Hospital in Bangkok clarifies 'ban' on pregnant employees

webfact

I am not surprised.... Look at the want adds for employment.

Wanted Lady, 21 to 28 years old, single, must have nice appearance and willing to travel. Etc ....

That would never fly in most countries.

This guy should be fired just for thinking this way let alone posting a notice. Disgraceful !!!

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not uncommon in Thailand some people to speak with their a$$e and not with their mouth.

If this had happened in Europe, the guy would have been dismissed immediately.

But this is Thailand...............

If this was written by a male, he should be castrated, preferable with a rusty penknife and two bricks.

And if a female she should be sterilised and have any kids she has taken of her.

That makes you just as bad.

Edited by gemini81

I am not surprised.... Look at the want adds for employment.

Wanted Lady, 21 to 28 years old, single, must have nice appearance and willing to travel. Etc ....

That would never fly in most countries.

This guy should be fired just for thinking this way let alone posting a notice. Disgraceful !!!

Ah, yes, the "thought police"...just what Thailand and the World needs.

But one question about your own workplace--what if a male employee was not going to father a child? Would they not be allowed 2 weeks paid paternity leave and two additional weeks without pay? If they are not entitled to this same benefit, then your workplace is not fully "egalitarian", IMO.

Congrats on fatherhood.

I was trying to get at the point about gender and equality, so I shared my experience. Even though it's not the norm in most workplaces, it's slowly starting to change a bit.

Regarding the fathering issue I can only respond by saying that if an employee, regardless of gender, adopts a newborn they also qualify for the same benefit. In that sense I believe the policy is also equitable. For those that forgo having children then it's just another benefit that's not utilized. Is it unfair that some parents get time off but others don't? I say no because everyone has the same access to the benefit if they meet the outlined criteria. Much like those without kids, even some parents don't get time off, the policy strictly relates to newborns, whether biological or adopted.

Employers are starting to see value with this stance because they don't want to lose qualified employees or make them disgruntled by taking a hard line on the issue. I understand the burden it can play on a small business, but at the same time if a business chooses to accept certain breaks or incentives from the government then it just becomes a cost of doing business when mandated. In my example, the employer does it voluntarily, at least regarding paid time off.

• Like 1

The nurse profession in Thailand is so abused. There are so many things wrong here, you guys have no idea.

1. The salary is so low, the nurses work their ass off, at least 1-2 hours extra per day without receiving extra pay.

Usually they work 50 hours per week but only get paid 40 hours. not to mention that there are classes and seminars they have to take without ever being compensated.

2. Salary is usually around 25-45K tops. It's one of the most underpaid professional jobs here. BNH, Bumrumgrad, Samitivej all pay 35-45 tops. for registered nurses.

3. They overcome and take advantage of Labour laws because of exceptions for medical professions and "Emergency Work" (example: Chapter 2 in the labour law)

Thai labour law protects extended work hours and enforces a 2 hours brake if the job day exceeds 8 hours. but nurses usually get 1 hour only for a whole 16 hours shift due to the amount of work they have to take and the lack of professional nurses.

it's ridiculous how they advantage of "Emergency Work" exception in labour law.

4. many hospitals do not give full 90 days leave if the employee did not work 1 year at the hospital.

5. It's all about licking a**es of bosses, that's how the system works.

Ok, the few good points:

1. They can take consecutive 5-7 days off per month

2. Hospital will cover birth delivery up to 3 children and once after working 1-2 years.

Labour Protection Act B.E. 2541 => http://www.labour.go.th/en/index.php/2011-04-07-10-49-49/18-2011-05-04-15-52-28

The nurse profession in Thailand is so abused. There are so many things wrong here, you guys have no idea.

1. The salary is so low, the nurses work their ass off, at least 1-2 hours extra per day without receiving extra pay.

Usually they work 50 hours per week but only get paid 40 hours. not to mention that there are classes and seminars they have to take without ever being compensated.

2. Salary is usually around 25-45K tops. It's one of the most underpaid professional jobs here. BNH, Bumrumgrad, Samitivej all pay 35-45 tops. for registered nurses.

3. They overcome and take advantage of Labour laws because of exceptions for medical professions and "Emergency Work" (example: Chapter 2 in the labour law)

Thai labour law protects extended work hours and enforces a 2 hours brake if the job day exceeds 8 hours. but nurses usually get 1 hour only for a whole 16 hours shift due to the amount of work they have to take and the lack of professional nurses.

it's ridiculous how they advantage of "Emergency Work" exception in labour law.

4. many hospitals do not give full 90 days leave if the employee did not work 1 year at the hospital.

5. It's all about licking a**es of bosses, that's how the system works.

Ok, the few good points:

1. They can take consecutive 5-7 days off per month

2. Hospital will cover birth delivery up to 3 children and once after working 1-2 years.

Labour Protection Act B.E. 2541 => http://www.labour.go.th/en/index.php/2011-04-07-10-49-49/18-2011-05-04-15-52-28

Agreed they don't enjoy the benefits of Western counterparts but the nurses I have spoken with enjoy better perks and are treated better than most of the Thai workforce. Thailand certainly has very exploitive practices towards its workforce.

Thanks for the enlightening information.

What a croc of shit, this is Thailand doing what it does best when it gets caught, come out with some bullshit excuse, I am surprised that they did not blame it on an employee

And its TV doing what it does it best--applying western concepts and criticisms to a country that is not Western and has only been exposed to the West for a brief part of its history.

Not to worry though, in another 30 years it will no longer need to rely on appeasing the Wests PC attitudes since it will be tied much closer to China--and China could care a less about some nurses.

Cheers

What a croc of shit, this is Thailand doing what it does best when it gets caught, come out with some bullshit excuse, I am surprised that they did not blame it on an employee

And its TV doing what it does it best--applying western concepts and criticisms to a country that is not Western and has only been exposed to the West for a brief part of its history.

Not to worry though, in another 30 years it will no longer need to rely on appeasing the Wests PC attitudes since it will be tied much closer to China--and China could care a less about some nurses.

Cheers

But it suits them to adapt the western ways, when it is of benefit to them, still a croc of shit, from un educated people

Good for the employee for posting the memo. Normally Thai's just accept. I know of a business where they just implemented a policy where if you are overweight they take 1000b per month from your salary until you lose weight then they will give you back your own money. And nobody is standing up for themselves. Crazy....

Maybe crazy; but a good incentive to loose weight the company looking after the health of it's employees