Good Samaritan pays big fine to free popular garbage collector from jail

Lite Beer

Good Samaritan pays big fine to free popular garbage collector from jail
Panor Chomphusri,
Jessada Jantararak,
Tanatpong Kongsai
The Nation

30247810-01_big.jpg

Garbage collector Surat Maneenop-paratsuda is freed after a brief spell in prison thanks to a good Samaritan who paid the Bt133,400 fine on his behalf. Surat was ordered to pay the hefty fine for selling CDs that he had collected from trash.

BANGKOK: -- A Good Samaritan who wishes to remain anonymous has paid a Bt133,400 fine for a garbage collector who would otherwise have to spend 667 days in jail for selling "pirated" movie and music compact discs from scrap he had collected.

Surat Maneenopparatsuda, who sold the CDs at just Bt20 apiece, ended up being convicted of copyright infringement.

On Thursday, the Supreme Court upheld the guilty verdict and ordered Surat to pay a Bt133,400 fine for the crimes committed. Because he had no cash to pay the hefty sum, the 28-year-old man was taken to Pathum Thani Central Detention Centre to serve time instead (a day in prison is counted as Bt200 in fines).

Surat has attracted much public sympathy, partly because he committed the crime out of ignorance. At Saphan Sung District Office, he is a well-loved and hard-working garbage collector.

Woranai Bamnejphan, a lawyer for the good Samaritan, paid the fine for Surat at the Criminal Court on Ratchadaphisek Road in Bangkok yesterday morning.

After receiving a receipt and the court order to release Surat to freedom, he quickly headed to Pathum Thani Central Detention Centre.

"I can't disclose details. The donor of the money wishes to remain anonymous," Woranai said.

Saphan Sung District Office director Kanchana Charbsuwan also showed up at the court later in the morning to pay the fine with money from Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra and Interior Minister General Anupong Paochinda.

"I found out that someone had already paid the fine for him," Kanchana said. "Although I don't know who that person is, I would like to say thank you for extending help to Surat."

She said many people had sympathy for Surat because he was a well-loved worker. "His daughter has also had health problems."

Surat's daughter Jantima and his father Surasit Maneenopparatsuda rushed to the court as soon as they heard that the fine had been paid.

"We are grateful for the many people who wish to help our family," Surasit said. He then rushed to Pathum Thani Central Detention Centre to see his son.

After being released, Surat expressed thanks to everyone who offered him help. "I will go back to work to support my parents and my daughter," he said.

Later in the day, Surat gave flowers to Sukhumbhand for extending help and allowing him to continue working for the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA).

"At first, I was so worried about the legal proceedings that I dared not inform my supervisor. I was afraid I would be fired," he said.

But his case became news and later on the BMA stepped in to help by providing lawyers and moral support.

"I've learned an expensive lesson. Back then, I didn't know selling those CDs was against the law. It was the first time I sold those CDs too.

"Some CDs came from piles of garbage, some from my own house, and some from my friends. My wife was pregnant with our second child at that time.

"So I scoured the house for something I could sell," Surat recounted. "In fact, my stall had used clothes and bags too."

Kanchana said Surat had been working hard and had lately developed hypertension. "We will send him to a hospital today," she said yesterday.

Sukhumbhand said the BMA had extended help to Surat as soon as it found out what happened.

"Because the BMA can't use its financial resources for such cases, we are considering a plan to set up a fund to help our employees and workers," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Good-Samaritan-pays-big-fine-to-free-popular-garba-30247810.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-15

• Like 2

Incredible. I really don't understand the charges. If the CDs were in the garbage, that indicates that somebody bought them legitimately somewhere. That means the winged monkeys have already collected their royalties, piece of the action, etc. So why is it a crime to recycle them?? The people who do sell copied cds, etc, don't seem to go to jail, I wonder why?? At 200 baht per day in prison to pay off the fine, this poor guy would have spent the rest of his life in prison.

• Like 2

Keep in mind that this is what happens to people who have no money or no friends in high positions in Thailand.

With money and friends in high positions you can almost do everything you want, just pay some money under the table and off you go!

What did the judge think when he send this 'poor' guy to jail?

Well done to the generous benefactor as it helps restore faith in the best of human nature.

On the other hand it accentuates disgust and mistrust of what is laughingly called Thai ' justice ' and how it is administered.

You call this "Justice".

A country where a convicted murderer can walk free after paying bail but where an old man is convicted for "lese majesty" and denied bail?

Even a third world country has a better justice as this country.

Keep in mind that this is what happens to people who have no money or no friends in high positions in Thailand.

With money and friends in high positions you can almost do everything you want, just pay some money under the table and off you go!

What did the judge think when he send this 'poor' guy to jail?

Would not have thought a thing--no conscience, devoid of feeling, maybe got some power feeling dishing out the sentence, wrong person doing the justice work, connections for the job ?? To some lower classes are scum and therefore treated as such. A control freak in a high position ?

• Like 1

It's incredible that this ever made it to court. After all, fake CD's are available everywhere in Thailand and I'm sure the sellers don't go to jail.

However, in the UK he would certainly have been charged with theft for removing stuff from the garbage.

Not completely accurate, Yes it constitutes theft but a charge doesn't necessarily follow when everything is taken into consideration.

My hat is off to the benefactor here. Whoever you are, THANK YOU!

This guy should have never been prosecuted, at least as far as what I know about the case.

If ANYBODY deserved a 500 baht fine/slap on the wrist, it was this guy! Not some pickpocket katoey in a Pattaya baht bus.

THOSE are the ones that should get the 2-3 year sentence!

Well done to the generous benefactor as it helps restore faith in the best of human nature.

On the other hand it accentuates disgust and mistrust of what is laughingly called Thai ' justice ' and how it is administered.

You call this "Justice".

A country where a convicted murderer can walk free after paying bail but where an old man is convicted for "lese majesty" and denied bail?

Even a third world country has a better justice as this country.

I hope you are not suggesting I called it justice, the exact opposite if you read correctly.

In my country of origin it's quite common to get heavier sentences with crimes regarding finance(a single song download by an eleven year old resulted in 600€ and confiscation of a laptop, to the parent) than with inflicting damage to alive person (6 months suspended sentence for assault & battery, with 200€ compensation to the victim) - thus kudos to the mystery good samaritan.

This has been hanging over his head for years.What that has done to him no one knows.Probably punishment enough.

Thailand lets itself down all the time.Justice system is about on par with the late middle ages in Europe in many respects.

It will remain a third world country until they wake up and realise that.

It seems ludicrous a Judge would punish this guy so hard considering the situation. If he was selling new pirated DVD's by the truck load fair enough...but he wasn't.

I couldn't have said this better, except to say all those "Judges" in the court system who created and then agreed to this draconian punishment should be ashamed of themselves. They obviously have no concept of what it's like to be poor in this country.

• Like 2

the mind boggles the guy who sentenced him is a JUDGE,? a judge who is so out of touch with reality, (still it does happen in the uk with 85 year old judges making senile comments and handing down stupid sentences). poor guy looking out for his family. why dont the authorities take a trip to MBK or PANTIP PLAZA there are a few fakes there.

This story makes my blood boil! What laws did he break? he sold junk, things that others threw out. Did he repackage them as can be seen any dam day in this country especially along the larger roads in BKK and in every night or Saturday market here in LOS, or for that matter anywhere in SEA!

How many people have seen CD's hanging from the backs of carts, trailers, and even bicycles? Are they infringing on some company's rights? I have even seen them hanging in fields in the Midwest in the US to frighten the birds off. Are these farmers infringing on those same rights? Enough already with this bit! No one gets hurt, except the companies that produce the stuff and they are making enough anyway.

Selling re-packaged CD's or DVD's is something all together different. That is breaking the law. But to say that he was doing this with the items that he picked out from the garaged is I guess the question. But the article does not say or makes that clear. If he was then, just like all the others that are selling boot-legged copies he is guilty. But to go after a garbageman and not the organizations selling in clear view of the BIB on the streets at their nice well lite stalls where no mystery of what it is that they are selling is totally beyond me.

I was in the film industry (Hollywood and NYC) and so can say with certainly that this situation is a problem, yes, but not as much of one as the industry would like you to believe!

• Like 1