Buddhism being forced upon my half Thai daughter..,.

EyesWideOpen

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually the schools devote about 3 days of the week to Buddhist related activities.

30 minutes would be unlikely.

PS

Thinking a 4 year old should not be in a Thai school.

I can only go by what I was told by the administrator at the school. She told me

that Buddhist teaching was 30 minutes on Friday morning from 8:00 to 8:30. I am

not a party to what exactly happens during the course of the day, so perhaps a

farang teacher here could chip in to this thread with a better idea of what actually

happens during the course of the school day....

All the respect, culture, dance, much of the sport, Thainess and flag worship are related to Buddhism.

As is wai-ing and bowing.

Every day 15-30 mins, starts and ends with prayers, usually parents meetings include prayers too.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

It seems that the OP's misconception of Buddhism is almost as blinkered as I'd imagine the Thais that pretend to practice it at the school.

Taught by a good teacher Buddhism is a lesson on psychology, not religious in the slightest.

The problem is that along with other factors the teachings of B, along with all the nationalistic BS and Animism is dumped into one neat little package that is labelled as Buddhism but actually isn't in the true root sense. Schools use, as the OP points out, it as a control mechanism rather than what Buddhism is actually about. But I wouldn't be that offended by it.

Not that many extremist Buddhist about.

The kid won't be harmed.

EyesWideOpen, MindTightlyShut

Disagree. Believing in what is not real, is to deny the rational power of

the mind. If you wish to believe in gods, leprechauns, ghosts, and aliens,

that is your choice. I personally will stick to what is real, which is a much

better bet... :-) But stick to whatever works for you.....

Do you know what Buddhists believe in? Do you know they don't believe in a god?

Yeh, but Thais aren't really Buddhists, more a form of emperor worshipers.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Yeh, but Thais aren't really Buddhists, more a form of emperor worshipers.

Didn't know you spoke for all Thais. Must be an awesome responsibility. I'd suggest some humility and a field trip learning about Buddhism in Thailand.

I am sorry but I really don't understand the OP problem. He moved to a Buddhist country and had a child and is now expressing surprise that she is being exposed to Buddhism

Move back to your home country and you won't have this problem

So if a Thai family moved to America , and they found out their child was

being indoctrinated into Christianity at school, you would advise them to

move back to Thailand ?? Nice one......

If a Thai family enrolled their daughter in a private school in the US then i would not be surprised if it had a Christian agenda. If they did not like that then I would suggest they locate another school with a compatible agenda. I would be quite surprised if they were shocked an american private school had a Christian influence.

I would also be surprised if they cam onto a forum and started criticizing the Christian religion since the US has always been considered founded in Christian principles and they would likely realize it is in rather poor taste to insult other peoples' religions.

Its unfortunate you are hoping to raise your child in your likeness. The last thing humanity needs is more intolerance of other peoples' religions.

Kids are not as dumb as you think they are. Even when taught one religion, they can rationalize out whether that religion is the one they want to keep. The idea is, to have some kind of rationale....

let me explain it simply.

Without darkness...what is the meaning of light?

Same for coldness...what then is warmth?

Take away the good...what is left? Does it always have to be only the bad?

You see the difference... The last idea is philosophical...not physical...as the first two are.

One step further....Religion can be philosophical as well. It can be a series of analogies, ideas, moralities..intangibles.

Without a reference point (a philosophy of life and death...from no matter which perspective/religion) a mind is empty. Full of physical ideas...but a vacuum of philosophical ones.

Science, Math, Language Biology, etc....all good...but meaningless without a philosophy of life.

Even worse is to deny them the understanding of their peers...those who receive that philosophy, that your child must one day tolerate. They must understand why others follow that religion/idea. I think it is critical that they do.

Edited by slipperylobster

I am sorry but I really don't understand the OP problem. He moved to a Buddhist country and had a child and is now expressing surprise that she is being exposed to Buddhism

If a Thai family enrolled their daughter in a private school in the US then i would not be surprised if it had a Christian agenda. If they did not like that then I would suggest they locate another school with a compatible agenda. I would be quite surprised if they were shocked an american private school had a Christian influence.

I would also be surprised if they cam onto a forum and started criticizing the Christian religion since the US has always been considered founded in Christian principles and they would likely realize it is in rather poor taste to insult other peoples' religions.

Its unfortunate you are hoping to raise your child in your likeness. The last thing humanity needs is more intolerance of other peoples' religions.

Nope.....

http://www.alternet.org/story/155985/5_reasons_america_is_not_--_and_has_never_been_--_a_christian_nation

1. The Text of the Constitution Does Not Say the United States Is a Christian Nation

If a Christian nation had been the intent of the founders, they would have put that in the Constitution, front and center. Yet the text of the Constitution contains no references to God, Jesus Christ, or Christianity. That document does not state that our country is an officially Christian nation.

Kids are not as dumb as you think they are. Even when taught one religion, they can rationalize out whether that religion is the one they want to keep. The idea is, to have some kind of rationale....

You see the difference... The last idea is philosophical...not physical...as the first two are.

One step further....Religion can be philosophical as well. It can be a series of analogies, ideas, moralities..intangibles.

Without a reference point (a philosophy of life and death...from no matter which perspective/religion) a mind is empty. Full of physical ideas...but a vacuum of philosophical ones.

Science, Math, Language Biology, etc....all good...but meaningless without a philosophy of life.

Even worse is to deny them the understanding of their peers...those who receive that philosophy, that your child must one day tolerate. They must understand why others follow that religion/idea. I think it is critical that they do.

How about Einstein weighing in on this matter.....

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2008/may/12/peopleinscience.religion

"In the letter, he states: "The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this."

30 Minutes a week is nothing to worry about, Bhuddism is not a real Religeon i.e there is no God looking down from the sky!

Think about the worst possible Religeon on this Planet,now wouldn't you have something to complain about ?

Edited by MAJIC

I used to enjoy religious instruction at my old school. My old reacher and I had some very interesting discussions in class. Made me see what a heap of crap it was and turned me into a lifelong atheist.

All the Kids I knew at school,had Cristianity foisted on them,when they grew up they made up their own mind,I don't know of one pupil or church goer that believes it now!

Buddhism is part of the curriculum in Thai schools.

Would you freak out if your kids did the Xmas nativity, or Easter. It is what it is, and believe me it could be a lot worse.

Just wait till the start "social studies". The bit about rightful hierarchy and sakdina is priceless.

As near as I can tell, the Thai " educational" system is designed to keep the lower

class in a condition of permanent ignorance. Not a problem for the wealthy elite,

as they all send their children abroad for a real education. And as you say,

sort of a result of the feudal system of sakdina. And religion in the form of

Buddhism is a part of the process to make the peasants happy with their

lot in life. Meaning the concept of reincarnation. Yeah as a peasant you have

a crappy life now, but just put up with it, and you will come back as something else

that is much better.

No, I have no intention of allowing the school system here to put mindless

tripe in the head of my daughter. So I am planning on going back to America

within the next couple of years so she can receive a real education, and

attend a real university. And then go onto to a real job. The income of Thai

university graduates here is so low as to be astonishing. Many of my friends

here with children are making the same choice. Thailand was fun as a single

man, but no place to raise a child......

But I was astonished to find out that this is basically taught in the curriculum though. Really quite shocking.

My future step kids went to a Muslim School in BKK because we live near a Muslim area . It is not a bad school as schools go in Thailand but very dependant on the quality of teacher they have for the year. They were also taught Buddhism at that school . However if they were taught the Fourfold Noble Truths that the Buddha taught then they would not need any of the crap that coats the outside of Buddhism in Thailand now.

My other stepson from my first marriage was bought up as a Buddhist but is now a Catholic. He just gravitated to Catholism and ended up marring a very severe/devout Catholic. If it makes him happy then i am happy.

How about Einstein weighing in on this matter.....

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2008/may/12/peopleinscience.religion

"In the letter, he states: "The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this."

You sure you want to use Einstein as a moral compass?

A few points for me.

Most parents fail to discuss having a moral code for their children.

At a young age children are not capable of the thought processes used in religious education. They are simply being exposed to basic moral training.

I wouldn't be concerned at all until a child was about 8. Then I would simply be sure to expose a child to my opinions and observations.

A child raised in Thailand needs to be able to understand the people around her.

I teach some here. I have the freedom in teaching to discuss anything. My students are bright and the standards for admission are extremely high (.5% of applicants are accepted and family income has no bearing on admission)

(BTW I was raised u/u, not as a religion but to expose me to the beliefs of different people -)

A few points for me.

Most parents fail to discuss having a moral code for their children.

At a young age children are not capable of the thought processes used in religious education. They are simply being exposed to basic moral training.

I wouldn't be concerned at all until a child was about 8. Then I would simply be sure to expose a child to my opinions and observations.

A child raised in Thailand needs to be able to understand the people around her.

I teach some here. I have the freedom in teaching to discuss anything. My students are bright and the standards for admission are extremely high (.5% of applicants are accepted and family income has no bearing on admission)

(BTW I was raised u/u, not as a religion but to expose me to the beliefs of different people -)

I googled u u and got the photo below. I don't think that is what you meant. What is uu

post-187908-0-74810900-1416103078_thumb.

Unitarian /Universalist

For the most part they are deist (but some congregations are humanist)

Thanks. I was raised as a Catholic. The nuns beat me. The priests beat me. Gave me a lifelong hatred of religion so I raised my kids Buddhist because it's not a religion and they don't believe in a God.

Usually the schools devote about 3 days of the week to Buddhist related activities.

30 minutes would be unlikely.

PS

Thinking a 4 year old should not be in a Thai school.

I can only go by what I was told by the administrator at the school. She told me

that Buddhist teaching was 30 minutes on Friday morning from 8:00 to 8:30. I am

not a party to what exactly happens during the course of the day, so perhaps a

farang teacher here could chip in to this thread with a better idea of what actually

happens during the course of the school day....

i have a job opening for bean counters... picking up leaves fallen from trees on my lawn. hourly wage 27 Baht and 65 Satang.

ph34r.png

Nope.....

http://www.alternet.org/story/155985/5_reasons_america_is_not_--_and_has_never_been_--_a_christian_nation

1. The Text of the Constitution Does Not Say the United States Is a Christian Nation

If a Christian nation had been the intent of the founders, they would have put that in the Constitution, front and center. Yet the text of the Constitution contains no references to God, Jesus Christ, or Christianity. That document does not state that our country is an officially Christian nation.

You have a bit of trouble seeing the forest through the trees.

Whats more, if you cannot see the influences of Christianity throughout the history of the US then you should have much larger concerns for your daughter's future--she may have inherited your intellect.

Nope.....

it is never too late to add a little education/knowledge. here some facts for you:

-"In God we trust" was adopted as the official motto of the United States in 1956 as an alternative or replacement to the unofficial motto of E pluribus unum...

-I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God...

-since 1864 every U.S. coin minted says "In God we trust"...

whistling.gif

Why not have a little faith in your child to be able to make her own mind up about beliefs when she gets older? She will then also be able to assist you with your own understanding.

I do have faith. So I wish for her to be older and be able to reason before she is presented

with the concept of religion. Then she can decide for herself.

Nope.....

it is never too late to add a little education/knowledge. here some facts for you:

-"In God we trust" was adopted as the official motto of the United States in 1956 as an alternative or replacement to the unofficial motto of E pluribus unum...

-I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God...

-since 1864 every U.S. coin minted says "In God we trust"...

whistling.gif

Under god was added to the pledge in 1954. Scarcely makes Christianity a cornerstone

of America. So in the life of an American student, the word god is used for 1 second in

the course of his/her student day. And you are comparing that to the how Buddhism

is drilled into students here ? Wow......