Fedex vs DHL in BKK

srchino

I've got a company needing to fedex me some documents from overseas, and then I've got to return them. Has anyone had any experience with fedex vs DHL in Bangkok? I've used fedex for sending packages before without issue, but in general it seems like DHL is the more prevalent shipping company in Bangkok. Any advice based on actual experience is greatly appreciated.

I spent about three full days over two weeks struggling to find a shipper for my package to USA. It became a challenging game for me.

I used the DHL web site email and got no response. I phoned DHL's web site phone number three times a day, different times, for three days and there was never an answer..... it rang until the phone system shut off the ringing. Did not use DHL.

I used UPS web site with no response to email. UPS did answer their phone per web number after long ringing times. UPS phone voice had lots of trouble with English and referred me to a supervisor who never came on the line. Had other contact problems. Did not use UPS.

I used FedEx web site email with no response. FedEx has a secret four digit number, not on web but on Google, and FedEx did not answer long ringing phone for web site number but did answer four digit number ok and English was passable. I had to explain my package, electronics returning to usa for repair, to several people and finally gave up and used FedEx cheapest overseas rate to send.

My case was complicated in that I had imported the item legally with huge duty paid to Thailand, but this trip I wanted to send it to usa for repair. That condition was way beyond understanding by UPS and finally was by FedEx, but FedEx was unable to do the paperwork for that, and I had to send without proof of repair status (which could involved lots less export duty, only a "fee").

Two freight shippers refused to try to help me. The special Thai govt. Customs Info phone number was never answered over many tries.

Now, usa is trying to charge me duty on the item and FedEx did not explain to usa, so more problems.

I do not know how anyone could do reliable outbound shipping in this smiling nation.

• Like 1

For Bangkok all the same TNT FedX DHL

Up country it depends on whether they use their own delivery in the area or just resend by EMS. Much better if they do their own.

So you don't know who does their own?

I am not in Bangkok but I use FedEx for stuff to/from the US and DHL for stuff to/from the EU. Both pretty good when sending documents and the like. However, since they are bound to pretty strict import/export regulations both here and elsewhere, one needs to be very, very careful when sending merchandise and make sure that one is using the correct classifications.This forum has many posts with people thinking that herbal supplements are different from medicines or totally surprised that warranty repair returns are purely for items bought in (say) the US for use in the US.

For the OP, for purely documentary shipments, I would give DHL the edge but that does depend on where the documents are coming from/going back to. I assume if they are using FedEx to send them to you, it will be the US. In this instance, I would stick with FedEx.

Have used Fedex weekly for all size shipments for 12 years, service is great, but prices have crept up. DHL reps try to persuade us to change, but prices are exactly the same and others have complained a little of the service. Used TNT 3 times, had serious problems twice, cheap but would never use them again.

For Bangkok all the same TNT FedX DHL

Up country it depends on whether they use their own delivery in the area or just resend by EMS. Much better if they do their own.

So you don't know who does their own?

Each town varies. That is why if you are sending something from say the US to here it is important to find out what is the best for your area. For example DHL is ok for Chiangmai but if you live in Chiangrai they just resend it EMS once it gets to Bangkok

I have found EMS beats the lot of them and is faster than the couriers. I had my New Zealand passport renewed in New Zealand after my original was stolen in Pattaya, the passport office had my address in Thailand, Khon Kaen, the passport office replied to me that DHL did not have a service to Khon Kean and the post code of 40000 did not match any in Thailand because they never went over 4 numbers. I told them to send it to my home in New Zealand and my Son went to the post office and sent it to me EMS it arrived within 6 days delivered by DHL. Ha, and DHL in Wellington New Zealand said they could not deliver it to Khon Kaen.

I have also sent documents from the post office in Khon Kaen to New Zealand by normal air mail and they arrived in New Zealand within 4 days, faster than courier.

• Like 1

Over many years I have read complaints about all of the above mentioned "couriers"...phones not answered, emails not replied too...stuff not arriving inbound to Thailand..+ outbound etc etc

Just a thought/question....are these couriers not "licenced/franchised" to operate alongside worldwide service standards, imposed by the by their respective "Head Offices"...??

I mean for one...DHL in New Zealand are constantly on the TV marketing and selling their services as a worldwide country having the same service standards throughout the world...in fact one of their TV advertisements...gives an example of a package leaving NZ for Africa and gives brief glimpses of it travelling throughout their distribution system to the end receiver.

What I am saying is if the Thailand "standard" of these outfits is so bad...there must be a definite recourse for us folk in Thailand through to the "franchise head office" in whatever overseas country it is situated in...to complain...!!!!

Just a thought

I've got a company needing to fedex me some documents from overseas, and then I've got to return them. Has anyone had any experience with fedex vs DHL in Bangkok? I've used fedex for sending packages before without issue, but in general it seems like DHL is the more prevalent shipping company in Bangkok. Any advice based on actual experience is greatly appreciated.

I think you must try FedEx. I got many problems with DHL.

I never use FedEx if I have a choice. I had a guy send something to me from Indonesia to the UK using his own account. He didn't pay his bill, so they decided to come after me for the shipping charge. I refused of course and they actually sold the debt to a collection agency in the UK and I started getting all sorts of threatening letters.

IMHO they should have sold HIS debt and HE should have got the threats. More to the point, I should never have been subject to the stress and inconvenience of any of it. I presume there are weasel words in the small print I didn't know about whilst signing for it on the doorstep which gave them the right to even send bailiffs to collect it.

The fact that their pickup guy turns up in a rusty old van and is covered in tattoos doesn't help either.

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe that you called DHL and no one answer?

Well, another nasty TV typists calling me a liar. Go get drunk again. Perhaps DHL has a secret four digit phone number but it is not on their web site that I found. Their regular phone number from their web site was never answered.

Oh, I forgot to add that UPS lists THREE numbers on their web site, but after calling the third one, I got a very confused Thai lady who had nothing to do with UPS, but her English was better than any of the companies' personnel I did reach.

Over many years I have read complaints about all of the above mentioned "couriers"...phones not answered, emails not replied too...stuff not arriving inbound to Thailand..+ outbound etc etc

Just a thought/question....are these couriers not "licenced/franchised" to operate alongside worldwide service standards, imposed by the by their respective "Head Offices"...??

I mean for one...DHL in New Zealand are constantly on the TV marketing and selling their services as a worldwide country having the same service standards throughout the world...in fact one of their TV advertisements...gives an example of a package leaving NZ for Africa and gives brief glimpses of it travelling throughout their distribution system to the end receiver.

What I am saying is if the Thailand "standard" of these outfits is so bad...there must be a definite recourse for us folk in Thailand through to the "franchise head office" in whatever overseas country it is situated in...to complain...!!!!

Just a thought

Bad thought. Try to teach or supervise Thai in jobs requiring precision. Not gonna deliver international standards or quality or speed regardless of what the Head Office may say. All that happens is that the Head Office beats on, or fires, their Western local supervisor and he is at a genuine loss to get anything done. Fact.

I live about 2.5 hours outside of Udon Thani, in a one horse village. TNT actually comes to my house and picks up my parcels including documents or packages and they provide a great service for my needs, and same as delivery to my home from the US.

And they even answer the phone when i call them...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sometimes I call the prime minister, and he doesn't pick up my phone calls.......

Andtheprimeministerusetodeliverparcels???

Sometimes if I am in a good mood, I let him do my laundry as well.

For documents there's no custom charges, so you can ignore that side of things.

Used fedex in the past, and shipping to the UK, it went via the US, so took a day longer than DHL (asuming you get it to them in time for that days flight to Europe. Used the small DHL office at Mega BangNa late on Saturday once, and tracking showed it sat in the office there until the Monday), so I'd say it depends where you're shipping to if speed is an issue, and go early in the day.

Have never asked them to collect the package from me. Always gone to an office with it, so don't know about collections.

If speed isn't an issue, I've never had problems with EMS from Thai post. And they took things like the blood samples for the dogs Rabies tests that the others wouldn't accept. (although that is specifically where we paid for EMS. We have had problems when we didn't use EMS with Thai Post).

I spent about three full days over two weeks struggling to find a shipper for my package to USA. It became a challenging game for me.

I used the DHL web site email and got no response. I phoned DHL's web site phone number three times a day, different times, for three days and there was never an answer..... it rang until the phone system shut off the ringing. Did not use DHL.

I used UPS web site with no response to email. UPS did answer their phone per web number after long ringing times. UPS phone voice had lots of trouble with English and referred me to a supervisor who never came on the line. Had other contact problems. Did not use UPS.

I used FedEx web site email with no response. FedEx has a secret four digit number, not on web but on Google, and FedEx did not answer long ringing phone for web site number but did answer four digit number ok and English was passable. I had to explain my package, electronics returning to usa for repair, to several people and finally gave up and used FedEx cheapest overseas rate to send.

My case was complicated in that I had imported the item legally with huge duty paid to Thailand, but this trip I wanted to send it to usa for repair. That condition was way beyond understanding by UPS and finally was by FedEx, but FedEx was unable to do the paperwork for that, and I had to send without proof of repair status (which could involved lots less export duty, only a "fee").

Two freight shippers refused to try to help me. The special Thai govt. Customs Info phone number was never answered over many tries.

Now, usa is trying to charge me duty on the item and FedEx did not explain to usa, so more problems.

I do not know how anyone could do reliable outbound shipping in this smiling nation.

Nonsense: direct from the webpage:

Customer Service Hotline

1782 (Bangkok Hotline Number)

We call FedEx every day and the worst I have ever seen is to wait 2 min since someone pickup.

Same for the others.

I've used FedEx and DHL in Pattaya both for sending and receiving things. I never phone businesses here. Almost certain to lead to hair-pulling and gnashing of teeth, Just took whatever needed to be sent to one their offices or one of the services that send things using various couriers and/or the PO. Never had a problem.

If someone is sending me something that is potentially dutiable I always insist they use the PO... EMS if necessary. The courier services will always ensure you pay the maximum customs duty possible. The Post Office is far more user-friendly in that regard.

Unfortunately if you use EMS to some place in the US, it will reach the US in a couple of days and then you can grow old while tracking the thing in the hands of the USPS, especially to addresses away from large urban areas. I've had things reach the US in two days and then take a week or more to reach the recipient.

I have had dozens of packages (sent & received) from both FedEx and DHL. Most are business related - Parts of medical devices for repair, etc. Some must clear customs, most are small enough and labeled correctly - so they don't need to be held at customs. I have had 4 packages shipped by DHL from Anaheim, CA get dead-ended in Tajikistan. I have never had a problem with FedEx. Never.

Edited by Commercial Diver

I had shipment FedEx to Sweden. It was lost in Sweden. FedEx didn't care, because it was a FedEx partner who lost it. They didn't try to recover it....Some small amount for compensation....

UPS has problems exporting from China. DHL works perfect. It always depends on the country.

If out for repair do not use FedEx or DHL... As you need to do formal clearance for temporary export to avoid having to pay tax again when you re-import.

If done correctly, you will only need to pay tax on the repair cost, not the goods themselves...

In Thai if

Talking to customs broker you want to tell them ... What sounds like "suni nam glap"

If any questions drop me a PM, can help you, as work for a forwarder here in Thailand