DNA tests for rice stocks to determine their origins

Lite Beer

DNA tests for rice stocks to determine their origins

7-27-2014-11-27-40-PM-wpcf-728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Inspection of government’s rice stockpiles to determine their quantity has been completed but the result cannot be disclosed yet pending DNA tests of rice samples to ascertain whether they are Thai rice of grains smuggled in from neighbouring countries.

Prime Minister’s Office Minister Panadda Diskul, in his capacity as head of the rice quality examination subcommittee, said today (Saturday) that it was the wish of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha to make sure that the government’s rice stocks were not adulterated and the only to find out was to test the DNA of rice samples.

Rice experts from Kasetsart University’s Kamphaengsaen campus have been assigned to conduct the DNA tests which will take time and have to be done properly, said M.L. Panadda, adding that even the PM’s Office or the subcommittee he is heading cannot intervene with the experts.

He assured that the DNA tests were meant to make the rice quality examination complete and were not meant to discredit the rice pledging scheme.

And once the DNA tests are completed, a full report of the rice stocks examination will be disclosed to the public, he added.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/dna-tests-rice-stocks-determine-origins/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-26

It's good to hear that Thailand has full DNA testing facilities which can be put to use when required.

Turnaround should be just one day. My guess is it's Burmese rice

The rice will have to be interrogated by the BIB with a phone book first, for a full confession, before the DNA test.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

whistling.gif "Male Bovine Fecal matter". Or more bluntly Bulls- -t.

Rice is Rice, it's DNA is not different if it is grown in Thailand or Myanmar.

The only way Thai Rice could be distinguished from Burmese Rice is not by the DNA, which would be the same for every species of Rice wherever it is grown ..... as long as the species of Rice is the same for both places.

The only possible way to be able to tell Rice grown in Thailand from the same species of Rice grown in Myanmar is from a detailed chemical analysis of the trace elements in the soil of both locations.

Then if the trace elements in the Rice, and NOT the DNA, were to match the trace elements in the soil in one location, and not the other location, then you could assume the Rice was grown in that location where the trace elements in it matched and not in the other location where the trace elements did not match.

But as I said before the DNA in a similar species of Rice would be the same whether it was grown in Myanmar, Thailand, or for that matter Scotland.

• Like 2

Smuggled rice has less to do with the government program and more about Thai Big men and a broken corrupt distribution system.

Smuggled rice has all to do with the government program .... why do you think there was a program in the first place.... wake-up...!!! w00t.gif

The only way Thai Rice could be distinguished from Burmese Rice is not by the DNA, which would be the same for every species of Rice wherever it is grown ..... as long as the species of Rice is the same for both places.

The only possible way to be able to tell Rice grown in Thailand from the same species of Rice grown in Myanmar is from a detailed chemical analysis of the trace elements in the soil of both locations.

Then if the trace elements in the Rice, and NOT the DNA, were to match the trace elements in the soil in one location, and not the other location, then you could assume the Rice was grown in that location where the trace elements in it matched and not in the other location where the trace elements did not match.

But as I said before the DNA in a similar species of Rice would be the same whether it was grown in Myanmar, Thailand, or for that matter Scotland.

<deleted>..... if you really believe that ... sad farang...giggle.gif

What happens if thai rice is brought to Burma, then this thai rice grown in Burma is brought to thailand? Do they think it's rice grown in thailand? Yes, they incorrectly do. Maybe there are facets to this the duder does not understand, man.

Edited by meand

http://foodtesting.eurofins.cn/en/archive/global-services/authenticity/rice-authenticity-by-dna-testing.aspx

It's interesting to note that at present, there is only one facility that can carry out this dna testing

Edited by ChrisY1

http://foodtesting.eurofins.cn/en/archive/global-services/authenticity/rice-authenticity-by-dna-testing.aspx

It's interesting to note that at present, there is only one facility that can carry out this dna testing

The inter sting note for me is I will guarantee that the samples are not handled properly. I perhaps could get as far as trusting the actual facility, but who is collecting these samples? How are they doing it? How are they handling, sorting and organizing them? Do they even understand the potential contamination issues. Are scientists or just average thai dudes collecting them. I think we know the answers to all these questions, and they are scary.

Not exactly. Human beings are of the same species. And my DNA is even distinguishable from my own brothers' DNA.

Dozens, if not hundreds (thousands??) of strains of rice grown around the world, and DNA can help distinguish them.

A 30 second internet search shows you are incorrect, DNA testing CAN be done on rice to prove what they are trying to prove.

• Like 2

Smuggled rice has less to do with the government program and more about Thai Big men and a broken corrupt distribution system.

Smuggled rice has all to do with the government program .... why do you think there was a program in the first place.... wake-up...!!! w00t.gif

Yep, winner.

Corrupt Millers got rich

Corupt Customs got rich

Corrupt cops got rich

Polies got their cut

and they got the vote from the farmers in the rice fields beofre they were not paid and got less than they were promised..

So do they have a data base of all Thai rice? Otherwise seems rather pointless.... even if they do seems pointless come to think of it. Maybe should release some microscope photos of rice: "Grown in Burma" written very very small. Dylan comes to what passes as mind in me head "Don't think, rice, it's alright". Must be a kernel of truth in there.

Not sure about 'geographical location', but DNA testing should show type or subtype of the grains.

With the previous results of "actual type different from registered type" based on what inspectors saw, the DNA testing should give more 'scientific' proof of this. As for region of origin, do regions 'exclusively' use certain strains?

For general information:

http://www.ulpotha.com/heritagerice.html

http://www.opendevelopmentcambodia.net/news/rice-registration-for-different-strains/ (2012-10-04)

Nice to see Doctor Evil hiding out in thr Thai government.

This is an odd issue, but why will they admit to the market that the product is adulterated? Surely these tests should be done on the hush

Not all rice in storage will have been supplemented by that which was brought in from other countries, likely only the stores closest to the borders will be affected.

And Oh, its a matter of honesty, like telling your customers the truth about the product you are trying to sell them.

The previous good reputation of Thai rice was tarnished by inferior stuff being sold during the previous administration, in order to get back that reputation and the trust of the customer they need to be told the truth about what they are buying.

Can you relate to that in the everyday purchasing you do ?

It's good to hear that Thailand has full DNA testing facilities which can be put to use when required.

Turnaround should be just one day. My guess is it's Burmese rice

Rice planted by Burmese is NOT Burmese rice.

Right, it's martian rice yes?

Nice to see Doctor Evil hiding out in thr Thai government.

This is an odd issue, but why will they admit to the market that the product is adulterated? Surely these tests should be done on the hush

Glad i wasnt the only one looking and thinking oooo a skinny Dr evil with glasses.

Or an Asian mini skinny me