30 Day Extension

With the recent changes to the visa system I have one query. I was led to believe that if you come into Thailand and get a 30 day visa on arrival that it was possible to extend this for another 30 if you go to immigration and pay a fee.

A mate of mine tried this in Jomtien and was told by the immigration that you can only extend by 7 days. It's of particular importance as I work offshore on a 6 week on/off. I am over 50 so a multiple entry retirement visa could be the answer. If this 30 day extension rule is a load of XXXXX a lot of people in my position would like to know.

I know a lot of single offshore workers who are not in the over 50's youth who have gone to Pnom Pen already. Any information would be warmly received.

Jomtien shamelessly wants 2,500 - 3,000 Bt instead of 1,900.

One can stand his ground and talk to senior office to get a written denial, or pay up, or go to another less corrupt office.

Is this your personal experience or more hearsay?

There have been enough reports of Jomtien saying it is only 7 days but then are told 3000 baht will get you 30 days for it be considered factual not hearsay.

I understand it has been reported to immigration headquarters so perhaps things could change shortly.

Interesting. I personally have never gone to the Jomtien office. A few years ago I got a quick 7 day extension to line up my travel plans that got messed up a bit by the Airport takeover. I went to Key Visa and let them go stand in line. It was worth the small fee they charged. It saved me the 1/2 day of getting down to Jomtien, doing the form, waiting, getting back to Pattaya etc. I would be curious to see if any members have queried one of the local Visa shops to see what they charge.

I went to the Jomtien office last week hoping to get another 1 year retirement visa with multiple reentry as my old one expired in May. I filled in the forms with relevant copies and the lady told me I would have to go to Bangkok for that, but I could get 14 days extension here and now and pay 1900 baht. After explaining to her that I would be leaving in 60 days she said she could extend my 30 days tourist visa by 30 days and pay her 3000 baht. Ok, good enough for me now so I paid 3000 baht - come back later and pick up your passport. After collecting my passport I noted the receipt showed only 1900 baht - the lady had dissappeared so I asked the friendly "falang advisor" what to do - complain? Not a good idea he said - TIT! The visa rules are changing all the time, when you are back in January surely they will have changed again!

Wayned. This is not hearsay at all. I sailing with the person in question now. He is a DP Operator and I am down the Engine Room. I will be going on the bridge shortly to chat to him. Is it possible to go to another immigration office outside of the Jomtien area or do you have to go to the local office where you reside?

I recently got a 30 day extension on my visa exemption stamp at Jomtien for 1900 baht.

Was in and out of there in less than 45 minutes.

A friend had the same experience yesterday except he was in and out in 30 minutes. I don't understand why some people have problems and others don't.

• Like 1

I recently got a 30 day extension on my visa exemption stamp at Jomtien for 1900 baht.

Was in and out of there in less than 45 minutes.

A friend had the same experience yesterday except he was in and out in 30 minutes. I don't understand why some people have problems and others don't.

I was wondering the same thing.

I was actually impressed their customer service.

I will have to go to the Immigration Office in Jomtien to extend my 30 days visa i got at the airport when entering Thailand.

I understand that I will get 30 more days for 1900 bahts.

Can you tell me if i need to show a plane ticket, an hotel reservation, or something else ...?

Thanks

Edited by frankstraube

I will have to go to the Immigration Office in Jomtien to extend my 30 days visa i got at the airport when entering Thailand.

Can you tell me if i need to show a plane ticket, an hotel reservation, or something else ...?

Thanks

Just a completed TM7 application form, passport copies and TM6 departure card copy.

Reports from Jomtien, be prepared

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/763503-30-day-extension-at-jomtien/

I guess that if you want to avoid the 3000 bahts scam instead of 1900 bahts, it should be a good idea to bring with you a copy (in english and thai) of the new law regarding the 30 days extension of the 30 days visa exemption on arrival.

Anybody can post a copy of that law, or a link to an official thai website ?

Thanks.

Edited by frankstraube

I guess that if you want to avoid the 3000 bahts scam instead of 1900 bahts, it should be a good idea to bring with you a copy (in english and thai) of the new law regarding the 30 days extension of the 30 days visa exemption on arrival.

Anybody can post a copy of that law, or a link to an official thai website ?

Thanks.

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/popup_anounce.html

Thanks.

And if I click at the bottom of the announcement page I get also the same in thai.

I think that if the officer wants 3000 b, i will just ask for his name and a receipt. And if he says the receipt will show 1900 b, i will ask to speak to his boss. Should be enough to show him I know what's he trying to do (or maybe all the staff are on the take ?).

1100 bahts multiplied by dozens of people everyday, nice little income supplement.