What is wrong with Kad Suan Kaew?

jko

I agree,we've bought a lot of stuff at the Central dept store -- just about all the appliances in our condo, including a big refrigerator, TV and many, many small appliances. They stand behind their appliances and it's much easier to get a broken appliance over to Central than someplace else if it dies. Once we did buy a TV and sound system at Siam TV and it was a hassle waiting for them to deliver (they didn't come when they said, unlike the Central staf fwho usually just follows us home on foot right after we make a purchase) and then the Siam TV guys didn't have all the stuff they needed to properly install the system.

Let's see what else do we do at KSK -- we're in there 5 or 6 times a week. There's banking, paying phone, internet and Truevisions bills. Food court & Subway. Pizza and Sizzler. Several coffee shops. (Don't need the ice cream shop, but it has a good view of activity on Huey Kaew) Massage, hair & nails. Export clothing shop. Several drug stores. Office supplies at B2S in Central. Tops of course, although I wish it were a really nice Rim Ping. Sadly, the Rim Ping at Maya isn't worth the 15 minute walk when Tops is a 5 minute walk. Post office. Copy shop -- really good copy shop. Copy keys. Replace watch battery. Get passport photos. Buy cake for Hubby's b-day. Buy home decor items in the "Thai village" area in the back of the basement, like chair cushions and tablecloths. Look at the list of movies playing at the cinema and wish they still had some with English soundtrack or subtitles.

And something that always happens when I'm in KSK -- run into at least three or four people I know for a nice chat!

You forgot the little local library there with the delicious 10 baht sock coffee where you can sit and also look at one of the books for as long as you like and if you eyes are getting such you have trouble seeing the passing scenery at least one good optician. (and I do not mean the big chain ones).

Not to mention the pleasant live music while you eat in the food court if it is still there (a little while since I have been able to)..

Edited by harrry

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

love ksk my favourite shopping place,but mainly use tops,some great value bargins there,be a sorry day for many people if ksk close,especially if you bank at bangkok bank as well, next nearest one pantip plaza isnt it,certinally not maya and rimping expensive there ,overall for me and many expats living around huay kaew, have to go airport plaza for something simalar,dont think many posters have a clue about retail therapy,but there agian not in males make up about such mundane things,but of course if they could turn it in to a sister festival store now that would be acceptable.

I like KSK myself. The prices at Central KSK are much better than Festival. A few months ago we were in the market for a new coffee maker. We saw one we liked at Central Festival but it was quite expensive and the sales people would not budge on the price. We went to KSK Central and ended up getting the same coffee maker for 25% less. I always buy good quality shoes at Central KSK and often they are 60% off, same with bed sheets, blankets, towels, etc. Years back we got great deals on baby items. It's easy to do the banking there. Tops has improved as of late. It really sucked during and for a long time after the floods. We bought 2 Samsung tablets, six months apart, up on the 3rd?? Floor, each with 8-10 months remaining on warranty, in perfect shape for about 50% off the cost new. Lots of bargains in there if you look around.

DLock - "poor food court"? Hmmm... Promenada is what I would call a bad food court. The Thais in my family won't eat there. It's almost always empty or maybe 4 or 5 or people eating there at one time. At KSK, there are a couple of places in the food court that have been there for many years and do a robust business every single day. They are quite tasty. True some have closed lately.

For me and my family it's the place where we shop. We know where to go, are confident we can find a good price, and get in and get out quickly. The one thing I absolutely hate there is that horrible 'pet shop' in the parking lot.

And...over the years I've had some interesting liaisons with young ladies I've met there, especially in the back aisles where the beauty shops, cheap clothing stores, etc. are. There's a certain "sleaze" factor about it that suits me.wink.png

I can't recall ever noticing the security guards others are talking about.

Just wondering.

We saw one we liked at Central Festival but it was quite expensive and the sales people would not budge on the price. We went to KSK Central and ended up getting the same coffee maker for 25% less.

Was it at the central store in the central festival? I suppose the rent they have to pay might lead to higher pricing.

I am surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but several local Thai businessmen have told me that when the lease expires Central will clear out and the mall will close. Apparently an agreeable deal could not be reached between Central group and the owners of the land/building. I am curious if anyone else has heard something similar?

I've had it with Tops KSK.

The security guards are creepy and had one of them bearing down on me at the check out like I stole something. These guards are farm dumb.

I like KSK but you are right about the farm dumb guards. What do you say to them to get them off your case or do you talk with the manager?

I find it really annoying and somewhat disconcerting

A couple of times I've been so annoyed by it that I've stopped in my tracks and just stood there giving them the evil eye until they back away.

Barking and growling is more effective than the evil eye. Saves time too.

• Like 1

If true, that will not be good for businesses operating near the mall either. That could cause a lot of people problems.

I hope their information is incorrect, I like Kad San Kaew. In fact I think I will go there today to buy an appliance instead of Central Festival (near my home).

Wow, a lot of people like KSK...and if it works for them, that's great.

Maybe it's just me. I am just not a mall kind of guy. Don't like wandering or browsing.

Elektrified, yeah the food court doesn't do it for me...and no argument about Promenada. I don't like that either...I mush prefer Japanese or even Sizzler is ok when I am really hungry...having said that I do eat at the Big C Food Court on Hang Dong rd...just because its convenient, easy parking and I can shop at the same time.

The live music is still at KSK in the evenings, complete with the guy styling what Elvis would have been at age 70, with a hair dye job from a Thai salon. It's in the "Blue Food Court" in the basement. Did you know that even Thai people call it the "Blue Food Court"? Yup, nothing like a tower of Chang beer with your buddies and Elvis in the Blue Food Court on a Friday evening in Chiang Mai.

I forgot to mention the little local library and cheap coffee. Hubby likes the place.

As for Bangkok Bank locations close to KSK -- let's see, there's Harbor Place or whatever they call that place on Huey Kaew beyond Maya Mall (they really messed up in not opening a BB at Maya) and there's a BB on Nimman. Not exactly close to KSK.

It makes no sense to me, but the KSG blue food court is ten times better than the food court at Maya.

Maya has three great things for me: the cinema, Rim Ping, and a few Japanese restaurants that are pretty OK but not super great.

Wow, a lot of people like KSK...and if it works for them, that's great.

Maybe it's just me. I am just not a mall kind of guy. Don't like wandering or browsing.

Elektrified, yeah the food court doesn't do it for me...and no argument about Promenada. I don't like that either...I mush prefer Japanese or even Sizzler is ok when I am really hungry...having said that I do eat at the Big C Food Court on Hang Dong rd...just because its convenient, easy parking and I can shop at the same time.

With the fine restaurants Promenada has it is unfair to compare their food court to another Mall. I will have to try sizzler at KSK the one at the Central Festival was a huge disappointment. The one at the airport was so so last time I ate there. Personally I think they are slipping in the food department. The salad bar is the only reason to go there.

The live music is still at KSK in the evenings, complete with the guy styling what Elvis would have been at age 70, with a hair dye job from a Thai salon. It's in the "Blue Food Court" in the basement. Did you know that even Thai people call it the "Blue Food Court"? Yup, nothing like a tower of Chang beer with your buddies and Elvis in the Blue Food Court on a Friday evening in Chiang Mai.

I forgot to mention the little local library and cheap coffee. Hubby likes the place.

As for Bangkok Bank locations close to KSK -- let's see, there's Harbor Place or whatever they call that place on Huey Kaew beyond Maya Mall (they really messed up in not opening a BB at Maya) and there's a BB on Nimman. Not exactly close to KSK.

Mr Sombat at the Bangkok Bank, inside KSK, is one of the most helpful people in banking in CM.He was at Harbour Place and they moved him down to KSK because of his command of the English language.He has helped a lot of friends of mine.

I absolutely agree with the many positive points posted here about KSK - it is clearly an oasis of good retail outlets, banks, eateries, small shops etc., in a prime, easy-to-get-to location.

If however it is being left to slowly fade away as I originally postulated - tenants already moving out, Creative Kingdom (who once had a huge office there) long gone, the Kad Theatre under-utilised, and rumours of Central Dept Store leaving, then it is unlikely to survive as it is.

The possibility therefore is that it could be demolished - but to make way for what? Another ugly concrete-and-glass condo? Or another glitzy mega-mall?

Let's all hope it can be tastefully renovated, retaining all the facilities we enjoy, and with the splendid Kad Theatre becoming an internationally recognised centre of music, drama and Lanna culture.

Fingers crossed krub.

It makes no sense to me, but the KSG blue food court is ten times better than the food court at Maya.

some trivia about this food court: the khao man gai/gai tod shop has been around for about 10 years and does on average 12K Bath in business each and every day. the khao ka moo shop is owned by the same lady with the large cowboy hat who runs a night take out shop near Chang Phueak and is referred to in numerous tourist guide books. she also owns the khao ka moo place in the food court in the basement of Airport Central Plaza. i believe she is a Burmese lady.

food is 100% better than in Maya or Promenada food courts. but i like the other restaurants in Promenada.

All in all, it seems that the consensus (If there ever was one on TV Chiang Mai!) is that Kad Suan Kaew is shabby but a very practical place to shop. I would agree with that. Otherwise, there is a lot of speculation about its future. Comparatively, yes, it is true that the newer malls are visually "stunning" (not my opinion, really) and "modern." If that is what you like, enjoy them. Kad Suan Kaew? It is handy for people "in the city." I think that NancyL put it well somewhere above. You can get a lot of things done. But I am not a fan of Elvis impersonators. That singer is fun about once every ten years!

A second thought!

I do not understand most claims for delicious cuisine in just about any mall! The discussion seems mostly to refect upon Dave and his enterprises plus international chain restaurants. That, when you think a little about it, is a rather limited impression of Thailand. Call it the "Condo and Mall Culture," perhaps.

Back to food! In Kad Suan Kaew, if you appreciate Thai food, go to the second floor near the chain restaurants overlooking Huay Kaew Road. There is a small Thai restaurant on the right. But, I should add, you will probably have to wait for a seat during busy hours --- and many Thais do so quite patiently because they know a good thing.

It seems that Thai food is an incidental consideration of most foodies on TV Chiang Mai. The urge seems to be to find tastes from "back home," an aspect of finding friends from the old sod with whom to chat and not really looking very much (except, too often, as a "problem") at where they are. That is understandable. Mother's milk, after all, is a lasting comforting taste! Of course, I would not be a fan of barbequed anteater ovaries, which I hear are popular among certain indigenous groups (maybe even in the hills!). But it should give one pause to reflect where one IS. After all, to have come all this distance!

Edited by Mapguy

A second thought!

I do not understand most claims for delicious cuisine in just about any mall! The discussion seems mostly to refect upon Dave and his enterprises plus international chain restaurants. That, when you think a little about it, is a rather limited impression of Thailand. Call it the "Condo and Mall Culture," perhaps.

Back to food! In Kad Suan Kaew, if you appreciate Thai food, go to the second floor near the chain restaurants overlooking Huay Kaew Road. There is a small Thai restaurant on the right. But, I should add, you will probably have to wait for a seat during busy hours --- and many Thais do so quite patiently because they know a good thing.

It seems that Thai food is an incidental consideration of most foodies on TV Chiang Mai. The urge seems to be to find tastes from "back home," an aspect of finding friends from the old sod with whom to chat and not really looking very much (except, too often, as a "problem") at where they are. That is understandable. Mother's milk, after all, is a lasting comforting taste! Of course, I would not be a fan of barbequed anteater ovaries, which I hear are popular among certain indigenous groups (maybe even in the hills!). But it should give one pause to reflect where one IS. After all, to have come all this distance!

I defiantly did not come all this distance for the food. I do like Thai food but certainly not enough to move half way around the world for it. To each his own I guess. Also while I am here I would not exactly call Central Festival a showy or glitzy place. It is a big box with lots of shops and I see on the fifth floor some already empty.

And for your information, behind the KSK buildings, out a side/back door is a very local soi with small shops, food stalls, coffee shops, etc. Strictly Thai, except for me, on occasion. Follow the soi out to the moat and Ram hospital.

And the Thai food court in KSK has brown rice on offer each day for lunch. Go healthy, go brown.

A second thought!

that small thai resturant on the second floor,is so popular with thais nearly impoosible to get a table,missus ordered take away from there recently,after 45minutes wating cancelled order.can not really understand why the not move to larger premises.

A second thought!

that small thai resturant on the second floor,is so popular with thais nearly impoosible to get a table,missus ordered take away from there recently,after 45minutes wating cancelled order.can not really understand why the not move to larger premises.

believe its been there about 10 years. very popular with Thais.