US Seals dispute over Bin Laden killing

webfact

US Seals dispute over Bin Laden killing

(BBC) A public row has arisen over which US commando fired the shot that killed Osama Bin Laden, more than three years after the al-Qaeda leader's death.

Ex-Navy Seal Robert O'Neill, 38, has told the Washington Post in a new interview he fired the fatal shot.

This contradicts the account of Matt Bissonnette, another former Seal involved in the raid, in a 2012 book.

The al-Qaeda leader was killed in a 2011 Navy Seal raid on his compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan.

Mr O'Neill, who retired in 2012, had previously told his story anonymously to Esquire magazine.

He was scheduled to reveal his identity in a television interview later this month, but a website published Mr O'Neill's name pre-emptively in protest of his decision to go public, the Post reports.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29945568

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-11-07

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"He was scheduled to reveal his identity in a television interview later this month, but a website published Mr O'Neill's name pre-emptively in protest of his decision to go public, the Post reports."

Now, just how brilliant can someone get? (Emphasis mine.)

Get your stories right, guys!

It's when conflicting accounts occur that people start wondering and putting two and two together.

Eg,why was the body disposed of so quickly?

When you take a poop....you flush.

Not when you need the stool sample for study. Corroborating earlier intelligence about his health, for example, to verify that the intelligence had been correct.

Another reason not to flush would be to proclaim to the world, "Look, I made doody!"

• Like 2

Several posts discussing conspiracy theories have been removed from view. Plenty of other websites out there that cater to this, ours does not. Per forum rules:

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

It's when conflicting accounts occur that people start wondering and putting two and two together.

When you take a poop....you flush.

In 50 years, someone is going to find a real big jar in the basement under the pentagon... (Or maybe on EBay?)

actually truth be told I don't believe it either - a high value target like that is worth more alive especially when everyone thinks he's dead......................keep the feet for dancing

The tin foil hat brigade will be along shortly no doubt!

if you are referring to me then you are way off mate, I am far from a conspiracy nut, in fact I find it amusing how easy it is to fool some people into believing the impossible or completely unplausable

My post above is exactly what and why my thoughts were 20secs after the news story hit the press - no conspiracy just a smart move

• Like 1

Nobody will remember the person who took the shot. They are just tools. Obama is the one people will remember.

Obama will certainly be remembered but not because of this. I doubt he had much to do with it really.

• Like 1

Several posts discussing conspiracy theories have been removed from view. Plenty of other websites out there that cater to this, ours does not. Per forum rules:

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Considering the topic is regarding a dispute over the Bin Laden killing, and all topics you deleted were relevant to the topic, for clarification, is your forum policy regarding conspiracy theories only when its anything to do with criticising anything American, but conspiracy theories regarding Thailand is OK (such as suggesting a police cover up in the recent KhaoTao murders)?

there is them and us...know which camp i would rather be in

Yes, and we all know that the moon landing was filmed in Hollywood.

i thought that was area 51

• Like 1

Considering the topic is regarding a dispute over the Bin Laden killing, and all topics you deleted were relevant to the topic, for clarification, is your forum policy regarding conspiracy theories only when its anything to do with criticising anything American, but conspiracy theories regarding Thailand is OK (such as suggesting a police cover up in the recent KhaoTao murders)?

Understood, and don't want to over moderate, but this topic is about a dispute within the SEAL team as to who actually killed Bin Laden during their raid. It's not about whether he was already dead or if this entire mission was made up. Thus, we are trying to keep the conversations on topic. OK?

As for the Koh Tao threads, they are a mess and we will remove any posts referencing CSI LA or conspiracy theories. As best we can, anyway. The government has threatened legal action against any who post in this manner. We are in a difficult position. Hope you understand.

wai2.gif

Who cares who did what! The movie has already been made and no one is going to make another so no auditions are needed anymore. So if they all want to take credit for the shot then let them. No one is listening. The fact is that the guy is dead and that is that. So.... next story please!