Chiang Mai immigration office

camsouth

good morning

my wife and i are going to CM immigration next week , We have never been there before and we are going for our first time one year extensions.( retirement).

I need to know the do's and don'ts there, and how they work it. Best time to go ect. we have all the paperwork we need. I have been in the Immigration office in Phuket, for my 90 day non 0 based on retirement, was in at 8:30 am and out at 10:am.

so what can i expect in CM ? and how are the officers to deal with ? English ect.

You will have to get there very early if you don't have an appointment,if you are

going with your own transport,finding parking space is very difficult,you will either

have to park in the garage over the road,the airport or Robinson's mall.

The officers are very friendly,considering some of the people they have to deal

with and the environment they work in ,just be polite,and don't get impatient,

You need to get a number when you first arrive,and this will involve a bit of pushing

and shoving .

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

You will have to get there very early if you don't have an appointment,if you are

going with your own transport,finding parking space is very difficult,you will either

You need to get a number when you first arrive,and this will involve a bit of pushing

and shoving .

regards Worgeordie

we will need a taxi or red box there and back how early is early?

Do: be patient but have low expectations, these are patronage, bought postitions not based on competence... also inefficiency is built into the system so no one can suggest improvements. Do; have all your papers in order,

yes i have all i need as far as paper work can you make copies there if you need too ?

Do you have an appointment? If not, be prepared to get there at 5 AM and make a day of it. It's really quite fun!

well no. how do you get one? we are new to city been here only a Month, and why 5 am? can you expand on that? rather than just hanging that out there? i need real answers that are complete if you dont mind we are new!

Do you have an appointment? If not, be prepared to get there at 5 AM and make a day of it. It's really quite fun!

well no. how do you get one? we are new to city been here only a Month, and why 5 am? can you expand on that? rather than just hanging that out there? i need real answers that are complete if you dont mind we are new!

There are some other threads on here that give the details. Opinions are mixed as to how much fun it is. Some think it's fun, some think it's pure hell.

Edited by mesquite

Going about 5 AM is the only way to make sure that you will - probably - be seen that day in a reasonable amount of time for a one year extension. Any later and you might be there all day or have to come back the following morning.

Some TV members think it is great fun and a great place for people watching, but I am not one of them.

woo from the sounds of it its not fun . it would almost be better if we flew to Phucket. in the morning and go right to im can they do that at any im in thailand ?

• Like 1

Going about 5 AM is the only way to make sure that you will - probably - be seen that day in a reasonable amount of time for a one year extension. Any later and you might be there all day or have to come back the following morning.

Some TV members think it is great fun and a great place for people watching, but I am not one of them.

woo from the sounds of it its not fun . it would almost be better if we flew to Phucket. in the morning and go right to im can they do that at any im in thailand ?

Your extension has to be in the province you reside in.

Some TV members think it is great fun and a great place for people watching, but I am not one of them.my

my 90 day is up on the 18th of this month is there a limit to how many days before you can go in?

You did not offend me. You gave me an opportunity to help you. Pls take me up on it as the info there is still fresh and believe me there is a lot of it. BTW, you can apply for an extension up to 1 month prior to its expiration.

You did not offend me. You gave me an opportunity to help you. Pls take me up on it as the info there is still fresh and believe me there is a lot of it. BTW, you can apply for an extension up to 1 month prior to its expiration.

well i have been looking at the info on the page you sent me 0811 is latest entry still reading i have 10 days before my 90 expires, will that be a problem?some of it is confusing

Some TV members think it is great fun and a great place for people watching, but I am not one of them.my

my 90 day is up on the 18th of this month is there a limit to how many days before you can go in?

14 days before 7 days after,

14 days before 7 days after,

15 days before 7 days after due date if in person or proxy. If mail in then the 7 days after does not apply and penalties can incur.

Immigration

Do: be patient but have low expectations, these are patronage, bought postitions not based on competence... also inefficiency is built into the system so no one can suggest improvements. Do; have all your papers in order,

yes i have all i need as far as paper work can you make copies there if you need too ?

To be absolutely frank with you and I`m not being coy, visa extensions at Chiang Mai Immigration has become a nightmare, the worse in the whole country, like a lottery whether or not you can obtain a number for the day.

My advice is this; if you don`t want all the hassle and stress of the process, than use an agency as now it seems this is the system all us ex-pats are being forced into using. The only other option is join the sheep and take your chances.

This is the reality of the situation I`m afraid, it has now become every man for himself and rather a perfected joke, only no one is laughing.

• Like 1

and shoving .

regards Worgeordie

I agree with all of the above. Would also suggest that you both dress "decently", much the same as I'm sure you would if you were attending a Government Office to conduct Official Business in your home country.

Once again, take note of all the points mentioned above.

Welcome to CNX!

• 3 weeks later...

well to report back we did go and yes i was there at like 430 am Ouch! but there was a line already for 201,lol We where 8th in line.)) well it went like everyone said except they handed out the Q numbers at 7 am. no pre Q numbers. the only problem we had was they wanted a document from us embassy about our marriage certificate lol . it was in English with Apostille. and was Original . The funny thing was the guy didn't want my new address with lease or house book .just my income statement from embassy. we where out and back home by 1130 am.

So off to the embassy to get document for marriage. went back in a week same time ouch again! and we where 9th in line. So at 7 am they passed out Pre Q numbers ?? this time. fell to 11 place ? and at 830 am they passed out the real Q numbers. the problem was no one listened to him to wait to call out the Pre Q numbers to get your real Q numbers,lol But was lucky and got # 10 lol this time.so when we got there the woman took our embassy document on marriage certificate and wanted just a copy's of both? Not the Originals. and because this was for my wife as dependent they did take the copy of lease this time.we both got multi-entrys as well. funny thing is they never once asked or wanted my passbook copies showing my 2 months?

so all in all we where out and home by 12 pm. they where all really nice, this is just some thing i noticed, A lot of people did not come prepared document wise. i think in part because like me, had we known about needing the embassy certification of our marriage. i would have had that before going.

No where did i read here or in the rules where i needed one. so if they published all that you needed to bring and all was the same from officer or offices would help most who go there. Anyway it was not that bad. made the best of it.met a few nice people there.

Edited by camsouth

I was there yesterday for my 90-day extension. Had planned to go at 7am but got a call from a friend, who has the same visa and dates, at 5:45 to say: "Get here quickly!"

Apparently they were only issuing 65 numbers, and I got no 53 after arriving at 6:08 am.

Around an hour later they distributed the numbers and told us to wait inside, which I did until 7:15 am, when I was called to show which visa type I had and given another number and told to return at 2:30 pm. This gave me time to then get photographs and photocopies. There relevant forms available in the office too.

On returning I waited 1 1/2 hours before being called again and crossing the counter for my documentation to be processed and to pay the fee. There was no interview, as such, for this renewal of my student Non-Immigrant ED visa, though I was asked if I was learning Thai okay - 'nid noi', being the appropriate response. Then I was told to wait again.

An hour later I had my photograph taken, waited another half-hour and was given passport c/w visa and was able to leave.

All in all, reasonably efficient - make sure you're in the correct queue in the morning - and not unpleasant. But it's still a pain to have to go through the process at all!

Good luck!

Yesterday was a zoo. I had already applied for my one year business extension, but had to pick it up. It always takes time to get someone in the back to give it the final stamp and usually you just wait a few hours and they hand it to you. However, they seem to have added a new, last, step. You have to have a last "interview", before they stamp it in front of you and - finally - hand it over. They didn't ask me anything or even say anything, but they did to other people while I was waiting to be seen. I was too far away to overhear what they were saying.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Yesterday was a zoo. I had already applied for my one year business extension, but had to pick it up. It always takes time to get someone in the back to give it the final stamp and usually you just wait a few hours and they hand it to you. However, they seem to have added a new, last, step. You have to have a last "interview", before they stamp it in front of you and - finally - hand it over. They didn't ask me anything or even say anything, but they did to other people while I was waiting to be seen. I was too far away to overhear what they were saying.

Mayne they added the "stamp it in front of you" because some people voiced concerns whether stamps were authentic.

• Like 1

Same for yearly ext based on marriage

Meaning they added that step you mention of a mini interview. ( which was not done in previous years)

Except with the marriage based one they do it after your application meet not when picking up

since they probably want both there.

In our case just a few basic questions like do we rent or own etc.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1