Any one else heard Nov 12th marks the return of chairs?

steelepulse

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've heard recently from Phuket friends, chairs are not coming back this year!

No,l of course they're not coming back.

Al those rumours are just that, rumours coming from people who are affected by this.

• Like 1

The Beach chairs and umbrellas will be back 100% guaranteed. Tourist want them and need them.

and they are more than happy to pay for them...

Thai people hate the sun and want them also...

I will post a picture of myself relaxing on a sunbed under a umbrella this coming

high season....

• Like 1

And what's up with so many of the old birds going topless? ohmy.png Yes, please keep the chairs off the beach. Its worth it even if it stops just one of the old birds from coming and baring her wares.

Poor Pakaty

Please let us know when you are going to the beach, we would hate to offend you.

Perhaps you would like to post a picture of your Adonis like body so we can see what is acceptable?

• Like 1

Ahh beach chairs>

but on surin beach they have taken the mats that were on top of the chairs an placed them on the beach for rent. /with the small tables next to them. same same but different??

No, better, same Rawai, much less intrusive/space taking smile.png

Ahh beach chairs>

but on surin beach they have taken the mats that were on top of the chairs an placed them on the beach for rent. /with the small tables next to them. same same but different??

No, better, same Rawai, much less intrusive/space taking smile.png

How is that "better" and "much less intrusive/space taking?"

It still uses the same floor space of sand.

Why hasn't anyone opened a shop close to the beach that solely rents chairs and umbrellas?

Nothing illegal about it as people are allowed to bring their own.

Selling mats is big business now at Kata beach. See more and more vendors springing up with the high season. Even mobile sort of cold boxes to sell drinks. Mind you they will all be drowned out today smile.png

Yesterday I had a discussion with guests of mine who went to Goa/India a number of years in a row. They said all the beach restaurants there only have a limited number, at the most 10, of chairs on the beach.

If it can be worked out in India, where the pressure to make money from enterprising families/corrupt officials will even be bigger than in Thailand, than it should be possible to work it out in Thailand for sure.

How is anyone supposed to make money with only 10? Thais just don't get it. Their utter inability to follow the rules means not is all or nothing enforcement.

If they put them back, the army will look like idiots.

Why hasn't anyone opened a shop close to the beach that solely rents chairs and umbrellas?

Sent from my LG-D858

Mrs SP was going to do that, until speaking with the local gov't officers that brought out this thread :).

• Like 2

Sent from my LG-D858

Coz that's much harder work than putting them out once and leaving them there.
Folding chair or umbrella isn't hard to manage. Even just umbrellas.

I wasn't talking about a huge plastic sunbed.

Something a tourist can rent for the day and take it down and erect it themselves and return it when done.

Leaving their passport as collateral of course.

Sent from my LG-D858

Sent from my LG-D858

Coz that's much harder work than putting them out once and leaving them there.
Folding chair or umbrella isn't hard to manage. Even just umbrellas.

I wasn't talking about a huge plastic sunbed.

Something a tourist can rent for the day and take it down and erect it themselves and return it when done.

Leaving their passport as collateral of course.

Sent from my LG-D858

What about a sunbed and umbrella concierge service from the shop. :)

The problem with renting a shop is, you have to pay rent - the beach is/was for free. No overheads - all profit, and no tax, only tea money to pay.

I think they will load them onto a vehicle, and rent them from the street, to minimise their expenses.

I forgot about the mats. Are people using them to lay on now?

I've been traveling to Songkhla for years now, and that's all they use. (Edit: To be clear, they're the roll up mats, not the mattress style)

Guys (and gals) rent them by the day (20-40 baht, I think), or you can buy your own- right there. They walk down to the beach with a hand dolly full of them. No shop, no rent, no overhead. Occasionally see a golf umbrella spiked into the sand , or just laid over to keep out the sun. And it works a treat.

Restaurants across the street from the beach will bring your food and drinks right to you on the beach if you don't like the goodies the unobtrusive hawkers are carrying. Or you can walk the 25-50 meters to cross the street to eat and drink to your heart's content. Not a single stick of construction on the beach side of the street.

Walk out to the beach before it gets going early in the morning and you can't even tell anyone was there the day before.

It's a delightful contrast from weekends in Pattaya.

Edited by impulse

Looks like the local govt will allow chairs and masseuses back. http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-talks-move-towards-beach-business-compromises-49575.php

Despite the Army-ordered beach clearance, Mr Arun said umbrellas are allowed on the beach temporarily and mats or mattresses can be rented or sold by local vendors.

Summing up the ideas from the meeting, V/Gov Jamroen said, “There will be no beach vendors left in [Muang District] – only masseuses and beach chair operators.

This really should be a topic in the Phuket News section!

Edited by steelepulse

Sorta off topic but,anyway, had a guy pull up on me yesterday selling big Singhas and waters out of his ice cream cooler. I didn't buy, but wished him good luck.

A famous quote from the genius George Bush II, "the French don't have a word for entreprenuer" I thought this Thai guy smarter than that guy.

sent from GOM's funnyphone

Read in the PG, which sadly is no longer used as a news source on TV, that a family was banned from using their own umbrella on Patong Beach. Think the link is allowed

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Officials-scramble-resolve-ban-tourists-bringing-own/39479#ad-image-0

Now this is getting ridiculous. Is it the local authorities being over-officious as revenge for losing their scam? Are they simply being literal when the army has stated "no umbrellas"?

At the moment this may be Patong only as in Karon there are plenty of personal umbrellas on the sand.

Is there another beach in the world where they ban you from taking an umbrella? I don't know the answer to that, it's not a rhetorical question.

I've already had a number of tourists complaining about the total lack of umbrellas, many stating it as a reason for not returning and also why their friends aren't booking Phuket this year. They've all been Scandinavians, a fast-diminishing market anyway.

• Like 1