Baht Bus - Safe working load

Haydn

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think the OP is overlooking an important place of extra capacity.

What about the front seat ... next to the driver?

There, I know that some Drivers like the 'larger' Farang passenger because, being forward of the centre of gravity, it helps balance out those in the back ... thus extra carrying capacity.

Anyone usually ride up front with the Driver?

Usually a larger passenger?

Anyone?

6 seated on both sides of the back seems to be the norm at night heading towards Jomtien though at other times, they may leave with 5 sitting. I've sat up beside the driver when heading back to Jomtien at night a few times, usually with a girl.

Alan

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

average weight for person = 75kg

Number of passengers = 15

75kg x 15 = 1125kg

now someone look up the load capacity for the baht bus (might have to subtract fabricated tray weight estimate 200kg)

Most standard pick-ups have a nominal load capacity of 1 tonne... so your 15 passengers as above is well within this (for Thailand at least...??!!); remember also that the ST's are not usually travelling at anywhere near their rated speed.

In Rayong I often see normal pick-ups packed with standing construction/other thai workers - even on the lowered rear-flap, frequently around 20-30 persons... Once in Chantaburi, I saw one that had around 40 packed in (although they mostly appeared to be Cambodian, and therefore slightly smaller....still 40 at 50kgs is about double the SWL...

Obviously depends on the load being well distributed - a couple of well placed "standard Pattaya" farangs on the rear step of an otherwise empty ST can make the steering a bit light.

If the front wheels rise and lose contact with the road then 1 passenger is asked to get off or sit on the bonnet (hood) for better balance.

Edit to add.... A few years back I actually saw the front wheels rise from the road when a baht bus pulled away due to passenger load. Was in Rayong not Pattaya.

I would have loved to see it... pity no pictures.... "fly me to the moon" or "Rayong BBW - Baht Bus Wheelie"

I suppose it's better than in India where the roof is considered available seating....don't have to get on if one doesn't want to. I see many Farangs who seem to enjoy hanging off the back, I think it makes them feel like John Wayne jumping onto a stagecoach (does me anyway) and it's a great opp. to show off my youthful exilerance in front of the girlfriend....Just joking,............. Never use them if at all possible.

• Like 1

Haydn, and nothing to do with you. This us Thailand & their rules. Even if u complained to relevant authority ud probably get charged for being in it & causing it to be over loaded . If u learn nothing else about Thailand , remember this, simply because you're a foreigner , it's your fault if anything bad happens while ur on it or near it

If the front wheels rise and lose contact with the road then 1 passenger is asked to get off or sit on the bonnet (hood) for better balance.

Edit to add.... A few years back I actually saw the front wheels rise from the road when a baht bus pulled away due to passenger load. Was in Rayong not Pattaya.

I would have loved to see it... pity no pictures.... "fly me to the moon" or "Rayong BBW - Baht Bus Wheelie"

The front wheels were off the ground only briefly as he pulled away, overloaded + low gear + bit of wellie = torque. Seen many overloaded songthaew since but none with front wheels rising. sorry no pics.

The load is based on maximizing the baht and I don't blame them, but is it safe? Clearly, no.

Safe or not, one of the pleasures I have in LOS is standing on the backplate of a baht bus speeding at 60 mph, though that usually happens other places than Pattaya.

Never be allowed in western nanny states.

Welds are not easily broken without some high impact.

It isn't possible to do proper welds wearing sunglasses or nothing. The "weld" put on our back gate fell apart because there was no proper penetration. I suspect that applies to most small job welding done by Thai so called welders.
Sorry mate but your back gate welding job does not equate to every single Thai welder

Welding schmelding ... what's up with those cheap plastic baskets the Russkie men carry on the baht buses?

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Trip to/from the laundry?

Not big enough for laundry.

Something like this but more square edges:

post-37101-0-65704100-1414943926_thumb.j

The men are carrying.

Could it be pelmeni?

Welding schmelding ... what's up with those cheap plastic baskets the Russkie men carry on the baht buses?

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Trip to/from the laundry?

Not big enough for laundry.

Something like this but more square edges:

attachicon.gif1-250x250.jpg

The men are carrying.

Could it be pelmeni?

Looks more like a drowning device for small mammals.

I think the OP is overlooking an important place of extra capacity.

What about the front seat ... next to the driver?

There, I know that some Drivers like the 'larger' Farang passenger because, being forward of the centre of gravity, it helps balance out those in the back ... thus extra carrying capacity.

Anyone usually ride up front with the Driver?

Usually a larger passenger?

Anyone?

The wife and kids are usually in the front seat

Sometimes when I return by public bus from BKK to the bus station in north Pattaya, I will take the public songtaew (baht bus, 20baht) to my place along Beach Rd. (Easy for me) But whenever I see couples from Europe, Korea, Japan... arriving and jumping on this kind of public transportation (where they pack you like sardines though you have a suit case or travel bag with you) and the driver barks at you to move over more and there is no more room, I am thinking, Welcome to classy Pattaya! They have arrived in the city less than 5 minutes and already get a taste of "no rules" and "no class".

• Like 1

the only one who can enlighten us is our resident "baht(not bart) bus expert-MR JT...clap2.gif

I was hoping to for some advice on Baht Bus tours of Pattaya, do you think he might have some ideas?

Beach Road and Second Road tours are great fun, just 20 baht

Can be done for TEN BAHT, of course. Just saying.whistling.gif

• Like 1

The springs, chassis, brakes and bed are designed to safely carry how much? 500 Kilograms? Probably less.

Every baht bus going over the hill into Jomtien is dangerously overloaded.

Does their insurance company know this?

It's more, like 1000 kg.

The first thing comes to mind is you are thinking too much - "safety"?

The speeds usually only get up to about 20-30MPH and regardless on the number of passengers, those whom are sitting-down are fairly safe.

Those who are standing-up holding onto the back of the bus rails are less safe/secure. If they fall I am sure it could do damage to them..

The key is don't day-dream and don't always listen to what the driver says as he is looking at it from a financial basis.

If you don't feel save, get off and take another baht bus or walk.

the only one who can enlighten us is our resident "baht(not bart) bus expert-MR JT...clap2.gif

I was hoping to for some advice on Baht Bus tours of Pattaya, do you think he might have some ideas?

Beach Road and Second Road tours are great fun, just 20 baht

Can be done for TEN BAHT, of course. Just saying.whistling.gif

The 10 Baht trip sometimes includes a free Thai boxing display by the driver.whistling.gif