Five people killed and 20 others injured at an uncontrolled railway crossing in Khon Kaen province

webfact

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...train with four passenger bogies was heading for Nong Khai...".

I think it should read passenger cars, as bogies are the cluster of wheels (usually four but sometimes six) underneath the cars that swivel and allow the train to negotiate bends.

(An old train spotter from the LMS line)

Edited by loongdavid
  • Like 1

I think it should read cars, as bogies are the cluster of wheels (usually four but sometimes six) underneath the cars that swivel and allow the train to negotiate bends.

A bogie in the UK, or a railroad truck, wheel truck, or simply truck in North America, is a structure underneath a train to which axles (and, hence, wheels) are attached through bearings.

In Indian English, bogie may also refer to an entire railway carriage.[1]

wiki.

• Like 1

I think it should read cars, as bogies are the cluster of wheels (usually four but sometimes six) underneath the cars that swivel and allow the train to negotiate bends.

A bogie in the UK, or a railroad truck, wheel truck, or simply truck in North America, is a structure underneath a train to which axles (and, hence, wheels) are attached through bearings.

wiki.

Is Khon Kaen in Indiai now then?

canopus1969, on 30 Oct 2014 - 16:42, said:

This driver might be unfamiliar with the place, and therefore was not aware of the train, police said.

Would have thought the rail tracks would have been a clue that trains run on it and so to take care ?

"Thought," now that's an interesting word. somehow it seems to have been missed out, or never mentioned, translated into or added in the Thai language.

"Would have thought the rail tracks would have been a clue that trains run on it and so to take care ?

"Thought," now that's an interesting word. somehow it seems to have been missed out, or never mentioned, translated into or added in the Thai language".

The phrase that's missing from every Thais vocabulary and is never, ever considered - "WHAT IF"?

• Like 1

It is of no use to anybody having third world design engineers trying to fit into 21st century world thinking , something has to give , so before we all sign off on the blueprints for the new rail system to be built , be it from China or the Mars-Venus rail corporation , could we do a cross check and make sure all designated level crossings either go above or below the permanent way. and ensure that within the design criteria no one can access the per-way at any time, ie make their own crossing points or night market venues.coffee1.gif

Fair enough mate, that should be a criteria for almost any railway. SRT in the last 18 months or so have built high grade steel fencing at either side of the tracks through Hua Hin, it must've cost a fortune. Within weeks it was being breached, sometimes successfully sometimes not so. Short of making the entire HST network elevated I don't know what can be done, you can't educate against stupidity.

SjaakNL2013, on 30 Oct 2014 - 18:30, said:
wabothai, on 30 Oct 2014 - 18:23, said:

We have to see things in perspective. Most of us were attracted to Thailand because it was different. Things happening here are just that difference, just my opinion.

I agree with you..... but in the 20+ years i live here it seems that less and less people care for each other.

Most people were attracted for an easier and cheaper lifestyle, as well as to be with a Thai wife, they were not attracted by crazy drivers, dangerous trains, poor roads, so many people carrying weapons etc...

• Like 1

wiki.

Is Khon Kaen in Indiai now then?

Maybe ask Thai PBS, the Broadcaster you can trust. They used the word bogie. I was merely adding to loongdavid's post for clarification.

Jail for the driver of the lorry,why not whats the prob? and and hey Mr new Pm you better pull the finger out soon ,the Country collapsing around you.

This THAINESS crap is bordering on insane, untill your people wake up and live life to some form saneness you will flounder, this im sure of !

RIP the innocent whose lives have been taken, yet again !!!

Edited by phanangpete

It just goes to show how serious Thailand is about it's infrastructure. How difficult is it to first look at what is missing in this country and initiate a program to secure situations like this from happening over and over again. Very, very sad for the people that lost their lives because the Government just doesn't care.

wiki.

and....my mom used to say 'Off to bed or the bogey man will get you". Still don't understand what she meant!

Booked the driver ! Book the bloody administration and for that mater the Government as the railways are state owned for their gross incompetence

in all forms of transportation. Farcical but people are killed every day as a result of a failed administration,enforcement and supervision.

The No 415 Nakhon Ratchasima-Nong Khai train with four passenger bogies was heading for Nong Khai when the driver, Phet Pandee, saw the truck was crossing the rail line at the uncontrolled railway crossing.

He blew the horn and put the brake but still the train could not stop at once and rammed into the middle of the truck.

Amazing they can seem to get a full statement from a dead driver.

That aside. I will give it 6 months before we see the first high speed train derailment or crossing crash with the dead in the hundreds. I hope China knows the truth about Thailand's train accident record. Or even more importantly, the attitude of Thai truck drivers.

Edited by RustBucket
  • Like 1

I met one of the ex-state railway guys that was selling the spare parts for the transmissions on these 50+ year old trains a few years ago and we quoted the special cast iron rings to him but never got any orders... Japanese copies of old american 1940? design - automatic transmissions on the engines.... anyway - not sure how much the railway makes in a year or not - but it sure seems to me that any money made dissappears into back pockets and am not sure when a new train car or engine has ever been bought - as they are real good and replacing all transmissions parts to exact 50 yr old spec.... so no need to buy anything new and following that logic means more back pocket money... have only been on 2 train rides in my 14 years here and no problems...also a few years ago an auzzie company we dealt with brought up an expensive track checking train car and did extensive track checkong all up and down thailand - laser checking for bad rails, ground, gravel the whole works...I think they spent 6 months here on contract - maybe a year going all over the tracks... but if Thailand cannot even get 50 year old slow trains to stay on the tracks and mark any crossings then it will be interesting to see how you implement billion dollar high speed tracks and trains...

here is what happens when a usa train hits a truck loaded with watermelons.... but don't think anyone died....the trains are a bit heavier and don't come off the rails...

even at a controlled crossing with lights

and some other train hits

and this is a good vid - crazy usa drivers trying to get across tracks... good vid....

In Indian English, bogie may also refer to an entire railway carriage.%5B1%5D

wiki.

and....my mom used to say 'Off to bed or the bogey man will get you". Still don't understand what she meant!

Yeah, I'm familiar with the "boogie man" rather than "bogie man" But hey, what's in a name.

This is why if Thailand does go for high speed rail that they use proven companies from either China or Japan. The Thai's can learn from them for the future. Since Thailand cannot afford japan prices, China should be the pick.

I met one of the ex-state railway guys that was selling the spare parts for the transmissions on these 50+ year old trains a few years ago and we quoted the special cast iron rings to him but never got any orders... Japanese copies of old american 1940? design - automatic transmissions on the engines.... anyway - not sure how much the railway makes in a year or not - but it sure seems to me that any money made dissappears into back pockets and am not sure when a new train car or engine has ever been bought - as they are real good and replacing all transmissions parts to exact 50 yr old spec.... so no need to buy anything new and following that logic means more back pocket money... have only been on 2 train rides in my 14 years here and no problems...also a few years ago an auzzie company we dealt with brought up an expensive track checking train car and did extensive track checkong all up and down thailand - laser checking for bad rails, ground, gravel the whole works...I think they spent 6 months here on contract - maybe a year going all over the tracks... but if Thailand cannot even get 50 year old slow trains to stay on the tracks and mark any crossings then it will be interesting to see how you implement billion dollar high speed tracks and trains...

here is what happens when a usa train hits a truck loaded with watermelons.... but don't think anyone died....the trains are a bit heavier and don't come off the rails...

even at a controlled crossing with lights

and some other train hits

and this is a good vid - crazy usa drivers trying to get across tracks... good vid....

Second video is good shrimpy, but don't blame USA drivers on this one, this guy was hit by a KCS Mexican train across the border. Still, shows there's crazy Latinos as well. Hopefully not fatal.

We have to see things in perspective. Most of us were attracted to Thailand because it was different. Things happening here are just that difference, just my opinion.

I agree with you..... but in the 20+ years i live here it seems that less and less people care for each other.

Happening the same all over the world. It's been getting nastier year on year.

Now we have the ultimate Nasty gang.ISIS on the block.

• Like 1

I am expecting to be banned for this comment, but I feel it needs to be said...

Why can't TV have a thread that combines all the extremely dangerous and deadly news reports events?

It would highlight to the international press the 'true' situation in this country - how many 1000's of people have to die?

Perhaps Thailand needs to be 'shocked' into ACTION from the international community - what ever that actually means...

RIP

• Like 1

I think it should read passenger cars, as bogies are the cluster of wheels (usually four but sometimes six) underneath the cars that swivel and allow the train to negotiate bends.

Translate that to Thai and I'm sure the grieving families will thank you.

It just goes to show how serious Thailand is about it's infrastructure. How difficult is it to first look at what is missing in this country and initiate a program to secure situations like this from happening over and over again. Very, very sad for the people that lost their lives because the Government just doesn't care.

Thaksin did?..good one red reanimator

It seems very hard for drivers to stop at a train crossing. This is not typical Thai. but it happens everywhere. Even with barriers the imbeciles can't wait till the train is passed.

Nonsense, it is typical Thai. It happened in Pattaya also only yesterday. Most Thais when driving dont want to wait, or give way. Remove your rose tints, then go out and drive on the roads here in Thailand.

• Like 2

It seems very hard for drivers to stop at a train crossing. This is not typical Thai. but it happens everywhere. Even with barriers the imbeciles can't wait till the train is passed.

Nonsense, it is typical Thai. It happened in Pattaya also only yesterday. Most Thais when driving dont want to wait, or give way. Remove your rose tints, then go out and drive on the roads here in Thailand.

• Like 1