Pickup or Sedan for typical BKK driving

Skyboogie

I need to choose between the BT-50 or the beautiful Mazda 3. My question is, Which type of vehicle is more practical for Bangkok?

Should I go for a high riding Pickup that can withstand a collision and wade through flooded Sois?

Does a pickup command more "respect" when pulling into heavy traffic?

Should I go for the family sedan that's more agile and easier to park?

Help me solve this issue guys.

Do you have a reason to believe that a Mazda 3 cannot withstand a collision?

Sois in Bangkok very rarely flood enough to be worried about.

Sedan vs Sedan I am sure it will hold up well. It's the pickups, buses and commercial trucks that have me concerned. I've got two little girls to protect.

I think I just answered my own question.

I hope the wife doesn't mind driving a pickup... I might be sleeping in the spare room for a while. sad.png

I think the most noticeable disadvantage with a pickup would be the wider turning circle

compared with a sedan, especially in tight situations encountered with city driving.

The others would be physical size in narrow streets, and bumpy suspension.

• Like 2

I suggest that you should avoid driving a pickup in Bangkok by all means, with all that road congestion and narrow sois, oh my God, sometimes it becomes very stressful when you lose your way and drive your pickup in one of those narrow sois with motor bikes parked on both sides. I remember once trying to drive my pickup in a soi in the back of Big C (Carrefour at that time) at Ratchadaphisek Road, I could not escape to the big road, sometimes there is a dead end, you never know.

And when pulling into heavy traffic you should not expect any respect in Bangkok whenever you are driving a pickup. Beware of the big bus drivers, some of them are driving very aggressively.

I suggest that you should avoid driving a pickup in Bangkok by all means, with all that road congestion and narrow sois, oh my God, sometimes it becomes very stressful when you lose your way and drive your pickup in one of those narrow sois with motor bikes parked on both sides. I remember once trying to drive my pickup in a soi in the back of Big C (Carrefour at that time) at Ratchadaphisek Road, I could not escape to the big road, sometimes there is a dead end, you never know.

And when pulling into heavy traffic you should not expect any respect in Bangkok whenever you are driving a pickup. Beware of the big bus drivers, some of them are driving very aggressively.

Since the BT50 and Mazda 3 have almost the same width I really don't see that as an issue.

Hmmmmmm, I did drive heavy goods trucks in The City of London, sooooo........... .......If your girly then drive a Jazz or anything smallish.......rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

For everyday Bangkok driving I would prefer Ford Fiesta Sport with manual gear.

Pickup is only necessary for transporting of big loads...

Otherwise forget about pickup in Bangkok.

Edited by Barin

Manual gear? Why anyone would prefer manual gear with stop-go traffic is beyond me.

• Like 2

For city driving a sedan would be the best choice, that's what they're

designed for, whereas pickups are not.

Don't agree..................

OK, so you don't agree…………...

Does that mean you think sedans are designed for rural use and carrying heavy loads,

and pickups designed for city traffic and narrow streets! laugh.png

For city driving a sedan would be the best choice, that's what they're

designed for, whereas pickups are not.

Don't agree..................

OK, so you don't agree…………...

Does that mean you think sedans are designed for rural use and carrying heavy loads,

and pickups designed for city traffic and narrow streets! laugh.png

Nope, it's about usage wherever one lives..........coffee1.gif

This is a great debate, seeing pickups and SUV's are the number one selling vehicle in America for women. Yes I said women. Why you ask ? Because they sit up higher and can see the road better, the mirrors are bigger making it easier to see the space around you and trucks have better body markers. What are body markers ? They are points on the vehicle to help you judge area better. You can actually see the hood on a truck, you sit low in a car and look out instead of out and down. Parking a pickup is much easier than a car. just ask your pickup owners. you can see more in the big mirrors. As for turning radius , most people in Thailand turn like they are driving a dam 18 wheeler.

I am looking into an Isuzu with the 2.5 diesel. comes with a 3 year 100,000 km warranty Those small cars come with 1.5 and 1.2 liter motors unless you go Civic or Corolla.

Toyota also has a very good Diesel motor. Mitsubishi has a good truck and is giving a 80,000 baht discount right now.

Take them out for a test drive, Let us know what you pick.

• Like 2

What ever you pick just check out the service department reviews. You want to by something with very good service reviews. My girl has a Honda city and I feel like we are dragging on the ground, anyway we made a 10:00 am appointment for a tire rotation and oil change here in Chonburi , we arrived at 9;55 finally got waited on and was told we could pick the car up at 3;00 pm. I said MIA DEE YOU CLOWN !!!! long story short we had to bring it to Bangkok Honda for service. They understand what appointment means.

You have never driven an auto trans truck...?

I think he's never driven a manual car in Bangkok. Auto all the way, sorry I can't advise p/up or car, I use both types (all Auto) in the city and they both have their positive and negative sides.

Take for instance the roads you will be driving along on a daily basis, are they in good condition or so narrow that you are running with two wheels in the gutter most of the time?

European sedans are damn expensive to keep in replacement lower suspension joints, Japanese sedans will be cheaper, but I don't believe they will need replacing any less than others if the roads are bad. My 4x4 Japanese used a similar amount on the same roads hasn't needed anything replacing.

If however you live on a well tended road then no worries about these things.

For floods, if its raining really heavily when i leave home I'll take the 4x4, but inevitability I'm out in the sedan when the rain starts and my experience has been that even if the road is that badly flooded that only a 4x4 will get through, you won't get through as someone will have already gone and flooded their car and no one can move.

• Haha 1

Do you have a reason to believe that a Mazda 3 cannot withstand a collision?

Sois in Bangkok very rarely flood enough to be worried about.

Sedan vs Sedan I am sure it will hold up well. It's the pickups, buses and commercial trucks that have me concerned. I've got two little girls to protect.

I think I just answered my own question.

I hope the wife doesn't mind driving a pickup... I might be sleeping in the spare room for a while. sad.png

You might rethink your idea and buy a yellow submarine. Bangkok could sink tomorrow. Stay on the safe side of life. The wife doesn't mind.

BTW, what's "Typical Bangkok driving?" w00t.gif

post-158336-0-98686400-1415887123_thumb.

post-158336-0-41170600-1415887257_thumb.

post-158336-0-96486600-1415887422_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

Funny enough, living in Bangkok, I've the same question: top of the range auto pick up or equivalent-money sedan?...

I'm leaning towards pick ups.

Pros; better view, more robust, better presence, better value for money (thanks to lower taxes)

Cons: cost of fuel

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1