To lock or not to lock

Anthony5

If a thief gets over your 6ft wall, he will have all the time in the world to break/enter into your house as no-one will see him. If he sets your alarm off will anybody really take any notice or even bother? Get a Thai Ridgeback.

The ex criminals they employ in the UK to advise on anti-burglary say never to have a high hedge or wall as it is too easy to hide behind. They also advocate prickly / thorny bushes near windows. Plenty of open space, light and good locks.

As vogie says, what good are alarms if people ignore them?

I'll add to that, here in Thailand, how long before the local police respond to your alarm or to a report of it going off - if they ever do respond.

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a thief gets over your 6ft wall, he will have all the time in the world to break/enter into your house as no-one will see him. If he sets your alarm off will anybody really take any notice or even bother? Get a Thai Ridgeback.

The ex criminals they employ in the UK to advise on anti-burglary say never to have a high hedge or wall as it is too easy to hide behind. They also advocate prickly / thorny bushes near windows. Plenty of open space, light and good locks.

As vogie says, what good are alarms if people ignore them?

I'll add to that, here in Thailand, how long before the local police respond to your alarm or to a report of it going off - if they ever do respond.

"never to have a high hedge or wall as it is too easy to hide behind." ... I've heard that advice also.

Logic seems sound.

Also the "They also advocate prickly / thorny bushes near windows" seems smart also.

I can just imagine the conversation in the Thai neighbourhood.

Hey, the alarm is going off @ the Farangs House ... should we call the Police?

No, Pee ... he is Rich ... can buy again easy ... rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Spend all that money on security and neglect the basic cheap option of a set of decent deadlocks or padlocks. Rather a shortsighted policy to my mind.

Who said I don't have deadlocks? All my doors and windows have multi-lock system with deadbolt locks. If they have to force one door open, or break one of the insulated 2.5 x 1 meter glass panels, it cost me same as one of the flatscreens inside the house.

Getting over the 2 meter wall to get inside is one thing, and they will not be able without triggering the alarm, getting away with a 60" 70kg plasma is another thing because the only way is over that 2 meter wall again, as they will be unable to open the gate even from inside.

I have such a feeling though that they will never try to steal one of the doors or windows.

And no I don't fear a burglary, as another poster suggested, I have the security system as a prevention, and only try to figure out what will be the most economic for me in the event that they come over the wall.

Will the locked doors buy me time, and eventual see the burglars leave, or will the locked doors just be a cause of extra damage.

Get yourself a couple of large dogs...continue to leave your doors unlocked...hire someone to cleanup the blood and feces the would be criminal will leave behind...

Edited by ggt
  • Like 1

It is a good question to Lock or not to Lock....

Good friend of mine she always went around and locked all the doors and windows, I DO MEAN ALL even the build in wardrobes in all 3 bedrooms had locks, and took all the keys with her and set the Alarm when she went out..

Yes a robber got in, the back door was kicked in, the alarm was cut, and every door in the house was kicked in, it did cost her a lot of money replacing them all...... at the end of the day took a few odd cheap nick knacks, she never had more jewelry than she wore, never left cash in the house... the robber/s did not take the 2 TV's so must have been looking for small items

The house next door was to far away so they did not hear anything, but they were also robbed while they were outside by the Pool, handbags and men trousers with money and creditcards taken, and all 4 UK Passports...

Myself never lock the doors, any strange come by they would have my 9 dogs to silence

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments so far, however I think we overlook some facts.

This is not a property in an average Thai village, where you may stumble in by mistake, because the perimeter wall is 50 cm high or no wall at all.

The property is surrounded by a 2 meter high perimeter wall and locked gate, you need to do some real effort to get on the land.

So it is either a planned attempt, or it may be an opportunist. The latter will run as soon as he triggers the alarm that protects the perimeter wall, in my opinion.

The former will proceed, and is actually at that point protected from view by the wall and gate.

So to enter the house he will have to break in, thereby causing damage. I don't believe that he will be discouraged by a closed door, especially since there are glass doors all over the property.

I didn't know you could get a theft insurance for personal belongings in Thailand.

Locking keeps out petty thieves. Nothing keeps out the professionals. Lock anyway.

• Like 1

Spend all that money on security and neglect the basic cheap option of a set of decent deadlocks or padlocks. Rather a shortsighted policy to my mind.

Who said I don't have deadlocks? All my doors and windows have multi-lock system with deadbolt locks. If they have to force one door open, or break one of the insulated 2.5 x 1 meter glass panels, it cost me same as one of the flatscreens inside the house.

Getting over the 2 meter wall to get inside is one thing, and they will not be able without triggering the alarm, getting away with a 60" 70kg plasma is another thing because the only way is over that 2 meter wall again, as they will be unable to open the gate even from inside.

I have such a feeling though that they will never try to steal one of the doors or windows.

And no I don't fear a burglary, as another poster suggested, I have the security system as a prevention, and only try to figure out what will be the most economic for me in the event that they come over the wall.

Will the locked doors buy me time, and eventual see the burglars leave, or will the locked doors just be a cause of extra damage.

So where do you live (exactly) and when do you go to work? biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png

• Like 1

Your outer wall and gate are your first line of security. Locking your doors and windows would be your second, unless you have pressure pads or guard animals on the approaches to the house which you haven't mentioned.

You seem quite happy with your alarm system, hope it was installed properly. I have seen some systems disabled by simply stopping the power source to them! That's true but not in Thailand.

Going a step further, yes, lock your doors and install dead bolts. Also, reinforce your roof as this is a preferred entry method. The dead bolts just make it harder if they come through the roof and they want an easy exit with the large items, like your bed, wardrobes, bath, etc.

IMHO, there should be no reason to make anything easy for them especially if you are gone for an extended period. A broken window or door lock will likely be the least of your worries when you come back to nothing..............wink.png

• Like 1

My GF's aunts has made the 'trust' decision to not lock her place and, I'm happy to report, has not suffered a theft recently.

LRDSCF6399_zps563a8757.jpg

Yes ... that is actually her place!

Hm I dunno that roof steel looks tempting!!

• Like 1

I am in your camp. Although I always close up the house when I leave I never lock my doors. Don't even know where the keys are. I also feel that the damage done by a determined thief will be in addition to anything I lose. However I live in a large housing development with guards on the gates, you need a rfid card to open the gate, the guards check and record strangers in and out, there are working cctv cameras at every major intersection and wandering vendors are not allowed. But I am not totally stupid. My most precious valuables and spare cash are in a secret place which is not a safe or the freezer compartment of my fridge. I have a small empty safe in a not to obvious place that can be pried up and carried away by a reasonably diligent burglar. All he will get is a sarcastic note. And a totally infected laptop. I also live next door to the local cop, the rent a cop check in station is on the pole in front of my house and they come by every two hours. I figure any thief will have to be very determined and either very smart or incredibly stupid.

But I must say that when I lived 'outside' I had bars on the doors and windows and I locked up every time. Always people in the guise of vendors wandering around checking out the farang houses and teenagers would have drunken parties in my front yard which was next to the beach.

The goods in your house comprise tangible assets which can be replaced at a cost and, more importantly, the intangibles like the software and files stored on your computer and the sentimental value of jewelry, furnishings and personal effects. There are many possessions that are irreplaceable so you should do all that you possibly can to protect them.

This is not a property in an average Thai village, where you may stumble in by mistake, because the perimeter wall is 50 cm high or no wall at all.

The property is surrounded by a 2 meter high perimeter wall and locked gate, you need to do some real effort to get on the land.

So it is either a planned attempt, or it may be an opportunist. The latter will run as soon as he triggers the alarm that protects the perimeter wall, in my opinion.

The former will proceed, and is actually at that point protected from view by the wall and gate.

So to enter the house he will have to break in, thereby causing damage. I don't believe that he will be discouraged by a closed door, especially since there are glass doors all over the property.

I didn't know you could get a theft insurance for personal belongings in Thailand.

Why did you bother to ask, when you already know the answer - at least for yourself? coffee1.gif

I live in a large village, 4 kilometres from a major town in north eastern Thailand. I am surrounded on one side by a river, a forest and then a number of homes. My block is a battle axe and the only side not fenced is that fronting the forest and river. There is a driveway between two homes and my property is secured by a 2 metre high lockable gate.

No alarm or insurance and I never lock the house, as I have a very good deterrent, a fully trained German Shepherd. Get yourself a good dog, as a barking dog is a far better deterrent then any alarm system and statistics have proven that thieves, rather then causing the dog to bark and draw attention to themselves, will leave and look for an easier target.

Why did you bother to ask, when you already know the answer - at least for yourself? coffee1.gif

Why did you bother to reply, when you knew already that you didn't have anything useful to add - at least for other readers coffee1.gif

Edited by Anthony5

Anthony5 post # 47

Why did you bother to reply, when you knew already that you didn't have anything useful to add - at least for other readers coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

Perhaps it should read thus.

Anthony 5. Why did you bother to post when you knew already that you didn't have anything useful to post - at least for other readers coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

Anthony5 post # 47

Why did you bother to reply, when you knew already that you didn't have anything useful to add - at least for other readers coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

Perhaps it should read thus.

Anthony 5. Why did you bother to post when you knew already that you didn't have anything useful to post - at least for other readers coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

You have proven that already how much you have to add with your post #29, thanks for reminding us once again.

Anthony5 post # 49

You have proven that already how much you have to add with your post #29, thanks for reminding us once again.

Perhaps you might do well to review the content of your posting history before posting inane comments concerning others, that also would include the topics you have started.

Sanctimonious is the word that springs to mind concerning the content of many of your posts and your topics.

''Sanctimonious.''

making a show of being morally superior to other people.
synonyms: self-righteous, holier-than-thou, pious, pietistic, churchy, moralizing,preachy, smug, superior, priggish, hypocritical, insincere;
informal goody-goody
"no one wants to hear your sanctimonious hot air"
Edited by siampolee

Anthony5 post # 49

Perhaps you might do well to review the content of your posting history before posting inane comments concerning others, that also would include the topics you have started.

Sanctimonious is the word that springs to mind concerning the content of many of your posts and your topics.

''Sanctimonious.''

making a show of being morally superior to other people.
synonyms: self-righteous, holier-than-thou, pious, pietistic, churchy, moralizing,preachy, smug, superior, priggish, hypocritical, insincere;
informal goody-goody
"no one wants to hear your sanctimonious hot air"

Well, after all it must be a very interesting thread, since this is your third reply already.

Keep yourself busy going through other members profile, and don't worry about my posting history, just keep in mind that you have one as well for everyone to view.

Why did you bother to reply, when you knew already that you didn't have anything useful to add - at least for other readers coffee1.gif

Because... (you can choose)

- I had nothing else to do...

- I am wondering why people ask questions when they already have their answer

- i can show people it is not worth putting thoughts to your question, as you have already made up your mind

• Like 1

You can't stop them getting in.

The best you can hope for is to have an early warning system (sensors, preasure pads etc) that will notify you when they are tripped and someone (security if you live in a moo bahn or a friendly neighbour) can be sent to intercept them before they get in or take anything.

The best you can hope for is to have an early warning system (sensors, preasure pads etc) that will notify you when they are tripped and someone (security if you live in a moo bahn or a friendly neighbour) can be sent to intercept them before they get in or take anything.

Sure you can stop them from getting in. A couple of dogs and good bars on the doors and windows. Just how much equipment do you think the average snatch and grab burglar is going to carry? Put your cash and valuables in a 600 pound safe and laugh as one guy gets a hernia trying to lift it on a motor scooter.

Sure you can stop them from getting in. A couple of dogs and good bars on the doors and windows. Just how much equipment do you think the average snatch and grab burglar is going to carry? Put your cash and valuables in a 600 pound safe and laugh as one guy gets a hernia trying to lift it on a motor scooter.

If someone really wants to get into your house they will.

They can poison the dogs (actually they don't have to even do that, most dogs are all bark and no bite unless you have trained guard dogs) and they can bypass the bars and go through the roof.

Lock. That way a less determined thief this will may just move on to the next sap house that is not locked up.

[

/quote]

Agree, make it as hard as possible, not to mention the extra time it will take to force entry - but that might not matter unless the Thai Police believe there is money available to change hands.

Good point there teatree ..

There are indeed a lot of break and enter merchants who do make entry through the roof and indeed in a number of cases the loot is also carried out of the property through the roof.

A determined thief will effect an entry or even worse lie in wait and the victim or a family member may well be used as a hostage.

They can poison the dogs (actually they don't have to even do that, most dogs are all bark and no bite unless you have trained guard dogs) and they can bypass the bars and go through the roof.

I asked the poignant question before, how much equipment do you think the average snatch and grab burglar is going to carry? Ladders and cutting tools and the whole village watching you break into my roof while all the dogs in the soi are barking? As far as dogs not biting I won't go there. Like I said above. Get good bars, a couple of dogs, a big safe (not very expensive) and picture trying to haul a 600 pound safe through the roof as the dogs bark and the soi is all out front watching.

post-187908-0-23495300-1414640899_thumb.

I asked the poignant question before, how much equipment do you think the average snatch and grab burglar is going to carry? Ladders and cutting tools and the whole village watching you break into my roof while all the dogs in the soi are barking? As far as dogs not biting I won't go there. Like I said above. Get good bars, a couple of dogs, a big safe (not very expensive) and picture trying to haul a 600 pound safe through the roof as the dogs bark and the soi is all out front watching.

I wasn't talking about an opportunist, I was talking about a pro burglar. Sure, if you have some dogs and bars you can stop an opportunist.

My point was that if a pro really wants to get in they will find a way no matter how many bars you put up.

Making it difficult to take stuff out of your house once they get in is another matter altogether.