What Surprised you most when you first came to Thailand?

NoshowJones

Can't avoid commenting:

1969, a 19 yr old kid with a USAF uniform on, arrived a bit scared. Still remember that DMK smell. Just wanted to go back home to Texas. The girls were beautiful, and most good

people.

Thanks to some great Thai friends, I lived , to return many times. Left in the 70's with a family starting and returned over 30 years later.

Now, as an old fart I still come back often and stay longer each time.

I will always owe more to the country and people that I could ever return.

• Like 1

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The number of ladyboys is truly mindboggling. I mean Thailand is famous for them so I was expecting them, but I kinda just expected them in tourist areas and the rest of the country would be more like home. But no, they are present in huge numbers everywhere throughout the country.

Also unexpected, is the number of foreign and Thai men that prefer their company. Their business and I wish them well. :)

Live and Let Live.

Can't avoid commenting:

1969, a 19 yr old kid with a USAF uniform on, arrived a bit scared. Still remember that DMK smell. Just wanted to go back home to Texas. The girls were beautiful, and most good

people.

Thanks to some great Thai friends, I lived , to return many times. Left in the 70's with a family starting and returned over 30 years later.

Now, as an old fart I still come back often and stay longer each time.

I will always owe more to the country and people that I could ever return.

Nice post. In 1969 I was an 18 year old on orders to Korat and my misbehavior stateside resulted in my staying statewide to face my punishment. I wonder how things might have been different had I been stationed here.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

The first time I came here was in 1982. I was just 20, turning 21 in november. Before that I was in Indonesia and a Canadian was talking about the women in Thailand. If they'ld like you, they would go for free with you and stayed as long as you liked and they were gorgeous..

I was 20, still "virgin" and it was time for me to loose this burden...

So, after my stay in Indonesia, Singapore and South Korea, I was heading for Thailand. From Georgetown Malaysia with the train to my adventure.

Right on the first day, I was walking around my hotel area (it must have been around Asok or the Grace Hotel) when a young woman talked to me. It was hot and she was going home to freshen up. If I wouldn't like to join her. Not expecting that she would do that for free, I told her not to have enough money, but she insisted and reasured me that she didn't want any money from me. So there I went with her to her place. That was not all... while she was in the shower a female friend turned up and she joined the party! There I was, first day in Bangkok and in the middle of the day with two naked women in my bed.

But sadly, I was not turned on. I was too nervous to enjoy anything and after a while I murmeled something that I had a friend waiting for me, grabbed my things and got out...

After that, in the same week I lost my virginity to a fantastic woman who was in Thai terms old. She was 25! But I had an amazing week with her and like the Canadian said, she didn't want any money from me, except that I payed food and drink and gave her sometimes a small present.

Eventhough I came to Thailand many years after that and because of my work nearly every month, I rarely went to a bar or club. If so, always with co-workers and I very rarely I had a woman in my room.

Saw lots of other things in Thailand and always enjoyed being here.

• Like 2

I also was amazed how pushy the tuktuk drivers were, they also brought us to the jewelry shops and tailors without asking. We wanted to go to kao sarn road but they all acted like they didn't understand us. Then one day we went to some huge stadium or so and the tuktuk insisted that we should take him again and he wanted to wait for us. But we got lost in the stadium and took another exit so from there we took another tuktuk...wonder how long the first driver had been waiting for us. This was all 20 years ago.

I was surprised and shocked to see how the Cargo Truck drivers on Thai roads are driving the way they drive....w00t.gif Or should I call it " going one way, forward and not in a straight line " I would not classify this as driving but rather a free ticket to hell and back...cheesy.gif

Just two weeks ago I was almost taken off the road twice in one day on my way from Bkk to Hua Hin by mad truck drivers driving drifting from one side of to road to other.. all over the show !!

Lucky for me I drive a high rise Pajero Sport so I could ditch the truck and went onto the shoulder of the road almost spinning out ...thumbsup.gifwai2.gif

The first time i came to Thailand i needed a written consent from my parents, bec i wasn't of legal age...

My first surprise was, that a public service vehicle i boarded at the southern bus terminal in BKK scheduled for Had Yai would make an extra tour after a night long ride over nearly 1000 km, with 70+ pax to a unknown village near Songkla, just to get that farang kid to the place he showed the driver scribbled on a letter.

I've looked it up, it was a detour of about 120 km.

First i thought, man, how lucky i am that my destination is on the route...

• Like 2

Just the convenience of just about everything in Bangkok, the great public transport, the affordability of everyday life and how much more I was paying in taxes and living costs back home. It's amazing how quickly I traded living expenses for flights and due to the fly in fly out blue collar phenomenon in Australia I have returned every 2-4 weeks ever since I landed in Los 4 years ago.

First trip to Thailand was back in 1979 aged 27, I found many things surprising,

But one thing I shall never forget back in 79 was being stared at by so many Thais

as I walked on the city streets, It made me feel a little uncomfortable, but the people were amazingly friendly

And once I remember being asked by a Thai friend if I would permit an old lady to touch my arm as she wanted to know what a Farangs skin felt like!

• Like 2

possum1931, on 09 Nov 2014 - 17:23, said:possum1931, on 09 Nov 2014 - 17:23, said:
wprime, on 09 Nov 2014 - 17:02, said:wprime, on 09 Nov 2014 - 17:02, said:

Not bad looking farangs with unattractive girls. Seems to be no shortage of them.

Back in Scotland. I always said you will find plenty of attractive girls with unattractive men, but you will hardly ever find a handsome guy with an unattractive girl.

That's because the handsome men go to 'Specsavers' in Scotland. clap2.gif

Edited by Faz

What definitely surprised me the most when coming here was to learn that THai monks actually eat flesh(meat)and their excuse is that they cannnot refuse what people give them-what a cop out.No way should any Buddhist eat flesh-AHIMSA-non-violence.buddhas whole mission was to steer people away from eating flesh when there is so much non-vioplent food available.

Besides that what I was also surprised with was how clean the Thai people are.

you are 100% wrong!! http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma3/meat.html

The Vinaya, then, is quite clear on this matter. Monks and nuns may eat meat. Even the Buddha ate meat. Unfortunately, meat eating is often seen by westerners as an indulgence on the part of the monks. Nothing could be further from the truth

Edited by AYJAYDEE
  • Like 1

The friendliness of the people...when I first came here I was out in the "boonies" between 3 small villages......the people were curious but very friendly and respectful (something on a downhill trend in the US).......CM was about 40 minutes away with a lot of interesting options to offer but in a small package city-wise.....I was not convinced after the first visit & came back once again - and found it to be as before.....

I landed in the CM area by chance - there may be other areas as nice with as much to offer but have not found it yet.....

If I had initially been stuck in BKK without venturing out I might not have returned to Thailand - I don't need/want/enjoy/seek the pulse/drum beat of a big city.....

Nice story, I live in a small village and would not want to live in a city, but I do wish I was a bit closer to a city than what I am.

Be careful what you wish for as the closer you get to a tourist city the less friendly the people tend to be. I went from isaan to the north and found this to be true.

What definitely surprised me the most when coming here was to learn that THai monks actually eat flesh(meat)and their excuse is that they cannnot refuse what people give them-what a cop out.No way should any Buddhist eat flesh-AHIMSA-non-violence.buddhas whole mission was to steer people away from eating flesh when there is so much non-vioplent food available.

Besides that what I was also surprised with was how clean the Thai people are.

Same here. I didn't think meat eating Buddhists existed before arrival. Still think it's bonkers.

My first thought on arrival was that there were fewer Buddhist statues than I had imagined. Was expecting huge Buddhist heads by the roads as I drived past ha

First was the humidity as I melted as soon as I exited the airport.

The second was the deviousness of the woman I'd come to meet in BKK. Don't get me wrong, I liked her a lot and she me. We got on great for a long weekend. Then it was back to work for her. I was staying on in BKK for a few more days before going to her home town up north. Before she left, her sister came to visit.

She asked if her sister could stay with me in the hotel room. Sister had a few days off and if it was no trouble, would I let her sleep in the other bed.

Odd, but I saw no reason not to and she was quite helpful to me.

I left to go north with the sister in tow both of us headed up to see the new woman in my life.

The crux of it being she had left the sister with me to see if I would try it on. Good lad that I am, I didn't. tongue.png

We all got on great after that.

was the sister ugly? huh.png

Yes, yes and yes.

Bu I did not want to mention that wai.gif

I came to Udorn, Thailand for the first time in December of 1973. The first big surprise was how inexpensive everything was compared to my home (USA) and the elephant walking down the street. There were a lot more surprises, but I will tell that story another time...

First trip to Thailand was back in 1979 aged 27, I found many things surprising,

But one thing I shall never forget back in 79 was being stared at by so many Thais

as I walked on the city streets, It made me feel a little uncomfortable, but the people were amazingly friendly

And once I remember being asked by a Thai friend if I would permit an old lady to touch my arm as she wanted to know what a Farangs skin felt like!