Avoid reporting on Thaksin, PM tells media

webfact

I quite agree with this. Thaksin is just too polarizing for Thailand and besides there is nothing really newsworthy about him anymore.

If the public were not interested he would not be newsworthy and the PM would not feel him a threat.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If someone is facing lawsuits, the media should avoid reporting anything about him because when they do, questions arise as to why the government would not take action against him.

Well there you have it. The government must never be questioned. I never though he would say it so directly.

http://thediplomat.com/2014/10/thai-junta-beset-by-corruption-scandals/

"A few days ago, Prayuth appeared angry when Thais demanded the government increase transparency.”

“I beg you not to dig up anything. There is no benefit in so doing.”

“I must say that you cannot do that for the time being.” wai2.gif wai.gif

Excellent link, thank you. For those too busy to read the entire article, here's the final paragraph:

"But the case of Prayuth’s brother exposed the fact that military and political officials are equally sullied in corruption in Thailand. The only difference is that under military rule, requests for transparency and good governance often fall on deft ears."

Let's see how the Prayuth Fan Club responds to that.

• Like 2

I predict that shortly there will be a ban on mentioning his name or posting articles about him here on TVF

That would be grand!whistling.gif

I agree, the sight of Thaksin's face makes me want to puke, and the mention of his name reminds me of dead alleged drug dealers who weren't given an opportunity to go to the Olympics....and not return.

This is not about Thaksin, Yingluck, Suthep, Abhisit, but about freedom of speech!!

If the PM had ordered the media, to avoid reporting on Suthep, I would have reacted in exactly the same way!wai2.gif

• Like 2

I predict that shortly there will be a ban on mentioning his name or posting articles about him here on TVF ?

I agree, the sight of Thaksin's face makes me want to puke, and the mention of his name reminds me of dead alleged drug dealers who weren't given an opportunity to go to the Olympics....and not return.

But that's different, they were only drug runners and he (Thaksin) was one of our beloved ex PM's

• Like 1

This, in addition to already erasing Thaksin from kids school books, national reconciliation indeed.

The General is both envious and jealous of Thaksin.

"The main difference between envy and jealousy is that envy is an emotion related to coveting what someone else has, while jealousy is the emotion related to fear that something you have will be taken away by someone else."

Envious of Thaksin's enduring mega popularity.

Jealous that Thaksin will, in due course, take back government.

Ban, censor, suppress, threaten, harass, assault, demean, belittle and trample on the people as much as you like, this all only ends one way, with Thaksin Shinawatra back in the big chair and a great many Generals whiling away the hours in inactive posts.

I guess you must be the "re-incarnation" of some previous avatars?

You are the new "all adore" the Shin boss poster who turns up spouting how well loved Thaksin is. He ain't. His money has been.

That's not suggesting there are any others who are either.

• Like 2

I predict that shortly there will be a ban on mentioning his name or posting articles about him here on TVF ?

But that's different, they were only drug runners and he (Thaksin) was one of our beloved ex PM's

Alleged drug runners, ex judicial executions, no trials. Democracy and justice a la Shin.

• Like 1

I quite agree with this. Thaksin is just too polarizing for Thailand and besides there is nothing really newsworthy about him anymore.

You are quite wrong then.

The Juntas dislike for Thaksin stems from the fact that he unites too many Thais (and therefore continues to win election after election).

To say that there is nothing really newsworthy about Thaksin is even more wrong than your first error.

This country will eventually be back in Thaksin's hands and how that change of government occurs will affect millions of peoples lives.

There will most likely be more deaths and most certainly be more economic hardship before the ghastly yellows are finally done away with for good.

Thaksin is a convicted crook, with 15 outstanding court cases waiting his return. He can't return without an amnesty. Even if he waits for the statute of limitations to expire on the 15 outstanding cases, he still has to deal with the conviction and jumping bail.

Do you really think a Thaksin dictatorship would be any different? One based on corruption, nepotism and a feudal family wannabee dynasty, the other based on reactionary elitist and the military.

The only people who acquire wealth under a Shin government are the Shins, their relatives and pals.

• Like 1

I predict that shortly there will be a ban on mentioning his name or posting articles about him here on TVF

This is not about Thaksin, Yingluck, Suthep, Abhisit, but about freedom of speech!!

If the PM had ordered the media, to avoid reporting on Suthep, I would have reacted in exactly the same way!wai2.gif

Agreed. It looks like the Thought Police are ready to move into the mainstream. Thus far they have more or less restricted themselves to a particular issue, but expansion now beckons. Prayuth's velvet glove is slipping from his iron fist.

Yes. Free speech and investigative journalism.

Notice there are zero news reports for a long time on Red Bull boy. No media asking why there are no attempts to pursue and extradite him. Other cases involving the rich and famous also disappear off the media without any follow up.

It's like Europe 100 years ago when the activities of the aristocracy weren't reported on. All hushed up and kept "private". Always seems to be one law for the rich and one for everyone else.

In this case though, the Shin PR team want to get press coverage to keep their name in the limelight. In doing so many will start to ask how come his Thai passport hasn't been cancelled, how come Yingluck has been allowed to ignore the ombudsman's questions on the illegal issuing of that passport by her cousin, how come there isn't any attempt to extradite Thaksin. Then they might start to ask what about Red Bull Boy and all the other rich hiso elites who seem to be able to escape justice. Then they might start to question the legitimacy and efficacy of the judicial system, including enforcement.

Can't have any of that. Much better to go back to good old mushroom management.

• Like 2

The media should not publish pictures of anyone who has violated the law. Why have they reported it?" Prayut said.

"If someone is facing lawsuits, the media should avoid reporting anything about him because when they do, questions arise as to why the government would not take action against him."

Well that is going to make the papers mighty thin, I guess pretty near all government officials won't be in the newspapers any time soon.....

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"The media should not publish pictures of anyone who has violated the law"

So no more 'finger pointing' pictures at the crime scene?

The PM seems to be somewhat worried about Mr. Thaksin.

I suggest he has good reason to be concerned about the paymaster's activities and those of the pt udd and red shirt leaders.

Why? IMHO at the right time, they will do everything they possibly can, including lying / spinning / false reports / whatever to try derail reform and to stop change, and in doing so hope they can maintain the status quo of old and they can discredit the current government.

Go general go and watch your back.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That would be grand!whistling.gif alt=whistling.gif>

If you think that Thaksin was the only one involved in that you really have not paid any attention all. Names a little closer to the current seat of power were just as complicit.

...the 'holding your enemies close to you' saying is ringing in my head over all this.

Junta's should be smart enough to realise they have here the benefit of a free tracking tool - yet they complain - duh!!

This, in addition to already erasing Thaksin from kids school books, national reconciliation indeed.

The General is both envious and jealous of Thaksin.

"The main difference between envy and jealousy is that envy is an emotion related to coveting what someone else has, while jealousy is the emotion related to fear that something you have will be taken away by someone else."

Envious of Thaksin's enduring mega popularity.

Jealous that Thaksin will, in due course, take back government.

Ban, censor, suppress, threaten, harass, assault, demean, belittle and trample on the people as much as you like, this all only ends one way, with Thaksin Shinawatra back in the big chair and a great many Generals whiling away the hours in inactive posts.

I have to concur with the above as being a fair and balanced assessment of the most likely outcome

And if not Thaksin, it will be an anointed heir of some sort. I agree.

"The media should not publish pictures of anyone who has violated the law"

So no more 'finger pointing' pictures at the crime scene?

The PM seems to be somewhat worried about Mr. Thaksin.

I suggest he has good reason to be concerned about the paymaster's activities and those of the pt udd and red shirt leaders.

Why? IMHO at the right time, they will do everything they possibly can, including lying / spinning / false reports / whatever to try derail reform and to stop change, and in doing so hope they can maintain the status quo of old and they can discredit the current government.

Go general go and watch your back.

and if his draconian efforts to control information inspire a backlash even from those Democrats who had supported the coup-- so be it. Right Scorecard?

"The media should not publish pictures of anyone who has violated the law. Why have they reported it?" Prayut said.

My God man, this is the real world, many of the pictures in the news in today's world are of people who have broken the law at one time or another. Criminals and bad people sell newspapers and keep the masses glued to the TV.

Thaksin is smart, he has never been willing or able to let his personality and name slip into oblivion. He obviously still feels he has not passed his "best by date".

There is only one way to put a lid on the man and nobody would dare do so.

• Like 2

Democracy at the point of a gun never was a great option , the good PM still thinks he's the Junta from way back, if the person concerned is so much of a headache why not take steps to rectify that headache, a wise move would be to let sleeping dogs lie, as with Thaksin's return you could possibly need all the troops you can muster. coffee1.gif