thailauren

I took the liberty of enhancing the photo a fair bit to see the markings

on the body & head....even though the head appears to have been

bashed. From reference photos it looks to be a juvenile banded kukri

which is harmless to humans. Please see the following web link for

more info...

http://bangkokherps.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/banded-kukri-snake/

Your pic enhanced...

post-146250-0-57818200-1415255295_thumb.

It is always best never to try and handle any snake in LOS unless

you're 100 % sure you know what it is and if safe to handle or not.

Leave it alone unless you know what you're doing! And it's also

a wise thing not to kill the snake....they do have a useful purpose on

this planet. Then again...it's your call if you have kids & pets.

One more web link you should check out...

http://www.thailandsnakes.com/category/non-venomous/

Hope this helps you.

Edited by sunshine51
  • Like 2

Thanks guys for the replies. As long as they are harmless it put my mind at ease

Its a Kukri as mentioned I have had several here out in the sticks, not dangerous but will still bite and it might well bleed

http://www.siam-info.com/english/snakes_oligodon.html

I have a feeling its underside is quite colourful and it holds up its red tail to show you so you attack that and not its head.

more info...

Your pic enhanced...

attachicon.gifpost-181653-1415253542479.jpg

Hope this helps you.

Dont get them Mixed up with Banded Krate, Banded Krates are all colours, red, yellow, black, the band is all around there body's, banded Krates are very dangerous, no know anti dote.

Edited by Thongkorn

Bit difficult for harmless snakes here. I've killed more than one, only to find out It was no threat at all.

As a side note, a lot of the snakes that really are perfectly harmless to us and deadly poisonous to they're prey, having fangs set far back in the jaws and a weak (relatively) venom. In recent years, it's been found that quite a few lizards (and maybe some snakes?) that were thought to be non-poisonous in fact have venom of one strength or another. It seems the evolution of venom goes back to well before snake and lizard ancestries split.

I'm sure you wanted to know that....

Yes its the JEEBEE HEEBEE Venomous Snake. Very very dangerous Considered the most dangerous snake in the world And very cunning. They have this ability to make themselves look squashed like someone bashed them in.

Then when the pray gets close looking at what appears to be a dead snake they lunge forward and sink their 5 inch fangs into the victim.

After being impaled you have approximately 15 minutes to get attention and have someone suck the venom out of your body.

The most successful venom suckers are usually girls from Pattaya

• Like 1

more info...

Your pic enhanced...

attachicon.gifpost-181653-1415253542479.jpg

Hope this helps you.

Dont get them Mixed up with Banded Krate, Banded Krates are all colours, red, yellow, black, the band is all around there body's, banded Krates are very dangerous, no know anti dote.

There is a fairly big difference between the Banded Kukri and the Banded Krait/Many Banded Krait.

See the pix below of the kraits and compare with the pic of the kukri I enhanced....notice the pattern

on the top of the kukri's head too...

post-146250-0-17949000-1415286517_thumb.

post-146250-0-65716900-1415286533_thumb.

Like I said...unless you're 100% positive in ID'ing the snake...Leave it Alone!

Yes its the JEEBEE HEEBEE Venomous Snake. Very very dangerous Considered the most dangerous snake in the world And very cunning. They have this ability to make themselves look squashed like someone bashed them in.

Then when the pray gets close looking at what appears to be a dead snake they lunge forward and sink their 5 inch fangs into the victim.

After being impaled you have approximately 15 minutes to get attention and have someone suck the venom out of your body.

joking apart never suck poison out it will give you more problems with your internal organs, treat a snake bite as you would broken arm if bitten on legs or arms., keep still and put in a splint seek medical attention asap, and get the snake if possible, there are snake anti dotes which would kill you if give for the wrong snake bite.

Sunshie 51 Totally agree with you but when a snake is on the move they are very fast, so identification is the last thing on your mind just move. a tip is to walk heavy the snake feels the vibrations and will 99% go away from you, Most snake bites are by accident, Usually by standing on them or disturbing them accidentally. another way to see if they are venomous is if you can see there eyes, venomous snakes have eyes with vertical slits, like cats, round eyes, as in pupils are non venomous,

Edited by Thongkorn

joking apart never suck poison out it will give you more problems with your internal organs, treat a snake bite as you would broken arm if bitten on legs or arms., keep still and put in a splint seek medical attention asap, and get the snake if possible, there are snake anti dotes which would kill you if give for the wrong snake bite.

Sunshie 51 Totally agree with you but when a snake is on the move they are very fast, so identification is the last thing on your mind just move. a tip is to walk heavy the snake feels the vibrations and will 99% go away from you, Most snake bites are by accident, Usually by standing on them or disturbing them accidentally. another way to see if they are venomous is if you can see there eyes, venomous snakes have eyes with vertical slits, like cats, round eyes, as in pupils are non venomous,

They next time I'm faced with a snake I can not direct identify.

I will use your advice and go closer and say "Here’s lookin’ at you, kid!" cheesy.gif

Anyway it's for sure a Banded Kukri the main difference to banded kraits their bands go all around the boody very venomous an juvanile Krait 20cm will kill you.

24 - 36 hours after the bite you will be dead without treatment, no pain at all, you just stop breathing. The banded kukri having a red belly and sign on the head can looks like a chevron or a why not venomous.