TAT urged to put focus on quality tourists to boost revenue

webfact

beatdeadhorse.gif it's the same old story with no idea how to achieve it. You could write a book on all the issues that need to be covered and yet write all the benefits on the back of a postage stamp. Until Thailand's greed levels are significantly reduced the only thing that will be achievable is a continuing decline in tourists. This is not rocket science however I doubt many could score well on any IQ test.

I think that tourist would still come even with all the issues and problems if martial law is lifted, less, but much better than this. A friend in Europe that manages a travel agency franchise tells me they don't dare to promote trips to Thailand without insurance coverage, and that is not possible with martial law. Thailand has girls/boys but especially sells the illusion of being desired, and will always be a strong selling point (not with "quality tourists" tho)

See the solution is very simple, but they don't want to hear that, so instead they have to look for any other story they can find, no matter how absurd and ridicolous.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

northeastern region to listen to local authorities about problems they face in the promotion of tourist attractions in their respective areas

What tourist attractions ? Dinosaurs and Central shopping centres?

there are some good ones that are not in bars ,just Travel around , its stupid to say there are no tourists attractions ,get book ,visit some national parks ,standing stones ,wall paintings ,all well looked after by the government ,lot more to Thailand than Miss Pattaya ,if you look

anything I cannot find somewhere else I don't have to fly 12,000 km to go to, where I also get good service and no scams and xenophobia?

Well I guess Greece should be shutting down their islands, they surely cannot compete with Phuket. No way for the untouched majestic beauty of the Alpes when you have exploited bald Thai hills...

Edited by Nakajima

Wealthy foreigners have been waiting in the wings for this invitation to come and spend their hard earned money in in the dust bowls of Isaan and have their wives and daughters gang raped and murdered by local mafiosi followed by obvious police cover-up operations. Go for it.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

northeastern region to listen to local authorities about problems they face in the promotion of tourist attractions in their respective areas

no no we have lots of temples too up here.

It was not too long ago that the head of TAT(now the former head)I think his name was Einstein was yearning to get high spending farang cyclists to come to Thailand.He stated that these high end tourists spent around B30,000.00 per day and even brought their own medical and support teams....turns out he was referring to the Tour de France pelaton!

• Like 1

What I see is White Trash who seem to think they are the masters of the universe and have a given privilege to mess up a beautiful country.

so why Thai begs "the masters" (you called them that) to come here?

Go ahead, stop all tourist visas and show'em you can do without them! Damn right! Put your money where your mouth is.

BTW Thai are very good.... at messing up their country, need no help from anybody.

Want quality tourists? OFFER A QUALITY DESTINATION! One free of taxi and jet-ski scams, one free of rapes and murders, one free of racist pricing schemes. It's like a nation of narcissists that have no clue that other people have an equal point of view.

• Like 1

Last thing I heard is that you have to take an IQ test before you're allowed to board a plane heading to Bangkok.

cheesy.gif i wonder what a Thai IQ test would consist of ?

Who knows what the test would be. But I would think a score of 1 along with much money would still get you in! After all, it is your money they want NOT intellect! whistling.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

no no we have lots of temples too up here.

Oh yeah.. Go see another temple. Honestly, after you've seen five, there is nothing special anymore. No interesting architecture, just rows of meditating buddha or monk statutes. It's not impressive after you've seen a few as you realize that there is no imagination in building these temples. ANd half the temples have mangy dogs walking the grounds.

I agree with the above comment that "quality" isn't referring to rich by 1st world standards folks, but middle and upper-middle-class tourists. They spend more than the backpackers, digital nomads, retired folks, and expats, and they're more easily pleased, less fussy, and more gullible thus more exploitable financially than most of the people in the other groups. Mom and Dad with sun hats, high white socks, and sunburn, juniors and little princesses gathered around their legs, standing on a Bangkok corner earnestly consulting a map. Ripe for the picking. Perfect.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Want quality tourists? OFFER A QUALITY DESTINATION! One free of taxi and jet-ski scams, one free of rapes and murders, one free of racist pricing schemes. It's like a nation of narcissists that have no clue that other people have an equal point of view.

And you forgot CLEAN with no garbage on the sides of the roads and well-manicured roadsides. It should be pretty upon arrival

stop all the noise then

loads of renters for the high season in Jomtien all the way down to Bang Saray

so what happens

everyone and there dog turns up there sound systems to attract a few punters

quality

me thinks not

then you have buses and pickups with speakers in the outside of the vehicle

the volume is window wobbling noise - not necessary

again this attracts quality tourists - NOT

• Like 1

Last thing I heard is that you have to take an IQ test before you're allowed to board a plane heading to Bangkok.

cheesy.gif i wonder what a Thai IQ test would consist of ?

Thai IQ test (100 Points).

Please choose one of the following answers:

Q1. How are you?

A. I'm fine.

B. I'm fine.

C. I'm fine.

D. All of the above.

End of test. giggle.gif

Oh Ajarn it seems very difficult.

How much does it cost to get an A ?

Don't worry! In-flight tutorinf services will be available for a nominal fee which will ensure you a passing grade

Someone should explain that quality tourists are like good jobs. You EARN them! You gotta' WORK for it, SHOW results, and DEMONSTRATE - not on a single good day, but continuously and reliably - that you're worth it. WRT tourism, you do that with things like equal legal protections for foreigners, and vigorous prosecution of crimes against foreigners, and a single-pricing system that doesn't discriminate against foreigners, and the absence of common scams perpetrated against foreigners, and honest, helpful, police, and non-xenophobic attitudes, and simple, straightforward, CONSISTENT immigration policies, and competitive pricing... It's a great ambition - to want "quality tourists" - but it won't happen just because someone says "make it so".

More TAT crap.

If they want 'highend tourists' they will need more than wishful thinking here,.

They have for decades left it up to the thai entrepreneur to build their own hotels, resorts and a large part of the transport system to facilitate tourists.(no safety checks).

Now they will need a safe highspeed train service, North and South, safe bus service , mini buses only to be used locally to transport around a town, so cannot drive at dangerous high speeds.

Safety margins will have to improve 1000 % , ie: as for wiring in most resorts and hotels, up to atleast EU standard.

A curfew on young Thais who are students and or gang members.

The irradication of the immense drug problem the Country has and ofcourse the associated crimes by young thais ,like bag snatching , gold necklace , and theft in general.

The list goes on, so a review around about 2020, and then talk about it.

Well to attrack more "quality tourists" means tourists spending more money in this country need QUALITIY has to offered! But there is a big big lack of Quality in any case in this country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So for spend much money for beaches better go to the Carrebian , Australia or any other place.

The nature Thailand has to offer is presented mostly in unseless and unorganized National Parks without any interesting activities to offer..

So what they want????

How does one put a focus on quality tourists ? Quality is in the eye of the beholder. Quality is value for money ..... a millionaire may think his hi-so (eg RR) car is value for the money he spent on it, It serves his purposes. Whereas our man in the street may think his not so-low car (eg Honda Civic) is value for money because it services his purpose for the money he spent on it.

To my mind TATs view of a quality tourist is one that on their Arrivals card checks the box for Yearly Income as being "$80,001 or above", (if not they can come in as a massive group tour), can be parted with the contents of his wallet, dresses respectfully, maintains a hygenic and healthy aspect, knows and respects the culture and sensitives of Thais. They also should hold no internal political allegiances, not fall ill during their stay, not frequent with Thai pooying, have a sober attitude. Additionally they should not decide to stay longer or buy property, and go home once their money is depleted. If they are from Mainland China, India, Pakistan, or the Middle East none of this applies.

How is TAT going to "profile" tourists to ensure they are of the required quality standard ? Give Embassy's and Consulates guidelines on what specifications the quality tourist must pass to be allowed to enter the Kingdom. Similar guidelines are given to travel agents. OR, are tourists lined up and inspected at the airport. Answering a questionnaire of course.

If you are wearing a tank top singlet and shorts, stubble on your face, wearing flip-flops, little baggage, less than 100,000 baht in your pocket, and answer with a "yes but only socially", for the do you drink question ? ... your will be immediately rejected.

I'm depressed. I'm going down to Soi 6, get drunk and bury my face somewhere.

• Like 1