New requirements for ED-Visa extensions in Phuket

New requirements for ED-Visa extensions in Phuket

BANGKOK: -- Thaivisa.com has today been made aware of new rules being enforced in Phuket for those studying on a so called ED-Visa.

The new rules are with regards to the amount of time students are required to study.

With immediate effect students in Phuket are now required to attend classes 5 times per week, for 2 hours per class.

This latest news follows a series of changes in the process of applying for extension of stay based on Non-Immigrant ED. Recent months have seen several posts to the visa section of the Thaivisa forum reporting similar changes to the amount of hours required to study.

It has also been confirmed to Thaivisa that in Bangkok there is a requirement for students to attend classes 4 times per week for 2 hours per class, which has previously been reported by several members in our visa forum, as this post from earlier in November shows.

Thaivisa.com is currently working to seek official confirmation if these new rules will come into practice nationwide.

Thaivisa.com would like to thank Mac Walen of Walen School of Thai for clarifying the new requirements as received from the Private Education Commission.

tvn.png
-- 2014-11-15

• Like 2

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So can ThaiVisa/Walen school clarify minimum requirements to extend the permission to stay for those who are NOT attending a language school or course? For example, diving school, university, bhuddism/religious study, animal study, kite surfing, etc.

What about those with multiple entry non-ed visas?

Most dive schools and some of the others you mentioned are not registered with the Ministry of Education which means they cannot qualify for extensions. Even getting a visa for them at many embassies and official consulates is not possible. Their a few honorary consulates that will issue a multiple entry ED visa for them.

University studies are not a problem and still get one year extensions for full time study.

Those with multiple entry ED visas have been questioned about what they are doing on entry by immigration. Some have been asked for student ID's or some other proof the are really going to school.

• Like 1

Nothing has changed at my school in Pattaya. I would do the 4 days a week if necessary but that is massive amount of work for learning a language already feel like I'm studying nonstop with just 2 days.

2 2 hour days is standard workload for a single university course.

But I guess that depends on the amount of homework the instructor gives out.

Edited by OnMyWay2
  • Like 1

So inflexible.
Why they let not buy the students a lesson bundle per year.
For example: 52 weeks x 10 hours = 520 hours per year.
If a student wants to study more intensively he can do that.
Besides, the student could have a schoolbook and the school will stamp or confirms the visited hours.
Easy.
Besides, the students can then travel inside the country (and spend money!!!), so as better to learn and practise the language.

Sometimes I have the feeling this whole visa changes scare people away from visit Thailand!

• Like 2

Yes luckily for me I was just in penang and got denied but when I got my refund from the school he told me the new rules from immigration are that you MUST study 5 days a week for 2 hours a day AND when you go for your extenstion they will charge you 1900 baht and ONLY extend for 1 month to begin with, After that month you go back again and pay another 1900 baht and may be given 1,3 or 12 months....So you may have to go every month to immigration and pay 1900 month to extend...making language schools extremely expensive now!

• Like 1

How many language schools are going to be able to afford to pay their teachers to teach 5 days a week and how many students will pay the extra costs associated with the extra studying...Sounds like a lot less people studying and a lot less jobs/money. As for those that were using them to work illegally, They will just find another way to keep working illegally.....

• Like 1

On every topic I can see two kind of comments: ironic one and suggesting one.

It seems like nobody get the fact that Thailand is growing too fast and when they do something new often they don't even imagine what they are doing.

They will tune up everything and one day, following all of your suggestions, make thailand like UK.

What will we do once thailand will be like UK?

Leave it, go to a 3rd world country, subscribe to a famous forum and start giving suggestion again?

• Like 2

this is going to make an ED visa (with extensions) an expensive option in Bangkok and Phuket now

Yes, instead of 25-30 000, it could be soon 70-80 000 Baht per year. It will cut down the business considerably.

Currently Walen School on Sukhumvit road in Bangkok charges 39000 thai baht per year.

I have booked my course 3 weeks ago and I am looking forward to it.

It's 2 hours a day 4 days a week. I thought it's not enough to be honest and would love 4 hours a day 5 days a week. ;-)

Edited by bigwhitewarrior

All these Loopholes need closing. The Marry extension has been shut down nearly by home visits. Ed Visas are exploited , but not by Wallen, i add., abusers bring it on for the Genuine. Tycoon is right.thumbsup.gif

Home visits for an extension based upon marriage? I have already done 7 of them and never had one.

You must be reading or hearing some nonsense rumors.

It is well known that their are some schools that perpetrate the abuse of ED visas and extensions. But immigration and the MOE has shutdown a few of them already,

Home visits for an extension based upon marriage? I have already done 7 of them and never had one.

What do you mean ubonjoe? There are many reports of people receiving home visits for marriage extensions, I think mostly in the north east. I'm sure you've seen them..

What do you mean ubonjoe? There are many reports of people receiving home visits for marriage extensions, I think mostly in the north east. I'm sure you've seen them..

You snipped out what I was replying to "The Marry extension has been shut down nearly by home visits."

Which is wrong because it implies that there are constant home visits. They have not made getting extensions impossible.

There are only visits done for the first extension. Some offices don't do a home visit and others have your bring a witness or a statement from one.

Immigration had us get a letter from our local police instead of doing a home visit.

Nothing has changed at my school in Pattaya. I would do the 4 days a week if necessary but that is massive amount of work for learning a language already feel like I'm studying nonstop with just 2 days.

2 2 hour days is standard workload for a single university course.

But I guess that depends on the amount of homework the instructor gives out.

It could be a massive workload, your words, but isn't that why you chose to come to Thailand and learn Thai originally??

I'm pretty sure you could learn Thai in many other countries if that is your fervent desire.

This is crazy, I have been here for 1 year on an ED visa, go to my classes and actually try to learn thai.

I'm under 50, I work online. I make a lot of money and bring a lot of money into Thailand. Recently spent 250,000 baht on hospital bills for my partner, have a car, pay rent on a home, I spend over 100,000 baht a month in Thailand and I love it here. But what I cant put up with is the uncertainty of never knowing if I'm going to have to pack my bags and leave with a months notice, I have dogs, a car etc. I'd be screwed if i was given one week to up and leave.

Have also been told that we must now read and write, and that when I extend my visa in December I will be expected to know the alphabet, apparently my schooll was informed last week! Previously the first year was speaking only, so I have a couple weeks to learn the whole alphabet (good luck) even though when I extended 9 months ago immigration asked the school to bring the curriculum and were fully aware that year 1 was speaking only!!

So what are my options? Pay 100,000+ baht a year in school fees now to cover the extra hours, possibly pay 3800 baht a month for my partner and i if we have to keep extending? (my friend was given one month extensions every time with the "under consideration" stamp on it)

Paying over 200,000 baht a year to stay in Thailand is crazy, I'd rather go elsewhere but I don't know what options I have right now.

Going to research Vietnam and other places, but for work purposes I need a very reliable and fast internet connection, a bit of security would be a bonus. A visa stamp saying 12 months would be nice.

I know technically i'm "abusing" the ED visa since I work, but I do nothing but spend money here and I'm not doing something a Thai could do (it's very niche), and it's money that would not be in the Thai economy if I went home to Europe and worked, and it's another empty house on my Soi.

Having me here adds at least 1.5 million baht to the thai economy every year, but it's getting to the point where considering the cost and uncertainty I'm not sure it's worth the effort of staying here.

Anyone else know a good place in SE Asia where it's a bit more welcoming in regards to working etc?

• Like 2

One of the most annoying things with most of these language schools having now been around to a few of them is that many of the lessons are from some ridiculous time in the day (ie from 12.00 - 14.00) now I am an " early riser " ( kind respect where due ladies...) But when you like to wake up at 06.00 in the morning it bugger's up the whole day! There must be some schools somewhere that offer 07.00 - 09.00 or 08.00 -10.00 Its OK doing lessons 5 days a week but I am sure most people like to be outside and enjoy the day and not sat in a classroom in the middle of the day!?????

F.J x

Perhaps the "students" should reconsider if they really need to learn Thai at all if the school hours are that arduous.

Might be an idea for the Government to mandate all Thai language schools be located at least a 100km from any outlet serving alcohol, music, or ladies of the night.

Then we will see who really has the desire to learn the Thai language.

• Like 1

This is crazy, I have been here for 1 year on an ED visa, go to my classes and actually try to learn thai.

I'm under 50, I work online. I make a lot of money and bring a lot of money into Thailand. Recently spent 250,000 baht on hospital bills for my partner, have a car, pay rent on a home, I spend over 100,000 baht a month in Thailand and I love it here. But what I cant put up with is the uncertainty of never knowing if I'm going to have to pack my bags and leave with a months notice, I have dogs, a car etc. I'd be screwed if i was given one week to up and leave.

Have also been told that we must now read and write, and that when I extend my visa in December I will be expected to know the alphabet, apparently my schooll was informed last week! Previously the first year was speaking only, so I have a couple weeks to learn the whole alphabet (good luck) even though when I extended 9 months ago immigration asked the school to bring the curriculum and were fully aware that year 1 was speaking only!!

So what are my options? Pay 100,000+ baht a year in school fees now to cover the extra hours, possibly pay 3800 baht a month for my partner and i if we have to keep extending? (my friend was given one month extensions every time with the "under consideration" stamp on it)

Paying over 200,000 baht a year to stay in Thailand is crazy, I'd rather go elsewhere but I don't know what options I have right now.

Going to research Vietnam and other places, but for work purposes I need a very reliable and fast internet connection, a bit of security would be a bonus. A visa stamp saying 12 months would be nice.

I know technically i'm "abusing" the ED visa since I work, but I do nothing but spend money here and I'm not doing something a Thai could do (it's very niche), and it's money that would not be in the Thai economy if I went home to Europe and worked, and it's another empty house on my Soi.

Having me here adds at least 1.5 million baht to the thai economy every year, but it's getting to the point where considering the cost and uncertainty I'm not sure it's worth the effort of staying here.

Anyone else know a good place in SE Asia where it's a bit more welcoming in regards to working etc?

So you admit you are here on an Ed visa, working illegally, and complain that you actually have to learn the language as well?

Why is this so unjust?

I

• Like 1

So you admit you are here on an Ed visa, working illegally, and complain that you actually have to learn the language as well?

Why is this so unjust?

I

I'm already learning Thai, did you miss that part?

I'm not working illegally, Thai immigration said that people who work online and do not get paid by Thais or work for Thais were fine on ED visas. They're moving the goalposts and by making you extend on a monthly basis they are removing any and all security in your living situation.

100,000 baht "a month " God 100,000 baht is my total yearly outgoings " All In" how can you possibly spend so much money in what is mostly a 3rd world country ( almost ) - " amazing "