Baht Bus - Safe working load

Haydn

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the OP is overlooking an important place of extra capacity.

What about the front seat ... next to the driver?

There, I know that some Drivers like the 'larger' Farang passenger because, being forward of the centre of gravity, it helps balance out those in the back ... thus extra carrying capacity.

Anyone usually ride up front with the Driver?

Usually a larger passenger?

Anyone?

I have been in the front on several occasions. Although far from a skinny person it was a matter of the driver wanting an extra fare. You get the odd double take when the fare is paid and change relayed to the other passengers. In the hot season it has the advantage of being air-conditioned, and during songkran it is dry. :) So in conclusion it is a better place to travel, until the driver tries to squeeze another passenger in the front.

I think the OP is overlooking an important place of extra capacity.

What about the front seat ... next to the driver?

There, I know that some Drivers like the 'larger' Farang passenger because, being forward of the centre of gravity, it helps balance out those in the back ... thus extra carrying capacity.

Anyone usually ride up front with the Driver?

Usually a larger passenger?

Anyone?

I have been in the front on several occasions. Although far from a skinny person it was a matter of the driver wanting an extra fare. You get the odd double take when the fare is paid and change relayed to the other passengers. In the hot season it has the advantage of being air-conditioned, and during songkran it is dry. smile.png So in conclusion it is a better place to travel, until the driver tries to squeeze another passenger in the front.

Depends on the passenger he is trying to squeeze in whistling.gif

OP, you would have a heart attack in the Philippines my friend. Jeepneys, the local transport to a baht bus, regularly stop outside schools and the children clamber onto the ROOF. I said the same as you to one woman, is it safe? Her response was that they would have to wait a long time for another.

I always thought the purpose of this particular method of transportation was to bring on natural selection more quickly

Really a big issue for you, consider alternate transport.

Yes these buses flip over, yes they come to a grinding halt, yes they wind up in the river, yes people get smashed and tossed of the windows all the time.

Edited by tinhead

Personally, I would never ever ever stand up on the back step ... I am often asked to do so at that baht bus terminus. They wont leave till they get someone to do it. I wait for the next one or walk further up the road to hail a different bus. A falang was killed a few years back falling off a bus step. Must have been more previously. It must be remembered most baht bus drivers seem to think someone pressing the bell is a test ... when they hear it ... they have to do an emergency stop. Perhaps they think we are unable to time our pressing the bell to allow a safe stopping distance to where we want to get off.

average weight for person = 75kg

Number of passengers = 15

75kg x 15 = 1125kg

now someone look up the load capacity for the baht bus (might have to subtract fabricated tray weight estimate 200kg)

post discussing moderator actions removed. see this forum rule ...

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

That is the same for all Baht buses leaving Pattaya Tai for Jomtien. 6 sitting on each side. No one is forced to stand on the back, but people choose to inc myself. No its not safe. But reducing the number of passengers to 8 would not make it any safer. If you want to travel in a safer manner l guess you take a proper taxi.

If the front wheels rise and lose contact with the road then 1 passenger is asked to get off or sit on the bonnet (hood) for better balance.

Edit to add.... A few years back I actually saw the front wheels rise from the road when a baht bus pulled away due to passenger load. Was in Rayong not Pattaya.

Actually I saw that happen in Rayong also.

Who gives a damn, silly law that nobody takes any notice of, show me a court case where there has been a prosecution for an overloaded baht bus, how can they keep up the second best record for road deaths if they have to follow silly laws ?