Public warned to avoid eating raw cattle meat due to disease

Lite Beer

Public warned to avoid eating raw cattle meat due to disease

IMG-20141109-200439-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Members of the public are warned to avoid buying raw cattle meat for consumption for the time being due to the spread of haemorrhagic septicemia in provinces bordering Myanmar.

Mr Ayut Harinthranont, deputy director-general of Livestock Department, disclosed today that the contagious disease originated from cattle which were smuggled into the country from neighbouring countries.

It was reported that, so far, 250 cattle in border provinces such as Tak, Uthai Thani and Kanchanaburi had been infected by the disease and 32 of them have died.

The spread of the disease was reported to be most serious in Thapthun district of Uthai Thani because cattle raisers did not heed the advice of livestock officials to have their dead animals buried but instead ate their meat and shared out the meat to neighbours, said Mr Ayut.

Officials are now trying to vaccinate cattle which have not been infected and to prevent the smuggling of cattle from Myanmar.

Even the disease cannot be transmitted to human beings, he suggested that they should avoid buying cattle meat or to eat raw cattle meat for the time being for safety reason.

Source: Daily News Online

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/public-warned-avoid-eating-raw-cattle-meat-due-disease/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-09

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard of this before. Does cooking destroy it ?

What about meat on sale in the supermarkets ?

Read all about it:

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/generalized_conditions/hemorrhagic_septicemia/overview_of_hemorrhagic_septicemia.html

"Zoonotic Risk

...However, because many serotypes of P multocida have the potential to infect people, appropriate precautions should be taken when dealing with suspected cases of HS or HS-like disease."

I would not trust farmers to bury something they can sell for a profit.

I would err on the side of caution and suspect it will make its way into the food supply:

"The spread of the disease was reported to be most serious in Thapthun district of Uthai Thani because cattle raisers did not heed the advice of livestock officials to have their dead animals buried but instead ate their meat and shared out the meat to neighbours, said Mr Ayut."

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

So are you guys honestly saying you don't believe the infected cattle were traced to Burma?

Its a public health alert and you think they are making stuff up that will only encourage the spread of the disease?

Wow. Thats all I can say about your views of Thailand. Wow.

• Like 1

So are you guys honestly saying you don't believe the infected cattle were traced to Burma?

Its a public health alert and you think they are making stuff up that will only encourage the spread of the disease?

Well:

"said Mr Ayut.

Officials are now trying to vaccinate cattle which have not been infected and to prevent the smuggling of cattle from Myanmar.

Even the disease cannot be transmitted to human beings, he suggested that they should avoid buying cattle meat or to eat raw cattle meat for the time being for safety reason."

So the expert says the disease 'cannot be transmitted to human beings', so what's the big deal? Why a public health alert, as you put it?

That's my view of Thailand. Wow.

• Like 1

Well:

"said Mr Ayut.

Even the disease cannot be transmitted to human beings, he suggested that they should avoid buying cattle meat or to eat raw cattle meat for the time being for safety reason."

So the expert says the disease 'cannot be transmitted to human beings', so what's the big deal? Why a public health alert, as you put it?

It does seem quite a nasty livestock disease. Very high mortality rate when spreads. Guess they are trying to get the message out to cattle farmers.

Plus

"The P multocida serotypes that cause HS have not been recovered from human infections. However, because many serotypes of P multocida have the potential to infect people, appropriate precautions should be taken when dealing with suspected cases of HS or HS-like disease."

Does people eat raw Thai cattle meat?

Ho no, no, no!

Saw a travel documentary on a cultural thing with killing a cow and eating it while it's being cut up and cleaned. Didn't look very appealing. Somewhere up North or NE, forget where it was.

Ho no, no, no!

Saw a travel documentary on a cultural thing with killing a cow and eating it while it's being cut up and cleaned. Didn't look very appealing. Somewhere up North or NE, forget where it was.

Yes indeed,ive seen this happen for real,when i married,two cattle were purchase for the ceremony feast,these cattle were slaughtered in the dead of night at a neighbouring village,i witnessed the slaughter and eating of the liver,kidneys,etc,being dipped into some kind of chilli sauce,and eaten,the organs were still warm,the steam was actually still coming from them,so yes they do eat raw cattle.

Not sure about the normal use of raw beef in Thai dishes, but up in Isaan, I gather it's normal to add raw beef blood to various dishes and soups.

Update that... my wife says the dish "goi nua" is very common -- raw ground/minced beef mixed with scallion, roasted rice powder, spices, etc.

Not sure about the normal use of raw beef in Thai dishes, but up in Isaan, I gather it's normal to add raw beef blood to various dishes and soups.

Update that... my wife says the dish "goi nua" is very common -- raw ground/minced beef mixed with scallion, roasted rice powder, spices, etc.

Yes I have had it on special occasions as it's the expensive cut, bit like steak tartare.

Ho no, no, no!

One of my neighbours eats raw pig meat! He thinks it makes him strong.

What do they call that raw minced meat sausage mixed with garlic? which doesn't have a skin?

I guess the minced meat comes from Supermarket!

Ho no, no, no!

One of my neighbours eats raw pig meat! He thinks it makes him strong.

What do they call that raw minced meat sausage mixed with garlic? which doesn't have a skin?

I guess the minced meat comes from a Supermarket!

My wife tells me they are called Isaan sausages!

Do Thai cattle have any meat on them?

Good point,very little quality meat on them,pathetic looking creatures,then again,they mostly graze just about anything,fields for grazing aren't exactly abundant there,not like here in Ireland.i guess they got no choice but to graze their cattle anywhere they can,ie,along the roads,anywhere.

Well:

"said Mr Ayut.

I did not "put it" this way, the article headline did.

***Public warned to avoid eating raw cattle meat due to disease.***

And quite interesting that you now believe so much in "Thai public health experts" when they assure you it cannot be spread to humans. I think you are actually the first poster I have seen on TV who DOES trust Thai "experts" of any sort.

I simply found it surprising that intelligent people would completely miss the fact they may be exposed to a pretty serious disease that can "possibly be contagious to humans" because they continue to be so obsessed with blaming the Burmese...when it appears the cattle did, in fact, come from Burma.

But have at it Commerce.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1