Is a one year visa enough to get Internet banking at Bangkok Bank?

Internet banging you can even get with a tourist visa just depends on the branch and mood of the staff

So did I on a tourist visa valid for less than a week.

This is always a matter of negotiation and credibility. The bank has to believe that you are a long term customer, or they will not bother to set up internet banking or even an account. Many different ways to accomplish this, there is no standard recipe.

ask your bank. there is no easier way to get a definitive answer

Your answer applies to sooooo many of the questions asked on this forum. But in this particular case, as Pib pointed out "'some branches' (of all banks, just not Bangkok Bank) just won't do it or even open an account for a farang without a work permit". But other branches of the same bank will. So, unless you ask at every branch of "your bank" (or unless/until you get a "yes" in response), you won't really know if your bank (or just that branch) won't open an account with ibanking privileges. But the "definitive" answer has, I think, been given here.....

Banks don't issue CREDIT cards to most farangs. It's only DEBIT cards.

Anyway, you have to have money in a Thai bank in order to apply for a Retirement "Visa" (extension).

If you're in Chiang Mai, the BKK Bank inside Kad Suan Keow is a favourite with expats, and the staff at the international desk all speak excellent English.

They will issue a credit card to anyone who puts up the deposit.

The posts continue to role in confirming "it basically depends on the branch" as to whether you will be successful in opening an account and/or ibanking. But if you have a long term visa or work permit your chances improve greatly. Folks with short term visas seem more likely to hit barriers with some branches but many are able to open accounts and ibanking. All a person can do is attempt to open an account and ibanking; if unsuccessful, evaluate the refusal and then try the next branch down the soi.

• Like 1

When I asked for Internet banking at Bangkok Bank a few years ago I was told I could not qualify because I had no work permit. I completed the application anyway and put a note at the bottom that I would withdraw all my money and go to a different bank if they did not grant my request. A few days later I received a temporary password in the mail and I had Internet bamking.

In addition to your passport, remember to take your phone if there are problems like this, as the bank send out a 'one-time password' and you can't go any further until that number is entered.