Starting a new religion in Thailand [visa question mostly]

I've had a root around the web regarding the process but come up empty handed.

[edit]

Oops. The process is easy but I'm talking in relation to getting a NON-R visa. Apparently it has to have been ok'd by the Thai Ministries or Government Departments concerned.

to perform missionary work or other religious activities with the concurrence of the Thai Ministries or Government Departments concerned (Category "R")

http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en/visiting-thailand/visas/types-visas-periods-stay-fees/non-immigrant-visa

This suggests to me that my new religion will need to be registered but I can't find out anything about the process, or which ministry/department. I've a couple of years before I reach 50 and tourist visas are getting harder to come by so thought I might give it a shot.

• Like 2

I assume it would be the Department of Religious Affairs as mentioned in the clause for getting an extension as a missionary.

I have a feeling this is not going to be one of those 80 Baht jobs. I also have a feeling that given the pace of things here in Thailand I would be 50 before I could even apply for a non-r visa. Still... It's not like I'm short of time to give it a go.

I am sure there would be a lot of things needed to do it.

You would first have to establish your religion and at least an office and etc.

It think it would probably be more than the 500k baht a 5 year PE visa through Thai elite costs.

You would first have to establish your religion and at least an office and etc.

Which could require me getting a NON-B first which on the face of it makes sense.

It think it would probably be more than the 500k baht a 5 year PE visa through Thai elite costs.

You reckon?

A collaborative effort might make things easier.

I quite fancy starting a new religion too. There's money to be made from the gullible, it is true, however I wouldn't want to con anyone; I would have to believe the philosophy was beneficial.... and there's the key. If it is good, you will get followers.

Someone mentioned that if your idea works, there will be people starting up religions all over the place. Not so. Your religion will recruit missionaries!

I see a whole new visa industry with you raking in the dollars for every missionary visa you get for someone.

Quite ironic, this idea of yours, considering our discussions in OTB. :). I'd love to talk more about it.

• Like 1

The title had me worried, the op cracked me up.

Did you know Jedi is an official religion?

Apparently to start a religion you need 10 thousand followers/believers.

Jedi religion has this, and is recognised.

May the force be with you.

The title had me worried, the op cracked me up.

Did you know Jedi is an official religion?

Apparently to start a religion you need 10 thousand followers/believers.

Jedi religion has this, and is recognised.

May the force be with you.

The Jedi myth. Not true, and in fact in Australia the Australian Bureau of Statistics actually toyed with the idea of prosecuting anyone who wrote Jedi on the grounds that it was making a false declaration. In NZ, the Stats dept recorded the Jedi information as "understood but ignored".

Australia does not officially recognise any religion. For tax purposes it recognises charitable organisations.......so that's where you start, by registering a charitable organisation.

• Like 1

If you do start a new religion, make sure that you choose an unused day for your religious holiday! That way I could become your follower on that day if I didn't want to work. I've been switching back and forth every week between different religions for years!

• Like 1

You are definitely not yourself OP You stated that you are a KUFFAR MEMBER (Definition of Kuffar by the free dictionary,,,, IS,,,NON BELIEVERS,,,)

Kuffar is specific to Islam so a Christian, Hindu etc. is also a kuffar.

It is self evident that I would not have to show that my new religion is in any way true nor prove that I believe in it.

In any case the entire project is for the reason of getting a NON-R visa.

• 4 weeks later...