Way around failing to get a re-entry permit to preserve a retirement visa?

I had a retirement visa issued in Thailand as an extension to an OA visa issued in the UK. I am now in the UK but did not get a re-entry permit when leaving Thailand as I did not expect to return to Thailand until after the retirement extension would have expired by passage of time. However, I will now be going back to Thailand (planning to stay for several months) before the retirement visa would have expired by passage of time. From reading various posts, I understand the retirement visa will have expired because I did not get a re-entry permit. Is there any way around this to get the retirement visa extended in the UK? Or do I have to get another OA visa to enter Thailand and restart the process for application of a retirement visa? Or has anyone any better suggestions?

There is nothing you can to but start all over again.

You don't have to start out with a OA visa.

You should try to get a single entry non-o visa from one of the consulates.

If not you should get a single entry tourist visa and change it to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration. You will need financial proof when you apply for the change.

The apply for the extension during the last 30 days the 90 day entry from the non-o or the visa from immigration,

• Like 2

However, I will now be going back to Thailand (planning to stay for several months)

Depends on what you mean by "several months." You could just get a tourist visa. Really no need to get an O-A or even go through the retirement extension process if you plan to stay for literally a few months.

Well the above post demonstrates how calling a retirement extension a visa can cause confusion.

Single Non-Imm O based on retiring in Thailand looks the best way to go. Put some money in a Thai bank quickly (800k baht) if that is the route you intend to go.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

The OP could enter on a 30 day waiver and convert that to an non-O at his local immigration office. Using the income method would mean no Thai bank involvement, and extending the non-O based on retirement is easy enough. When you get the extension, buy at least a single re-entry -- just in case. ;)

The OP could enter on a 30 day waiver and convert that to an non-O at his local immigration office. Using the income method would mean no Thai bank involvement, and extending the non-O based on retirement is easy enough. When you get the extension, buy at least a single re-entry -- just in case. wink.png

There are now very few immigration offices that can do the conversion. It has been reduced to one office per region of the country where the division headquarters are located. It also requires 2 trips to that office because their is a 15 day approval period before the visa/entry is stamped in the passport.

Entering the country on a visa exempt only allows 15 days to apply for the extension.

That is why it has suggested he get a single entry tourist visa.

• Like 2

The OP could enter on a 30 day waiver and convert that to an non-O at his local immigration office. Using the income method would mean no Thai bank involvement, and extending the non-O based on retirement is easy enough. When you get the extension, buy at least a single re-entry -- just in case. wink.png

There are now very few immigration offices that can do the conversion. It has been reduced to one office per region of the country where the division headquarters are located. It also requires 2 trips to that office because their is a 15 day approval period before the visa/entry is stamped in the passport.

Entering the country on a visa exempt only allows 15 days to apply for the extension.

That is why it has suggested he get a single entry tourist visa.

Sorry to hear about the changes. I'm glad I don't have to go through the process again - now only renew the extension and get a single re-entry permit "just in case". I've always used it anyway, so it's a no-brainer.

For the OP, just as an alternative -- he could arrive on a waiver and go to a neighbouring country for his non-O.

• Like 1

If still in the UK, you should get another O-A visa. You can get nearly two years out of it if you time it right, and will only have to do a border run one time during that two year period before needing an extension of stay.

Well the above post demonstrates how calling a retirement extension a visa can cause confusion.

Single Non-Imm O based on retiring in Thailand looks the best way to go. Put some money in a Thai bank quickly (800k baht) if that is the route you intend to go.

Why do I see so often, people tell about putting 800.000 bath in the bank, when the rule is: Either 800.000 bath in the bank OR show statement telling, You have a monthly income of 65.000 bath.

I just Wonder rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Why do I see so often, people tell about putting 800.000 bath in the bank, when the rule is: Either 800.000 bath in the bank OR show statement telling, You have a monthly income of 65.000 bath.

or combination of both?

• Like 1

Thanks for the helpful replies. I will get another OA visa in the UK and convert to retirement visa in Thailand. And I will certainly make sure I get a re-entry stamp whenever I leave Thailand...

if you are going to get an extension on the visa, dont jump through the hoops ( getting police report etc.) for a non 'o'a' just get a non 'o'

Study the timing.

It was easier before and I had a visa waiver. Then got a 90 day OA, non imm, also cost 50 or 60 quid for the proof letter.

and after 25 or thirty days applied for my retirement ext. I had to pay 50 or 60 quid to the Consul (AGAIN!) plus printouts to prove I had the dosh.....

Now I keep 800,000b in a bank, the letter costs 100 baht (Kasikorn, others similar for sure)

Then, once extension granted start spending the 800,000.

about 100 days (only needs 90 days BWTF) I top up the bank to at least 800,000b and then apply 4 another ext. Done and done.

My ext needs renewed endish April, no prob, in the middle of the "Months" we spend here, lots of slack.....

Take it easy and enjoy.

Good luck

Because it has to be seasoned for 2 months so one has to plan ahead.....IF THAT IS THE ROUTE YOU INTEND TO GO.,

The 'statement' you mention has to also be verified by your embassy. ... that can be more effort if you are far from BKK.

Edited by jacko45k

or combination of both?

yes. there are 3 ways. money in bank...or...affidavit of income from your embassy/consulate (might need to bring some documents up 2 u), or any combination that works out to the effect that you have that kind of money and are not going to work here.

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.

Live in Thailand now and I kind of like it but OMG.....why do they not give residency???

I lived in the Philippines before (yeah....i got tired of it and left because I still am alive)... They got an I card that costs only 50 usd i only had to go to any immigration office each January, for 5 minutes, and pay 10 dollars.

I guess they wanted me to stay...(which I did for 18 years) and spend all those dead presidents (USD's). They got heaps of it from me.

Perhaps Thailand will, one day, figure out that we are not all tourists.... and can kind of pump up their economy in less than magical ways, if they give us longevity.

P.S. ::: We know already that other countries (like my own) make it near impossible to long stay on visas. But, then again...it is sort of like you are buying a banana in an apple market. If you do manage to get there...you can make money, buy property, pay taxes, and get social security when it's all done. Here, you drink beer, dodge traffic and never own anything.

I am going to bring this one step further...... Who would think that the Chinese business people would want to monopolize the economy and prevent other foreign interests from investing...by influencing the immigration policies????

did i say that? Sometimes, by eliminating the impossibilities, you come up with the truth.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

Thanks for the helpful replies. I will get another OA visa in the UK and convert to retirement visa in Thailand. And I will certainly make sure I get a re-entry stamp whenever I leave Thailand...

if you are going to get an extension on the visa, dont jump through the hoops ( getting police report etc.) for a non 'o'a' just get a non 'o'

Which would probably be easier to obtain from one of the honorary consulates in the UK than the Embassy in London.

Because it has to be seasoned for 2 months so one has to plan ahead.....IF THAT IS THE ROUTE YOU INTEND TO GO.,

The 'statement' you mention has to also be verified by your embassy. ... that can be more effort if you are far from BKK.

Not for us Brits, though. Speaking from personal experience, those of us who live out in the sticks can simply mail the required income evidence to the Embassy, and their confirmation letter usually arrives in the post a week to 10 days later.

Not for us Brits, though. Speaking from personal experience, those of us who live out in the sticks can simply mail the required income evidence to the Embassy, and their confirmation letter usually arrives in the post a week to 10 days later.

Personally as I live 400 km from BKK I prefer to go to the embassy in person and spend 2 or 3 days in town as a mini break. I know it costs a bit more but it is only once a year.

You can turn up on 30-day exempt, get a non-o from immigration in Thailand and then get permission to stay based on retirement.

Possible but not easy anymore. Read the thread before posting please smile.png

I did it recently. It was very easy.

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.

Live in Thailand now and I kind of like it but OMG.....why do they not give residency???

I lived in the Philippines before (yeah....i got tired of it and left because I still am alive)... They got an I card that costs only 50 usd i only had to go to any immigration office each January, for 5 minutes, and pay 10 dollars.

I guess they wanted me to stay...(which I did for 18 years) and spend all those dead presidents (USD's). They got heaps of it from me.

Perhaps Thailand will, one day, figure out that we are not all tourists.... and can kind of pump up their economy in less than magical ways, if they give us longevity.

P.S. ::: We know already that other countries (like my own) make it near impossible to long stay on visas. But, then again...it is sort of like you are buying a banana in an apple market. If you do manage to get there...you can make money, buy property, pay taxes, and get social security when it's all done. Here, you drink beer, dodge traffic and never own anything.

I am going to bring this one step further...... Who would think that the Chinese business people would want to monopolize the economy and prevent other foreign interests from investing...by influencing the immigration policies????

did i say that? Sometimes, by eliminating the impossibilities, you come up with the truth.

Maybe they don't want to give residency more easily because they read drivel like that.

For your info, you can work here, pay taxes, start a business, buy property. You can also get residency, although it takes time and can be difficult. But the beauty of that is that it keeps the undesirables from getting it. If you feel not wanted you are free to leave. I certainly wouldn't stay in a country where I didn't feel wanted. There are plenty of counties to live and you'd have to be more than a little crazy to stay where you didn't feel wanted.

Edited by ldnguy

You can turn up on 30-day exempt, get a non-o from immigration in Thailand and then get permission to stay based on retirement.

Possible but not easy anymore. Read the thread before posting please smile.png

I did it recently. It was very easy.

Depends on which office is involved ...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/775440-way-around-failing-to-get-a-re-entry-permit-to-preserve-a-retirement-visa/#entry8654981

One of the local visa offices offers a service here in Pattaya for a few hundred baht to procure the letter.

I think it is a good idea to have money in the bank here for emergencies, ready to go, so that is how I do it.