They didn't want to see any evidence. As she said..." Its a stat dec we accept it" ....however I did plan to take my evidence to bkk io in case they wanted to see my rental incomes pension etc etc.

The OP confuses me , you say your doing an O- A which will be in AU. SPECIFICALLY Canberra or Sydney. Can be done by post. However you won't be going to au embassy to do a stat DEC for application. You will be following guidelines as per web site. This will involve taking all the originals to JP or as eleswise specified having all the copies certified etc. Its all in the application.

Not to mention police record check and medical.

Not required here for non imm O

I am from the UK and 2 months ago did my 12 month 'extension of stay' ( which some people always call a Retirement Visa, but it isnt ) from my O - A ( Long stay Visa ) that I used for last year. It was simple and easy.

First I applied by post to the British Embassy in Bangkok for an income verification letter. All I supplied was copy bank statements from my UK bank that I printed off on the computer. I am 54 and as of yet havent drawn my pension ( can do this when 55 ). I have a personal account in the UK in my name and a business account ( a limited company ) in the company name. The company owns a number of properties in the UK and the monthly rentals get paid in to the account by Direct Debit. I highlighted these monthly incoming amounts and stated they were my monthly pension. The total exceeded the 65,000 baht per month required for Pension.

The thing to note ( in my opinion ), 1) they accepted funds in a UK account as proof of income 2) they accepted a limited company account that doesnt even mention my name? 3) they accepted money going into my account that technically is not a pension. I personally believe they just want to see evidence that you have the equivalent of 800,000 baht either in Thailand or in your home country at the time you make your application for visa extension.

From sending the application letter to the Embassy ( by EMS mail ) to receiving the Income verification letter back to me was 5 working days. Cost from memory was 2640 baht ( 2500 embassy fee and 140 charge for bank draft and mail fee ).

I then took this letter to Immigration at Jomtien along with the completed TM8 form and various photocopies required and the 1900 baht fee. Done and done in 35 minutes, no questions asked, and told to come back the next day for my passport.

Went back the next day, picked up the passport with Extension of Stay stamp in, immediately then applied for a multi entry permit ( TM7 form i think plus fee 3500 ish, cant remenber exactly ) and 15 minutes later I got passport back and everything done.

Hope my experience helps someone else who wants to do their own visa extension rather than pay some shop 20,000 baht to do it for you. At first I thought it was very difficult and spent a good few hours on this site trawling through the various posts and compiling what to do. In the end it was very very easy, and my great fear of never having enough funds in a Thai bank account or not having a pension yet where found to be unfounded.

• Like 2

My question is a little different. I prove income with a Stat Dec from the Aussie Embassy.

(#4 is a stat dec rather than a pension saying I bring in 70,000Bht per month.

One time however they wanted my SCB Bank statements I guess to see if I had in fact bought in

the funds I said I would. They said just jump in a TukTuk and go to the bank and get them.

At the bank they inform me you can only get statements at your home branch which

for me is Surin Beach!

My question is should I take bank statements this time?

t

1. APPLICATION FORM (TM7)
2. ONE 4X6 CM PHOTGRAPH
3. PASSPORT AND A COPY OF PASSPORT (MUST HAVE OBTAINED A NON IMMIGRANT VISA PRIOR TO THE SUBMISSION OF THE APPLICATION)
4. LETTER FROM EMBASSY WHICH SHOWS SOCIAL SECURITY PENSION WITH THE AMOUNT OF PENSION NOT LESS THAN 65,000 BAHT PER MONTH AND TRANSFER SLIP (IF APPLICABLE)
5. LETTER FROM BANK IN THAILAND WITH ACCOUNT BALANCE NOT LESS THAN 800.000 BAHT AND A PHOTOCOPY OF BANK BOOK ILLUSTRATING ALL TRANSACTIONS IN THE PAST THREE MONTHS.
6. CONBINE NO. 3 AND NO. 4 NOT LESS THAN 65.000 BAHT PER MONTH OR 800.000 BAHT PER YEAR.
7. APPLICATION FEE OF 1.900 BAHT.

Since I will be retiring next year and applying for retirement visa, do I first travel to Thailand on a tourist visa. Good for 90 days? Then go to US consulate in Chiang Mai and get the affidavit? Then I take that to Thai immigration. At the border?

And one other question regarding income. If I'm receiving, say 1500 a month in rental income, I should state that amount? Not to worry about what is net of taxes and mortgage payment?

Best to all,

The OP is from AU and the application will be to Thai consulate in Canberra or Sydney.

Also he is applying for an O-A visa. Not an extension to visa!

He is applying for extension of stay not a OA vias. He just used the OA as a phrase that some people incorrectly call the extension.

Since I will be retiring next year and applying for retirement visa, do I first travel to Thailand on a tourist visa. Good for 90 days? Then go to US consulate in Chiang Mai and get the affidavit? Then I take that to Thai immigration. At the border?

And one other question regarding income. If I'm receiving, say 1500 a month in rental income, I should state that amount? Not to worry about what is net of taxes and mortgage payment?

Best to all,

After you get income affidavit from the consulate you would go to your local immigration office (not the border) to apply for a change of visa status to get a non immigrant visa entry.

It is gross income you use on the affidavit.

• Like 1

Hi mate. Only a very newbie (on your site) but believe I can make a useful contribution to assist. Please note it is based on my experience as an Aussie so it ought to be the same for you. Please bear in mind that (immigration) locations may vary according to their knowledge/application of the 'rules'. So, a Stat Dec from an Oz Embassy is simply that. The first time I provided back-up evidence the individual (Oz) I dealt with dismissed me summarily: "You're signing the declaration". So, the form is at the Embassy, simply state the annual amount of income you expect to receive. One would expect that to exceed 65,000/month otherwise why attend. Cost at Embassy is indexed, maybe 500 odd Baht to witness your signature. Technically this should then be stamped by Thai Foreign Affairs (verification of legitimacy) but I have never bothered and for 3 years always accepted at Nong Khai Immigration. Hope this helps cobber. (I'm due to do my annual bizo in December so it will be interesting to see if the above advice

is intact)

Yearly income is ok.
When this is 780,000 (=12x65,000) or more, you don't have to bother that your income fluctuates every month.
I always show a document that states that my income = around 980,000 baht (24,000 euro) a year and they are happy with that.

The OP is from AU and the application will be to Thai consulate in Canberra or Sydney.

Also he is applying for an O-A visa. Not an extension to visa!

Sorry ...I'm outta here. Just read both OP posts. Still can't work out if he applying for a visa or extension. Because these are completely different.

sure they are different, but the 65,000 baht is required in both cases if you are using the income method.

What I actually said was : If using the income only method for an O-A visa, or retirement extension, the rule says "at least 65000 baht/month".

What I went on to ask was, do immigration ever get pedantic and insist on that much every month, or just average it out. The consensus is that they just accept an average over the year.

The Aus. embassy just certify whatever you want to write on the statutory declaration, they don't bother checking..... they just stamp it, sign it, "590 baht please" !

as for my investment income, nearly all of it is dividend income from a number of companies, most Australian companies tend to pay their dividends around the same 2 times of the year, that is july to October and again from Feb. to May to match the general financial year. So October I get around 150,000 baht dividend income, but no dividends in November. sad.png

I just have to resist the temptation to splurge this month .....

Do not complicate this what ever your income was last year divide by 12 for monthly. Do not try to explain anything to immigration but do have the evidence of the amount youput down do not volunteer any info but if asked have it with you.

The US Income Affidavit specifically calls out USD/month. I fill in the amount in USD and immigration dioes the conversion to baht on the day of the conversion. Immigration is interested in the monthly income. So start with the 50k, average your invesment income for the last 12 months and add that to it. Immigration is only interested in it being over 65k/month.

If, like the UK Embassy, you have to show proof of income to get the letter then you will have to supply whatever documents they require to support the figure that you use. The US Embassy requires nothing (and we get new passports in less than 10 dayssorry.gif )!

I showed the UK Embassy my last 3 months bank statements and they looked at the income on the top one (pension and other income) added it together and multiplied by 12. They really aren't bothered about accuracy as none of this affects them - they just want your money.