Divorce papers from Germany

I am helping a friend to get married, his English is very poor. He has no one in Germany that can help him get a certified copy of his divorce papers.

I assume that application for the document cannot be done by email? Does anyone have a 'Musterbrief' that I can use please? Does this need to be certified at the embassy in Bangkok?

I think I do need the divorce papers as when I got married, they were asked for despite presenting my 'freedom to marry' paper.

Thanks...

I would try the court and see if it cna be done by email. Many services can now be done by email.

Divorce must be certified by embassy, but experience from members differs per amphur. Some amphurs will want the divorce certifcate while others are content with the fact that the embassy checked the details and one has the affirmation letter.

• Like 2

I would try the court and see if it cna be done by email. Many services can now be done by email.

Divorce must be certified by embassy, but experience from members differs per amphur. Some amphurs will want the divorce certifcate while others are content with the fact that the embassy checked the details and one has the affirmation letter.

I am sure that is what I did but it was 10 years ago.

In the Uk there are 2 papers, the decree nisi

(from Wikipedia is a court order that does not have any force until such time that a particular condition is met, such as a subsequent petition to the court or the passage of a specified period of time)

This was followed in my case I think 6 weeks later by the decree absolute

(again from Wikipedia Once the condition is met, the ruling becomes decree absolute and is binding. Typically, the condition is that no new evidence or further petitions with a bearing on the case are introduced to the court. The wording of such a decree is generally in the form of "that the marriage, had and solemnized on (date) between AB and CD, be dissolved by reason that (grounds) UNLESS sufficient cause be shown to the court why this decree should not be made absolute within six weeks of the making hereof".)

I suspect what your friend will need would be the German version of the decree absolute.

I got mine from the court where the divorce case was heard. The alternative if he cannot remember would be the solicitors he used and if he can't remember then he may have a problem. At hat point he may have to go online and into the German legal system who I am sure will be able to help him.

The German embassy in BKK should be able to tell him what they need and possibly point him in the right direction.