British stars speak out against dog-meat trade's cruelty: Thailand

webfact

TV never fails to amaze. A group of individuals, some of them well known, voice their concern over the inhumane treatment of stray dogs in Thailand. And for that they are rounded on and criticized?

Some of the comments made on here are clearly from the deranged.

• Like 2

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, with all the problems in the world celebs get together to help with this???? Hardly Bob Geldof's live aid is it, could think of thousands of things that need the media attention more than this.

Thats right Jeremy, cos Ebola is never talked about is it? Or the fact Islamic lunatics are beheading innocent people in the name of their god. Oh hang on, we never hear of the Ukraine airplane anymore do we, or the one went in to the ocean, presumably.

So <deleted> has other problems around the globe to do with the fact dogs, soi or not, are being treated with huge cruelty in a land that supposedly doesn't eat their meat and is also strongly Buddhist?

I stand corrected, this is absolutely the best use of celebrity status possible. How blind of me not to see it the first time, thanks.

Edited by JeremyBowskill

Thailand has a massive dog problem and this is just one symptom.

As far as I'm aware there are STILL no laws covering animal cruelty or welfare and Thailand has been appallingly tardy in dealing with the problem.

I'm sorry to say that I have absolutely no respect for those misguided people who think they are being kind or earning merit by feeding dogs.

bruceybonus, on 30 Oct 2014 - 07:00, said:
Bluespunk, on 30 Oct 2014 - 06:50, said:
Puyai, on 30 Oct 2014 - 06:12, said:

If they lived in a soi with 30+ soi dogs they'd be singing a different tune.

Yes, they are a menace and need controlling somehow.

However, it's the way the animals are treated, the excessive cruelty, that is the issue.

There are ways of doing things that do not involve the foul way these animals are treated.

There needs to be a nationwide culling of the dogs and then a system put in place where stray dogs are taken off the streets. However, much like the West, people need to be held personally responsible for looking after their dogs.

Most dogs that go into rescues in USA/UK end up being euthanised anyway!

Battersea and many other UK dog rescue centres NEVER euthanize a healthy animal.

People are the problem, soi dogs are only trying to survive.

Last year a third of all dogs taken in by Battersea Dogs & Cats Home were put down, BBC One's Panorama can exclusively reveal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2010/08_august/02/panorama.shtml

RSPCA destroys HALF of the animals that it rescues - yet thousands are completely healthy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2254729/RSPCA-destroys-HALF-animals-rescues--thousands-completely-healthy.html

She forgot to mention that they torture the dogs before fillet them so the meat tastes sweeter.

Only a moron or sadist would do that because the adrenaline makes the meat inedible. The same as deer and boar that that are hunted with dogs; the meat is inedible. Trapping, deer stands, boar trails can be used to gather quality, tasty game. Where I grew up in the country, hunters stopped using dogs except to flush out game birds or point out trees with squirrels and raccoons in them. I grew up lower middle-class in the country and we supplemented our larder with wild game. I have friends in Isaan that eat large ants, grubs, toads, and almost anything that moves. When you are poor, protein is protein and one can't afford to be choosy.

• Like 1

There is a massive dog problem, and I think a humane cull nationwide would be a good thing. Not so sure about sending them up north for eating, but really the dog problem is bad and it is a health and safety issue.

Mai pen rai, seems to come to mind!

Unfortunately, it is the pervasive answer in Thailand for many "wrongs".

If they lived in a soi with 30+ soi dogs they'd be singing a different tune.

Yes, they are a menace and need controlling somehow.

However, it's the way the animals are treated, the excessive cruelty, that is the issue.

There are ways of doing things that do not involve the foul way these animals are treated.

And of course, pigs, cattle and chickens are treated like gods before we eat them. Do any of these British stars eat meat?

I agree, the way animals are rendered for food can be cruel and cause them a great deal of suffering.

I also think that's wrong.

Is there such a thing as cruelty free meat?

....well, now that is a question.

One I'm not going to answer either.

The problem is not the dogs its the "owners" or rather the fact that nobody will take responsibility for owning many of them.

Many dogs that are left to live on the street are (relatively) well fed and even have injections. There are Thai vets that will go out and inoculate them and sterilize them; and often you will see a soi dog with a collar; this is to stop them being taken away as strays by the local authorities. But although they live outside somebodies house as a "guard dog", usually nobody will actually take responsibility for housing them, grooming them, stopping their fighting, barking, or cleaning up their mess, etc.

In a way, even worse than neglect, is the local practice of locking small (and big) dogs in cages and leaving them all day in the heat whilst the owners go out.

It is way past time that all the cruel practices are done away with and every dog has to have a license; with heavy penalties for cruelty.

People who complain about the amount of dogs in their soi should help pay for them to be neutered or humanely put to sleep and help clean up their Sois rather than just sit on the bar stool and moan about it put your money where your mouth is [ I doubt it very much ] Most dogs that go into rescues in USA/UK end up being euthanized anyway I doubt this very much all my dogs that I have in the UK come from shelters and all the ones I donate money to do not put down heathy animals, not sure about the USA possibly a country full of greedy people so just put their dogs down, but defiantly not happening in the UK we put our money where our mouths are.

Pay whom? Labour is cheap in Thailand, so I suspect many people who are bothered by snarling and potentially dangerous soi dogs would gladly pay an agency or a company a reasonable fee to have them humanely removed.

Please advise us further about this, so we can contact the people who provide this service, or you may be accused of sitting on a bar stool and unreasonably moaning about people who complain about soi dogs.

BTW, I guess your "bar stool" comment was to compromise the character of some people. If you don't like soi dogs then you must be some some degenerate alcoholic who spends the day in bar. Cheap shots at people don't make your opinion any stronger.

Edited by waynethor
  • Like 1

"Many of them are stolen pets," explains Gervais

2000% BS.

It's a pet just because you put a collar on it but allow it to roam free on public land shitting & pissing all over the place that never gets cleaned up. Collared 'pet' dogs running out into traffic causing accidents often resulting in injuries to humans. These 'pets-on-the-loose' barking and chasing you as you pass them on your bicycle or while walking your own leashed dog. These nuisance dogs that someone will come out to defend if you dare take a swipe at it with a stick while it's snapping at your ankle.

It is not a pet unless it is kept properly on private land and allowed onto public land only when properly supervised and leashed. Any dog free-roaming the street, collared or not is only one thing a BLOODY MENACE.

Look after your dog properly and its chance of being stolen for the meat trade is almost zero.

• Like 1

People who complain about the amount of dogs in their soi should help pay for them to be neutered or humanely put to sleep and help clean up their Sois rather than just sit on the bar stool and moan about it put your money where your mouth is [ I doubt it very much ] Most dogs that go into rescues in USA/UK end up being euthanized anyway I doubt this very much all my dogs that I have in the UK come from shelters and all the ones I donate money to do not put down heathy animals, not sure about the USA possibly a country full of greedy people so just put their dogs down, but defiantly not happening in the UK we put our money where our mouths are.

Pay whom? Labour is cheap in Thailand, so I suspect many people who are bothered by snarling and potentially dangerous soi dogs would gladly pay an agency or a company a reasonable fee to have them humanely removed.

Please advise us further about this, so we can contact the people who provide this service, or you may be accused of sitting on a bar stool and unreasonably moaning about people who complain about soi dogs.

BTW, I guess your "bar stool" comment was to compromise the character of some people. If you don't like soi dogs then you must be some some degenerate alcoholic who spends the day in bar. Cheap shots at people don't make your opinion any stronger.

Isn't the fact that dogs are not "put down" here, as they are in some other countries, something to do with Buddhist beliefs?

This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read!! Another example of the West trying to impose its values and norms on the world. Thailand is a Buddhist country. Therefore it would be bad Karma to cull all the street dogs. Most street dogs are fed on a daily basis by local people. Many of the dogs are also given names too... Ricky Gervais and the other C list celebrities in this video are just doing something to feel good about about themselves and for PR. They don't give a shit about some decrepit street dog in the middle of Northeastern Thailand. Have they even been here to to Asia???.Ridiculous...

• Like 1

Isn't the fact that dogs are not "put down" here, as they are in some other countries, something to do with Buddhist beliefs?

Also. someone with a knowledge of Buddhism might help with this one. If it is ok to breed/raise for the purpose of, and slaughter,

a pig, cow, or chicken specifically for human consumption - then why not a dog also?!

Maybe our western sensibilites get in the way here?

There also needs to be a concerted effort made to go around to villages and de-sex dogs free of charge.

That's the case in Bangkok. You can bring any soi dog to the designated places by the metropolitan authority and have this done free of charge!

Soi dogs are indeed a major problem in a lot of areas. So catching and selling them for dog meat is an idea that should be encouraged.

Actually they can eat the five little dogs next door ,at least it would stop the little shits barking all day ,then they can have the dog in the next soi ,that howls all day when they go to work until they return at night

hmm, the usual - our set of values in the West are superior to your set of values in the East. Why doesn't she speak up about the cruel treatment of cows or pigs or chickens in Britain? But then it's ok to raise those animals in mass inhumane farms, kill them and eat those animals, but just not dogs......

There is no point replying to posters like you who so totally miss the point.

Seriously, with all the problems in the world celebs get together to help with this???? Hardly Bob Geldof's live aid is it, could think of thousands of things that need the media attention more than this.

Thats right Jeremy, cos Ebola is never talked about is it? Or the fact Islamic lunatics are beheading innocent people in the name of their god. Oh hang on, we never hear of the Ukraine airplane anymore do we, or the one went in to the ocean, presumably.

So <deleted> has other problems around the globe to do with the fact dogs, soi or not, are being treated with huge cruelty in a land that supposedly doesn't eat their meat and is also strongly Buddhist?

I stand corrected, this is absolutely the best use of celebrity status possible. How blind of me not to see it the first time, thanks.

How would you explain a cage full of dogs about to be clubbed to death to your little daughter?

The facts being given to the UK public are not correct.

Very very few 'pet' dogs end up on the dinner table.

Most are reared on dog farms just like other animals we consume.

I like to see my chickens running free range in my garden, but I don't campaign against battery farming in UK.

People should not interfere with what is the norm in other countries.

In Vietnam especially it is traditional to eat dog meat, had it many time myself and it tastes good; I see nothing wrong with eating dog meat.

Thai vets in my experience will not put down injured animals because of Buddhism. Doesn't seem to matter if the animal suffers pain or incredible inconvenience.

Who cares and what the hell is Downtown Abbey?

Would anyone in Britain care if Nok Noi and Thongchai Mcintyre made a video about the treatment of rabbitsin the UK?

Good questions, as usual.

Make you wonder who is organizing something like this and for what reason?

More dogs eaten in Vietnam, China and South Korea. The latter very cruel.

The Japs are killing Whales again.

Game birds are bred and reared to be blasted out the sky in the UK. Deer are hunted in Scotland. Poaching going on all over the world, rhino and elephant slaughter in Africa etc etc.

Seems like someone or some group might be trying to keep Thailand under scrutiny for all the wrong reasons at the moment, cause as much trouble as possible for them. Paint them as the worst when they're not.

She forgot to mention that they torture the dogs before fillet them so the meat tastes sweeter.

Only a moron or sadist would do that because the adrenaline makes the meat inedible. The same as deer and boar that that are hunted with dogs; the meat is inedible. Trapping, deer stands, boar trails can be used to gather quality, tasty game. Where I grew up in the country, hunters stopped using dogs except to flush out game birds or point out trees with squirrels and raccoons in them. I grew up lower middle-class in the country and we supplemented our larder with wild game. I have friends in Isaan that eat large ants, grubs, toads, and almost anything that moves. When you are poor, protein is protein and one can't afford to be choosy.

Getting confused with eating snakes.

When I was in Vietnam and we eat snake, they hit the cobra with bamboo sticks because they believe if the adrenalin is flowing then there is more taste in the meat when the snake is slaughtered