Thailand's Department of Internal Trade imposes control on food prices

webfact

Department of Internal Trade imposes control on food prices

PNECO571112001000902_12112014_024032.jpg

BANGKOK, 12 November 2014 (NNT) - According to the Department of Internal Trade (DIT), the adjustment of diesel prices would have a strong impact on the cost of living as well as food prices throughout the country.

In light of numerous complaints to the hotline 1569 regarding high food prices, DIT Director-General Boonyarit Kalayanimit has sent DIT officials nationwide to check up on food stalls that allegedly have been overpricing their items.

Vendors who price common ready-to-eat food items higher than 35 baht per dish will be warned and may face legal action. The Director-General also directed his comments to food stall owners to not complain about the rising cost of LPG and use it as a legitimate excuse for raising their food prices.

Even though the costs of LPG gas canister have risen to 4.50 baht per canister, it has raised the costs of cooking by only 20 satang per dish on average, he said.

Regarding the Energy Ministry’s policy to adjust diesel prices, Mr. Boonyarit admits that it would affect the logistics sector, as diesel is the main fuel used for transportation.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-12 footer_n.gif

There are several food vendors I know of that are pricing common dishes at 60-70 baht. And that's perfectly allright, after all Thailand is a market economy. If I don't want to pay the price, I always have the option to go elsewhere.

Certainly the increased price of LPG (apparently 20 satang a dish) should be calculated to the customer. Things get more expensive all the time, if foodvendors have a higher cost of sale due to increased LPG prices, increased prices of relevant ingredients they should be allowed to calculate these, otherwise they might not be a foodvendor for very long.

What I find amazing here is that when people complain about high food prices and the powers that be go after the vendor, when the truth is that the vendor has to charge higher food prices as the non-elected governments fiscal policy is in absolute tatters.

• Like 2

I find it hard to understand this. Let the vendors choose whatever price they want! If it is too much, I (and hopefully others) won't buy again.

Or is this too simple a way to run an economy?

It's a further futile attempt to manufacture 'happiness' among the population by interfering with the market. The whole thing will disintegrate into a shambles eventually.

• Like 1

All of these efforts at micro-managing this stuff don't work. Eventually, the lid has to come off the pot to release the pressure and the price will rise rapidly.

I take, you are not talking foodprices here??rolleyes.gif

At present we have World LOW prices for fuels. Now what is going to happen to the 20 satang increases when oil goes from $75 a barrel to $110 a barrel?

Then we will see prices skyrocket and no amount f order will stop 35 baht prices climbing beyond the average persons reach

I don't know what ready to eat dishes this govt. guy is talking about.

But when the wife and I stop by local food courts like at Tescos and Big Cs around BKK, a lot of them are charging 45 to 55 baht or more per single ordinary Thai dish.

One example: Last time we were by the Tesco Food Court at FortuneTown, I'd bet there wasn't a single 35 baht meat dish anywhere to be found there.

Another: My wife likes a Thai soup made entirely from mushrooms and some other veggies. No meat. The food court at the Tops market center near our home sells it for 50 baht.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I don't know what ready to eat dishes this govt. guy is talking about.

But when the wife and I stop by local food courts like at Tescos and Big Cs around BKK, a lot of them are charging 45 to 55 baht or more per single ordinary Thai dish.

One example: Last time we were by the Tesco Food Court at FortuneTown, I'd bet there wasn't a single 35 baht meat dish anywhere to be found there.

Another: My wife likes a Thai soup made entirely from mushrooms and some other veggies. No meat. The food court at the Tops market center near our home sells it for 50 baht.

I think that is what he is talking about. He is saying the prices that are now at 45-55 should be reduced to 35 or they will force them to.

the government was talking about this same thing months ago, as reported here... working with the major shopping center / food retailer centers like Big C and Tesco to set up supposed "food court" areas where a basic selection of Thai main dishes were to be priced in the target range.

In the ensuing months, I've seen NONE of that... but I have seen a lot of 45+ baht menu boards.

Forcing all street vendors to buy the cheapest ingredients possible is not a good idea. I don't mind paying 60 baht per dish for a plate of rice that won't taste like the Styrofoam box it comes in or that would be actually cooked with oil suitable not only for bio diesel.

At present we have World LOW prices for fuels. Now what is going to happen to the 20 satang increases when oil goes from $75 a barrel to $110 a barrel?

Then we will see prices skyrocket and no amount f order will stop 35 baht prices climbing beyond the average persons reach

How long does it take for lower crude oil prices to be reflected in pump prices? I really don't know.