Similan islands, how to go?

dagling

Will be driving our car from Bang Saen to Phuket for a holiday soon, but we want to go and see The Similan Islands as well. Where do we get a ferry or a boat to the island? Can we park the car on the mainland? How long is it from the mainland to the island? Best place to stay on the island for 1500-2500,- a night?

Thank you.

Have a look at the national parks website, you can book bungalows on Similans there. Transfers can be arranged from Tap Lamu pier, south of Khao Lak,l but there are no ferries.

Or book with any of the tour agents a complete package.

• Like 1

Similan island is listed at number 1 least liked destination in Thailand......just behind krabi.

This is just boat upon boat of tourists. Yes I know we are everywhere , but that place for me utterly disappointing.

I'm sure there are many others that would say the opposite. What ever rows your boat I guess. Also the boat ride is long.

It is a diving area, yes. Not really islands that you visit on foot.

I would advise you think about stopping off at Khao Sok NP and then Khao Lak. Sok is a mountanous area, beautiful and nature filled one at that. Some lovely resorts up in the mountains and you can take trips down the rivers there with some awesome birds, Kingfisher, Chinese Herons etc. Khao Lak is the beach side town that's a starting point for divers to Similans but has some lovely beaches and snorkelling itself. Both on the way to Phuket.

• Like 2

Similan Island is only worth a visit, when you like to dive, it's one of the best dive destinations in the world.

Anyway it's actually closed for several days, caused of high waves like a former poster said already.

It's hard to be a nissemann. wink.png 1zgarz5.gif mfr_closed1.gif

PS: Go diving in April/Mai then passing there big Whalesharks and Mantas by.

I visit similan years ago clearest water I ever seen in my life more clear then ko Tao!

On the way to island we come into a big thunderstorm

Booked in travel agency but tit

Our room was allready full same on a Spanish tourists that nearly begin fighting with the stuff

I have good luck As deluxe room was free after 3 ours and I got it for the price for normal room

First arrival beach completely overrun by hundrets of tourist nabour beach a little walk nice and quite , there is a hill you can climb up with a rope to a view point

Only 12 avalible no other operators

Fm reception bad to far away from mainland

Food option limited soft drink Joffre melon rice vegetables fish in evening thats all

Diving is a hurry with the tour guide

Don't take corals with you leave it here your guide told room price was around 1200 baht

it s ben closed down for for some days now... for the storm and bad whether, so check with some travel agents before you go..

Not correct. They announced a closure on the 5th for that day, the 6th and 7th, but on the 5th already retracted it. The 6th it was open again. And that was only for boats leaving, boats already there could o and do as they pleased.

The 'closure' was all in all just a warning to the speedboat companies.

Edited by stevenl

To go to Similan you need to book a package at a travel agency. A tent will set you back 300 Baht per night, or a bungalow 1000 Baht/fan or 2000 Baht/AC, usually on weekdays a 30% discount is given for the bungalows. To give a price indication, a 2 days/1 night all inclusive package staying in a fan bungalow will set you back at least 5300 Baht if you book in Khao Lak, more in Phuket.

Look into the Surin Islands as an alternative.

• Like 1