Helping solve the water crisis in Thailand

joeyg

Helping solving the water crisis,,,,,A good start would be building dams to store water for the dry season,,,For the rest of the country where it floods all the time one could built Dykes like we done in the Netherlands But,,But,, WHO is going to pay for this Mammoth project.

joeyg ... it would help you you researched how to make the soil more retentive ... a problem that affects every country ...

Wow! all interesting replies. The most provoking from Daniel Boon. I taught clinical nutrition for 20 years. The intro to the class was all about soil physiology. Also shortly before I left SoCal I had a large garden that and received "certified grower" approval from san Diego County. gardening has been a passion for years.

I was just taking with a friend about soil conservation/ preservation yesterday. And your right on. Like where I was in India for 3 months most of the soil is clay base with little or no top soil. Clay does a great job of retaining water. But the top soil is essential for aeration and nutrient absorbtion at the roots via humic acid.

And your right, it is a problem everywhere. I believe the top soil is completly gone in the USA.

One of the best things they could do is stop burning all the agricultural wastes and mulch with them. You wouldn't even have to shred it although it would break down faster.

As a start I would suggest to dig and create a small lake in your land although I don't know how big your land is, then you can start thinking how to help Thailand and I doubt if anyone listens to your ideas.

You are not living in Southern California any more.

I don't have land but several friends do and have lots of it up in different parts of Issan.

And your probably right about anyone listening. Although I think it's worth a shot. There is growing awareness here about organics and the environment. Although it's gotta be a tiny fraction of the population.

Been traveling here since 1971 via the USN so I have seen changes. Most not for the better unfortunately. And at the rate SoCal is going, if they don't get snow and or rain very soon there will be no water...

Helping solving the water crisis,,,,,A good start would be building dams to store water for the dry season,,,For the rest of the country where it floods all the time one could built Dykes like we done in the Netherlands But,,But,, WHO is going to pay for this Mammoth project.

Good question. I think prisoners should be made to work instead of sitting in a cell and rotting or God knows what. Also maybe some kind public works projects could be instituted like Roosevelt did in the USA.

Well I can dream can't I? The problem is the same almost everywhere, corruption and no leadership. Just depends to what degree and under what colors of the flag.

If the leaders were not so corrupt I don't believe it would be so hard really.

Get rid of Songkran. In Africa they have solar powered units that transform dirty water into potable water. I believe an American company sells these units. Water conservation should be taught in schools as it will really affect future generations. We buy our drinking water from the baht a litre machines but I only trust one as I have watched the lady change filters. Maybe bringing back huge water towers or under water storage tanks to catch water during the rainy season. This might work and also reduce evaporation. Also in the Virgin Islands I observed large asphalt catch basins.

• Like 1

Drink beer instead of water?

555 I was waiting for that. Actually I was going to open up with that but I knew it wouldn't take long for someone else to say it.

Unfortunately it takes at least twice the amount of water to make beer commercially. Make 50 gallons, 50 gallons of water are wasted unless some recycling takes place.

I know it's a damn shame...

joeyg ... it would help you you researched how to make the soil more retentive ... a problem that affects every country ...

Wow! all interesting replies. The most provoking from Daniel Boon. I taught clinical nutrition for 20 years. The intro to the class was all about soil physiology. Also shortly before I left SoCal I had a large garden that and received "certified grower" approval from san Diego County. gardening has been a passion for years.

I was just taking with a friend about soil conservation/ preservation yesterday. And your right on. Like where I was in India for 3 months most of the soil is clay base with little or no top soil. Clay does a great job of retaining water. But the top soil is essential for aeration and nutrient absorbtion at the roots via humic acid.

And your right, it is a problem everywhere. I believe the top soil is completly gone in the USA.

One of the best things they could do is stop burning all the agricultural wastes and mulch with them. You wouldn't even have to shred it although it would break down faster.

The shredding would be a good idea, smoky season starting soon.

Al this burning is outrageous but nobody seems to be able to stop this from recurring every year.

I like your ideas but I am not very optimistic about you being successful here in Thailand for obvious reasons.

Success anyway and keep us updated.

before digging 'a lake', find out the evaporation rate in your area / Thailand (in Queensland at Wivenhoe Dam its 1.74 metres a year)

and didn't Bligh stuff that up and flooded the capital city.

And people say Thailand can't get the water thing right.

Farmers and growers here have no water management's clue in their body, for them, water is abundant

and should be free to use and grow 3 crops of rice a year and sell it to the government for a profit,

here there is no tomorrow, there is only today, will cross that bridge with no water when we get to it...

If you can figure out how to educate those clueless people and restore water supply to all year around

they will make a god out of you here and build a statues in your honor...

Another one who thinks farmers are stupid, I expect they would think you are stupid for not knowing how to grow rice.

Farmers know very well about water management and if you knew anything about rice growing you would know this.

Rice farming relies on water management as the water level in paddy needs to be kept at an optimum level and water pumped in or out into a holding system such as a pond or canal.

I am no farmer but I live in a rice farming area and get around paddy most days and see what happens, observing and learning is much better than slagging off at something you don't understand.

• Like 2

Farmers and growers here have no water management's clue in their body, for them, water is abundant

and should be free to use and grow 3 crops of rice a year and sell it to the government for a profit,

here there is no tomorrow, there is only today, will cross that bridge with no water when we get to it...

If you can figure out how to educate those clueless people and restore water supply to all year around

they will make a god out of you here and build a statues in your honor...

They don't seem to have much idea about water management but the Khmer ppl built reservoirs 2000 years ago when we were living in mud huts so get over to Cambodia and see if there are any Khmers left to advise you

Your being a teacher, and I have no doubts you were a good one, you are naturally inclined to believe at least a percentage of your students wish to learn from you.

That was in California.

Now you are in Thailand.

You will not teach Thais anything. That is one reason Thailand is still a third world country.

If you are tempted to derisively laugh at my advice, here's a thread you might learn from:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/776319-the-old-hands-here/

• Like 1

Your being a teacher, and I have no doubts you were a good one, you are naturally inclined to believe at least a percentage of your students wish to learn from you.

That was in California.

Now you are in Thailand.

You will not teach Thais anything. That is one reason Thailand is still a third world country.

If you are tempted to derisively laugh at my advice, here's a thread you might learn from:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/776319-the-old-hands-here/

It isn't that I don't believe you, I do. After all like I said California is in dire straits over water but so are many other places. Any way it was a nice thought...

• Like 1