In the context of Thailand, what is a digital nomad?

phpsql

In my case, I already have a retirement visa due to my property and my pensions.

Maybe I'm a workaholic, but I don't feel old enough to sit around at a stone table all day long and wait for my lady to come back from work.

Do I understand correctly that a Digital Bomad is some one who does not need a working permit or a business visa ?

I believe there is a difference between a Digital Nomad and a Digital Pikey.

There are a few that are getting confused, and some that are engaged in Digital Pikery.

As stated earlier in the post, I work remotely on a lap top and travel extensively and have a WP therefore I would feel comfortable calling myself a digital nomad

• Like 1

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my case, I already have a retirement visa due to my property and my pensions.

Maybe I'm a workaholic, but I don't feel old enough to sit around at a stone table all day long and wait for my lady to come back home from work.

Do I understand correctly that a Digital Nomad is someone who does not need a working permit or a business visa ?

No your not understanding it correctly, there are very few exceptions to the WP requirements in Thailand, if your working in Thailand, ie physically present in the country and working you need a WP, the question of legality is not up for debate, the only question is will you get caught ? If you keep your mouth shut about what your doing shouldn't be an issue

• Like 1

Maybe I'm a workaholic, but I don't feel old enough to sit around at a stone table all day long and wait for my lady to come back home from work.

Do I understand correctly that a Digital Nomad is someone who does not need a working permit or a business visa ?

No your not understanding it correctly, there are very few exceptions to the WP requirements in Thailand, if your working in Thailand, ie physically present in the country and working you need a WP, the question of legality is not up for debate, the only question is will you get caught ? If you keep your mouth shut about what your doing shouldn't be an issue

Then why were all of the people that were arrested at PunSpace released without charge when they were working in a co-working space on Tourist and Education visas. They got caught! They also were released without charge.

I fail to understand why, given this, you declare the issue to be black and white when it clearly and demonstrably IS debatable.

You stated yourself previously on this thread that all we have is opinion, and that it would take a decision in court to have a clear answer, yet the very next day you return to stating that 'the question of legality is not up for debate'...

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 2

The first time in my life I heard about digital Nomads was about a month ago when the thread appeared on TVF.

From what I understood from that thread is that digital nomads are mainly young people that have an idea of how to use a computer and try to convince themselves that they have a job.

The don't offer any benefits to anybody, no taxes paid no social security just instead of trying to find a proper job they are pissing around the globe pretending they offer something to society.

From what I understood also they are earning a pittance of money.

I would call them lazy bums and I would advise them to go and get a job.

and they in turn would call you ignorant and anachronistic.

• Like 2

Then why were all of the people that were arrested at PunSpace released without charge when they were working in a co-working space on Tourist and Education visas. They got caught! They also were released without charge.

I fail to understand why, given this, you declare the issue to be black and white when it clearly and demonstrably IS debatable.

why they were not charged ?....could we suggest the mai pen rai attitude in Thailand, but this doesn't make it legal either, just means the BIB as with a lot of things are not doing their job properly

The question is not up for debate, the law is very specific, and it says one requires a work permit to work in Thailand, there is no debate in that statement, it is black and white

• Like 1

why they were not charged ?....could we suggest the mai pen rai attitude in Thailand, but this doesn't make it legal either, just means the BIB as with a lot of things are not doing their job properly

The question is not up for debate, the law is very specific, and it says one requires a work permit to work in Thailand, there is no debate in that statement, it is black and white

You're suggesting that the Immigration police, a department tasked with locating and prosecuting those in breach of their Visa regulations, went to the financial and logistical trouble of organising a raid on a business, arresting 15+ individuals, shipped them all to the police station, individually questioned them for hours, and then released them entirely without charge without any form of warning regarding their conduct, despite determining that those arrested were indeed the type of people that they should be locating and prosecuting, might have been 'mai pen rai' attitude?

Straws, clutching. Black and white, not.

The debatable area is surrounding what constitutes 'Work', and what constitutes 'In Thailand', with consideration to source of income, location of payment and interaction with Thai clients.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 1

You're suggesting that the Immigration police, a department tasked with locating and prosecuting those in breach of their Visa regulations, went to the financial and logistical trouble of organising a raid on a business, arresting 15+ individuals, shipped them all to the police station, individually questioned them for hours, and then released them entirely without charge without any form of warning regarding their conduct, despite determining that those arrested were indeed the type of people that they should be locating and prosecuting, might have been 'mai pen rai' attitude?

Straws, clutching, at. Black and white, not.

Er I believe the accusation was they were employee's of the Punspace and working without a WP, when it was established they where not they were released, as far as I am aware the "charges" did not relate to people working on line, just because it was proved they were not employees of the business doesn't infer that working on line is now legal

• Like 2

Straws, clutching, at. Black and white, not.

Er I believe the accusation was they were employee's of the Punspace and working without a WP, when it was established they where not they were released, as far as I am aware the "charges" did not relate to people working on line, just because it was proved they were not employees of the business doesn't infer that working on line is now legal

Charges occur after an arrest. Would someone arrested under suspicion for drug dealing by the Drug Squad be released without charge when it was determined they just had a bit to use themselves?

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 1

Ignore the trolls.

It seems to me that the only people who care about these issues are the two members of this forum's Angry Little 17K Club.

And with that ... I'm off to enjoy the beach.

• Like 2

Ignore the trolls.

It seems to me that the only people who care about these issues are the two members of this forum's Angry Little 17K Club.

Don't drown now or get hit by a speed boat ;)

• Like 2

http://asiancorrespondent.com/125980/thai-immigration-officials-say-digital-nomads-ok-to-work-on-tourist-visas/

Maybe I'm dumb and deaf, and a little blinded, too.

I read this:

Officials say digital nomads oK to work on tourist visa.

Is this black on white enough?

Er no this had already been debunked by a TV member who was at that meeting, the information was taken out of context and the question related to legitimate tourists checking their work email while on holiday ;)

So nice try no cigar,

• Like 1

Ignore the trolls.

Because you disagree with law the you resort to cslling psople trolls. Of you go, enjoy the beach and free wifi

• Like 1

http://asiancorrespondent.com/125980/thai-immigration-officials-say-digital-nomads-ok-to-work-on-tourist-visas/

Maybe I'm dumb and deaf, and a little blinded, too.

I read this:

Officials say digital nomads oK to work on tourist visa.

Is this black on white enough?

Er no this had already been debunked by a TV member who was at that meeting, the information was taken out of context and the question related to legitimate tourists checking their work email while on holiday wink.png

So nice try no cigar,

How long must one be a TV member to obtain a legal certificate in debunking? Again it's opinion, and one that differs from that of the reporter that interpreted the scenario differently. I believe the opposing statement a few years ago by the official in Phuket raised similar objections from some that it was out of context.

I agree that none of these (i.e. two in three years) statements (not that they are really 'statements' as such, more like short, tangential, off the cuff q&a responses) by Immigration Officials mean very much either way, only way there will be a definitive answer is if someone is arrested, charged, and tried in court. Until then, my opinion, likely contrarian to yours, is 'debatable'.

That said - if that ever happens and someone is found to be in breach, I certainly wouldn't like to be known as the guy that likes spending all day at the 'co-working space'.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Due to the incredible immersion that certain posters have displayed in this thread, my only conclusion is that they are being paid as Digital Nomads to contribute—there could be no other possible reason for such obsessiveness. Are there any other paid DM positions open at TV?

Edited by tookwan cottage

A lot of people getting their panties wadded up over "digital nomads" there are a lot worse things going on then someone sat in their hotel room or condo tapping away on a laptop.

Get a grip.

Bad day playing poker Jom ?

Yep....losing heavily today. :-)

I think it's quite clearly stated:

You should be employed by someone in Europe or elsewhere, but you are free to check emails from your employee while on vacation in Thailand.

For some IT Professionals this is normal procedure even if illegal in some European countries (Germany eg): Your boss might only let you go for holiday if you promise to keep in contact with your company.

I think it's quite clearly stated:

You should be employed by someone in Europe or elsewhere, but you are free to check emails from your employee while on vacation in Thailand.

For some IT Professionals this is normal procedure even if illegal in some European countries (Germany eg): Your boss might only let you go for holiday if you promise to keep in contact with your company.

No, we need to wait for the official declarations of both mrtoad and Soutpeel, as I now follow them as the foremost experts on this topic. No-one else is as advanced in their knowledge of the topic.

In fact, can the administrators please close this thread and open an official Digital Nomad section for the aforementioned members, so that all confusion is eliminated and we never need to discuss the topic again? They are the only ones who know, so I suggest that we all acknowledge this and leave it at that.

Further to my last point, what is the best way to maintain contact with both mrtoad and Soutpeel so that I can be sure I am aware of all matters pertaining to Digital Nomads in Thailand?

Otherwise, I will start a Wordpress blog to publish your expertise if you are both amenable to the idea? If we can garner the support of other TV members, than we can actually create the ultimate resource on the topic, thereby laying rest to the potential of future confusion.

I am serious about this. Are there any other supporters?

• Like 1