Transferring Money Out Of Thailand W/ No Cert.

My bank, SCB, lets me wire transfer money out of Thailand if it's under USD $20,000 without a problem.

However, to transfer over that they want me to go to my branch in Chiang Mai (where I have the account) and get a Foreign Currency Certificate (what they called a credit reference). This is too inconvenient for me right now.

Does anyone have experience with transferring money (sourced outside Thailand) without this certificate? Can I just go multiple times to different branches say, spread out over a few weeks, in order to transfer over that maximum?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I can't help you but I am glad to read your success in getting your money out of Thailand with SCB. I am with the Kasikorn Bank and they are a nightmare, Kasirorn BKK tells me (in writting via email) that I can transfer up to 20,000 USD out of Thailand any time I want however when I go to my branch in Phuket they deny it is possible and want an approval from the their Banks Financial Director in BKK, a full history of my transfers into Thailand plus documentation for what I want the money for outside Thailand.

Sound Like I need to move on the SCB.

Brgds

Edited by engism

It's been a long time since I transferred money OUT of Thailand. :o The last time I did that I found it easier to get a bank check made out to my US bank and then sent it EMS directly to my US bank. I endorsed the check and wrote for deposit only under my endorsement. Cheaper than a wire transfer too.

It's been a long time since I transferred money OUT of Thailand. :o The last time I did that I found it easier to get a bank check made out to my US bank and then sent it EMS directly to my US bank. I endorsed the check and wrote for deposit only under my endorsement. Cheaper than a wire transfer too.

Interesting. Could you be a little more specific?

It's difficult to be much more specific. I went to my Thai bank and asked them to make a bank check out to the name of the US bank that I gave them. I then went to the post office and sent it Express Mail Service. I think the EMS to the US costs about 600 baht but it does get there quickly. I also filled out a deposit slip from my US checkbook and wrote below my endorsement for deposit only.

My bank, SCB, lets me wire transfer money out of Thailand if it's under USD $20,000 without a problem.

However, to transfer over that they want me to go to my branch in Chiang Mai (where I have the account) and get a Foreign Currency Certificate (what they called a credit reference). This is too inconvenient for me right now.

I have seen SCB spoken well of many times in this forum and I would have thought that any decent bank accepts payment orders by mail, including an order for an international wire transfer, and that any of the bank’s branches would give out the necessary forms. Give your branch in Chiang Mai a call and find out.

--------------

Maestro