Asia Beach Games - bad logo, terrible tagline

simon43

It is pouring with rain.

What shortsighted idiot thought up the tagline 'Celebrating Charming Sunshine'?

Did it not occur to them that it might actually rain during this event?

What about the turtle logo? I'm sorry, but to use turtles on this logo is - IMHO - false advertising.

Whilst Phuket may be home to charities and groups who are trying to reintroduce the turtles, it is stretching the point a LONG way to graphically suggest that Phuket is home to turtles. It no longer is. The last wild turtle I saw on Mai Khao beach was about 8 years ago and it had been dead for at least 1 week.

• Like 1

Come on. The events look good and will be entertaining. It actually looks well set up surprisingly.

Thailand has never been good at slogans or mascots so just go watch some events and stop worrying what somchai is or isn't doing right.

Sent from my LG-D858

I also noticed the signs standing at roadsite showing the outlines of a volleyball player, a cyclist, and a boxer.

Volleyball i can imagine, but since when are cycling and boxing beach games?

I can understand the boxing sign.

It is to warn the tourists to learn how to defend themselves when attacked by welcoming locals.

• Like 2

I also noticed the signs standing at roadsite showing the outlines of a volleyball player, a cyclist, and a boxer.

Volleyball i can imagine, but since when are cycling and boxing beach games?

I saw they have bodybuilding at Karon as well as beach water polo. Can't wait to see that if the swell is big.

Sent from my LG-D858

Here it is ........... for those too lazy to Google it

That's the 'general' logo.

But the roadside signs feature 3 cartoon turtles - for what purpose is beyond me (see my OP). Why don't they feature 3 jetskis?

and why not post the logo in question if you are going to take the time to slag it

ABG-logo.jpg

you are correct, sort of, though it is far more a case of indifference than laziness.

it does seem though that your efforts, however motivated, were simply pointless as the logo you posted is not even the one in question. thanks for the effort however

Edited by HooHaa

Got out the wrong side of bed today HooHaa?? smile.png

I'm not moaning about the games. I am criticising a 'strange' tagline and use of turtles on the marketing material. Someone has paid for this wonderful use of English and IMHO 'celebrate charming sunshine' is ... well ... total b*ll*x. They should ask for their money back.

To comment further, marketing companies should never mention the weather, unless it is to sell umbrellas. Same as to never involve kids or animals, because they are unpredictable.

Why not something like 'Phuket - Sand, Sea and Sport'? You can't go wrong with that

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1

post-18822-0-13830000-1415558449_thumb.j

Asian Beach Games Sports

3-on-3 basketball
Paragliding

Powered Paragliding
Beach water polo
Marathon swimming Open water
Beach athletics
Beach flag football
Beach handball
Beach kabaddi
Beach modern pentathlon
Beach sepaktakraw
Beach soccer
Beach volleyball
Roque woodball
Beach wrestling
Bodybuilding
BMX freestyle Cycling
Inline skate
Skateboard
Footvolley
Jet ski
Ju-jitsu
Kurash
Muay
Pétanque
Sailing
Sambo
Sport climbing
Squash
Triathlon
Water-skiing

Edited by Old Croc

I'd like to know how you can play squash on a beach. And how do you bounce a basketball on sand?And I've never heard of kurash or sambo.

A number of events are jus down the road so I may take a look.

I just hope they don't stop the traffic for hours on end for the competitors to get to their locations.

According to the official website:

http://www.phuketthailand2014.com/en/mascot.aspx

“Sea turtle” is a symbol of endurance fertility, sustainability and growth. As Phuket is a home to many rare species of sea turtle, it is a chance to announce to the participants of the 4th Asian Beach Games and also to the public that Thailand pays great attention and an important role to the conservation of sea turtle.

I wasn't aware that Phuket is a home to many rare species of sea turtle. That suggests that we can all go and see these animals in the wild.

It is more correct to say "Phuket was a home to many rare species of sea turtle"

Unfortunately, that website's link to the official song leads to a blank page with no song :(

Maybe this will do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSrQYJHLOP0

When the sun is out, some complain about the heat.

When it's raining, some complain about the lack of sun.

When an event is held, some criticize for various reasons.

When there is a lack of activity, some criticize for a various reasons.

I prefer to watch the world run it's path without my attempts to alter its course.

Schools will be closed on Thursday(13th) and Friday(14th) d/t the games, the Phuket government says its to ease traffic congestion!

School has been out Monday and Tuesday due to a Foot and mouth disease outbreak. Then the governor chose to close the schools to clean up the outbreak and make up the crowds at the games and alleviate traffic that schools cause.

Sent from my LG-D858

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Schools will be closed on Thursday(13th) and Friday(14th) d/t the games, the Phuket government says its to ease traffic congestion!

School has been out Monday and Tuesday due to a Foot and mouth disease outbreak. Then the governor chose to close the schools to clean up the outbreak and make up the crowds at the games and alleviate traffic that schools cause.

Sent from my LG-D858

Which school was closed on Monday & Tuesday?

That's the 'general' logo.

But the roadside signs feature 3 cartoon turtles - for what purpose is beyond me (see my OP). Why don't they feature 3 jetskis?

Why so grumpy?

Sent from my LG-D858

Yep. One school day this week for my kid, due to the forced closure of schools for face of Phuket and the dreaded HFM disease.