What New Skills Have You Acquired In Thailand?

eldragon

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I learned to appreciate thrift, and to practice it myself to a certain extent.

I was born and raised in the USA... a country where waste is systemic and part of the culture.

When I first arrived here many years ago I encountered a people whose upbringing was quite different.

Even the ones from affluent families were taught not to be wasteful.

That's a better way to live.

Edited by DeaconJohn
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have learnt that farang is stupid and knows nothing

Which one as you have stipulated singular?

they may be right

Edited by tom21
  • Like 1

I guess you can argue a way of thinking is a skill. But I was mostly interested in vocational skills.

I've learned how to ride a motorcycle. I've learned how to wash clothing by hand. I've learned how to download media I can't buy here. My cooking has improved and I can make a few Thai dishes. I've got a pretty good grasp on how a mortar and pestle work. I'm pretty good at jumping on/off moving vehicles. I can kinda teach English to non-native speakers. And I've found new ways to communicate without actually speaking.

Learning to ignore the pleas of the desperate trying to get hold of my money. I used to be a kinder soul than I am now.

I have learned that Thailand is a land of 'fairy stories' that I thought only resided in fiction books.

The main skill I have learned is to see through the BS so much easier.

Also I have been learning about milking badgers and such interesting things though I have not yet mastered the skill of badger milking.

I learned that looking good (and wealthy) is what it's all about in Thailand. You will really see a different Thailand if you do your best to look good and wealthy. It's all about show.

This is totally against my nature though but i do my best (sometimes). I still want to test it with a very big fat (fake) golden chain around my neck.

• Like 1

sorry cant think of any skills that can be acquired here and not anywhere cell in the world nothing of any meaning or use

what do you have in mind just in case i am missing the point

draftvader gets it.

Aaaaah, another Thai-bashing thread, masquerading as a question. You're acquiring a reputation, eldragon, that of a serial basher.

Not one presented so far is anything I haven't heard from a Thai national. Want to find out how neutral I am? Ask me about any of the 56 countries I have visited in my life or 4 that I have lived in. I can name positives and negatives for all.

ive got it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,i know who you are ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,alan whicker,,,,wow so many countries

I haven't acquired any specific skills aside from some conversational Thai and how to cook a few dishes. This has almost no value to me.

What I have learned is a great deal about myself, a new way of thinking, and I now have a different view on life because of my years in Thailand, for better and for worse....

• Like 2

Today i learned how to get a tough beefsteak more tender. I had been studying that for a while, the magic trick is in a bottle called "meat tenderizer" from Mc Cormick.

Next time, try adding a piece of raw green papaya and see the result.

Ghanjah (cannabis) is a meat tenderizer they say - never tried it myself, though.
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Talking to woman who are absolutely stunning. I used to turn red and choke up back home.

I have learnt to be 100% sure it is absolutely stunning women that I talk to.

If not, then I still turn red. Nothing worse than offering a 'woman' a cigarette and being turned down because they prefer smoking a pipe..............wink.png

tongue.png

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 2

seriously though, patience would be number one without a doubt.

Maneuvering a problem so that the solution appears to come from the person who caused it in the first place.

Never judge a book by it's cover. There have been certain things happen here that I have thought to be very different to what they actually were. (My apologies to the foreigner in Pattaya walking on Beach Road with his 12 year old Thai son) Although that happened 17 years ago, it was a life changer...............wai.gif

Work in progress, telling the beautiful girls from the blokes in skirts.

• Like 1

...to understand that some words have a different meaning here,such as:

electrician,

professional,

manager,

etc.

Engineer , Its equivalent to a two year technician in any Western country.

Engineer , Its equivalent to a two year technician trainee in any Western country.

now we come close...

I have learnt how to be a man and I am now a much better person than the man child that existed back home in mummy and daddy's house around 7 odd years now

I have also recently discovered how easy it is to open a bottle of beer with a spoon

I have learnt to be calmer in the face of provocation

Edited by bkkgooner
  • Like 1

Talking to woman who are absolutely stunning. I used to turn red and choke up back home.

I have learnt to be 100% sure it is absolutely stunning women that I talk to.

If not, then I still turn red. Nothing worse than offering a 'woman' a cigarette and being turned down because they prefer smoking a pipe.............. wink.pngtongue.png

... cheesy.gif

a fear I think we all have/had.