Thai marriage scam probe finds most foreigners used fake names

webfact

From what I have read, it seems clear that an Immigration officer was on the take and letting people get extensions even though they were not showing or giving genuine documents. I would not be surprised that this hullabaloo was started when another Immigration officer wanted a spice of the money and was told to <deleted>, so they reported it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have read, it seems clear that an Immigration officer was on the take and letting people get extensions even though they were not showing or giving genuine documents. I would not be surprised that this hullabaloo was started when another Immigration officer wanted a spice of the money and was told to <deleted>, so they reported it.

Well its definitely clear that an immigration official was on the take but the curious thing is that the story doesn't concentrate on the real issue of the corruption involved but on the issue that allegedly falang have been using fake names, if thats whats happened. All thats certain is that someone was getting an earn out of it.

Living in Udon and being married to a Thai I find the marriage extension thing just way too many hoops to jump through. Can't speak for others experiences but I find it easier just to go to Savannakhet every year for a multiple entry visa. Even then obviously I need to show the wife's housebook , ID, my passport and they always ask for the original of our marriage certificate and Savannakhet is renown for being "easy". If I,wanted to get the extension of stay, after I get my single entry I need to show my letter of residence or housebook, all the above Id's again my bank book with the appropriate seasoned amount in it, then all the other hoops to be jumped through. Pictures of me and the wife in the bedroom (not joking), outside, in front of the house, provide a hand drawn map, then the police come round and only then you can start the joy of the 90 day reporting process and if you want to leave you get to pay for your re-entry permits as well. <deleted> all that for a laugh. So it's either a dodgy farang who has somehow managed to get a visa, bank book, passport etc etc all in a fake name or its someone in immigration who is making a fortune just providing bodgy names and these so mystery fake named falang just don't exist at all. Hmmmm I wonder which could it be???

I think the same as you. It is too much hassle to go through the process of getting all the documents that they require, year after year even though your situation has not changed. i.e. wife, house, money or location, it is total retardation. So I now go to Savannakhet as it is less of a ball ache apart that for me I have to travel across country. I try to make a mini-holiday out of the whole experience and enjoy it.

"The Immigration Police Command 4 (Nakhon Ratchasima) that initially probed the case has urged their Udon Thani-based counterparts to check any foreigners who may be involved."

So how will that work then?

They have no idea who was involved because false names were used.

Will they just hassle every foreigner on the grounds they are foreign and therefore may be involved?

That should be fun.

The ''MOST foreigners are using fake names'' is a big give away.

It is highly unlikely that the majority of foreigners here are on fake documents.

I think thats what theyre trying to do.

Make up a fraud problem and obviously come up with 'the solution' ie more Farangs harassment

Edited by BangkokKen

I suspect it is just a one off type of thing, that gets the foreigner some papers good enough to get out of his country and into Thailand. After that, they don't do much formal reporting but were expecting and hoping they could pass a cursory check if ever stopped or queried. Then they go to ground or work on other means of staying in the country

The ''MOST foreigners are using fake names'' is a big give away.

It is highly unlikely that the majority of foreigners here are on fake documents.

I think thats what theyre trying to do.

Make up a fraud problem and obviously come up with 'the solution' ie more Farangs harassment

Most foreigners involved in Nong Bua Lamphu's fake marriage scam used fake names. How does that equate to most foreigners in Thailand? They're not all out to get us, you know. smile.png

With all these BS and sick buffaloes here in this country, yet folks from paradise are yearning to come and settle here.

WHY?

Obviously their paradise has to be a living hell?

Is there no other better country? To say the least, a pathetic situation.

DOH!

If your message was directed to me, my reply is that I have nothing against stricter rules concerning residence visas or tourist visas and has a total understanding of that the country need a database of those who live here. From there to bombard the locals with news about foreigners overstaying, use fake names to marry etc., on a daily basis, and in a very broad and generalized way, is like "the wave" and can make a huge amount of the population think that all foreigners are, yes simply bad people, which will over time have a huge impact on us who sit and write on this forum today and few will probably feel at home in the long run.

My post was not directed at anyone. Sorry, if it made you feel that way. But reading the majority of posts on TVF, supposedly by long staying foreigners, it's amazing why anyone wants to even come here, let alone settle down!