Thoughts on a bike for touring

Badrabbit

I looked only, too much for me!! Like to look at bikes!

Me too and the girls too, I have to admit but I can't ride/shag them all, but a man got to have his dreams, eh.

Have you considered the Ducati Hyperstrada, I had a test ride on one and my wife kept asking me in the evening; what do you smile/laugh about?

What a bike man, a perfect one person touring bike.

But sadly as you, I just can't justify shelling out +500k baht out on one, but app. 300k baht will be okay.

Unfortunately my budget will be under 500k probably will not want to spend more than 450k on the next bike, and that has to be fully loaded, so my choice will most likely be the V Strom, NC750 or the new Versys 650 all good bikes of course, I have my Z1000 at the moment which is just fantastic but for me it's no good for very long trips due to "where do you put everything" hate wearing anything on my back and not happy with a bag strapped to the tail, no hurry, loving the Zed but when it's sold eventually it will be a more practical bike for touring!! Edited by Badrabbit

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Triumph is reducing its prices most probably so Tiger 800 or Tiger explorer might come at good prices.

Also please check Suzuki V Strom 1000:

http://www.thaisuzuki.co.th/bigbike/home.php?id_product=145&type=information#information

it is 698 K THB not a lot more than versys 1000 and it is only 228 kg wet. Much more of an ADV/touring bike than versys especially with that grunty v twin!

looks good:

14_Suzuki_VStrom1000_3.jpg

The Tiger would have to be in the 400-450K range for me to consider it. Otherwise I would prefer the Kawasaki as it scales perfectly from the 500X....3x the HP and 3x the cost. The Tiger would have to cost no more than 475K for me to be interested.

The V-Strom, while interesting due to the V-twin engine, is IMHO overpriced compared to the Versys. You give up the vast Kawasaki support network, 30 HP and have to pay more? No thanks. Throw in all that exposed exhaust and engine, along with no easy way to mount a skid plate, and stock it really isn't much better than the Versys off-road.

Ideally I would like a bike that is a multiple of what I have now. X% increase in prices gives the same increase in power. I want lots of suspension travel (the V-Strom has 160mm F & 162?mm R versus the 150mm F&R on the Versys), ground clearance (165mm on the V-Strom vs. Versys's 155mm) and seat height (although I've come to realise that the shape of where your legs go has a big part to play on that...but the Versys is 5mm lower). Funny thing is that both of these bikes have less ground clearance as well as much higher seats than the CB500X. Their suspensions travel further though....

**edit**

Some truly atrocious grammar.

Edited by dave_boo

Went to see the Versys 1000cc this morning, looks good, felt very comfortable, big bike!! Versys 650 not come until next month!

Also saw the Versys 1000 today, and as much as it pains me to say it, if Honda doesn't release an adventure style/touring bike in the 800-1000cc range I'll have to buy that Kawi for my next bike.

Comfortwise my CB500X has been great. Excellent mileage and it's never let me down. But I definitely want something that has a bit more oomph that will still allow me to loaf along.

honda has it here as vfr1200x crosstourer.

very good reviews, great engine, style, single sided nice looking swingarm, cross spoked rims and lots of tech but again not cheap at 860 k THB still honda bigwing says they sell this model well.

I thought about it. But, as you said, it's not cheap...I can have the Versys 1000 and my CB500X with 15,000 baht left in my pocket! That's a lot of fuel-some 12K km on the 500X. smile.png

There's also the issue of weight. Kerb weight is listed at 288kg. That's almost 40kg more than the Versys. Granted, on the Versys if I would take it touring with the missus, I'd be looking at some 450kg with loaded panniers and top box, I really wouldn't want to stretch that out to almost 500!

Triumph is reducing its prices most probably so Tiger 800 or Tiger explorer might come at good prices.

Also please check Suzuki V Strom 1000:

http://www.thaisuzuki.co.th/bigbike/home.php?id_product=145&type=information#information

it is 698 K THB not a lot more than versys 1000 and it is only 228 kg wet. Much more of an ADV/touring bike than versys especially with that grunty v twin!

looks good:

14_Suzuki_VStrom1000_3.jpg

ll2,do you know what the new Triumph prices will be or when they will be reduced?.

Cheers

it has been rumored recently.

so, maybe at the moto expo end of November.

you can check with 'brit bike' as well.

• Like 1

Went to see the Versys 1000cc this morning, looks good, felt very comfortable, big bike!! Versys 650 not come until next month!

Also saw the Versys 1000 today, and as much as it pains me to say it, if Honda doesn't release an adventure style/touring bike in the 800-1000cc range I'll have to buy that Kawi for my next bike.

Comfortwise my CB500X has been great. Excellent mileage and it's never let me down. But I definitely want something that has a bit more oomph that will still allow me to loaf along.

honda has it here as vfr1200x crosstourer.

very good reviews, great engine, style, single sided nice looking swingarm, cross spoked rims and lots of tech but again not cheap at 860 k THB still honda bigwing says they sell this model well.

I thought about it. But, as you said, it's not cheap...I can have the Versys 1000 and my CB500X with 15,000 baht left in my pocket! That's a lot of fuel-some 12K km on the 500X. :)

There's also the issue of weight. Kerb weight is listed at 288kg. That's almost 40kg more than the Versys. Granted, on the Versys if I would take it touring with the missus, I'd be looking at some 450kg with loaded panniers and top box, I really wouldn't want to stretch that out to almost 500!

Sounds like the Kawi is perfect for your needs at a decent price. It seems that this Honda isn't really doing it for you, maybe it's time to forget about brand loyalty and go buy the bike that will put the biggest smile on your face?

Did you have any serious quality or service issues with your last Kawasaki?

I never understood brand loyalty, why are some of your guys that? Do they give you a special discount? the 5th bike bought in a row from them is for free?

Nonsence, they are all just huge companies that wants to make money and nothing else and they don't give a shit about you as a individual person.

Not one of them stands high above the rest in terms of: best quality/best ride and so on.

All of the major bike manufactors makes some great bikes but none of them are the best in all classes.

• Like 1

Sounds like the Kawi is perfect for your needs at a decent price. It seems that this Honda isn't really doing it for you, maybe it's time to forget about brand loyalty and go buy the bike that will put the biggest smile on your face?

Did you have any serious quality or service issues with your last Kawasaki?

Damn decent price in my book. Kawasaki is doing with the Versys 1000 what they did with their ER-6 series when first released. Great value.

I'm giving Honda a chance on their new bike that is rumoured to be released; but if it doesn't tick the right boxes than I'll have to give up their boring reliability and upgrade with another brand. It will be the middle of next year for my next purchase as the wait from the Ninja 250 (Oct 2008) to the CB500X (Aug 2013) was way too long. I'll definitely keep my 500X for city riding or if I have a shortish tour single up.

I had more service issues with the Ninjette than all my Honda bikes combined. You see this one time I left for overseas and forgot to remind the missus to fire up or ride the bike every so often. Apparently I left it with gasohol and the throttle bodies got screwed up. As it was after warranty I paid out of pocket for it, but Kawasaki Nakhon Sawan sorted that out with their usual professionalism. I still go by every now and again and purchase my Motul chain lube from them. Definitely tickles my perverse sense of humour to pull up to the dealership with my CB500X. Oh...and it ate aftermarket chains like nobody's business (*cough* Goat Mountain). An OEM chain and a bit more lube more frequently fixed all that up though.

The relative lack of Honda service stations did cause me pause when I purchased the 500X. It's a good 4 hours down to BKK and even more over to the Isaan dealer. While all of my bikes have proven to be really reliable, other than my boneheaded choices regarding the storage, the comfort of mind that isa offered by nation-wide dealerships can not be over-stressed.

• Like 1

I never understood brand loyalty, why are some of your guys that? Do they give you a special discount? the 5th bike bought in a row from them is for free?

Nonsence, they are all just huge companies that wants to make money and nothing else and they don't give a shit about you as a individual person.

Not one of them stands high above the rest in terms of: best quality/best ride and so on.

All of the major bike manufactors makes some great bikes but none of them are the best in all classes.

I'm not qualified to give a psychoanalysis on the pathologies of brand loyalty, but I would hazard a guess that it probably falls into the same category as having your favourite sports team (who still throws the "V" to Leeds and West Ham?).

I've had 'spirited' discussions with Jonny in the past about the Honda/Kawasaki issues...but I'd still buy him a pint if we ever ran into each other, I also am critical towards Honda when it is warranted. But I will continue to buy their boring reliability as long as it fits MY needs. In 2008 they had nothing that fit my needs...I purchased from a competitor. For my next upgrade they currently have nothing that fits my needs and I may need to go back to the same competitor who has a bike that checks the boxes for what I need.

And the best class is a bit individual isn't it? Granted, one could look at specs and say this one or that one is the best, but does it fit your needs? Some want sports bikes....is the 899 the pinnacle for the mid-sized class? Probably...unless the price or the comfort level or something else puts you off. The Super Tenere is probably the best adventure bike available in LOS...but the price makes it hard to justify against the Versys. The more I look at the various options...the more the Versys looks really good. BMW is stupidly priced. Tiger, currently, is also. IMHO the V-Strom is less bike for more money than the Versys.

• Like 1

You see this one time I left for overseas and forgot to remind the missus to fire up or ride the bike every so often. Apparently I left it with gasohol and the throttle bodies got screwed up.

I store my car, HD and PCX with Max 44 fuel additive in the gasahol. Prevents separation of the alcohol and gasoline.

PCX and car EFI, HD Mikuni flatslide.

This year parked first of May, charged batteries first of Nov and rode away.

No issues with any of them.

Ran well.

• Like 2

They give me discount:)

Plus nothing wrong with brand loyalty. If you dont get any problems with one specific brand, it is normal to buy a bike from the same brand.

Moreover, for example, if yamaha releases the new r1 at a reasonable price here, i go buy it instead of older tech honda cbr1000rr, nothing wrong with that as well.

But this Kawa versys1000 really does not make any sense to me. Looks a lot boring too IMO.

At least get the ninja1000 with more power and aerodynamics.

Still, you can get a v strom 650 for half the price and call it a day. It has enough power for all conditions here, it can go off road nicely and it is a tested and proven bullet proof bike.

You will hardly use the extra power of versys 1000 if you buy it and forget off road.

Edited by ll2

Plus nothing wrong with brand loyalty. If you dont get any problems with one specific brand, it is normal to buy a bike from the same brand.

Moreover, for example, if yamaha releases the new r1 at a reasonable price here, i go buy it instead of older tech honda cbr1000rr, nothing wrong with that as well.

But this Kawa versys1000 really does not make any sense to me. Looks a lot boring too IMO.

Still, you can get a v strom 650 for half the price and call it a day. It has enough power for all conditions here, it can go off road nicely and it is a tested and proven bullet proof bike.

You will hardly use the extra power of versys 1000 if you buy it and forget off road.

I must be misunderstanding your post because it does not make sense to me.

You make it sound as if the Versys doesn't have enough power (recommending the Ninja 1000 over it for the extra ~5 hp) and then say one would hardly use the extra power of the Versys over the V-Strom. Perhaps you think that 120hp isn't enough, as that is what both the Versys and CBR make (and the Versys is 30K cheaper) and you talk of going with the R1.

The riding position of the Versys is superior to the Ninja for touring (and blows away the CBR), the suspension will be better for touring, etc.

If the V-Strom 650 is "good enough" (and I am not saying it's not a good bike) than shouldn't your CBR650 be good enough that you don't really need to consider a bigger bike?

I can't follow you II2, you say that you hardly ever uses the power on a versys 1000 compared to the 650 model but yet you want a 1000cc sportsbike yourself? Is your cbr650f not powerfull enough for you?

I have always bought the bikes that rocked my boat during the years as a biker. yamaha sr500(used)-hd low rider(used)-suzuki 600gfx(new) (not sure about the gxt thing, he-he)-motoguzzi 850lm2(used)- hd roadking(used) (in thailand). No of those bikes never gave me any problems at all and as you can see a very mixed selection of brands, okay the guzzi needed a new battery but not really the bikes fault.

My next big bike will most likely be the versys 650 as they are made in Thailand and a newish one can be had for app 200/240k baht and at 52 I am too old to ride like like I stole it and I can't be a real biker anymore since I got a kid so I can only go on short trips now and again.

If the V-Strom 650 is "good enough" (and I am not saying it's not a good bike) than shouldn't your CBR650 be good enough that you don't really need to consider a bigger bike?

exactly, you understand it nicely!

but be honest to yourself and if you think you need that extra power, go buy a versys 1000.

Edited by ll2

I've seen some CB500X for sale as low as 91K and some for 130K.
If you put some decent touring tires on it like Angel GT, it's an awesome low cost bike for touring for one person.

I think bang for the bucket in quality and engine, the V-Strom beats the Kawasaki for sure.

I never tried a V-Strom, but the first thing I noticed on the versys was the vibration of the bike (compared to a cb500)

brfsa2: Does the CB500X not vibrate over 5k RPM? My CBR500R does that and it's a pain for touring. Just did a trip yesterday and after 150km with many stretches of 120-150 km/h it's really unpleasant. It wasn't even a really long trip and I was really happy to get off the bike. The vibrations come from the engine and can be felt in the handle bars, the seat as well as the legs that touch the tank area. Plus the seat isn't comfortable for long rides. My hands were numb after the ride. maybe the X is sufficiently different enough to dampen those vibrations but I wouldn't expect so. In any case I would recommend against the 500s for touring if you have a bit money to spend on one of the proper touring bikes.

Edited by eisfeld

That V Strom looks fantastic, I think that would be my choice eventually!!

I don't like the beak under the head lights, is it a duck now, if so, can it swimtongue.png ?

The Versys M2 and M3 have rubber mounted engine so the vibes should be pretty much eliminated but can't say for sure since I haven't tried either.

Now since Triumph are lowering the prices drastically (well we shall see on Friday) the Tiger 800 might suddenly be very attractive as touring bike, 95HP sounds good to me and that 3 pot engine is sweet man.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

rumor is that, Suzuki Thailand will sell new updated v strom xt 650 for 360 k THB soon with some bonus accessories such as crash bars, hand protectors, etc.

AC2_3807.jpg_650.jpg

That's interesting. Currently the V-Strom 650 is going for 125% of what it costs in the States. The XT costs 10,400 USD, so applying the same ratio it would seem that it should actually cost 426K thb. We'll see though.

brfsa2: Does the CB500X not vibrate over 5k RPM? My CBR500R does that and it's a pain for touring. Just did a trip yesterday and after 150km with many stretches of 120-150 km/h it's really unpleasant. It wasn't even a really long trip and I was really happy to get off the bike. The vibrations come from the engine and can be felt in the handle bars, the seat as well as the legs that touch the tank area. Plus the seat isn't comfortable for long rides. My hands were numb after the ride. maybe the X is sufficiently different enough to dampen those vibrations but I wouldn't expect so. In any case I would recommend against the 500s for touring if you have a bit money to spend on one of the proper touring bikes.

All bikes vibrate at some point. I haven't found the 500X to be excessive. I will give you that up to and around 4k (which in top gear nets 88-90km/h or 55 mph) it is extremely smooth. Since those are the usual speed limits most places it makes sense that Honda made it that way.

I've put in 1000 km days on the 500X. They've gotten a lot easier since I installed the Airhawk; but it is definitely doable. Also check and make sure your gloves have some padding on the palms. A necessity for touring; in spirited riding you want as little as possible between you and the controls, but a slightly more vague feeling when eating up the distance is a good trade off.

Strange. I had no problems on high rpms with my cbr500r.

possibly, you squeeze the handle bars and hold them tight more than needed. Just relax and try to grab the bike with your knees and thigh, your problems will be over.

Never got a numb hand with cbr500r even at speeds above 160 kph for hours. Just once slighty during the brake in i remember. But just once.

I toured many kms also and it is very comfy and capable even two up.

If they give new versys xt650 with all those mods in the photo, it will be a great valur at 360 k thb. It is an updated version with an updated engine and components.

I never felt too much vibration on my CB500F. Only above 7000 RPM I feel some vibrations, but not that much. best speed I find is 110Km/h which is around 5600RPM, on top of the power band.

The hands will go numb when there is preasure on the hands, for example, when my G/F is riding with me, she likes to rest on my back a little, which causes numbness on my hands.

I've ridden 400Km in one day at around 120km/h and had no issues at all.

but yeah, the seats of the CB500X/F/R are not that great. they are just OK.

also, maybe too high PSI on the tires will be a hard ride...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

All bikes vibrate at some point. I haven't found the 500X to be excessive. I will give you that up to and around 4k (which in top gear nets 88-90km/h or 55 mph) it is extremely smooth. Since those are the usual speed limits most places it makes sense that Honda made it that way.

I've put in 1000 km days on the 500X. They've gotten a lot easier since I installed the Airhawk; but it is definitely doable. Also check and make sure your gloves have some padding on the palms. A necessity for touring; in spirited riding you want as little as possible between you and the controls, but a slightly more vague feeling when eating up the distance is a good trade off.

Yes up to 100km/h it is very pleasantly smooth. That means for citiy commute style riding it's a very good bike. Very good bang for the buck. Power is sufficient and for up to 1h the seat is comfortable enough. No real complains there. Also very reliable, it never let me down in 30k kilometers.

possibly, you squeeze the handle bars and hold them tight more than needed. Just relax and try to grab the bike with your knees and thigh, your problems will be over.

Never got a numb hand with cbr500r even at speeds above 160 kph for hours. Just once slighty during the brake in i remember. But just once.

If they give new versys xt650 with all those mods in the photo, it will be a great valur at 360 k thb. It is an updated version with an updated engine and components.

Yea I was squeezing the handle bars a bit tight indeed. You can probably work around the numb hands with better gloves and riding more relaxed. But the vibrations are still felt through your knees and the seat anyways. I ride two up nearly all the time, maybe that increases vibrations as engine has more load? But just because of the lack of torque at 120+ km/h I'd go for something else with more cc for touring.

As a side note: at trips with Honda Bigwing, virtually no 500s are to be seen anymore here, everyone upgraded to either the 650s (the majority) or NC750X (a few). A year ago the 500s dominated. Obviously the 650s were not around then yet, just saying that a lot of people eventually feel the need to upgrade (for various reasons).

Yes up to 100km/h it is very pleasantly smooth. That means for citiy commute style riding it's a very good bike. Very good bang for the buck. Power is sufficient and for up to 1h the seat is comfortable enough. No real complains there. Also very reliable, it never let me down in 30k kilometers.

Yea I was squeezing the handle bars a bit tight indeed. You can probably work around the numb hands with better gloves and riding more relaxed. But the vibrations are still felt through your knees and the seat anyways. I ride two up nearly all the time, maybe that increases vibrations as engine has more load? But just because of the lack of torque at 120+ km/h I'd go for something else with more cc for touring.

As a side note: at trips with Honda Bigwing, virtually no 500s are to be seen anymore here, everyone upgraded to either the 650s (the majority) or NC750X (a few). A year ago the 500s dominated. Obviously the 650s were not around then yet, just saying that a lot of people eventually feel the need to upgrade (for various reasons).

cbr500r is 210 k thb and cbr650f is 300 k thb, price difference is not much IMO so naturally Thai people go for the faster and better.

sometimes I really hate the gear box of the CB500F, the CBR650F is so much better and smooth...

the bike is not worth the 90K baht difference, anyone going for the CB500 new i would call a dumb a s s

• Like 1

V strom has one of the toughest most proven engines in biking raced , toured its a peach capable of over 100,000kms trouble free

Yes both the v-strom and versys 650 engines are pretty much bullet proof, they been on the market for a loooong time and shown their duability.

Here is a versys that have done almost 170k km and the engine is still not using oil and has never been opened, not bad, eh.

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php/topic,17932.0.html?PHPSESSID=94ad9a272935149d900efd06b7614352

sometimes I really hate the gear box of the CB500F, the CBR650F is so much better and smooth...

the bike is not worth the 90K baht difference, anyone going for the CB500 new i would call a dumb a s s

agreed. But 500 series is great for beginners - and experienced alike - and cbr650f might be too much for such a person. so starting on a honda 500 series is safe and fun.

• Like 1