Honest Pattaya Baht Bus Driver returns “lost” money to Russian Tourists

webfact

Good to hear of this, restores my faith that there are a few honest people left in this world, his Karma shall be rewarded 10 fold, for this good act of honesty, I hope he received some sort of reward payment, to help keep him honest in the future. I would have rewarded him handsomely for his one in a million jester.clap2.gifwai2.gifthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Asians (incl. Thais) are maybe not half as criminal as Farangs are.

I have been on a long-distance train (completely overcrowded) in India once where I dropped my belt with virtually everything (passport, money etc) in it. I noticed that at the train station when the train I was on had already left. The Indians gave me a free ride on a faster train so I could overcome the train where I dropped everything. And when I entered that train, eeverything was still there - although hundreds of Indians must have seen it, but no one would steal anything.

The same holds true for Thailand: many people had a chance to steal money from me, but no one (really no one) would take any advantage of it.

The places where I got robbed where exclusively in Europe.

Firstly, if this s completely true then I congratulate the driver.

But I raise a point set out earlier. If you have 60,000 baht in a bag are you likely to 'forget it'.?

Also, if it's left in the back what happened? Was the driver alerted by another passenger - in which case we should applaud the honest passenger. (The previous poster made the point about the driver checking the back of the bus each time a passenger gets off).

I just don't understand how this could have happened without the involvement of an honest 3rd party.

But, well done that man.

The Bangkok Post fills in the details you require.

I think religion has a lot to do with this honesty. My wife is somekind of conservative Buddhist, and do not let me take a rose for her, even if the plants are outside abandoned houses....." It is not yours..do not take it..." Living in Thailand countryside I am amazed watching Thai modest people buying mangoes at local street markets.....when many mango trees full of fruit are growing on.....and falling rotten. Probably children had fun with that, at night...but never saw anybody taking advantage of it. I am tented many times...and still amazed with so many fruit trees on public streets and parks around my house...but.......I cannot bring it home without "prove of purchase"...

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1

But I raise a point set out earlier. If you have 60,000 baht in a bag are you likely to 'forget it'.?

Also, if it's left in the back what happened? Was the driver alerted by another passenger - in which case we should applaud the honest passenger. (The previous poster made the point about the driver checking the back of the bus each time a passenger gets off).

I just don't understand how this could have happened without the involvement of an honest 3rd party.

But, well done that man.

All good points and I guess a dishonest driver may have agreed to tell the police but not done so.

They don't know how LUCKY they were!

What are the odds ... rolleyes.gif

I suggest all riders try to memorize the hero's face and pay him 20 baht for short rides!

I am surprised so many of you think this is so extraordinary. I have encountered many Thais--working and upper classes--with the honesty gene. However, I do go out of my way to be friendly and treat them like people. Do you really know any Thais? And, I don't mean in the biblical sense. I mean know them as friends; like invite them to your house, or go out socially with them?

• Like 1

But, well done that man.

I I left £3k sterling on the roof of my car once when we were buying a pony. Drove off, got to the yard and realised what had happened. I drove back and the envelope was in the road with money still inside so these people are not the only ones to forget but who cares? A nice uplifting story for a change!

Returning money to the farang people!

Seriously, anything important or irreplaceable should be kept on person in money belt, zippered pocket, etc. for obvious reasons. I never carry anything of value can be detached from my body without undressing me.

Congrats to the honest driver and a question to the poster who reportedly lost 2.5 MB - <deleted>?

Edited by MaxYakov

What a wonderful piece of PR work which will enhance Pattaya,s status as a friendly/honest holiday resort-I can see this being broadcast throughout Russia and bookings to the LOS going haywire................p.s.well done to the songtaew driver is this story is true thumbsup.gif

Bless you Khun Surashort, for living up to the label 'Land of Smiles'. I mean, look at the smiles on thoses Russian faces... I gotta say... I sure wish they looked like that more often, especially in elevators, but hey perhaps they will learn eventually ?

And you're not the only one, Mr Songtaeow Driver.

This morning I went to the pharmacy nearby (called Ocean Drug, on Tappraya road in Jomtien across Viewtalay 5) and as soon as she saw me, the pharmacist said "Ah ! here you are, Mister, I was waiting for you to come back. Last time I overcharged you for Colchicine because I typed the wrong code, but by the time I realized my mistake you were gone". She had the money ready for me in a little plastic bag. Thanks Miss !

Yes, there are lots of good people in this country, and the hysterical TVF Thai Bashing Brigade are not in that group.

• Like 1

If this incident occurred 20 years ago, I would have nodded my head and said "yep this is Thainess"

But in 2014, "this is not Thainess".

Well, he's an old guy.

I really think I have seen him around.

I'm thinking of doing some random acts of kindness for him if I see him ... not just 20 baht!

What a guy!

I have a personal story of a similar occurrence in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

I had been in the city at one of the old souks with a friend purchasing a refrigerator. In

a rush to get it loaded onto a truck along a busy street, I set my valuables down on the side

of the road and left them there. I had lost all my ID and the equivalent of probably 30,000

Baht. I didn't notice until we returned home and was resigned to the fact that come the end

of the weekend I'd just have to go through the process of replacing all my ID.

However, on Saturday (first work day of the work week in Saudi) while I was figuring out how to go

about replacing everything, I received a phone call from security at our offices. Turns out

someone had recovered my bag and turned it in, all there including the cash. They had tracked

me down because of my company ID. Sadly, I never got to meet or thank whomever it was that

recovered and returned my personal items.

The point of telling my seemingly unrelated story is so we don't forget that there are decent

honest hard working people all around us wherever we are, regardless of their nationality,

race or religion.

i think i would do the same in saudi,....better than loosing your hand if caught imo !

If anyone watches uk tv much there was a documentary on "honesty in the uk" , choosing 1 city in each of england{london.] edinborough, befast and cardiff , leaving wallets with £100 plus credit cards overall only 60% were handed in and most with the cash gone , ....im happy to say Cardiff came top,...........London bottom , did'nt suprise me !,....wonder if it was all those asians ?? cheesy.gif

Edited by osiboy

Russians, what can you say, Hope the bus driver was given a decent award. Doesn't seem to much to ask.

Starts to get annoying when people post this sort of rubbish when they obviously didn't have the sense to click on the link. This isn't the first one either.

It clearly shows that a reward of 6000 baht was given.

Put this man's picture in the hall of fame of honest Thai cab drivers, that's is if there is one....

Yes, it is right next to the Taxi drivers hall of SHAME.whistling.gif

Glad he got a decent tip.clap2.gif

Edited by khundon

It still baffles me how much cash some guys carry around.

And for the first time I see a reasonable reward given to the driver. 6,000 Baht. Well done tourists!

FYI

Thailand Civil and Commercial code.

Section 1324. A finder of lost property may claim from the person entitled to receive it a reward of ten per cent of the value of the property up to thirty thousand baht, and five per cent on the additional value. However, if he delivers the property to the police or other competent official, two and a half per cent of the value of the property shall, in addition to the reward, be paid as a fee to the Government service concerned, but, in no case, shall such fee exceed one thousand baht.

• Like 2