Shipping a car from Australia

tcstella

A quick search would have shown that this question has been asked many times before with the same answer, no, it isn't practical to ship a car from Australia, or anywhere else for that matter. Unless you are prepared to pay exorbitant import duties plus expensive shipping costs. Up to you.

Edited by giddyup

I thought I saw somewhere Thailand and Australia had a trade aggrement on vehicles ?

I think Australia does with Thailand but Thailand does not with Australia.

Trade agreement goes both ways. However the bulk of taxes levied on cars are not the actual import duties, but local taxesand surcharges. With importing a AUS manufactured car (and you'll need the certificate of origin to proof this) you can still expect taxes to be over 200% in total. And that is over the value that Thai customs valuates your car plus shipping at, not what it may be worth in AUS.

I thought I saw somewhere Thailand and Australia had a trade aggrement on vehicles ?

Trade agreement goes both ways. However the bulk of taxes levied on cars are not the actual import duties, but local taxesand surcharges. With importing a AUS manufactured car (and you'll need the certificate of origin to proof this) you can still expect taxes to be over 200% in total. And that is over the value that Thai customs valuates your car plus shipping at, not what it may be worth in AUS.

What is one wanted to send a ford ranger (about 30K) dollars to Australia, where they cost there over 60K dollars? That may be more viable but I'm not sure.

Yep they sure do.

Every car from TH to AU is duty free.

From AU to TH, there is only zero tarriffs for cars > 3,000cc, which means they in turn attract the maximum excise tax rate (111.1% when all added up).

However, even then, not applicable to this post as it only applies to brand new cars.

The only application of TAFTA from AU to TH that I know of, was 100 units of the Ford Territory a couple of years back.

Edited by IMHO

What is one wanted to send a ford ranger (about 30K) dollars to Australia, where they cost there over 60K dollars? That may be more viable but I'm not sure.

It won't comply with ADR.

All but impossible to do.

Why won't it comply ?

Why won't it comply ?

I don't want to offend you in any way at all and appear to be rude, but you will be unsuccessful in any attempt to import and register a TH market Ranger into Australia or NZ.

Why won't it comply ?

Because the Thai Ranger has lower specifications than Australian one's!

Why won't it comply ?

Because the Thai Ranger has lower specifications than Australian one's!

How about a honda civic?

Anyway

I don't see any problem bringing a Thai ranger to Australia...they are almost the same bad a few differences.

Even if standards are not met, the car can still be imported and modified as necessary to qualify, according to this page.

Before doing so, I'd certainly be chcking with the authorities in Australia about this.

More info here : http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/pis.aspx

Th car needs to have been owned and driven in Thailand for a minimum of 1 year.

Oh my, all you nay sayers are too much for me! I will bet (if it ever becomes legal) that if tcstella reads through the Aussie/Thai FTA he is bound to find a loophole. It's only a few hundred pages. He11, I could read it in a few hours!

Why won't it comply ?

I don't want to offend you in any way at all and appear to be rude, but you will be unsuccessful in any attempt to import and register a TH market Ranger into Australia or NZ.

Intersesting.

I know someone who has one on the water at the moment, getting an import permit was not an issue. To get it registered it obviously needs to meet certain ADR's but what would those actually be that would not allow it to be registered ?

I'll ask me friend next time I see but I am interested to know why you think it is impossible.

Why won't it comply ?

Intersesting.

I know someone who has one on the water at the moment, getting an import permit was not an issue. To get it registered it obviously needs to meet certain ADR's but what would those actually be that would not allow it to be registered ?

I'll ask me friend next time I see but I am interested to know why you think it is impossible.

Firstly, you did not disclose your friend was importing his car under the personal import option, which I now assume is the case.

Instantly, your comparison of $30,000 (actually around $35,000 if relating to the current price) versus $60,000 is blown right out of the water and the vehicle is at least a year old prior to shipping.

Secondly, let's see how much his non ADR compliant Ranger is worth in the Australian market........... Around $40,000 - $45,000 or so.

Reminds me of the saying 'It's not what you're told, rather what you're not told'

Perhaps you should have disclosed more than this:

"What is one wanted to send a ford ranger (about 30K) dollars to Australia, where they cost there over 60K dollars? That may be more viable but I'm not sure."

Why won't it comply ?

Intersesting.

Firstly, you did not disclose your friend was importing his car under the personal import option, which I now assume is the case.

Instantly, your comparison of $30,000 (actually around $35,000 if relating to the current price) versus $60,000 is blown right out of the water and the vehicle is at least a year old prior to shipping.

Secondly, let's see how much his non ADR compliant Ranger is worth in the Australian market........... Around $40,000 - $45,000 or so.

Reminds me of the saying 'It's not what you're told, rather what you're not told'

"What is one wanted to send a ford ranger (about 30K) dollars to Australia, where they cost there over 60K dollars? That may be more viable but I'm not sure."

Perhaps you should understand who has posted what. I never mentioned "What is one wanted to send a ford ranger (about 30K) dollars to Australia, where they cost there over 60K dollars? That may be more viable but I'm not sure."

If you read rather than rant you will notice I asked you why it would be impossible to do, Nice 180 degree backflip though.

But to pander your aggressive reply, I don't believe a grey import Ranger would be worth more than $25,000 AUD given it's age (it will be at minimum 12 months old) and the vast difference in actual vehicle spec between a Thai Wildtrak/Aus Wildtrak. Saying that it is not being imported to sell so the actual value of the vehicle in aus has little relevance to the discussion.

All the above though is irrelevant if this conversation happens in 6 months time as the Thai spec Wildtrak is now ANCAP rated (has been for atleast 6 months as I understand it) and shares the same Chassis and Body panels as those sold in AUS... spec level and grey import will devalue it a bit, my guess about 20% less on the same 2014 model sold secondhand.

Edited by Don Mega

Perhaps you should understand who has posted what. I never mentioned "What is one wanted to send a ford ranger (about 30K) dollars to Australia, where they cost there over 60K dollars? That may be more viable but I'm not sure."

If you read rather than rant you will notice I asked you why it would be impossible to do, Nice 180 degree backflip though.

But to pander your aggressive reply, I don't believe a grey import Ranger would be worth more than $25,000 AUD given it's age (it will be at minimum 12 months old) and the vast difference in actual vehicle spec between a Thai Wildtrak/Aus Wildtrak. Saying that it is not being imported to sell so the actual value of the vehicle in aus has little relevance to the discussion.

All the above though is irrelevant if this conversation happens in 6 months time as the Thai spec Wildtrak is now ANCAP rated (has been for atleast 6 months as I understand it) and shares the same Chassis and Body panels as those sold in AUS... spec level and grey import will devalue it a bit, my guess about 20% less on the same 2014 model sold secondhand.

My bad. I'm sorry to have mixed the posts up.

In the meantime, I shall continue to sell vehicles to my Australian customers who have plates.

My bad. I'm sorry to have mixed the posts up.

In the meantime, I shall continue to sell vehicles to my Australian customers who have plates.

Plates?

Why won't it comply ?

Intersesting.

" as the Thai spec Wildtrak is now ANCAP rated (has been for atleast 6 months as I understand it) and shares the same Chassis and Body panels as those sold in AUS... "

Do Thai Ford Ranger's have side curtain airbags? If not then they aren't 5star ANCAP!

http://www.ancap.com.au/crashtestrecord?Id=431