Robbery and Attempted Rape of Tourist Near Khaosan Road

Lite Beer

Back when I was single in BKK, I knew some girls and all of these attempted and successful rapes etc... brought back memories of how these girls protected themselves. They would almost never take a taxi if they did not personally know the driver and pay the driver(s) they used most often extra money to make sure they got where they were going...waited or came back to pick them up and to make sure they got home safely. This is back in the day, but I'm certain their safety tactics more than likely have not changed as they know how dangerous it is for a girl to be out alone. For men, it can be safe if you know what not to do, but there's a lot of quality tourists that come here thinking they are the King of the world because they make more money than others and stir up problems with excessive drinking and for the life of me I don't understand, but fighting over a working girl like she's the only fish in the sea etc...which promotes hatred from Thai Girls and the men they pay for protection and then you have the males who can have a good time, but understand the do's and don'ts of Thailand who are generally safe most of the time. It basically all comes down to knowing what and what not to do in Thailand, but in the 9 years I've been here, I've started to see big changes. I feel unsafe and many thoughts about moving have been running through my head lately and I really hate this. I found my paradise and felt at home; now the paradise I found is disappearing quickly and I don't feel at home any longer and thoughts of protecting my wife and daughter make me think it's better to move.

Thailand is becoming something awful and if the Thai Government wants to keep the slogan the "Land of Smiles", they'll have to go through the "Land of No-Tourists" until they can successfully tackle everything that Thailand has become and make sure that they can attract quality tourists in the future.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are commenting like these acts only happen in Thailand.

Sure I'm a male, but I feel safer in BKK than I do in most other western cities I've visited.

You are safe here until your not.I see so many wondering around in total ignorance "feeling safe" Its easy to let your guard down when away from home as everything is out of the ordinary so you rarely notice when something is brewing.

These crimes are senseless and are sadly part of the world we all live in.

Remember people stay safe and stay aware.

I agree, except for "These crimes are senseless". These crimes are premeditated. For as long as there is such disparity between the wealth of the perpetrators and the victims, you can expect they will continue. Harsher punishments for the criminals may deter a few. But others who are still determined to have a go at us, may be more inclined to kill their victims, rather than hit-and-run.

With a population of some 90 million, most of whom are good people, it stands to reason that there will still be a large number of criminally minded individuals on the prowl.

Some arbitrary figures:

Take Norway with a population of approximately 4,000,000. If say the percentage of lifestyle criminals were 0.5%, this amounts to 20,000 individuals. 20,000 individuals who are at any time looking to steal from shops, assault including rape, steal cars, mug people in the streets, vandalize for whatever reason, kill etc. (And I can say that there parts of Oslo which are off-limits at night for single people, women AND men.)

Translate this 0.5% to 90,000,000, and we have 450.000 .... Watch your back!

I will put it to you that, in Norway, crimes such as vandalism and shop lifting involve a higher number of wealthier people than you would care to imagine. People who don't need to steal to survive, and youth from financially comfortable families who vandalize as a sport.

Robbery in Thailand, by Thai nationals will at least in part, be inspired by the proliferation of relatively wealthy foreigners. The life-is-cheap mentality that slams a rock into a victim's head .. well, can this compared with the numerous shootings in the USA? I don't know.

I sure hope the victim in the OP's article recovers without permanent injuries. What a hideous experience.

Notes:

1. My suggestion of .5% was for illustration purposes.

2. In Australia one of my work appointments was with Department of Correctional Services, with a lot of direct contact with felons in community service projects, and also required numerous court attendances.

3. A partner of 10 years in Norway was a store manager of a major supermarket chain. I was often there to see shop lifters being apprehended. The pin-up wall in the office featured security camera images of offenders. Only a few were down-and-out junkies.

Agreed!

But be careful, if I remember well, under martial law you can't be a group of 5 (or more)! w00t.gif

Tourists are so naive when they come here. How can someone mesmerize you with a smile one minute and take you for everything you have the next? It's so sad to see it in the news everyday.

Tourists... never go out in a group of friends less than three.

Back when I was single in BKK, I knew some girls and all of these attempted and successful rapes etc... brought back memories of how these girls protected themselves. They would almost never take a taxi if they did not personally know the driver and pay the driver(s) they used most often extra money to make sure they got where they were going...waited or came back to pick them up and to make sure they got home safely. This is back in the day, but I'm certain their safety tactics more than likely have not changed as they know how dangerous it is for a girl to be out alone. For men, it can be safe if you know what not to do, but there's a lot of quality tourists that come here thinking they are the King of the world because they make more money than others and stir up problems with excessive drinking and for the life of me I don't understand, but fighting over a working girl like she's the only fish in the sea etc...which promotes hatred from Thai Girls and the men they pay for protection and then you have the males who can have a good time, but understand the do's and don'ts of Thailand who are generally safe most of the time. It basically all comes down to knowing what and what not to do in Thailand, but in the 9 years I've been here, I've started to see big changes. I feel unsafe and many thoughts about moving have been running through my head lately and I really hate this. I found my paradise and felt at home; now the paradise I found is disappearing quickly and I don't feel at home any longer and thoughts of protecting my wife and daughter make me think it's better to move.

Thailand is becoming something awful and if the Thai Government wants to keep the slogan the "Land of Smiles", they'll have to go through the "Land of No-Tourists" until they can successfully tackle everything that Thailand has become and make sure that they can attract quality tourists in the future.

Are you sure that it's Thailand that has changed, and not just your perception of it?

True. But if you look at the statistics, rape and murder is much more prevalent here (although gun crime is really quite bad in the USA, that's the exception rather than the rule for western countries). Fact.

Couldn't resist turning this story into an America bashing one could you?

Haha. Defensive much?

Last time I quoted crime statistics, someone came back quoting the terrible gun statistics from the USA as proof that Thailand was no worse than the west.. So pointing out that USA is the exception is totally legitimate and prevents muddying the issue.

Even it hurts your poor little feelings.

Terrible gun statistics from the USA. Your statement is Hogwash, pure and simple. Violent crime according to the FBI, is actually on the downward trend over the past Decade. Plus, most feel that it is due to the fact that more and more States are allowing CCW's or Carry Concealed Weapons for people that have NO criminal history and passing a thorough back ground check and weapon knowledge and firearm usage. Even my Daughter (Single Female) has a CCW and carries a Sig-Sauer 9mm. A lot of the Headlines unfortunately blast out the carnage that does happen now and again but very seldom the prevention of criminal activity that was stopped by someone that was armed. Furthermore, The 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution guarantees the "Right" of fireman ownership granted by the Founding Father's of the USA and more recently upheld by a US Supreme Court ruling. More importantly, is the Fact that the Founding Fathers also gave the Citizens of the USA the RESPONSIBILITY to OVERTHROW an OPPRESSIVE Government. Americans are the only people on Planet earth that has this clause in their Countries foundation. Now, I ask YOU, would this be the real reason some groups are calling for firearm ownership restrictions? I doubt if the Sheeple would be able to do anything if one day, they stormed Washington (D)istrict of ©riminals with pitch forks and shovels. Just look at it this way when you want to comment about guns in the USA. Two hungry Polar Bears and a Penguin voted on what to have for Lunch. A well armed Penguin disputed the results. The facts please about guns in America, not HOGWASH!

Sure I'm a male, but I feel safer in BKK than I do in most other western cities I've visited.

People are commenting probably because this is a forum about Thailand. Stroll on!

And careful of that illusion that all appears safe here... newbies often tend to make that mistake and get complacent. If visitors would read the Thai tabloids, they probably wouldn't go out again.

Thailand is as safe as anywhere if you keep in mind two things. Stay sober, and mind your own business. Abide by that, and you will be 99% safe here.

For all the horror stories like this, I still have confidence in the decency of ordinary Thai folk. We always hear about the crime but there is little focus on those who provide assistance and, as most of us know, help can be expected and is offered freely when trouble comes. These events ARE becoming more prevalent but they horrify Thais as much if not more than farang.

Yes, there is little doubt that the the vast majority are decent people and many will take personal risks to intercede when they see crimes being committed.

However, it should be kept in mind that as Thailand's economy worsens and more people are out out of work, this behavior will increase. Not long ago, the BKK police announced they were getting ready for an increase in crime due to people losing too much in gambling without enough money to pay the bookies. Farang seem to be perceived as an easy target to rob and if the intended victim is a women then it seems that the thinking, well, why not rape her while we are at it. Low impulse control combined with alcohol, Farang as accessible symbols of "haves;" and a justice system that, by default, places Farang at the bottom of any sort of equity measure.

It would interesting to know the bad guys every think about the consequences of their behavior if they are caught. Anyone have any fact based information on this question?

However, it should be kept in mind that as Thailand's economy worsens and more people are out out of work, this behavior will increase.

More people are out of work?

Thailand has an unemployment rate of less than 1%, one of the lowest in the world.

Although I don't like to see too much police presence on the street, I'm from NYC (police state), I am mesmerized why you rarely, if ever, see a beat cop in Bangkok, especially in these tourist areas. Correct me if I'm wrong....has anyone here seen many?

For the Thai police, it is raking in money from checkpoints by

day, and drinking in karaoke bars at night. So no time to

do patrolling of the streets......

When I first came here a long time ago, I sort of had this sense that

there was an unwritten agreement between criminals and the police.

Meaning the criminals knew not to <deleted> with tourists, as that would

endanger a multibillion baht money flow. So if they wanted to rob

someone, best to stick with robbing Thai people. But somehow

that fear of the police has gone away. But as someone noted,

if drugs are involved then there is little thought process occurring...

Very True!

Let's call them "Quality Police" shall we... The criminals in Thailand are in one way or another associated by money or friendship with the "Quality Police". If the "Quality Police" raid someone's room to find gambling or potential drug dealing, it's because most likely the person in that room got on the bad side of someone they know who has an agreement with the "Quality Police". The "Quality Police" gets the tip off, their business associate or friend get's a small reward + they will overlook some of the bad things they do and when the "Quality Police" arrive at the room and find either of what I stated above, they will either take whatever money was found and or drugs and if they cannot do a further payoff, they will take them to the monkey house. By the time they have their court date, the case will be dismissed due to lack of evidence and they are back out on the street. Meanwhile, the "Quality Police" divi up what was taken and if drugs were involved, they begin distribution of these drugs through their business associate or friend and that friend or business associate once again makes a bit of money but the bulk of everything goes to the "Quality Police" and the cycle begins again and again and again and again infinitely...

You don't see the "Quality Police" walking their beat because they're too busy with their side work, which I have just written about above or as you say, at a karaoke bar spending others people's money.

They're absence in presence is definitely not due to being under-cover...that's for certain!

Sad but all of this is true, so how safe do you feel now?

1. More and more Thais unemployed,

2. When employed, the vast majority earns little, very little,

3. At the same time, "Thai elite" shows huge wealth (previous ministers, current government members, etc.),

4. Law enforcement is close to nil,

5. Tourists are perceived as having lots of money,

Now, do your maths whistling.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Oh dear...what has become of Thailand? The Land of smiles has become the Land of crimes..

The level and brutality of violence is shocking. Personally I think a lot of this is down to yaba, that is an evil drug.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Btw, i also like to live in Thailand, but i have the feeling that it's getting less safe recently.. To play it down doesn't make a lot of sense, does it ?

I'm not trying to 'play it down'. Please don't try to attribute any agenda to what I post.

MauGR1: Not accusing you, in fact your " agenda " , if you have any, may be perfectly legit.... I was just intrigued by your incessant posting on this subject.

---------------------

'Incessant posting'?

Sorry, but is there something wrong with me having an opinion on the matter?

Fair enough, i guess we will agree to disagree then.

Thailand is a beautiful country, the climate is great and it is not too expensive... the same can be said about many other countries in the world, but, i have to say, what brought me and many others to visit and choose to live here, was the good-natured people and the perception of safety.

At the moment, i am doubting if i made the right choice, but then, where i come from, it's pretty safe, although admittedly a bit boring.

I'm sorry, but I'm squarely with Soibiker on this one. Did you ever consider the possibility that Thailand was not as safe as you thought it to be when you first arrived? In your first years here, what was your source of information about crime? Mainstream papers... or did you also get your information from social media (including sites like TV)? Did 'social media' even exist back then?

Think about it. This sort of crime would likely not see print in the Nation or Bangkok Post. It would definitely not make the 9 o'clock news. So back when you arrived--assuming you've been in Thailand long enough to actually see what you think is a trend in crime--you would have not been aware of such things taking place.So you would naturally think Thailand is a relatively safer place than it is today when we get information about even the smallest of violations (farangs arrested for working illegally, possessing cannabis, etc.), not to mention violent crimes like this one.

[We also tend to more easily recall recent events than past events, which creates a false perception of trends in one direction or another - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Availability_heuristic. Then, when we all talk about having the same perception of a trend, we reinforce this possibly mistaken belief - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Availability_cascade.] p.s. I don't have an agenda ... just a humble psychologist fascinated by the imperfections of human thought and perception].

• Like 1

Poor lady, hope she recovers from the injury fast and recovers from the shock.

Well this is the actual picture of the land of smile. Many such incidents at times does not get reported for various reasons.

All I can say is let's stay alart and be vigilant and stay safe.

Happy holidays to every one out there on vacation to thailand

Are you sure that it's Thailand that has changed, and not just your perception of it?

My perception has definitely changed, but it's all due to the changes occurring in Thailand! You won't be able to get me on this...when I came to Thailand, I finally felt at home, but you would have to be blind to not see Thailand changing for the worst over these last 9 years, which is why like you said, my perception has began to change, but not for the reason you think...it's for obvious reasons that you seem to be blinded by.

My perception has definitely changed, but it's all due to the changes occurring in Thailand! You won't be able to get me on this...when I came to Thailand, I finally felt at home, but you would have to be blind to not see Thailand changing for the worst over these last 9 years, which is why like you said, my perception has began to change, but not for the reason you think...it's for obvious reasons that you seem to be blinded by.

In what way has Thailand changed 'for the worst'? What are these 'obvious reasons'?

There are predators and prey where ever you go. It not just Thailand but When in area your not familiar with it is best to be on alert at all times. Also is better not to bring attention to yourself blend in with the crowd. I walked through some of the most dangerous place in the world and here to tell about would I do it again ? Hell no I was young dumb and extremely lucky. But being older and wiser now I keep my voice down but ready at a moments notice to defend myself. But these newbie's are beyond dumb they trust way to easy. General rule for Survival: there are two people I trust one is myself the other is dead and I keep an eye on me. Also never carry more money than you plan to spend and get cheap wallet with Kohsan special ID for that wallet so if robbed hand over wallet and split. Better to lose a few baht than your life. Also good to have cheap phone you can lose.

• Like 1

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head--there is the Thailand experienced by us guys and the other one experienced by females.

You know some of these Thai guys are actually lucky. I ran into a muay thai fighter (female) the other week (farang female) and she frightened the &lt;deleted&gt; out of me. I think if he had tried it on with her (although I don't know who would want to) then he would have found himself in hospital.

• Like 1

However, it should be kept in mind that as Thailand's economy worsens and more people are out out of work, this behavior will increase.

More people are out of work?

Thailand has an unemployment rate of less than 1%, one of the lowest in the world.

You failed to read the entire sentence, and if you believe that is a real number you are living in a fantasy. I go into HomePro and see at least 3 employees for every customer and this seems to be true of most of the mall retailers. The bubble in the condo market will break eventually; we will see where the tourism numbers end up this high season, but it does not look too good. In CM I see small businesses closing every day and my wife's circle of friends confirms this. The government now wants to teach SME owners how to do accounting so that they can compete? Give me a break.

What makes you think the statistics are false?

How does the fact that HomePro employs a lot of people mean that unemployment is high?

2.30am on a weekday, crime can happen in any major city, not that it is good or acceptable but you cannot be too hard on Thailand as it happens in the developed countries the same. What should presumably an attractive female be walking around on her own. Some might say my comment is sexist but it is common sense for ladies to have company late at night. I would make sure I did if I was a lady.

• Like 1

Yea you got here 30 years before the majority of morons, alcoholics and sex tourists arrived. I can understand why the Thais have changed. (1) obnoxious tourist and expats,(2) more dumb foreigners to take advantage of,(3) foreigners tossing their money around big spender syndrome look at me i am rich attitudes,(4) Thais are coping foreigners the way they dress, nasty attitudes, more selfish greed. They are really sick of us and i can understand why. Having said that walking around at 2:30 am shows a serious lack of common sense no different than flashing too much skin bikinis at the beach while a bunch of Thai hide behind a tree and look. Foreigners need to take some responsibility here,

We dont talk like it has not happend before,,Most of us on here,are now pissed of with thailand,We came here 30 years ago,when they had nothing,As a tourist then,You were safe,and the smiles were true,I tell people now ,TO STAY AWAY,There is nothing good to talk about thailand any more,And now thailand is trying to show the world that they are trying to change ,They dont give a shit,About you me or anybody else,MONEY number 1,,And there loosing it by the billions,,Thats why these crimes are being reported more,They only report what suits them,

How come whenever there's a crime here, people react like it's never happened before?

When was Thailand a crime-free paradise? When was any country?

SoiBiker .. there is a campaign in Australia for a girl that was gang-raped, 10 years ago, to receive her full compensation, which has now been halved (by politicians/bureaucrats) while our illustrious prime minister's daughter received a much high amount towards her further study at a place that the prime minister contributed a significant of tax-payers funds to ... and the girl who informed the media has been to Court and looking at a jail term ...

What does that have to do with the question I was asking?

walking around in a bikini does help matters either. ever notice how most Thai women dress at the beach unless its a bar girl with a foreigner. voluptuous proportions you mean their gut and chest hanging out ?

Suddenly Thai males are getting horny and have a violent penchant for western women?

Its a well known fact that Thai men find western women very attractive due to their more voluptuous proportions in general and often fantasize about it after watching too much western porn/hollywood movies but this sudden rash of violence if not explainable as copy cat crimes is really weird.

Drug use cannot explain the rationale to target only farang women. The laws really need to get serious about all kinds of rape crimes.

Chemical castration would be a good start.

• Like 1

I can see your point, and once again I'm not female but I think walking alone at 2 in the morning being a female wouldn't be advisable in any SE Asian country or probably western country.

I'm for equality of gender and race and I kind of resent the implication that half the population of the planet should restrict it's freedom because the other half can't control itself huh.png

And please, don't start up with all the 'well that's the way it is' comments. It's the way it shouldn't be and needs to change.

Well, y'know something. Until that day comes this is just the way it is.

This will go on and even become worse as long as they do not punish more severely for rape and attempting rape. And this is not only about Thailand. Every woman that is attacked should report (like this one did).

For those that say that a woman can not walk on the streets at night, I think YOU have a problem and that somewhere you agree with the thug that attack these women. And it is because of people like you that some woman do not dare to report this type of crime. Do not forget : they are the VICTIM.

Goes to show you, if Thaksin still in office, the problems like this would not exist, now it is getting to total kayos, with drugs, corruption, or at least doing nothing about it, this is the way a country goes all the way to Hell.

"This means that almost 10 per cent of all murders of Britons abroad are committed in Thailand – a chilling figure, given that Thailand comprises only 0.6 per cent of all foreign travel from UK shores"

So, if you're a Brit you are 16 times more likely to be killed here than elsewhere. To those who say it's the same everywhere, it's obviously not.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/with-so-many-britons-murdered-in-thailand-why-does-our-government-not-warn-of-the-dangers-faced-there-769640.html

• Like 1

Most tourists coming to Thailand know that its not safe to walk the streets alone and once this story gets published abroad that will give tourists more information with regards how safe Thailand really is, but we cant take away the police speed at arresting the alleged perpetrators well done to the BIB possibly if they were more visible on the streets as a deterrent this type of incident might not happen so often in Thailands tourist hot spots.A lot of bad people in the world and Thailand seems to have its fair share of them.