Police say motorcyclist skids and falls to his death from Don Muang tollway

webfact

Pathetic comments.

A man has lost his life through a tragic accident. He may have young children, a wife, elderly parents whom he was supporting.

Agreed it is tragic, he also was not supposed to be on the tollway in the first place and would void any insurance.... even more of a tragedy for his family if he actually had insurance ( which is doubtful )

Why is it doubtful, what do you know about this man?

TIT don't be naive.

Pathetic comments.

A man has lost his life through a tragic accident. He may have young children, a wife, elderly parents whom he was supporting.

The point being, it would not have been an accident had he not been breaking the law.... ....

Perhaps he should have thought more of his wife, mother and dependants.

It was an accident. He did not chose to slip and fall.

Let's say that your wife and child are standing on the side of the road, waiting to cross the street at a zebra crossing. An out of control truck slams into them and crushes their skulls. Can I say that it was no accident and that they chose to be standing there?

"...after inspecting the CCTV cameras on the tollway, police found he secretly slipped onto the tollway." wai2.gifwai.gif

"...despite that motorcycle is banned on tollway."

Have a bit of trouble with reading comprehension do you?

facepalm.gif

No, no trouble with my comprehension, thank you.

It's obvious you don't ride a bike. Many over and under passes in Bkk are banned for motorcycles - despite that, many motorcycles still go on them. If you ride, you will understand why.

Nevertheless, banned or not, he slipped and fell. That's an accident, regardless of how you want to view it.

If you do not know the difference between the dangers of taking a small motorbike on a tollway or an overpass then you really do have problems with your comprehension.

We have all seen thousands of motorbikes illegally zipping over an overpass but I have never seen one motorbike (apart from Police bikes) on the tollways.

In fact police like motorcyclists to go over the overpasses because this helps push up their salaries, which is why they wait at the exit areas of the overpasses rather than at the entrances stopping the motorcyclists from entering.

However, the police would never allow a motorcycle to enter the tollways , and for very good reason.

So do you ride a ride a bike in Thailand?

How safe and knowledgeable do you think that you are?

Pathetic comments.

....and?

And it sucks to be insensitive to a tragedy. Although is normal that insensitive people can't recognize that.

Maybe he was a child molester and this "tragic" accident has saved the future of many young children? Who is to say what he may or may not do/have? Lighten up a little and learn to find the humour in something, I don't believe their comments were out of insensitivity.....

Pathetic comments.

The point being, it would not have been an accident had he not been breaking the law.... ....

I see. So if he has skidded and fell and killed himself on an allowed road, then it would have been an accident and that would be acceptable but because he was on the tollway (where he should not have been), it's not an accident? What's the logic in that? And what's the big deal about him being on the tollway? In many other countries, bikes are allowed on the tollway (Malaysia for eg)

It was an accident. He did not chose to slip and fall.

Let's say that your wife and child are standing on the side of the road, waiting to cross the street at a zebra crossing. An out of control truck slams into them and crushes their skulls. Can I say that it was no accident and that they chose to be standing there?

"...after inspecting the CCTV cameras on the tollway, police found he secretly slipped onto the tollway." wai2.gifwai.gif

"...despite that motorcycle is banned on tollway."

Have a bit of trouble with reading comprehension do you?

facepalm.gif

It's obvious you don't ride a bike. Many over and under passes in Bkk are banned for motorcycles - despite that, many motorcycles still go on them. If you ride, you will understand why.

Nevertheless, banned or not, he slipped and fell. That's an accident, regardless of how you want to view it.

If you do not know the difference between the dangers of taking a small motorbike on a tollway or an overpass then you really do have problems with your comprehension.

We have all seen thousands of motorbikes illegally zipping over an overpass but I have never seen one motorbike (apart from Police bikes) on the tollways.

In fact police like motorcyclists to go over the overpasses because this helps push up their salaries, which is why they wait at the exit areas of the overpasses rather than at the entrances stopping the motorcyclists from entering.

However, the police would never allow a motorcycle to enter the tollways , and for very good reason.

Yes, I do ride a bike in Thailand. And I don't find it any more dangerous on tollways or overpasses than on many other highways or normal roads.

The reason you don't usually see any motorbikes on the tollways is because it's very difficult to get onto it (toll booths serve as a barrier). However, it's very easy to mistakenly enter the tollway on HIghway 7 from Pattaya to Bangkok as there are no barriers or even signs.

A bike can slide as easily on a normal (allowed) road as on a tollway. Most motorcycle fatalities in Thailand happens on allowed roads, not on tollways or overpasses.

Pathetic comments.

I see. So if he has skidded and fell and killed himself on an allowed road, then it would have been an accident and that would be acceptable but because he was on the tollway (where he should not have been), it's not an accident? What's the logic in that? And what's the big deal about him being on the tollway? In many other countries, bikes are allowed on the tollway (Malaysia for eg)

I believe we are talking of a smaller bike here, probably a scooter or step through.

He would not have fallen quite so far had he been at ground level.

Do you believe there might be a reason why motorbikes are not permitted or they do so just to be difficult?

Yes, I do ride a bike in Thailand. And I don't find it any more dangerous on tollways or overpasses than on many other highways or normal roads.

The reason you don't usually see any motorbikes on the tollways is because it's very difficult to get onto it (toll booths serve as a barrier). However, it's very easy to mistakenly enter the tollway on HIghway 7 from Pattaya to Bangkok as there are no barriers or even signs.

A bike can slide as easily on a normal (allowed) road as on a tollway. Most motorcycle fatalities in Thailand happens on allowed roads, not on tollways or overpasses.

Well I ride a bike in Thailand too and I do find it far more dangerous on tollways and overpasses, mostly due to the way other vehicles drive without regard for bikes. I make some effort not to be on major roads, I avoid Sukhumvit for example preferring the railway line bypass. The HGVs are my concern.

There is a sign on the Northbound entrance to Hwy 7 from Sukhumvit, if you care to look better, I agree you can enter from the Southbound carriageway without seeing one.

There is a reason most motorcycle accidents happen on 'allowed' roads and not overpasses or tollroads (non-allowed) which should be very obvious to you. It is NOT that those roads are safer to them!

A tollway is a road where you pay a toll to go on.

So you state that you don't find riding a motorbike on a tollway any more dangerous than normal roads, this must mean that you have driven a bike on a tollway.

I do not believe this for one second, no one would come onto a forum and openly admit to being a total brainless idiot.

If you are riding a motorbike in Thailand you should have a driving license and with your level of knowledge about riding a motorbike you could not possibly have passed a driving test (of any kind).

It is fools like you that cause accidents and problems on the Thai roadways.

Edited by Chairman Of The Board

again a bunch of whiners, never have i known so many visa lawbreakers complain about a dead guys sneaking on the hiway, how dare him. i can understand why thais do not like "whites". hell i am white and i dont like the gaggle of old fart gossip mongers complaining every day about everything. dudes loosen up the seat belts on your barstools, i think your getting gas :-)

Since police took no action on the law breaker, God have to take the matter into his own hand.

So you state that you don't find riding a motorbike on a tollway any more dangerous than normal roads, this must mean that you have driven a bike on a tollway.

I do not believe this for one second, no one would come onto a forum and openly admit to being a total brainless idiot.

If you are riding a motorbike in Thailand you should have a driving license and with your level of knowledge about riding a motorbike you could not possibly have passed a driving test (of any kind).

Apart from paying a toll to get onto a tollway, what differences are there between a tollway and a highway? Same speeds, same surface conditions, same cars, same drivers. In fact, the surface conditions on a tollway are much better and thus safer for motorcycles. In many other countries, bikes are allowed on tollways - what is your comment on this?

Yes, I have mistakenly gone on the tollway Northbound Pattaya - Bangkok. So has many other riders. Reason is that unless you have travelled this route often, you do not realise that in the space of 5 seconds, you are already on the tollway and there is no turn off. There are no toll booths at the entrance to the tollway. There are no signs prohibiting bikes from entering. There is nothing to indicate that there will be a toll plaza a few kms down the road. The signs in fact would make a biker think that it is allowed as it indicates clearly a "Blue" tollway as well as normal "Green" A and B roads. Do you know this road well? If you don't, you should not be making sweeping comments.

I do ride a motorbike in Thailand and I do have a driving license (one for a bike and one for a car). My level of knowledge has been sufficient to allow me to pass driving tests in Australia, Asia and the UK and I have driven safely without incident for over 30 years from Australia to America and Europe in between.

On what do you base your judgement that people like me cause accidents and problems on the roads? Because we think that tollways and some overpasses should be opened to certain bikes? And that you think tollways and overpasses are dangerous for bikes? Not sure if you live in Bangkok but there is an overpass / bridge that runs on top of Rama 9 / Kamphaeng Phet. Bikes are allowed on it Eastbound from town towards Suvarnabhumi but not Westbound into Bkk. Can you think of a reason for this? (Hint : there is no such thing as logic in Thailand).

I take it from your posts that you don't ride a bike and therefore have no inkling of the focus and attentions of bikers when on the roads. You will most likely therefore disagree with my comment that bikers are probably better motorists than car drivers as we scan the roads more often and we are more aware of potential hazards, simply because the downside is greater.

Well I ride a bike in Thailand too and I do find it far more dangerous on tollways and overpasses, mostly due to the way other vehicles drive without regard for bikes. I make some effort not to be on major roads, I avoid Sukhumvit for example preferring the railway line bypass. The HGVs are my concern.

There is a sign on the Northbound entrance to Hwy 7 from Sukhumvit, if you care to look better, I agree you can enter from the Southbound carriageway without seeing one.

There is a reason most motorcycle accidents happen on 'allowed' roads and not overpasses or tollroads (non-allowed) which should be very obvious to you. It is NOT that those roads are safer to them!

I can agree with your opinion that tollways and overpasses can be more dangerous (than normal roads) for bikes. This is because speeds tend to be generally higher on the tollways and the chances of more severe injuries on an overpass (such as falling to the ground below). But having said this, why then do most other countries allow bikes on tollways and overpasses?

You seem a bit confused about Hwy 7. First off, you can't really join it from Sukhumvit (I would be glad to be corrected). You join Hwy 7 from Rama 9 going towards Suvarnabhumi. You can also join it by turning off Thanon Onnut / Lat Krabang, However, it is unlikely that any biker would make this mistake.

Northbound however is a different story. The first part of Hwy 7 from Pattaya is allowed for bikes. It is only when you reach the Chonburi bypass road that bikes need to peel off left. Unfortunately, this is not signposted Chonburi or even Chonburi bypass. In fact, if you want to go to Chonburi, the signs tell you to go straight. Worse, this is a Green highway sign, not the Blue tollway sign. There are no signs prohibiting bikes from going straight and no indication that it is a tollway ahead.

However, all these is off topic. I agree that the motorcyclist should not have been on the DM tollway. This is a dangerous road, even for cars (there was a car that crashed into a barrier and fell off this tollway recently). My original post was that the driver skidded and fell (sadly to his death) and this qualifies as an accident.

Apart from paying a toll to get onto a tollway, what differences are there between a tollway and a highway? Same speeds, same surface conditions, same cars, same drivers. In fact, the surface conditions on a tollway are much better and thus safer for motorcycles. In many other countries, bikes are allowed on tollways - what is your comment on this?

Yes, I have mistakenly gone on the tollway Northbound Pattaya - Bangkok. So has many other riders. Reason is that unless you have travelled this route often, you do not realise that in the space of 5 seconds, you are already on the tollway and there is no turn off. There are no toll booths at the entrance to the tollway. There are no signs prohibiting bikes from entering. There is nothing to indicate that there will be a toll plaza a few kms down the road. The signs in fact would make a biker think that it is allowed as it indicates clearly a "Blue" tollway as well as normal "Green" A and B roads. Do you know this road well? If you don't, you should not be making sweeping comments.

I do ride a motorbike in Thailand and I do have a driving license (one for a bike and one for a car). My level of knowledge has been sufficient to allow me to pass driving tests in Australia, Asia and the UK and I have driven safely without incident for over 30 years from Australia to America and Europe in between.

On what do you base your judgement that people like me cause accidents and problems on the roads? Because we think that tollways and some overpasses should be opened to certain bikes? And that you think tollways and overpasses are dangerous for bikes? Not sure if you live in Bangkok but there is an overpass / bridge that runs on top of Rama 9 / Kamphaeng Phet. Bikes are allowed on it Eastbound from town towards Suvarnabhumi but not Westbound into Bkk. Can you think of a reason for this? (Hint : there is no such thing as logic in Thailand).

I take it from your posts that you don't ride a bike and therefore have no inkling of the focus and attentions of bikers when on the roads. You will most likely therefore disagree with my comment that bikers are probably better motorists than car drivers as we scan the roads more often and we are more aware of potential hazards, simply because the downside is greater.

If a road does not have toll booths and is free to travel on then it is not a tollway.

No I don't ride a bike in Thailand.

I used to until i realized how dangerous it can be, thanks to drivers such as yourself.

How do people like you cause accidents, because you drive and then think later.

You have no logic nor road sense.

To be honest, from what you have posted on here, I cannot believe that you have ridden bikes for over 30 years and I can guarantee that you have not ridden SAFELY for over 30 years.

Motorcyclists or their passengers account for between 70 to 80% of fatalities on the roads of Thailand.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

If you think that bikers are better motorists than car drivers in Thailand then you are quite obviously riding your bike in a state of ignorance, so does that really make you a safe rider?

post-223153-0-66201700-1415171314_thumb.

post-223153-0-20213600-1415171322_thumb.

post-223153-0-27231700-1415171352_thumb.

post-223153-0-94696000-1415171364_thumb.

post-223153-0-66952600-1415171385_thumb.

post-223153-0-94073400-1415171393_thumb.

post-223153-0-48985900-1415171402_thumb.

i admit it !

i f#%$ked up, i was recently delivering a bike from ubon to pattaya and ran out of gps battery just outside bangkok, missed a turn wound up miles out of my way and ended up on a tollway, the new onramps had just been opened and there was just a sign saying pattaya/chonburi, me ,being a muppet, took this road and wound up on a delightful road, i get stopped at the toll gates and i played dum, pointed at a the gps, said "bor kow jai" a lot waved my licence at them, issued in ubon i might add, and they just shook they heads at the crazy falung and let me go.

by the way , it was raining and dark, i ended up on the expressway down to patts, delivered the bike and survived to tell the tale.

i have been riding for approximately 43 years , have fallen off a lot, hit cars, trees, a kangaroo and the odd bird , but i certainly was not worried about riding on a tollway.

i also ride both a fino and a bike bike around in UBON'S peak hour traffic, now that is scary shit.

it is up to the individuals personal perception of danger !

like i will not scuba dive as i know as soon as i hit the water a 50 foot shark will eat me !

so it is hard to say how dangerous it is if you have never done it.

rob

• Like 1

If a road does not have toll booths and is free to travel on then it is not a tollway.

No I don't ride a bike in Thailand.

I used to until i realized how dangerous it can be, thanks to drivers such as yourself.

How do people like you cause accidents, because you drive and then think later.

You have no logic nor road sense.

To be honest, from what you have posted on here, I cannot believe that you have ridden bikes for over 30 years and I can guarantee that you have not ridden SAFELY for over 30 years.

Motorcyclists or their passengers account for between 70 to 80% of fatalities on the roads of Thailand.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

If you think that bikers are better motorists than car drivers in Thailand then you are quite obviously riding your bike in a state of ignorance, so does that really make you a safe rider?

Your first sentence shows your ignorance and lack of knowledge of Thai roads. You joined TV less than a month ago but I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you have been living in Thailand for the last 30 years.

It is apparent however, that for these 30 years, you have been living in the back of Nakhon Nowhere.

Do you know how far away the Lat Krabang toll booth is from the entrance of the tollway (Southbound)? Do you know how far away the Bang Chang toll booth is from the entrance of the tollway (Northbound)? Do you know how far away the Rama 9 toll booth is from the entrance of the tollway (Westbound)? Your answer has to be NO, else you would not have made the first statement that you made.

post-143305-0-11002200-1415225319_thumb.

post-143305-0-53122200-1415225434_thumb.

The rest of your post is not worth an answer.

road laws are there for a reason, if people break the laws and die because of it then the fault lies with them, sorry but thats a fact. There are no excuses, you do something illegal then you also have to shoulder the blame. I drive and ride and have for many years, I also have a heavy truck licence, when I drive/ride anything I obey the rules, you think they dont apply to you or that they are not fair for you so you ignore them you are an idiot and should not be on the road at all. The reason most people die on the roads is due to idiots that decide the rules dont apply to them, they do it their way and thats what kills them and all the other innocent people that are obeying the rules. If you cannot abide by them then do not put other peoples lives at risk due to your arrogance, we dont give a damn what you want, its the laws that have the final say. Was the man that died an idiot, yes he was, he made a decision that cost him his life, same as all the other drop kicks that think the laws dont apply to them. I am sorry for his family but not for him being stupid, he took a risk and it didnt work.

Just so that I understand where you are coming from.

The motorcyclist broke the law by going on the tollway - yes, I agree.

He had an accident (skidded and fell) and died as a result. But because he broke the law in the first instance, it's som na na?

It's not like he committed a dastardly crime (raping and murdering someone) and in his haste to get away, he ran onto the street and got run over by a car, right?

@Chairman of the Board

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/773150-wind-deflectors/#entry8621798

You drive at 160 kph along the Bang Na Trad expressway and you accuse me of being the kind of motorists that causes accidents? Who's the brainless idiot that would come onto a public forum and expressly declares that he happily breaks the law?

Gweiloman, I have received a PM from a mutual friend who has informed me of the pedigree of your bike riding.

I do apologize that I questioned your riding abilities. wai.gif

However, I still maintain that the tollways are not safe for bikers.

I do understand that you can ride a bike and would probably be very safe on the tollways but the average Thai biker on the average Thai bike (step through chicken chaser) would not be able to handle the tollways safely.

When you factor in the speed of the other drivers, the crosswinds on the elevated roads and the ‘back draft’ from lorries, the average Thai biker would find this too daunting and would become an even greater danger.

Just one small correction from your post, I have ridden motor bikes for over 30 years but not always in Thailand (I haven’t lived here that long).

Oh, and as for the 160kph on the Bangna Trad highway, That is not an unusual speed on that road, if I went any slower nearly every vehicle would be whizzing past me.

Also given your track experience, I would guess that you may have pushed the speed limits in Thailand once or twice. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Gweiloman, I have received a PM from a mutual friend who has informed me of the pedigree of your bike riding.

I do apologize that I questioned your riding abilities. wai.gif

However, I still maintain that the tollways are not safe for bikers.

I do understand that you can ride a bike and would probably be very safe on the tollways but the average Thai biker on the average Thai bike (step through chicken chaser) would not be able to handle the tollways safely.

When you factor in the speed of the other drivers, the crosswinds on the elevated roads and the ‘back draft’ from lorries, the average Thai biker would find this too daunting and would become an even greater danger.

Just one small correction from your post, I have ridden motor bikes for over 30 years but not always in Thailand (I haven’t lived here that long).

Oh, and as for the 160kph on the Bangna Trad highway, That is not an unusual speed on that road, if I went any slower nearly every vehicle would be whizzing past me.

Also given your track experience, I would guess that you may have pushed the speed limits in Thailand once or twice. thumbsup.gif

Peace. Any friend of a friend is a friend :)

I fully agree with your points about the dangers for small bikes on some elevated roads, especially tollways. Personally, I would not take my PCX onto the DM tollway myself and when I do go over the Ramkhamhaeng overpass, I stick to the middle in between the two car lanes rather than ride along the low barrier. It's a matter of assessing the situation and risks and apply defensive riding accordingly.

Of course I've pushed the speed limits in Thailand and a lot more than once or twice. So has 99.99% of motorists who post here. We break the law, sometimes we pay the ultimate price but to say that this motorcyclist deserves it (not by you but by another poster) is a bit OTT I think.

Oh, and the fact remains that even though he broke the law and even though he should not have been on the tollway, it was an accident and I feel sorry for those that he leaves behind. There are a lot of other motorists that deserves to crash (based on their stupid, reckless and idiotic driving and riding) but I would not wish death upon them.

Cheers

• Like 1