British stars speak out against dog-meat trade's cruelty: Thailand

webfact

SPOCK.

No most likely I would not show pictures of dogs in a cage, neither would I show her a man with his head blown off, someone dead on a road from a crash (popular in Thailand) or a male or female with their genitals out, so what's your point???? Clearly, some of the darker sides to human kind we find out for ourselves later in life, or would you have me show my 5 year old now?

We have a rottweiler by the way, and before you go down the what if route, it would be an utter cretin who tried to abduct him.

Personal choices, BUT If I had a Baby I certainly would never have a rottweiller. because now at 5 she must have been very small when you got the dog.

Lovely dogs, but with a kid not the best of choice.

Clearly you have never owned a rottweiler, you can't ask for a better dog around kids. I won't waste my time trying to convert you, if you actually had an interest you would have googled it yourself and read opinions of people who have more experience with dogs than you.

1 year ago I had 10, and 2 cats. 65 years experience in dogs etc.

No I have not owned a rottweiller, nor a pit bull, and love dogs to hell BUT you can google all you like and ask friends that have rottweillers I am saying I would never chance having a new born kid and either of these breeds.

You cannot convert the converted. Any other time have a rotweiller......never chance one when you do not know the strain, as some are from bad nasty backgrounds. Lovely dogs poor choice with a baby. I would never leave a baby alone with a rotveiller near. it is the rare chance......I would care for my baby first---------choices.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As usual with stories of this nature the trolls are out in force! Although access to their site is banned in Thailand the Daily Mail on line articles over the past couple of days clearly show why this has to stop. This is not about the rights and wrongs of eating dog meat, it is about the incredible cruelty involved. As the Daily Mail reporter witnessed this week, stolen pet dogs being thrown into vats of boiling water and then having their fur removed whilst still alive is not acceptable in any society. We call ourselves human beings because we are supposedly humane, anybody who agrees with practises like this does not deserve to be called a human being. The reality is that stray dogs are too wary of humans to get caught by dog nappers, dogs are either exchanged for plastic buckets in poor villages or increasingly are stolen pets.

Having eaten dog (in the Philippines) a half dozen times, I found it was quite tasty, but there they were well bred and well cared for dogs and raised for that specific purpose. That resulted in a much better product that what I've seen on offer in Thailand (in Sakon Nakhon).

I wouldn't eat any stolen animal, someone's pet, and certainly not any diseased soi dog.

When properly raised and prepared, it's a welcome addition to the dining table.

I do realize many people are squeamish about it, but others are the same about other animals such as rabbit, squirrel, and deer. And others turn away from other animals for religious reasons such as pork or beef.

To each his own.

As the saying goes, if God had intended us not to eat animal meat, he wouldn't have made it taste so good.licklips.giflicklips.giflicklips.gif

Have you tried live monkey brain? It is on the menu in the Canton region of China? I know someone who witnessed that and he said it was insane.

I believe all animals that are raised for food, should be treated with the utmost respect, their lives should be a celebration and they should be well fed looked after. But that is impossible especially with Mega farm polluting hell holes whose owners only care about making a killing (pun intended).

Regarding your God line. If we were meant to eat meat, why do we have to cook it? We are the only animal that has to eat meat cooked.

• Like 1

Many people condoning the killing of dogs yet kill cows, pigs, sheep, chickens etc on a daily basis (by proxy). You can treat a fellow animal as nicely as you like but nothing can justify cutting that life short by brutally killing when there are other options. Is it not time for us all to evolve? Surely veganism is the next step to a kinder, less violent and more healthful future.

There are many carnivore plants, do they have feelings ??? how far do you stretch it.

....no they most likely do not as they have no brain or central nervous system. It makes no difference if a plant is carnivorous or not in regard to its ability to feel pain. How about your feelings, how would you feel killing a plant verses killing a dog yourself (honestly)?

I would not kill either intentionally, I regard all creatures and plants equal.

I was a trained butcher by the way.

When you eat animals or plants you do it "intentionally" are you honestly saying if you cut the head off a live plant it would feel the same to you as cutting the head from a live animal (even a human)? If, as I suspect, you have mixed feelings the you are not treating them as "equal".

When you eat animals or plants you do it "intentionally" are you honestly saying if you cut the head off a live plant it would feel the same to you as cutting the head from a live animal (even a human)? If, as I suspect, you have mixed feelings the you are not treating them as "equal".

Think this is going a bit far. I am sorry if I tread on or break off a flower----I am sorry if I accidentally hurt any living thing.

Unless we call in a medium or a.n. other best leave it at this. Suppose feeding on plants and meat is a natural thing, we are equipped with canines , and it gives us choices.

The main point of the TOPIC is cruelty. With intent to gain monetarily.

Having eaten dog (in the Philippines) a half dozen times, I found it was quite tasty, but there they were well bred and well cared for dogs and raised for that specific purpose. That resulted in a much better product that what I've seen on offer in Thailand (in Sakon Nakhon).

I wouldn't eat any stolen animal, someone's pet, and certainly not any diseased soi dog.

I do realize many people are squeamish about it, but others are the same about other animals such as rabbit, squirrel, and deer. And others turn away from other animals for religious reasons such as pork or beef.

To each his own.

As the saying goes, if God had intended us not to eat animal meat, he wouldn't have made it taste so good.licklips.giflicklips.giflicklips.gif

Have you tried live monkey brain? It is on the menu in the Canton region of China? I know someone who witnessed that and he said it was insane.

I believe all animals that are raised for food, should be treated with the utmost respect, their lives should be a celebration and they should be well fed looked after. But that is impossible especially with Mega farm polluting hell holes whose owners only care about making a killing (pun intended).

Regarding your God line. If we were meant to eat meat, why do we have to cook it? We are the only animal that has to eat meat cooked.

I do generally agree with you, except the last paragraph. I do rather enjoy a steak Tartare or a Carpaccio at times. Same for Sashimi. So, no we do not have to cook our Meat or fish. I however have not met anybody who eats raw rice.

Vegetarian, vegan or omnivore, everyone has his choice. Our teeth however do indicate that humans are an omnivorous species.

What God thinks about it, who knows.

I am against cruelty and much of what is described here happening to dogs. I do however have no issue with people eating dog meat.

Edited by StefanBBK
  • Like 1

Why are so many posters down on Soi dogs. Personally I'd like to come back as one in the next life, you should have seen them on Lad Grabang Rd during the floods in 2011 getting fed with big slabs of fried pork 5 times a day given to them by Thais trying to make merit so their houses didn't get flooded. Passing out through the exhaustion of putting away half of their body weight in pork on top of the pile of sandbags ( A VERY COMFY LOOKING BED) DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE 7/11 SHOP'S DOORWAY so as to soak up all of the aircon. I have never seen such a contented bunch of pooches in my life. Honestly A french poodle in heat could of spent all ready stepping out in font of these guys and they wouldn't have lifted an eyelid

• Like 1

Some of the comments on here are insane. Just because there is a couple of dogs outside some of your houses barking they deserve to be slung in a truck and slaughtered??

I run regularly in chumphon and have obviously had dogs bark at me but never try and attack me. Its the idiots provoking them with sticks they go for.

I'm sure there is a more humane way to deal with the problem but will something get done about about it? In Thailand? I won't hold my breath........

• Like 2

I can't help thinking that the UK noticeably not the Govt are really sticking it to Thailand at the moment. Be it Social Media, daily newspapers, TV stars etc,,,, Given what's happened and is happening on that crappy little despicable island it's entirely understandable.

If they do away with the soi-dog meat trafficking...they will need to find another way to rid Thailand of the thousands of unclaimed mutts roaming the sois or be overrun with the unruly mutts...

As I suspected when I read this article the Thai Visa blog is filling with usual inane rhetoric. Indeed Thailand does have a problem with dogs, its not the fault of the dogs but people. The solution however, is not the barbaric and inhumane treament they are getting now. <deleted>

If they do away with the soi-dog meat trafficking...they will need to find another way to rid Thailand of the thousands of unclaimed mutts roaming the sois or be overrun with the unruly mutts...

The soi dogs are not the source of the dog meat trade. Why would scrawny, bony creatures be sought after for human consumption. Well fed, plump dogs, family pets or more likely farm bred dogs would form the basis of this trade. Blame the Thai's ridiculous belief in karma rather than the poor animals themselves for the proliferation of these unfortunate beasts out front of your suburban homes.

• Like 1

I can't help thinking that the UK noticeably not the Govt are really sticking it to Thailand at the moment. Be it Social Media, daily newspapers, TV stars etc,,,, Given what's happened and is happening on that crappy little despicable island it's entirely understandable.

At least the inhabitants of that unfortunate island don't cram helpless animals into metal cages so that they break bones and die of suffocation en route to a ritual slaughter. Societies are best judged by their treatment of the less fortunate, be they animals or humans.

Many years ago, I got stuck behind one of these dog trucks on my motorcycle. The smell, the sight of it, it was absolutely stomach churning. The image of it stayed in my mind for weeks afterwards - and as an old livestock farmer I'm not exactly squeamish. Hell, I've castrated lambs with a pocket knife and my teeth before now.

But that truck was a different dimension. Hellish is the only adjective to describe it.

• Like 1

Many years ago, I got stuck behind one of these dog trucks on my motorcycle. The smell, the sight of it, it was absolutely stomach churning. The image of it stayed in my mind for weeks afterwards - and as an old livestock farmer I'm not exactly squeamish. Hell, I've castrated lambs with a pocket knife and my teeth before now.

But that truck was a different dimension. Hellish is the only adjective to describe it.

Just wait for the 'how dare we tell them what to eat', 'how dare we impose our values on them', 'I wish my soi dogs were riding on the back of that truck' comments from the less civilized members of this forum.

Think this is going a bit far. I am sorry if I tread on or break off a flower----I am sorry if I accidentally hurt any living thing.

Unless we call in a medium or a.n. other best leave it at this. Suppose feeding on plants and meat is a natural thing, we are equipped with canines , and it gives us choices.

Yes the topic is cruelty which is what we are discussing right? I'm not talking about you "accidentally" hurting, I'm talking about deliberate violence or harm, like when humans kill and eat animals. These animals are nearly always children, science and logic tells us they feel pain, this killing and eating is purely for entertainment, just like bullfighting for example.

I'm not trying to attack you personally, I am just pointing out what appears to be clear to me from my point of view. Like for example canines do not make you a meat eater, this is clear by looking at many other animals with canines. I am very glad you pointed out that we have a choice. But.... if you believe eating meat is just a 'personal choice' then maybe you are forgetting someone?

She forgot to mention that they torture the dogs before fillet them so the meat tastes sweeter.

Only a moron or sadist would do that because the adrenaline makes the meat inedible. The same as deer and boar that that are hunted with dogs; the meat is inedible. Trapping, deer stands, boar trails can be used to gather quality, tasty game. Where I grew up in the country, hunters stopped using dogs except to flush out game birds or point out trees with squirrels and raccoons in them. I grew up lower middle-class in the country and we supplemented our larder with wild game. I have friends in Isaan that eat large ants, grubs, toads, and almost anything that moves. When you are poor, protein is protein and one can't afford to be choosy.

Getting confused with eating snakes.

When I was in Vietnam and we eat snake, they hit the cobra with bamboo sticks because they believe if the adrenalin is flowing then there is more taste in the meat when the snake is slaughtered

And it is the same with dogs and cats. They are tortured and beaten to sweeten the flavour. It's called a fact, my friend, not a confusion.

Like I said, it is called a fact by morons and sadists. Which one are you? BTW, I'm not your 'friend'. Are you speaking from personal experience (I am) or are you just repeating ignorance. Just because some people believe unscientific things doesn't make it true. It is true that people 'believe' that torture 'sweetens' the meat but it is not true that it actually 'sweetens' them meat. I typed that last part slowly so you would understand this time.

• Like 1

Oh come on, it's not that little, Phuket's littlegiggle.gif

Yes the topic is cruelty which is what we are discussing right? I'm not talking about you "accidentally" hurting, I'm talking about deliberate violence or harm, like when humans kill and eat animals. These animals are nearly always children, science and logic tells us they feel pain, this killing and eating is purely for entertainment, just like bullfighting for example.

I'm not trying to attack you personally, I am just pointing out what appears to be clear to me from my point of view. Like for example canines do not make you a meat eater, this is clear by looking at many other animals with canines. I am very glad you pointed out that we have a choice. But.... if you believe eating meat is just a 'personal choice' then maybe you are forgetting someone?

Maybe canines do not make you a meat eater -but they helped me eat my Sunday dinner when younger.

We are funny folk really, we eat spring lamb-----rabbits------suckling pig------ others eat horse---frogs----snake-----dogs--even cats.

Who is to say who is wrong. ??

If animals are killed for human consumption have them killed in a painless non traumatic fashion.

I have seen the eyes of calves stare in fright just before they are cut across the throat. humans are barbaric to let animals suffer on death.

I always notice when i go to Lao the dogs are that much less nasty i.e., not as quick to try and attack.my Friend said he believes it has a lot to due with the mentality of Lao people vs Thai people. Dogs can feel aggression sort of subconsciously. If they feel the aggression of their owners/people who look after them then they are going to be aggressive....The dogs I have had contact with in Vientiane, other Lao cities, they bark, but that is it, they don't chase and act like <deleted>, here in the Land of Smiles I feel like I have to hide to avoid them

My only conclusion is that the dogs in Lao possess that much less anger because of the people they are around...and you know what, I aint a dog, but I can feel it too, much more relaxed people, mindset north of the border!

Edited by Smurkster

Without a doubt, Thai Visa has the most vile, ignorant, racist, self-serving, obnoxious commenters of any online website I've seen. Almost every one of you (but not all) are disgusting. I rarely read below the headlines because the comments are usually so nasty and vitriolic. One of the main problems with Thailand are the foreigners who live here, like most of the commenters. There should be a culling of them, but humanely, taken to the airport and deported. It's definitely obvious that most of you have no life, no humanity, hate Thailand and it's people, hate the customs, the food and the language. You just complain 24/7, no matter the topic. Most of you are a sad lot who talk up a mighty wind, but in all probability, do nothing to better anyone around you, your own life situation, or the country you've adopted. It's downright shameful. I'm sure you'll rail against me, but that won't change any of the facts of my comment.

You write as if the foreigners were capturing, transporting, and killing the dogs. Re-read the OP and you will see that it is 100% Thais involved in the dog trade. Deporting foreigners would do nothing to alleviate the dog trade. You want to deport foreigners for their opinion? That says a lot more about you fascist character that those you complain about.

Thais seem to have little if an knowledge of how to treat or care for animals . In Fact Thais have little consideration for humans who are not their family .

When we westerners speak of " A Dogs Life ", we mean it is pretty bad ; but in no way compares to the suffering of dogs in Thailand .

Many Thais in north east Thailand are very poor , poverty is a state of mind and it is in that context that dogs seem so poorly treated .

My village used to be scoured for dogs to sell for dog meat . I recall being very upset when a friends dog disappeared , I nearly went to Sakon Nakhon to try to find it .

People in this region will eat anything , all the things that westerners would never consider eating , or would consign to the waste bin in preparation .

I believe most of southeast Asia eats dog including Japan , though only a small region in Thailand . I believe the transportation of dogs crammed into lorries so tightly that many die in transit has been stopped .

I recently read that a truck with dog meat had been stopped . When I drive around north east Thailand , I am shocked by the numbers of emaciated stray dogs I see scouring the countryside for food .

If a dog suddenly crosses the road in front of one's car and is run over , that is really a kindness to put it out of its misery .

Our village has more and more dogs that nobody properly feeds or cares for , that live by turning out everones dusbin , who bark and howl far into the night .

Nobody will claim ownership of a dog unless it gets killed and they want to claim money in recompense .

Villages should have their own system of culling .

Have you noticed Thais love puppies UNTIL they get bigger then they are a menace.

Yes they only walk around with puppy's and when they are adult they give them away to the temple or family upcountry. I have loads of neighbours who did that.

Also Thai like fat dogs, very fat so it looks like they take care of them very well.

I stopped walking my friends fat dog because it always craps 5-6 times and is so fat that it can't walk without taking a break all the time.

Now it craps on the driveway 6 times a day but the maid has to clean that. She just sprays it onto the street so if you go to their house you have to watch your steps and hold your breath.

They allready dream of a new puppy though.

To each his own.

If we were meant to eat meat, why do we have to cook it? We are the only animal that has to eat meat cooked.

Humans can eat meat raw (steak tartar, rare beef, etc.). Evolutionary scientists have said that cooked meat is more digestible and when humans spent less time chewing, their time was available for other advances and their brains grew larger. Eating cooked meat is what separated humans from all other animals over time. No other animal has harnessed the power of fire.

Edited by rametindallas

Plants Know When They're Being Eaten and They Don't Appreciate it

http://inhabitat.com/plants-know-when-theyre-being-eaten-and-they-dont-appreciate-it/

You're havin' a larf!clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gifclap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif

Yes, but it is a legitimate study. There have been many studies that demonstrate communication between plants. 'Google' it. People poison insects all the time. Are their lives less valuable? I have read posts proclaiming humans should be killed before soi dogs. The hypocrisy of dog lovers borders on the extreme.

Like for example canines do not make you a meat eater, this is clear by looking at many other animals with canines.

Name a few of the "many other animals with canines" that don't eat meat.

Edited by rametindallas