Name Change after Marriage - new Passport for Visa ?

kanomsugar

Hello :)

I am from Austria and my boyfriend is Thai. We will register our marriage next month.

I have two questions and I would be glad if you can help me:

(1) With registering our marriage, I will also change my last name. Do I need a new passport in order to apply for marriage visa, or can I still use my old one?

(2) I am on a tourist visa now. Can I change my tourist visa after registering the marriage here in Bangkok to Non-Immigrant O, or do I need to leave the country?

Thanks a lot in advance! :-)

I already found out about question (2) - it seems that a visa change would be possible in Bangkok, but that it is much more difficult with regards to the documents required and asked for by the immigration bureau. Thus, it is probably more hassle free to apply for a new visa abroad.

I have heard that Savannakhet seems to be the easiest place to get it done. However, how about other places?? Vientiane, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore - any of them recommended?

Still, I have not been able to find answers to question (1): Does anyone know how long the passport with my maiden name will be valid? And is it possible to use it to apply for a new visa, or do I need to get a new passport first?

I hope anyone of you knows about this. Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi,

I cannot say for sure what the answer to #1 will be as things here are usually able to be done one way or another

You will probably need a proof of some sort...maybe a name change form from you embassy? if such a thing exists but.........

For your own ease I will say in today's world it is best to have all things match.

Otherwise sometime you will want to travel Internationally etc & run into so many problems.

These days especially passing thru or going to the USA all your forms of ID must match. ( ID, Passport etc.)

Of course in your case you will also be able to get a Thai citizenship based on your marriage to a Thai man.

Which for what ever reason is easy for a foreign woman who marries a Thai man but almost impossible for most foreign men

who marry a Thai woman so maybe also start on that asap after marriage & never have to deal with visa's again in Thailand ;)