Retirement Extension Issued out of Thailand?

Hi All:

I have a retirement extension based on monthly salary and I will be out of Thailand when it expires.

Can I get it extended out of Thailand? If not what visa do I need to get to start this retirement process over again before I come back to Thailand?

Thanks in advance

You can only get the extension here.

If you are where you can get a single entry non-o visa that would be the best visa.

If not then a single entry tourist visa and then do a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigration visa entry at immigration.

• Like 1

Thanks Ubonjoe:

What documents do I need to apply for a non-o visa? Can this non-o visa be gotten at any Thai consulate or only in my home country?

I am also married to a Thai national, if hat makes any difference.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Brian, I got a Non Imm O from the Thai Consulate in Liverpool, UK.

They only requested to see funding for the duration of the 3 month Visa, equivalent in ratio to funding required for a retirement extension.

i.e. £4,000 for the 3 months.

Edited by Faz

You should not need to show funds to get a single non-o based upon marriage. This normally would be the easiest of the two to get.

You might have to show funds to get one for being 50 or over for retirement.

Hi:

OK just to be sure ,for a non-o based on marriage applied for outside of Thailand, I will need the following (with no funds having to be shown):

1. marriage certificate, 2. a copy of you wife's house book and 2. ID card.

Is this correct?

Thanks for the assistance

Joe, they do ask for copies of bank statements for a single entry Non Imm O in the UK.

Got two friends both arrived in the last 3 weeks on that Visa and they had to prove funds.........as I did several months ago.

One Hull, one Liverpool.

Reports are that they want financial proof to get them if for retirement.

For marriage it is not needed unless applying at Hull. The embassy does them also with no financial proof.

The OP stated he wanted it for retirement purposes Joe, hence I mentioned financial proof.

Just for your own information (I know you spend a lot of time collating info from all sources), one of my UK friends is retired and spends 3 months in the UK and 3 months in Thailand. He regularly gets the 90 day single entry Non Imm O from Hull, but always has to show his pension letter from the DWP as proof of funds.

(He isn't married and has no intention to retire in Thailand)

Hull also doesn't issue single entry Non Imm O directly, they send them to London, returned around 4 days later for collection at Hull.

Liverpool issue them same day, no problems.

I really can't work out what's going on in the UK at the moment.

Edited by Faz

If he is coming back to his home country (Canada) for a while I wonder if obtaining an O-A visa for the purpose of retirement might be worth considering. With that he would have almost a year before needing to apply for any kind of extension and if done right could get almost two years initially without needing to deal with local immigration.

While I do that each year from the U.S. I find the process fairly straightforward and painless.

But then again, perhaps I am missing something here, which is known to happen.

Edited by SpokaneAl

The OP stated he wanted it for retirement purposes Joe, hence I mentioned financial proof.

Just for your own information (I know you spend a lot of time collating info from all sources), one of my UK friends is retired and spends 3 months in the UK and 3 months in Thailand. He regularly gets the 90 day single entry Non Imm O from Hull, but always has to show his pension letter from the DWP as proof of funds.

Hull also doesn't issue single entry Non Imm O directly, they send them to London, returned around 4 days later for collection at Hull.

--------------------------------------------

Can your friend not get an annual extension and re-entry permits next time he's in Thailand and then keep that valid/renewed? It'd save going to the consulate/embassy so many times. He can apply for renewal of the extension 30days early - sometimes 45 days depending on the office involved. If he can make his 3 month stays under 90 days, it'll mean he'll never have to do a 90 day report :) win-win! :)

In the 10 years prior to retiring here I obtained my retirement extension once a year when it was due. As I travelled in and out on a regular basis each year I obtained a multiple re-entry visa at the same time and never had a worry when it came to travel time however, the cost of B3800.00 is considerably higher than a single re-entry visa.

That should be all you will need to get the single entry non-o.

Can I arrive at the airport on a non immo o (based on marriage to a thai wife) without a return ticket? Thanks

If have a visa of any type a return or onward ticket is not required.

A previous post said that you can apply early for the retirement extension so I would have thought that was the way to go and as said above travel plans need to be carefully co ordinated around the renewal date to avoid all the hassle of basically starting again.

If he is coming back to his home country (Canada) for a while I wonder if obtaining an O-A visa for the purpose of retirement might be worth considering. With that he would have almost a year before needing to apply for any kind of extension and if done right could get almost two years initially without needing to deal with local immigration.

While I do that each year from the U.S. I find the process fairly straightforward and painless.

HI All:

For an O-A visa applied for in Canada, what documents do I need and will it work as SpokaneAL noted above?

Can it be used to apply for a retirement/marriage extension once I am in Thailand?

Not having to deal with local immigration is very interesting and welcomed.

\Thanks

HI All:

For an O-A visa applied for in Canada, what documents do I need and will it work as SpokaneAL noted above?

Can it be used to apply for a retirement/marriage extension once I am in Thailand?

Not having to deal with local immigration is very interesting and welcomed.

\Thanks

Info for getting a OA visa on Ottawa embassy website: http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en/visiting-thailand/visas/types-visas-periods-stay-fees/non-immigrant-visa-temporary-residents

A OA visa gives you one year entries during it's one year validity. If you do an entry just before it expires you can get almost 2 years of stay without needing to get a new visa or applying for a extension of stay.

jpinx, on 06 Nov 2014 - 16:16, said:

--------------------------------------------

Can your friend not get an annual extension and re-entry permits next time he's in Thailand and then keep that valid/renewed? It'd save going to the consulate/embassy so many times. He can apply for renewal of the extension 30days early - sometimes 45 days depending on the office involved. If he can make his 3 month stays under 90 days, it'll mean he'll never have to do a 90 day report smile.png win-win! smile.png

That is an option for him, however he'd have to show the 800,000 in a Thai bank.

He lives in Hull. 2 visits a year with just his letter of proof he is in receipt of a Pension. Keeps his money in a UK bank.

I am always amazed at people asking visa questions on the forum. Don't they ever consider getting the answer from the horse's mouth? The local Immigration Office? On the forum you are likely to get 10 different answers from ten different people. Here in Phuket you probably wouldn't even have to talk to an Immigration Officer. Just tell the Farang volunteer your problem and he will take care of it; tell you what you have to do and provide the proper papers to fill out. In my twelve years in Thailand of getting a yearly new visa and reporting every 90 days I have had only one questionable problem which I put down to a misunderstanding. In one case the Imm Officer actually advised and showed me how to avoid a 20K baht fine for overstay by getting the hell out to Malayasia and coming back in on a new visa. Wear a clean collared shirt, real shoes, a haircut and a smile.

I am always amazed at people asking visa questions on the forum. Don't they ever consider getting the answer from the horse's mouth? The local Immigration Office? On the forum you are likely to get 10 different answers from ten different people. Here in Phuket you probably wouldn't even have to talk to an Immigration Officer. Just tell the Farang volunteer your problem and he will take care of it; tell you what you have to do and provide the proper papers to fill out. In my twelve years in Thailand of getting a yearly new visa and reporting every 90 days I have had only one questionable problem which I put down to a misunderstanding. In one case the Imm Officer actually advised and showed me how to avoid a 20K baht fine for overstay by getting the hell out to Malayasia and coming back in on a new visa. Wear a clean collared shirt, real shoes, a haircut and a smile.

I think that many of us are new to the process, and a bit unsure where to start. I have found this forum to be gently helpful in providing and discussing the options and choices available, no matter how convoluted the issue. And while I am still, for the most part, unsure of myself to provide much in the way of definitive guidance, it has helped a great deal. A place like this where one can ask what seems to be absolutely any question is valuable and if it does not work for you, so be it. However, I hope that this forum stays open for all for a long time to come.