Public warned to avoid eating raw cattle meat due to disease

Lite Beer

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do Thai cattle have any meat on them?

Good point,very little quality meat on them,pathetic looking creatures,then again,they mostly graze just about anything,fields for grazing aren't exactly abundant there,not like here in Ireland.i guess they got no choice but to graze their cattle anywhere they can,ie,along the roads,anywhere.

Yes, all the ones I've ever seem do look pretty emaciated. Reckon the strategy is to get them to market before they die of starvation.

Good point,very little quality meat on them,pathetic looking creatures,then again,they mostly graze just about anything,fields for grazing aren't exactly abundant there,not like here in Ireland.i guess they got no choice but to graze their cattle anywhere they can,ie,along the roads,anywhere.

Yes, all the ones I've ever seem do look pretty emaciated. Reckon the strategy is to get them to market before they die of starvation.

Personally, I prefer range fed beef. Its leaner and more like wild game which I fill my freezer with back home.

Although I like to eat a steak cooked rare, I never could take to steak tartare.

I tried once to eat a steak rare (not cooked at all). Strange, somehow the body clearly recognize it as food on the other side it is just too strong in its taste.....Seems we adjusted a bit in the few years since we discovered fire.....

Although I like to eat a steak cooked rare, I never could take to steak tartare.

I tried once to eat a steak rare (not cooked at all). Strange, somehow the body clearly recognize it as food on the other side it is just too strong in its taste.....Seems we adjusted a bit in the few years since we discovered fire.....

Eating raw beefsteak is pretty common in Europe, i know several people who like it. Steak tartare it is called.

Also i think the spreadable beefsteak called "fillet americain" is made of raw beef.

Edited by namdocmai

So are you guys honestly saying you don't believe the infected cattle were traced to Burma?

Its a public health alert and you think they are making stuff up that will only encourage the spread of the disease?

Wow. Thats all I can say about your views of Thailand. Wow.

Well:

"said Mr Ayut.

Officials are now trying to vaccinate cattle which have not been infected and to prevent the smuggling of cattle from Myanmar.

Even the disease cannot be transmitted to human beings, he suggested that they should avoid buying cattle meat or to eat raw cattle meat for the time being for safety reason."

So the expert says the disease 'cannot be transmitted to human beings', so what's the big deal? Why a public health alert, as you put it?

That's my view of Thailand. Wow.

I did not "put it" this way, the article headline did.

***Public warned to avoid eating raw cattle meat due to disease.***

And quite interesting that you now believe so much in "Thai public health experts" when they assure you it cannot be spread to humans. I think you are actually the first poster I have seen on TV who DOES trust Thai "experts" of any sort.

I simply found it surprising that intelligent people would completely miss the fact they may be exposed to a pretty serious disease that can "possibly be contagious to humans" because they continue to be so obsessed with blaming the Burmese...when it appears the cattle did, in fact, come from Burma.

But have at it Commerce.

Pls recognise sarcasm, when it's clear. ;)

Does people eat raw Thai cattle meat?

Ho no, no, no!

Saw a travel documentary on a cultural thing with killing a cow and eating it while it's being cut up and cleaned. Didn't look very appealing. Somewhere up North or NE, forget where it was.

Thanks Jay - you just completely put me off my breakfast! giggle.gifbah.gif

Personally, I prefer range fed beef. Its leaner and more like wild game which I fill my freezer with back home.

Recently returned from 2 months holiday in the US after many years of absence, and it was an odd pleasure seeing all that nice looking beef in the supermarket. Contrasted with the poorly lit, rarely visited corner of the fresh meat area in my local Makro where the "beef" is on display. sick.gif

Recently returned from 2 months holiday in the US after many years of absence, and it was an odd pleasure seeing all that nice looking beef in the supermarket. Contrasted with the poorly lit, rarely visited corner of the fresh meat area in my local Makro where the "beef" is on display. sick.gif

Depending on where you shopped, most of that beef is injected with food colorings and preservatives sadly.

Best to find a butcher shop but they are not so common anymore. Y'know, most supermarkets no longer do their own butchering, its performed elsewhere (with less accountability) and then shipped to local stores. The butchers you see are only putting it out on display.

It certainly worries me with recent beef recalls in the US that are a million pounds large!

But I hear what you saying.

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 2

Does people eat raw Thai cattle meat?

Ho no, no, no!

Saw a travel documentary on a cultural thing with killing a cow and eating it while it's being cut up and cleaned. Didn't look very appealing. Somewhere up North or NE, forget where it was.

Thanks Jay - you just completely put me off my breakfast! giggle.gifbah.gif

I've hung with the Nepalese for Dasheera festival preparations, the decapitations and butchering where very little goes to waste. Tuna straight out of the water sashimi on the boat - no problemo. But yeah, this cow eating thing I saw, felt a bit more primitive.

I found the video clip I was referring to and, how appropriate, it was the show called "Bizzare Foods".

Maybe this is what member UEL1968 saw.

So are you guys honestly saying you don't believe the infected cattle were traced to Burma?

Its a public health alert and you think they are making stuff up that will only encourage the spread of the disease?

Not doubting it at all but the irony of it is ripe.

Plus a lot of the OP seems to be playing the blame game.

In fact 4 out of 6 paragraphs refer to where it originated. Now why is that necessary?

At the risk of sounding like I'm harping on the subject, I will ONCE AGAIN tell you:

If the SUN fails to Rise in The EAST one of these days, it will be the Fault of the BURMESE!

That is simply, a lesson in finding the Root Cause of ALL that goes wrong in Thailand. Just ask my wife!

Just two nights ago I had a bad case of Bangkok Belly. Severe stomach pains, and the world falling out of my bottom. I had eaten local beef, barbequed, rare and tough as a rookies boot. Even though the experts say that hemorrhagic septicemia is not passed on to humans I am sceptical. After many tears of inuring my stomach against the assault of exotic Thai foods and thinking that nothing could survive my alcohol stream I was brought down. Was it the beef/buffalo? w00t.gif

Just two nights ago I had a bad case of Bangkok Belly. Severe stomach pains, and the world falling out of my bottom. I had eaten local beef, barbequed, rare and tough as a rookies boot. Even though the experts say that hemorrhagic septicemia is not passed on to humans I am sceptical. After many tears of inuring my stomach against the assault of exotic Thai foods and thinking that nothing could survive my alcohol stream I was brought down. Was it the beef/buffalo? w00t.gif

Could of been rotten rice. I've heard rumors..... biggrin.png

I've eaten goi nua on Suk soi 11, at the street vendor next to the Grand President tower 3,, and lived to tell the tale. Pretty tasty, too.

Is that the culinary milestone for Thai beef? That it doesn't kill you? LOL.

The first time my Mrs. took me to a dried palm roof, dirt floor noodle shack on the side of a country lane, I was skeptical.

Place was jammed with Thais but looking at the operation, the farang half of my brain said don't do it. Yeah. So, I sampled the nua version, it was very nice, but I paid for it later in the loo. It could of been the 2 glasses of Jamaica juice (forget the Thai name) I had.

A second trip, I passed then relented, had moo and nua, Jamaica, and felt fine later. Go figure.

If I get a tapeworm, I'm naming it "Knave" in your honor. biggrin.png

Eating raw beefsteak is pretty common in Europe, i know several people who like it. Steak tartare it is called.

Also i think the spreadable beefsteak called "fillet americain" is made of raw beef.

Its called ''fillet americain' only in Belgium!

Well:

"said Mr Ayut.

Officials are now trying to vaccinate cattle which have not been infected and to prevent the smuggling of cattle from Myanmar.

Even the disease cannot be transmitted to human beings, he suggested that they should avoid buying cattle meat or to eat raw cattle meat for the time being for safety reason."

So the expert says the disease 'cannot be transmitted to human beings', so what's the big deal? Why a public health alert, as you put it?

That's my view of Thailand. Wow.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing, any expert care to explain this ???

'The spread of the disease was reported to be most serious in Thapthun district of Uthai Thani because cattle raisers did not heed the advice of livestock officials ...'

When will Thai authorities learn that advice doesn't work? When something is this serious, it requires an order, from whichever agency needs to issue it.

'The spread of the disease was reported to be most serious in Thapthun district of Uthai Thani because cattle raisers did not heed the advice of livestock officials ...'

When will Thai authorities learn that advice doesn't work? When something is this serious, it requires an order, from whichever agency needs to issue it.

Yes but an order requires "inspectors" and "enforcement" and thats where things kinda fall apart.

Where I live, it's traditional to slaughter a cow and use the blood in a dirt floor mixture. It's binds the mixture together and adds a glossy finish.

But eating raw beef? That's gay and French...

Where do you live?

Edit: How many cows per square meter to do the whole dirt floor house?

Edited by 55Jay