Full-moon party only at Haad Rin

Lite Beer

Sounds like a great place. Swimming in sewage, vomit, broken bottles, dog shit, and thousands of drunken morons male and female.

I think a realistic number would be 25,000 to 30,000, once or twice a year. Right now, in the middle of low season 3,000 to 4,000 would be a good estimation.

The rest is as you say, but people want to believe it is the devil's playground.

Of course, some looking after their own interests would like to see the island transformed into a family destination, but the numbers would drop to 10% and how would that sustain an entire island? They might have considered this before they invested so much money here...

Things may have gotten out of hand; instead of banning parties why not address the real problems. I see very few complaints here about bad things people have actually experienced - it's always 'a friend' or 'know someone' or 'heard of'...

I would think there are around 25'000 to 35'000 for around 6 months of the year.

At low season maybe around 15'000 to 20'000 and during "no season", just under
10'000 people.

Last year the x-mas and new years party was an absolute record with over 80'000

bracelets being sold plus who knows how many people didn't have to pay. The

organisers estimate was around 120'000 people.

Now as for 'friends of friends' or 'know someone', do they not count?

I can say out of many years experience, I "know someone" more or less every time
there is a party who had a problem, ranging from motorbike accidents, lost flip-flops,

lost boyfriends, stolen passports, money or virginity BUT, most of the time, that was
exactly those youngsters who didn't take advice seriously and threw all the caution
in the wind.

Now funny enough, I have customers from all over the world but from the few people
I know who had problems at the parties, the majority are either British or Australians.
Could that be attributed to the British or Australians "Binge Drinking" culture?

I may well be a little out of touch - if those numbers are accurate I am not surprised it has gotten out of control... Cannot imagine where they all fit though as Had Rin beach has not changed size? It's been a few years since I was at one (Dec 24) and it was a big one - about 40k I believe was the estimate. I think it was 2010.

Yes, the 'friends of friends' comment you make is valid, however I am talking about real problems, involving serious assault. Perhaps I should have been clearer and said 'life threatening'. Don't want to argue the point though.

Concur on the binge drinkers - larger than life types often come down to earth with a bang...

Edit: October month was about 3,000 from what I have heard.

There isnt much room left... It takes hours to walk from one end of the beach to the other . Haddrin is now famous for its golden water at sunrise not because of dawn but because the toilets cant cope...

the whole place stinks like a sewer during party nights.

And why don,t you guys and girls stay home and drink yourself silly. Thailand did fine before the parties and will likely do fine without them . Just proves to me and others the type of LOW quality tourist Thailand attracts. DRUNKS! If you wish to kill yourself go for it but please do it at home where mom and dad can keep an eye on you. Like it or not the FMP days are numbered.

live and let live.we all will die soon or later

i will come to drink booze on your favourite thai beach because i like to do so

Edited by kaobang
  • Like 1

And why don,t you guys and girls stay home and drink yourself silly. Thailand did fine before the parties and will likely do fine without them . Just proves to me and others the type of LOW quality tourist Thailand attracts. DRUNKS! If you wish to kill yourself go for it but please do it at home where mom and dad can keep an eye on you. Like it or not the FMP days are numbered.

live and let live.we all will die soon or later

i will come to drink booze on your favourite thai beach because i like to do so

biggrin.png Quality!

Let me tell you ill-informed TV readers, this has been a long time in the making, and if true, and enforced, will bring a massive change to the fortunes of many small, hard working business people on KPG. The Thai methodology for starting a new business is to simply imitate an existing one that appears to be successful. Hence the proliferation of parties on the island. Someone thought the FMP would be swell, and I guess it was for considerable years. Then a guy called Jan started the Black moon at greenpeace bungalows... that was about 20 years ago. He had issues and left, leaving a fair amount of time until Mac picked up the BMP. In the time since, we have added the half moon, shivamoon, Loy lay, jungle experience and a host of other more obscure entities, like the pirate moon etc. Each of them has an after party, through the day, in effect doubling the already mind numbing number of parties. The problem is that to expand a party business. all you can do is have more parties. And this became like a cancer.

I might add that the PHA (Phangan hotels association) was set up about 2 years ago to counter the impact the parties were having on the island's marketability. Read between the lines. The common thread is that most business people would be better off without the parties. Business would flourish. Vice and crime would decline (because of the sub-culture that is magnetized to the party scene... hookers pimps pushers, mugs, thugs, buggerers etc). The parties for so long have served a very few people. Needless to say they are not always very nice people, that's why our german mate was shot in the ass... they were not aiming for his ass. The aspiration is to attract a higher calibre of tourist. Families etc. The party environment is totally the antithesis of family friendliness.

No one cares about Hadrin, so they can slash and burn and do what they want... but when they start having mind bending raves in the middle of the village, 200 meters away from the school, keeping everyone awake at night, I think it's fair to say they have gone too far. I could tell you a million stories about this... but can't be bothered. FWIW the FMP is closely tied to the monk. This is easily established fact if you know the families.

Although I cant disagree with what you say but an overall ban is a big shame .

It is only the FMP that is dangerous and many problems arise . There is obviously an issue of day to day life for locals , children at schools being effected by drugged up zombies and loud music. I believe there should be some kind of overall planning involved or Zoning as to where these parties should take place and maybe organized transport for them to avoid the accidents in the morning to counter those issues. Mac's BMP is very close to a school. and so many after parties are probably not so good for local life to live around, particularly as these people are really mashed by the time they leave, but others have carved out niches far out in the jungle away from inconvenience to locals and kids. and IMO makes for better venues than hard to dance on sandy beaches. But then I am getting to old for these big parties as I discovered last time I was there preferring the smaller gatherings at random bar/ parties around the place.

But I would have thought if the FMP is currently unstoppable, more party venues to offer better all month business for small business operators and reduce the pressure or need for FMP. the only way things will change with the FMP is if the party becomes unvogue... I think it is close to that now. too many kids, a lack of quality. someone on a earlier post compared the FMP to the old raves back home . but IMO they are a million miles off. The level of service and quality was way better back then I've never found a party in Thailand that comes close to what we that were lucky enough to grow up in the late 80's early 90's in the uk and across Europe experienced. Fashion comes and goes quickly and can be manipulated easily.. Thats the way forward..

.. The big businesses want shot of the parties because they can make more money from 4 star tourism with families and high budget travellers. but there are dozens of locations like that in Thailand already ,Samui, Phuket, the list goes on . I believe Thailand is on the map as a great destination because there is something for everyone A hedonistic party island isn't everyones cup of tea but dont take it away from those that want to blow off some steam in crazy carefree fashion.. and turn it into just another family resort Island.

The FMP is very stoppable... in fact it has been dying its own slow death for many years. Fewer and fewer are "ticking it off the to do" list... and the ones who come, are staying shorter and shorter. It stifles business development. I know this... I've seen over 300.

Edited by mojorison

well, the ban on all night parties on koh phangan certainly did not last long! huge party last night (jungle experience party, I think?) went until dawn! why does the government bother announcing a ban on all night "illegal" parties if police here are still being paid off with bribes to allow the parties to continue??? it REALLY makes them look ridiculous! everyone knows how corrupt the Mercedes driving police chief is, as well as all the police below him. if the ban on all night parties is not going to be enforced, then the government should just be quiet. they're really making ridiculous fools out of themselves...

The left hand doesn't know what the right is doing...

Today, on the Lomprayah ferry tv screens there's an ad for the next one - 16 November. blink.png

The Full Moon Party should have been shut down years ago. One reason the crime. Second reason . Just to many stupid clueless foreigners. I will have a party myself the day i hear it is shut down. Curious how many have died over the years that have not been reported. The island mafia won,t be very happy about it. I say it is time to SHUT IT DOWN! Would not break my heart to see that entire bunch out of Thailand.

The number one reason for farang related crime in Thailand is grumpy old man coming to Thailand for sex with young girls, not backpackers coming to Thailand to have good time.

Look at Pattaya, you can find mafias from every part of the world there, it is a real s. hole with regular murders every week. So if a bunch has to be out of Thailand it is not backpackers, it is the sex fueled grumpy old men bunch.

So grumpy old backpackers or Ajarns as they become must be a real downer to those who seek the negative.

Location is a dsitraction,rape murder drugs happen all over the place even in alcohol and drug banned places.

Of course the re set means everything will be happy again imminently.

12 step prog is starting whereby locals will pretend to smile in fact i believe TAT is to launch a campaign

Having hard time picking from so many excellet slogans

Siam the land of smirks

Thailand we'll love your deposits forever

Amusing Lieland

Takes your death Away

Kowtow murder mystery magic

well, the ban on all night parties on koh phangan certainly did not last long! huge party last night (jungle experience party, I think?) went until dawn! why does the government bother announcing a ban on all night "illegal" parties if police here are still being paid off with bribes to allow the parties to continue??? it REALLY makes them look ridiculous! everyone knows how corrupt the Mercedes driving police chief is, as well as all the police below him. if the ban on all night parties is not going to be enforced, then the government should just be quiet. they're really making ridiculous fools out of themselves...

the coffee of some member i dont want to mention(jdinasia) will be salty today

Huh?

My coffee was fine. It usually is for people actually in Thailand.

As for the post you quoted. He should go back and read the OP. It specifically referred to beach parties

Huh?

My coffee was fine. It usually is for people actually in Thailand.

As for the post you quoted. He should go back and read the OP. It specifically referred to beach parties

The government transcript named the "other parties in the jungle and waterfall"... so go back to your corner.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Agree nuke the place add Pattaya, Phuket, Koh Samui and the other islands ,Koh Phi Phi . Where have i forgotten ?

Ban it anyway it's full of idiots both Thai and farang, and neither respect the beach as it always ends up full of junk,

Nuke the place.

black n' white like day n' night, .... think a bit harder and you'll see the light.

You sound like just the type of person Thailand needs less of. Disrespectful to the Thais and their culture. Typical party moron. hope the cops take you for a long stay in the monkey house. You;ll have lots of time to think things over there.

Why? Worried you might end up in jail

Yes amongst other things. Cops and fun don't mix.....and neither do you apparently.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to report that things are blissfully peaceful on my island. Business is healthy, the guests we have staying have IQs greater than 62, and seem to have something known as "money". They don't eat 6 day old bacon dogs from 7 eleven, and buy tiger and bags of ice. (And expect to put it in our fridge). Oh the joy of catering to these wonderful people. I say this with the utmost sincerity, which is unusual for me, as I am well known for being completely insincere. These feelings I dare say are shared by all and sundry, (and when I say all and sundry, I mean those people that matter...) not the oxygen thieves that we have so long had infest our shores like cancerous tumours.

If i understand you correctly. Are you saying you are happy to see the FMP crowd gone ? Would love to hear your honest, direct and blunt opinion of them. It seems from what i am able to gather from that crowd is that they can care less about the locals ,their culture and all they care about is themselves. It is not only the FMP crowd but millions of others that visit Thailand both men and women young and old that tend to believe they can do anything they wish here. This goes for drunks walking down main street with beer in hand at 8 am, sex tourists showing off their newest prize , women walking half naked on the beach, and if i understand you correct the same people perhaps you would like to see less of. If or not you are making a buck off of them. Sad to report these are the majority not the minority that visit here. But it is nice to know there are others like myself who have gotten to the point of having to live in remote places to avoid the problems or have just given up after many years and left the country. Foreigners often complain about how rude and dishonest the Thais are and complain non stop. Never looking at themselves and taking some responsibility for their dumb actions. I can fully understand why many of the Thais have come to HATE us. Perhaps the foreigners can get away with their bad behavior at home but here they stand out like a sore thumb. To be honest it would not break my heart to see the FMP shut down forever. Thousands have been injured , beaten, robbed, and many raped and even killed. But again it problems are mostly caused by the foreigners themselves. Tired of hearing about how bad the Thais are . This is THEIR home not ours. Sad but i doubt they get that because of their lack of common sense,low I.Q , drug problems and severe alcoholism .

Happy to report that things are blissfully peaceful on my island. Business is healthy, the guests we have staying have IQs greater than 62, and seem to have something known as "money". They don't eat 6 day old bacon dogs from 7 eleven, and buy tiger and bags of ice. (And expect to put it in our fridge). Oh the joy of catering to these wonderful people. I say this with the utmost sincerity, which is unusual for me, as I am well known for being completely insincere. These feelings I dare say are shared by all and sundry, (and when I say all and sundry, I mean those people that matter...) not the oxygen thieves that we have so long had infest our shores like cancerous tumours.

...have you seen the advertisements for the 15 day party on the beach around NYE yet? very bold of the dj's Benoit C, David Chong, et al seeing that ALL parties except the dangerous and disgusting FMP are supposed to stop? they're advertising psychedelic situations that will last all night and finish at 10am in the morning. the ads have already attracted 1000's of scumbags to state that they will be attending! I also don't understand why the dj's advertise publicly when they do not have work permits? and, NO, they are not volunteering but there is no need for admins to delete my post as the dj's I mentioned do not use their legal names.

Edited by Madison blue

...I just read bad news... according to jungle experience parties, all parties will officially restart again on December 4th. I was sincerely hoping the ban would last as it only attracts trash, however, it appears it will all return to same same as it ever was... shame. I guess it was simply more hot air from the governor and police chief who needs more money to maintain his Mercedes, Harley, and perhaps buy himself bigger and better tacky gold chains...

All of these 'full moon' parties should be banned by the central government.

Grumpy old man award... This ban is just the Govts way of saying they are clueless, the KT murder was not related to a "party" ...it was a random crime possible anywhere at any time.

Whether or not they were related to a "party" it will be EXCELLENT if all those parties get banned, along with the awful party bars that blast noise till 3am or longer. Been on too many beaches spoiled by horrid noise all night.

Unfortunately, I doubt if they will stay banned long, if at all.

agreed. borrowed money or free money from mommy and daddy. so glad i don,t live anywhere near that entire province. it attracts some serious screwed up people from all ages both men and women. but the brain dead brats really make me ill khao san road koh phi phi and pai up north attract much the same. they are totally clueless how much the Thais hate them. i spent one night on the island years ago and encountered the brats . just gave me the creeps! nice to see there are a few that agree with me. in general i don,t like bars period