Growing avocado in Thailand

namdocmai

Thanks. I bought these guys when I was passing through Petchabun about 10 days ago. I thought they had sold me canon balls and that they were never going to ripen. They were all green this morning and then 3 of them decided to ripen throughout today. Any idea what type these are?

post-86157-0-46997300-1415629241_thumb.j

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, I have been buying Haas from Tops since they appeared on the shelves a few months back. You can be 99% sure you'll get to eat all of them, whereas the big canon balls from the royal project are a bit riskier. They do taste just as nice though if you get to eat them at the right time.

I'm expecting this week to be the last we'll see of them, but I hope I'm wrong.

We bought 8 thai hass avocado's yesterday in Tops, today we ate 3 but one was rotting, the others were perfect.

Also the Royal project has them now, still small but 4 for 55 baht. They will also get the cannonballs i think.

I 'm still waiting for my tree to start blooming, i have no idea though when they do that in BKK if they do it at all. So many thai people have told me i can't grow avocado in BKK but i don't care, i want to try it myself.

Edited by namdocmai

That's my attitude too. You'll never know for sure unless you try for yourself.

Still reeling from those 5 bad ones, I thought the least I can do is grow some trees out of them. After watching tutorials on Youtube, I thought I'd try their methods rather than just throwing them in the ground....

post-86157-0-42120900-1415755229_thumb.j

For anyone thinking of doing the same, I was given confidence by this video.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTR1oZimeAM on Youtube. There are several more - including an excellent one by a guy in Hawaii teaching you how to graft avocado trees.

I have been growing avaocados in Nakhon Nayok using this information. Grafted tress puchased from pak chong. They have been growing fine and i use the info from the same document you quote. Earlier this year ate my first avacadoes from the trees after less than 3 years. (Only 4 fruits)

May I ask WHERE EXACTLY in Pak Chong? Do you happen to know where can I buy avocado plants closer to Korat City?

Thanks J.

Hi

I have a very large 40ft tall and 30 foot across avocado tree in my front yard here in California, It is probably 50 years old

It makes a great shade tree most years with very few avocados but the one I get those years are very tasty and buttery,

This year is the most I have seen in my 35 years living here , maybe 10 times as many as normal ,

But they are pretty bad tasting , they are dry and once ripened after falling off the tree are just tasteless , ,

These are 100s more on the tree , it is the first time I remember seeing them in clusters.

It gives the squirrels something to play with !

Anyway any idea what to do next year so they have some taste ?

I am sure the roots are 20 feet down as its concrete all around it , the soil here is sandy dirt as its a couple miles from the ocean,

Anyway good luck growing tasty ones , the avocados I had in Hawaii years ago were also very tasteless,

good ones are like butter :) and there are tons for sale cheap this time of year here , just not off my tree !

I have been growing avaocados in Nakhon Nayok using this information. Grafted tress puchased from pak chong. They have been growing fine and i use the info from the same document you quote. Earlier this year ate my first avacadoes from the trees after less than 3 years. (Only 4 fruits)

May I ask WHERE EXACTLY in Pak Chong? Do you happen to know where can I buy avocado plants closer to Korat City?

Thanks J.

Dont know were else to buy. Directions to difficult to describe but their number is 044 311 796.

They usually have the trees ready to sell around march. I suggest you call them and book the trees you want, ask them when they will be ready, and call them again to check when they said they would be ready.

I have two avocado trees about 4 years old from grafts...they have been growing very nicely and are about 7 meters high and seemed quite happy until a month or so ago when the leaves turned black and one seems dead and about half the leaves on the second tree are now black.

Anyone have any idea why or if anything I did or didn't do would make any difference? I am in Chiang Rai where normally everything grows like crazy.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have two avocado trees about 4 years old from grafts...they have been growing very nicely and are about 7 meters high and seemed quite happy until a month or so ago when the leaves turned black and one seems dead and about half the leaves on the second tree are now black.

Anyone have any idea why or if anything I did or didn't do would make any difference? I am in Chiang Rai where normally everything grows like crazy.

Chances are they got very wet feet I also in Chiang Rai and had 1 die was soaked with all the rain we had commonly called Root Rot

Is it possible to grow Avocado's in the south, say around Suratthani, or only in the cooler north.

Is it possible to grow Avocado's in the south, say around Suratthani, or only in the cooler north.

Cant answer that. It was only a hope that they would grow in NN and it will take a few years to know if they fruit well.

Cant answer that. It was only a hope that they would grow in NN and it will take a few years to know if they fruit well.
Ps i think i have read on this stream that they can be grown in Isaan, if so south should be OK

Ps i think i have read on this stream that they can be grown in Isaan, if so south should be OK

Guess its a lot dryer in Isaan than Suratthani, and i know that Avo's don't like wet feet. I had a few trees back home in Queensland, but the land was slightly elevated so more inclined to drain.

Just over a year ago I managed to get a plant to grow from an avocado seed (don't remember which type), but it stopped growing a while back. I've never fertilized it, so I assume that is the problem.

I'm afraid I don't understand "a mixture of 46-0-0 and 15-15-15". What do these numbers mean? Where can I buy this fertilizer in/around Korat?

Thank you.

Those numbers represent the N. P. K . ratio ( nitrogen phosphorous potassium) in the fertilizer bag

Chemical fertilizers are harsh, for avocado use 15-15-15 very sparingly spread under the canopy circumference.

You will get better results if you can find some cow or pig manure and keep it moist under the canopy.

No sure where to shop in Korat but I noticed on the ouskirts there are countless garden supply stores; for one tree, one or two kg of 15-15-15 will last for a while.

Just over a year ago I managed to get a plant to grow from an avocado seed (don't remember which type), but it stopped growing a while back. I've never fertilized it, so I assume that is the problem.

I'm afraid I don't understand "a mixture of 46-0-0 and 15-15-15". What do these numbers mean? Where can I buy this fertilizer in/around Korat?

Thank you.

Hello All, at most of the roadside nurseries you can buy bags of cow shit for

under Bt20. This is from a nursery on Hwy 226, Muang Korat.

It also works as a weight to hold down LDPE to get the coil curl out.

You can get 15 15 15 or 16 16 16 16, the blue stuff, even at Lotus.

rice555

post-37242-0-16804600-1416080921_thumb.j

A few of comments i would like to make.

Phytophthora root rot is a major problem of avocados. I understand there are now some varieties that are less susceptible but generally grafted varieties have a better chance if they are grafted onto good rootstock.

Planting avocados on sloping soils or in raised beds is a better position than on flat ground especially if it is in clay or has a clay sub soil. Gypsium is always worth adding . Adding drainage to the planting hole is also worthwhile. Use controlled irrigation such as below surface drip lines .

Using high nitrogen fertilizer is in my experience is not advisable unless it is just after harvesting. All nitrogen does is basically produce foliage . If it used during flowering it can make the flowers and future fruit drop off. If there is Phytophthora is present then the nitrogen in the soil the nitrogen will feeds it and is the last thing you need to give thePhytophthora a boost and the avocado tree will eventually die unless other treatment is administered. There are a lot of research being done about Phytophthora as it affects a lot of ornamental and commercial crops. Google Phytophthora for more info.

Edited by xen

Thanks J.

Dont know were else to buy. Directions to difficult to describe but their number is 044 311 796.

They usually have the trees ready to sell around march. I suggest you call them and book the trees you want, ask them when they will be ready, and call them again to check when they said they would be ready.

I've had the wife phone them but not been able to get through yet. I will keep trying as the wife has found an alternative source of grafted trees at Bt350 and I'd like to compare prices.

Ungraphted trees can bear, I have many, some bear after 15 years!

Better to find someone to teach You how to graft..I'm a failure at it.

Just attach the flowering branch to rootstock..with a perfectly sharp knife!

Nitrogen is important in growing stage..20-10-10..never heard of 46-*-*.

Plenty avoes in Hawaii..I think Hass is a trade name of Calavo..we call them by names of gardeners'. Japanese in our case. The dry ones are the prize..nutty?

We cut down a 10 meter tree and 5 sprouts came out..

Time to graft some sions onto those. I think?

Don't overdo the fertilizer..water is good..

Great posts..!

Aloha

Ungraphted trees can bear, I have many, some bear after 15 years!

I've just clocked up half a century, so I'm not sure if I have 15 years in me. Three years wait for grafted trees is about as far as I can see at this stage, although I think I'll leave a few trees grown from seed to do their own thing (just in case).

Those numbers represent the N. P. K . ratio ( nitrogen phosphorous potassium) in the fertilizer bag

Chemical fertilizers are harsh, for avocado use 15-15-15 very sparingly spread under the canopy circumference.

You will get better results if you can find some cow or pig manure and keep it moist under the canopy.

No sure where to shop in Korat but I noticed on the ouskirts there are countless garden supply stores; for one tree, one or two kg of 15-15-15 will last for a while.

Thank you.

Thank you. I assumed it was something like that.... when I was growing up, we just threw a few hay prong fulls of farmyard manure on our veggies, plants, etc. Job done!

^^ I'm. 66..not waiting..graft 'em!

They do like (I'm told) to cluster where seeds have fallen..are thrown..if You have lots of space.

I have a thirty year old tree..no fruit, yet. Better show him my chainsaw..lol

Great advice above..alohz

Edited by KonaRain

Thanks. I bought these guys when I was passing through Petchabun about 10 days ago. I thought they had sold me canon balls and that they were never going to ripen. They were all green this morning and then 3 of them decided to ripen throughout today. Any idea what type these are?

attachicon.gifavo2.jpg

I have got Avo trees on my property back in Queensland producing a similiar fruit. Round cannon ball like fruit. Mine are of the REED variety, but i cannot guarantee th

at these are the exact same.